PDA

View Full Version : Celina will never be the same!

ynot
07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
As previously posted many of the Celina faithfull are not as frequent on the downlow as in the past, well in my short time in N Texas I used to live in Celina in the glory days but have stayed connected thru friends who have had and who have kids in the program currently. Im not one who professes to know more than the coaches do about X and O but I have seen Celina slowly dwindle ever since GA Moore left to take the helm at PP. There is very little doubt that the community and supporters have lost interest, why a growing community that has many transplants moving in that dont understand what Celina is all about and quite honestly dont care. This years team could end the season 16-0 but the talent just isnt there, the schedule is very very soft so victories are a given but my prediction Celina drops another notch this year and goes 9-4

Emerson1
07-25-2013, 12:04 AM
G.A. Moore left in 2002. Not seeing the correlation. You can't get lucky every single year and have D1 talent rolling through as a 3A school.

Tejastrue
07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
9-4 is a damn good year ..just sayin...

regaleagle
07-25-2013, 01:23 AM
I just don't see that many losses for Celina this season with Elliot at the helm....sorry.

Celina8
07-25-2013, 06:08 AM
I think the Celina Fan base is still very strong and the interest is still there. I think the silence is because the community just does not know what to expect this year from the team. Last year was a disappointment with an opening surprise lose to Melissa, then a blow out loss for the District title to Argyle. I will say that the schedule and playing away from your community does not help either. I want to see Celina play a stronger schedule next year with Prosper, Lovejoy, Little Elm, Frisco, Sherman, Denison, prior to playing district. A community that grows will always be changing and yes they are never the same. Winning Titles are never easy, but I have watched Celina win 8 Football Titles, Play in 10 Football Titles Games. Seen them win 5 Boys State Track Titles, seen the girls win 3 State Track Titles. Seen the Boys win 1 Baseball State Title, the Girls win 1 State Softball Title, play in 3 State Softball Title Games. I would not be so quick to say we are done in terms of football championship, but it will be some time before we move up to AAAA, but our numbers will increase from the less than 600 students we have now to 800 and 900 and with those numbers you will see Celina rise.

buckeyebob
07-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Schedule in some East Texas teams...we are close, deadly, & everyone loves to hate us...makes for a great game with the fan base.

marler1972
07-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Celina may have as much talent as they have had since 05, will be somewhat young as far as returning players. I do know this the boys have worked very hard this offseason, it will be a fun year.

marler1972
07-25-2013, 07:24 AM
As previously posted many of the Celina faithfull are not as frequent on the downlow as in the past, well in my short time in N Texas I used to live in Celina in the glory days but have stayed connected thru friends who have had and who have kids in the program currently. Im not one who professes to know more than the coaches do about X and O but I have seen Celina slowly dwindle ever since GA Moore left to take the helm at PP. There is very little doubt that the community and supporters have lost interest, why a growing community that has many transplants moving in that dont understand what Celina is all about and quite honestly dont care. This years team could end the season 16-0 but the talent just isnt there, the schedule is very very soft so victories are a given but my prediction Celina drops another notch this year and goes 9-4

The last couple years we have had very few kids move in, if you look at the attendance it has stayed pretty flat. This year Freshman class will be largest in size to come thru the high school.

ynot
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Ok Celina will go 16-0 Marler1972. I have saw Celina play 2 games last year Mellisa and Argyle and the talent did very little. who will step up and be the go to guys. Yes I realize that they will have some kids step up but to the level to compete with Argyle and the DD? Anything less than a title isn't enough around Ctown

regaleagle
07-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I disagree with that last statement, ynot. With Elliot only being a Jr. this season, I'd think a deep run into the playoffs will give those younger players the additional games under their belts they may need to make their big play for a title when Elliot is a senior. No school, regardless of size, not even Lake Travis, can expect to win a title even once in a blue moon the way our high school teams are so much more competitive these days. And when you add in more playoff teams, it gives some teams a better chance to go thru the brackets before meeting one of the teams they may have trouble with. It's a different day in playoff football nowadays then when Celina was winning titles and so dominant.

Twirling Time
07-26-2013, 12:01 AM
What makes it tougher for Celina (and everyone else too) also is the large number of former 4A powerhouses (Brownwood, Stephenville, Kilgore, La Marque just to name a few) moving into 3A as the cutoff numbers rise every two years. If nothing else changes, this trend will continue.

What will help teams like Celina is the expansion of playoffs from three teams to four per district. That means there won't be as many big schools like Henderson getting pushed into the small-school bracket. Then next year, we may see a split alignment where all small schools in the playoffs are guaranteed to be below 700 or so.

Something else that is noteworthy this year: Celina will play only TWO home games this season, both in district. They have three neutral-site games and five road games, including at Argyle in Week 10.

hollywood
07-26-2013, 11:26 AM
What makes it tougher for Celina (and everyone else too) also is the large number of former 4A powerhouses (Brownwood, Stephenville, Kilgore, La Marque just to name a few) moving into 3A as the cutoff numbers rise every two years. If nothing else changes, this trend will continue.

What will help teams like Celina is the expansion of playoffs from three teams to four per district. That means there won't be as many big schools like Henderson getting pushed into the small-school bracket. Then next year, we may see a split alignment where all small schools in the playoffs are guaranteed to be below 700 or so.

Something else that is noteworthy this year: Celina will play only TWO home games this season, both in district. They have three neutral-site games and five road games, including at Argyle in Week 10.

Good post TT. I agree.

Once the divisions split into D1 and D2 in the playoffs, the playing field will be a little more even. Schools like Celina, Gilmer, Graham, Cuero etc. are having to compete against teams like Stephenville, Kilgore, Carthage, La Marque, El Campo, Brownwood etc who are at the top of the class in size.

sandbagger
07-26-2013, 02:12 PM
I think the Celina Fan base is still very strong and the interest is still there. I think the silence is because the community just does not know what to expect this year from the team. Last year was a disappointment with an opening surprise lose to Melissa, then a blow out loss for the District title to Argyle. I will say that the schedule and playing away from your community does not help either. I want to see Celina play a stronger schedule next year with Prosper, Lovejoy, Little Elm, Frisco, Sherman, Denison, prior to playing district. A community that grows will always be changing and yes they are never the same. Winning Titles are never easy, but I have watched Celina win 8 Football Titles, Play in 10 Football Titles Games. Seen them win 5 Boys State Track Titles, seen the girls win 3 State Track Titles. Seen the Boys win 1 Baseball State Title, the Girls win 1 State Softball Title, play in 3 State Softball Title Games. I would not be so quick to say we are done in terms of football championship, but it will be some time before we move up to AAAA, but our numbers will increase from the less than 600 students we have now to 800 and 900 and with those numbers you will see Celina rise.

I dont think celina wants anything to do with lovejoy and prosper. The celinabots had enough of that beat down. Maybe they might send the jv to celina to play.

bobcat1
07-26-2013, 02:21 PM
I dont think celina wants anything to do with lovejoy and prosper. The celinabots had enough of that beat down. Maybe they might send the jv to celina to play.

Look! The tool is back.

buckeyebob
07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Good post TT. I agree.

Once the divisions split into D1 and D2 in the playoffs, the playing field will be a little more even. Schools like Celina, Gilmer, Graham, Cuero etc. are having to compete against teams like Stephenville, Kilgore, Carthage, La Marque, El Campo, Brownwood etc who are at the top of the class in size.

With Kilgore, Henderson, & Chapel Hill in your district...it is rough but if you survive...I do look forward to realignment in February...just hope we are not the smallest Div 2 team.

ccmom
07-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Look! The tool is back.

This made me laugh ;)

sandbagger
07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
This made me laugh ;)

Me too