PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 4a 3a

ynot
07-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Besides enrollment. Prosper and Lovejoy find success year 1 who in 3a wins a state title in 4a?? Besides all you Celina nuts that think you would win 5a state championship but cant play Argyle within 35.

Matthew328
07-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Prosper and Lovejoy are generally exceptions not the rule..they grew so fast they had well over 4A enrollments their last two yrs in 3A...the difference is depth...

cowboyandchrist
07-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Besides enrollment. Prosper and Lovejoy find success year 1 who in 3a wins a state title in 4a?? Besides all you Celina nuts that think you would win 5a state championship but cant play Argyle within 35.

The Ville, Carthage, and Kilgore could and bad as I hate to say it, the Buckeyes could. I have no doubt, last year the Rattlers could have with that D they had.

waterboy
07-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Like Matt said, the difference between 3A and 4A is depth. If a team with 3A numbers went through an entire season in 4A they would be beat up, and lucky to make it to the playoffs with enough health to make a deep run. In 3A, sometimes all it takes is one or two key players to change their season because of the lack of depth. Chances are that the backup players in 4A will have more talent because of sheer numbers alone. Do I think there have been teams in 3A that could've won a title in 4A the years they won it all in 3A? Absolutely, though not as often as some might think. Navasota last year was one of those teams that might have had a chance at the 4A level, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Farmersfan
07-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Like Matt said, the difference between 3A and 4A is depth. If a team with 3A numbers went through an entire season in 4A they would be beat up, and lucky to make it to the playoffs with enough health to make a deep run. In 3A, sometimes all it takes is one or two key players to change their season because of the lack of depth. Chances are that the backup players in 4A will have more talent because of sheer numbers alone. Do I think there have been teams in 3A that could've won a title in 4A the years they won it all in 3A? Absolutely, though not as often as some might think. Navasota last year was one of those teams that might have had a chance at the 4A level, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

If you played the Navasota team that won the title against some of the title contenders in 4A Navasota might have held their own. But how would Navasota have done if they had played a full 10 game 4A regular season and then played 4A playoff games?

Farmersfan
07-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Prosper and Lovejoy are generally exceptions not the rule..they grew so fast they had well over 4A enrollments their last two yrs in 3A...the difference is depth...

We played Lovejoy in district when they fielded a all freshman and sophomore varsity team. They didn't compete well in those first years but they had more players than we did. I think most of the Lovejoy success the past couple of years was because they had a team full of Juniors and seniors who were 3 and 4 year starters. They had talent for sure but they also had a lot of experience on the field..... Just my two cents worth. And if I'm not mistaken Lovejoy started out from day one having their junior high boys and girls play a 4A schedule. I seem to remember our Junior High parents complaining that their kids weren't able to play Lovejoy because the Lovejoy coaches wanted their kids to play tougher competition. Any truth to that?

Aggie98
07-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I think Stephenville and Navasota were both better than any 4A team I saw last year.... but it seemed like a pretty down year for 4A. Most years I would say that the cream of the crop in 4A > the cream of the crop in 3A. '08 Carthage and '09 Gilmer were two of the best 3A teams I've seen in a long time. Could they beat '05 Highland Park, or the Aledo teams, or the Lake Travis's..... I don't think so.

Matthew328
07-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I think Stephenville and Navasota were both better than any 4A team I saw last year.... but it seemed like a pretty down year for 4A. Most years I would say that the cream of the crop in 4A > the cream of the crop in 3A. '08 Carthage and '09 Gilmer were two of the best 3A teams I've seen in a long time. Could they beat '05 Highland Park, or the Aledo teams, or the Lake Travis's..... I don't think so.

I personally don't believe Stephenville or Navasota would have beaten Guyer or Cedar Park....I think John Tyler and Georgetown would have been too much as well...I do believe Stephenville-Navasota would have a chance to beat any other 4A team...

Cam
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Difference between 4A and 3A?.......I'd have to say 1A!.....:doh:

Rabid Cougar
07-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Celina and Argyle are next on that route.

Ville-D
07-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Moving up?

Tejastrue
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
According to regal, the Argyle folk can control the population boom by discouraging development therefore staying small school.:D

regaleagle
07-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Yep, the city of Argyle has "rules" in place to keep the community relatively small by not allowing subdivisions to be developed within the city. The new homes built now are for the most part required to have one-acre minimums. There exists a few subdivisions, but those have been in place for 10 yrs. It's considered horse country, and will stay that way for a while. Eventually, things may change, but those who run the city government and do most of the voting to keep it that way are still deeply entrenched. And Argyle is basically landlocked between Denton and Flower Mound ISD boundaries on one side, and Roanoke and Northwest ISD boundaries on the other sides. Don't expect to see Argyle make a jump up in enrollment anytime soon. Argyle's enrollment remains around the 650 plateau, as it has been now for about the last 4 yrs. There's just not much room for future expansion other than allowing development of subdivisions on some of that land that is very limited. Heck, Argyle doesn't even have a grocer or any chain fast food restaurants in the whole community....they are not allowed. Oh wait, there's is one.....a subway. Everything else is privately owned. If you want fast food, go to Flower Mound or Denton or Roanoke. They are all within no more that 5-8 miles from the center of town.

Eagle1
07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
I personally don't believe Stephenville or Navasota would have beaten Guyer or Cedar Park....I think John Tyler and Georgetown would have been too much as well...I do believe Stephenville-Navasota would have a chance to beat any other 4A team...
I agree stephenville and sorta would have been third or fourth round 4a teams. The main difference is in the line play and depth.

Eagle1
07-22-2013, 07:26 AM
I think if Cameron yoe was 3a they wouldn't have made it past the 3rd round.

Rabid Cougar
07-22-2013, 10:06 AM
I think if Cameron yoe was 3a they wouldn't have made it past the 3rd round.

It's just CAMERON!

Cameron would have given Navasota fits. Saw both teams play and there was not that much difference between them last year. They were in the same District until Cameron dropped classifications.

Eagle1
07-23-2013, 02:44 PM
It's just CAMERON!

Cameron would have given Navasota fits. Saw both teams play and there was not that much difference between them last year. They were in the same District until Cameron dropped classifications.

Don't think Cameron would have beat Gilmer and you see how Gilmer did against sota.

Twirling Time
07-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Moving up?

Celina has a ways to go. I am guessing they'll turn in around 630 in the next realignment. They normally add 50 kids every two years, but the bad economy slowed the growth. The development is starting to pick up again.

They'll have one or two alignments as a 3A D-II school, then will spend many years as a 3A big school until Prosper ISD fills up. That could happen in less than a decade.

Matthew328
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I think Yoe would have had a world of trouble w/Navasota last year...

hollywood
07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Lol... Cameron Yoe would have gotten man handled by any of the 8 semi finalist in D1 and D2. Not taking anything away from CY, they are a very solid 2A.

cowboyandchrist
07-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Lol... Cameron Yoe would have gotten man handled by any of the 8 semi finalist in D1 and D2. Not taking anything away from CY, they are a very solid 2A.

Once in a blue moon you will have a 2A state champ that could hang with the top 3A champs. The depth is just to much to over come. The 06 Tatum team that just dropped down from being the 05 3A state champs and the Daingerfield 08 team. This past year no 2A team could have stayed on the field with any of the semi finalist teams. Navasota and the Ville may have set a new state scoring record on any of the 2A teams.

Eagle1
07-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Once in a blue moon you will have a 2A state champ that could hang with the top 3A champs. The depth is just to much to over come. The 06 Tatum team that just dropped down from being the 05 3A state champs and the Daingerfield 08 team. This past year no 2A team could have stayed on the field with any of the semi finalist teams. Navasota and the Ville may have set a new state scoring record on any of the 2A teams.

08 Daingerfield wouldn't want no part of 08 Carthage I saw them play celina they were tough.

bigwood33
07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Everytime this sort of discussion comes up, I get a chuckle. The margin, at the top of each respective division, is very narrow (up or down 1 classification). I will use these 2 examples...but there are many more.
In 2005, Celina won the 2A, Division 1 State Championship. In 2006, they moved up to 3A and were 15-0 when they met LH in the 3A, Division 2 State Championship which they lost on a late field goal. Obviously, not much difference in 2A and 3A in those years.
In 2010, Carthage won the Division 1, 3A State Championship. Their Semi- Final game with Brownwood, the week before, was a legendary battle which could have gone either way. Earlier in the season, Brownwood "dusted" Stephenville 49-16 who lost to the eventual 4A State Champion Aledo Bearcats, 20-3 and 18-10. My friends in Stephenville still swear to me that the best team they played that season was Brownwood...who didn't beat Carthage. Now, I know that comparing scores is dangerous but when balanced with the opinions of people that I trust, is a little more believable.
I'm not saying that every year the top of 2A is as good...or nearly as good, as the top of 3A which is/could be as good as the top of 4A, etc but sometimes, it certainly is.

hollywood
07-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Everytime this sort of discussion comes up, I get a chuckle. The margin, at the top of each respective division, is very narrow (up or down 1 classification). I will use these 2 examples...but there are many more.
In 2005, Celina won the 2A, Division 1 State Championship. In 2006, they moved up to 3A and were 15-0 when they met LH in the 3A, Division 2 State Championship which they lost on a late field goal. Obviously, not much difference in 2A and 3A in those years.
In 2010, Carthage won the Division 1, 3A State Championship. Their Semi- Final game with Brownwood, the week before, was a legendary battle which could have gone either way. Earlier in the season, Brownwood "dusted" Stephenville 49-16 who lost to the eventual 4A State Champion Aledo Bearcats, 20-3 and 18-10. My friends in Stephenville still swear to me that the best team they played that season was Brownwood...who didn't beat Carthage. Now, I know that comparing scores is dangerous but when balanced with the opinions of people that I trust, is a little more believable.
I'm not saying that every year the top of 2A is as good...or nearly as good, as the top of 3A which is/could be as good as the top of 4A, etc but sometimes, it certainly is.

There is so much subjectivity that goes into these types of comparisons, who's knows. I will shed a little light on the Brownwood, Stephenville, Aledo, Carthage comparisons. I watched all 4 play that year. Aledo wasn't hitting on all cylinders until 3-4 games into the season. I watched them play Stephenville in week 0 of that year and wasn't impressed by either as I thought I'd be. When Brownwood played Stephenville in week 2 I think, Brownwood was 30pts better than Stephenville, no doubt. If they would have played each other later in the season, say 3-4 rounds into the playoffs, it's very likely that game would have had a different outcome. Not saying Stephenville would have won, but it would have been a much closer game. When Carthage and Brownwood played in the semi's, they were both peaking at that time. When Aledo played Stephenville in the Regional finals, that game could have gone the other way and many think it should have due to a blown TD catch in the endzone. Who's to say if either Brownwood or Carthage could have beaten Stephenville or Aledo at that point in the season. I know that the OL and DL plays a key part the further teams get into the playoffs and Brownwood had the weaker of the 4. Just my .02. ;)