PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 players all time from different schools?

Eagle1
07-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Who are the top 5 players from your school all time?

lostaussie
07-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Who are the top 5 players from your school all time?That's a long history for some schools. Ima have to jot down some names and weed through them:D

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Who are the top 5 players from your school all time?

That is 101 years of football at Cameron and the oldest alumns I know played in the late 40's. I'd have a hard time listing the top 5 from last decade let alone the last 100 years.

hollywood
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Too broad of a spectrum IMO. Way too many to list.

BEAST
07-31-2013, 01:57 PM
No way I could even begin to put a top 5 list together for Brownwood.

BEAST

Eagle1
07-31-2013, 05:00 PM

BEAST

I would have to say jaxson Shipley would be one of the best to come out of brown wood and all though most lions would hate to admit it because of his troubles Kenny vacarro was a good one.

Eagle1
07-31-2013, 05:02 PM
That is 101 years of football at Cameron and the oldest alumns I know played in the late 40's. I'd have a hard time listing the top 5 from last decade let alone the last 100 years.

Who was the best player on your 81 state team?

hollywood
07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Brownwood has had many great ones. Jaxon Shipley would be up there at the top. Colby Freeman QB would be another. Stud!

Stephenville, many great ones as well. Kevin Kolb would be at the top if you consider success. Brandon Stewart had a bit of misfortune IMO. Competed for the starting job at Tennessee against Payton Manning. We all know how that went. Very talented.

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Who was the best player on your 81 state team?

The best football player.... LB/FB Nelson Huffman.

lostaussie
07-31-2013, 08:36 PM
The best football player.... LB/FB Nelson Huffman.wasn't there a kid named Riggins? Seems like he ran all over us .

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2013, 08:43 PM

BEAST

I would have to say Lawrence Elkins is the top 5.

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2013, 08:56 PM
wasn't there a kid named Riggins? Seems like he ran all over us .

Yes there was RB Oscar Riggins; he ran over a lot of teams. However it was RB Freddie Capers scored a TD and Tight End Victor Powell caught two TD passes, QB Paul Hoelscher threw two TDs and Mariano DeLaRosa kicked the field goal. It was DE Jimmie Brown and LB Nelson Huffman that terrorized your QB all afternoon. Huffman was the FB that was leading Riggins, along with about 6 others that was coming around the corner on those Wing T Power Sweeps. Huffman was the best football player though. Ran a 49 flat 400 meters weighing 215 pds on the District Champ 1600 meter relay. 2 time All-State LB. Went on to play at Baylor.

BwdLion73
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Picking a top five would be hard for any of us. Since we have a little time until all the fightin and feuding starts you should go to Gordon Wood hall of champions...Interesting insight on a lot of high school football (not just Brownwood)

Cool place to visit if you are into High School Football history. Would be a great place for a dad to take his kid. (google it)

oldtownag
07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Ok, so here is "my opinion" on Carthage players. I am sure I am leaving off some great ones but if I am I am not familiar with them:

1. Audray McMillian - Freshman starting QB at UH got hurt and came back as DB. 8 Seasons and Pro Bowler in NFL
2. John Booty - Overachiever that was in the shadows of others while in school but ended up playing 8 years in NFL.
3. Dwight Smith - Underachiever with the most talent ever to play for Carthage.
4. Edward Pope - 4 year starter and 3 state championships at Carthage. Should get lots of playing time at Texas A&M this year.
5. Probably me - NOT

FB-fanatic
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Would have to start with John Henry - State Champs 1987.

Aggie98
07-31-2013, 10:21 PM
E.D. Jackson and Jamar Toombs are the first two that come to mind.

Rabid Cougar
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM

These are just off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Billy Pittman 2002 QB. Played WR on 2005 University of Texas National Championship Team
Paul Wayne Johnson 1989 QB. Probably the best QB ever to play at Cameron. Went to Texas A&M.
Jafus White 1974 DB/RB. Played DB at Texas A&I and then with the Green Bay Packers.
Wayne Kirk 1968 LB/RB. Played OLB University of Texas
Mack McKinney 1966 DE. 3 year starter at University of Texas

BEAST
08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I would have to say jaxson Shipley would be one of the best to come out of brown wood and all though most lions would hate to admit it because of his troubles Kenny vacarro was a good one.

I have no problem with either of those kids. But we have had a lot of HS greats. No way I could narrow it down to just 5.

BEAST

Ville-D
08-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but I have to add myself to this list... I'd say I was roughly number 3,730,620 (give or take) to play ball in Texas since 1985...

I think my 5.00 flat in the 40 speaks for itself.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Dawgs
08-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok, so here is "my opinion" on Carthage players. I am sure I am leaving off some great ones but if I am I am not familiar with them:

1. Audray McMillian - Freshman starting QB at UH got hurt and came back as DB. 8 Seasons and Pro Bowler in NFL
2. John Booty - Overachiever that was in the shadows of others while in school but ended up playing 8 years in NFL.
3. Dwight Smith - Underachiever with the most talent ever to play for Carthage.
4. Edward Pope - 4 year starter and 3 state championships at Carthage. Should get lots of playing time at Texas A&M this year.
5. Probably me - NOT

This might sound crazy, but the best player to ever play at Carthage was Anthony Morgan. By no means best prospect or athlete, but IMO the best highschool player we have had. Kid was a straight gamer...No situation too big. Put 3-4" on that kid, and he is starting at a big time D1 school, getting ready to enter the draft.

Some other good ones are Jalen Claiborne, Kris Briggs, Johnny Baylous, Jamon Edwards, Anthony Pope. Lots of others, but too many to name. At Carthage we might not have always won, but we have ALWAYS had studs. Finally got coaching to go along with athletes, thus a awsome 5 year run.

cowboyandchrist
08-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Tatum
Larry Centers-All pro and super bowl ring
Larry Horton- The Bears
Travin Smith- Oakland Raiders
Steven Hodge-Cowboys
Bryce Bell- Redskins
Isaiah Thompson-Jets
D Moore-Oakland Raiders
There are more from Tatum that played in the NFL.

ctown81
08-02-2013, 03:50 PM
This might sound crazy, but the best player to ever play at Carthage was Anthony Morgan. By no means best prospect or athlete, but IMO the best highschool player we have had. Kid was a straight gamer...No situation too big. Put 3-4" on that kid, and he is starting at a big time D1 school, getting ready to enter the draft.

Some other good ones are Jalen Claiborne, Kris Briggs, Johnny Baylous, Jamon Edwards, Anthony Pope. Lots of others, but too many to name. At Carthage we might not have always won, but we have ALWAYS had studs. Finally got coaching to go along with athletes, thus a awsome 5 year run.

Anthony Pope and Johnny Baylous has to be on the short list for Carthage but like you said way to many to name. I don't know about the Anthony Morgan thing. I always thought blackshire was better all around. JMO

Scoop27
08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
East Bernard
Shane Lechler punter at A&M and now for the Texans
Michael Bankston at Sam Houston State and Arizona Cardinals
EB also had one other pro player but can't think of his name

XMan
08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Ernie Koy Jr
Ted Koy
Emmanuel Sanders
Hunter Goodwin