PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo!

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 09:44 AM
It's almost football season so it's time for the endless debate to continue.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-myth-busting-tony-romo-and-the-dallas-cowboys-are-americas-chokers/23434/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217055/article/tony-romo-haters-take-heed-dallas-cowboys-qb-is-underrated

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
this says it best

Romo: The Only Undrafted QB Criticized Like a No. 1 Pick

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
All I can say is that Romo is paid #3 money in the NFL. Is he the #3 best QB? Of course not! Then how can he be UNDERRATED? He is over-hyped, over-paid and in my opinion OVER-DUE for a retirement party!

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2013, 10:20 AM
All I can say is that Romo is paid #3 money in the NFL. Is he the #3 best QB? Of course not! Then how can he be UNDERRATED? He is over-hyped, over-paid and in my opinion OVER-DUE for a retirement party!

who exactly over hypes him FF? (btw god to see ya on here)...but really who claims he is the greatest? and money is not the way to judge that and you know..you pay for what you need right then

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 10:20 AM
this says it best

Romo lost any claim to his "undrafted" status when he signed his first No. 1 pick type contract......................

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
the two highest paid QBs

Rodgers is 0-18 at fourth-quarter comebacks against teams .500 or better in his career. They ignore that Brees has made the playoffs five times in 12 years and has 20 turnovers in the clutch in losses.

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Romo has been overhyped since his first season as the starter for this team. Funny how he went from just about cut in favor of people like Quincey Carter, Drew Hensen and Vinny Testiverde to being the savior of the franchise in a few short months. Romo couldn't break into the top 3 QBs on the Cowboy team for 4 years and then suddenly became worth Tom Brady type money! Jerry Jones played you guys into accepting a very mediocre QB as a franchise type QB for America's team. And you bought into it hook, line and sinker. (to be fair, I did too at first)

buff4ever
07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
this says it best

He is paid like a top pick, so must expect to be treated like one. We dang sure can't count on him to come through like one, hence the criticism.

1st and goal
07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I would go ahead and lose all the games this season for a chance at Johnny Football....

Kind of like the Astros are doing in baseball....

buff4ever
07-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I would go ahead and lose all the games this season for a chance at Johnny Football....

Kind of like the Astros are doing in baseball....

I am an aggie and I disagree. Manziel should, may not, but should play college for two more years to prove he can play the NFL game.

ronwx5x
07-12-2013, 11:27 AM

So Romo should have told Jerry no, that's too much money for my skill level? Get real. If JJ offered, take it!

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 11:28 AM
He is paid like a top pick, so must expect to be treated like one. We dang sure can't count on him to come through like one, hence the criticism.

Did you even read the articles?

Tejastrue
07-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I guess many of you have seen the QB rankings that Jaworski has been doing on ESPN. Romo at 15 of 32. I really don't care much for his opinion but I think he has it nailed down on this one. The game he used as an example was painful to watch yet again.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Romo has been overhyped since his first season as the starter for this team.

Here's where I thing some of you go off track. Sure he's probably over hyped. Pretty much anyone that steps under center for the cowboys is going to be over hyped. Occupational hazard.

But being able to separate the hype and really look at the performance of the player as well as the entire team AND organization is where I think the romo haters let their biases and hatred cloud their judgement.

Funny how he went from just about cut in favor of people like Quincey Carter, Drew Hensen and Vinny Testiverde to being the savior of the franchise in a few short months.

I honestly don't know what you are trying to say here. What's your point?

Romo couldn't break into the top 3 QBs on the Cowboy team for 4 years and then suddenly became worth Tom Brady type money! Jerry Jones played you guys into accepting a very mediocre QB as a franchise type QB for America's team. And you bought into it hook, line and sinker. (to be fair, I did too at first)

First of all, his first contract was not Tom Brady type money. The cowboys have gotten a hell of a deal on his first contract when you compare his production during that contract to other QBs.

I can understand why some people are bent out of shape over this recent contract but there are several articles out there that point out that the numbers quoted in the deal are really not the true value of the contract. Still, it's a lot of money and there needs to be some return for that money. But as many of us have said, if his defense is again ranked around 23, which the average defensive ranking for his time here in dallas, we will probably be around .500 again. And tony will probably get blamed again.

Buckeye1980
07-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Is it Tony Romo's fault for a total lack of running game and perhaps the worst offensive line in team history?

GreenMonster
07-12-2013, 12:00 PM
NFL has what, a 40 man roster?? It's hard to point the finger at one guy for his entire team's success or failure unless that one guy is Jerry Jones. Romo is alright, he just needs a running game an o-line and a defense to get to the top of the mountain just like any other NFL QB. If Trent Dilfer can go win a Super Bowl then there is obvious proof that there is more to it than having a A list QB to bring home the Lombardi Trophy.

buff4ever
07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
the problem is that he is not a winner. He is a talented player that lacks the winner aspect of a good quarterback and leader. This is okay, and it isn't his fault, but the organization puts the team on romo's shoulders and pays him as such, when he is not a put the team on my shoulder kinda guy. He would be a good qb if he was paid more average qb salary on a team with another guy that says put em on my shoulders i got this.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
What does a winner look like?

Is rivers a winner?

Is Ryan a winner?

How about Dan Marino? Is he a winner?

Was elway a winner before he got a good RB?

GreenMonster
07-12-2013, 01:09 PM
the problem is that he is not a winner. He is a talented player that lacks the winner aspect of a good quarterback and leader. This is okay, and it isn't his fault, but the organization puts the team on romo's shoulders and pays him as such, when he is not a put the team on my shoulder kinda guy. He would be a good qb if he was paid more average qb salary on a team with another guy that says put em on my shoulders i got this.

If this were true he'd never be anywhere close to the NFL. Jim Kelley lost 4 Super Bowls, Marino lost his only Super Bowl, Fran Tarkington never won a Super Bowl, some of who are considered Legends at the position never won Super Bowls. Does that take away from their legacy, possibly but no one questions if they were winners or not. There's just so much more to it than QB to win in today's NFL or even yesterday's NFL. It takes all of the parts and pieces as well as plenty of good fortune.

Tejastrue
07-12-2013, 01:29 PM
What does a winner look like?

Is rivers a winner?

Is Ryan a winner?

How about Dan Marino? Is he a winner?

Was elway a winner before he got a good RB?

LOL..please don't tell you're comparing Romo to two Hall of Fame guys

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
LOL..please don't tell you're comparing Romo to two Hall of Fame guys

You want to answer the question?

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 02:14 PM
But being able to separate the hype and really look at the performance of the player as well as the entire team AND organization is where I think the romo haters let their biases and hatred cloud their judgement.

You assume too much validity to YOUR opinion Mac! Apparently you think people who don't agree with your opinion must have clouded judgement?

I honestly don't know what you are trying to say here. What's your point?

My point was that Tony Romo didn't have the talent or the mental makeup to beat out those average to poor QBs until the Cowboys built the talent to a certain level. Jerry Jones built the talent on this team to a point that it broke the all time NFL record for most pro bowlers after Romo's first full season. I have said 1000 times that Tony Romo owes what little success he has had to the team around him. Jon Kitna led this team as effectively as Romo has for Pete's sake! Is Romo a good QB? yes he is in my opinion. Is he a franchise QB? not even close.

First of all, his first contract was not Tom Brady type money. The cowboys have gotten a hell of a deal on his first contract when you compare his production during that contract to other QBs.

if his defense is again ranked around 23, which the average defensive ranking for his time here in dallas, we will probably be around .500 again. And tony will probably get blamed again.

Yea, and if the O-line is average they will go .500 and if the RBs are not outstanding they will miss the playoffs. If the Cowboys put a high ranked defense, high ranked O-line and great running game on the field then my grandmother could win with that team. At some point Romo must win with what he's got. They have had a top ranked defense at times and he lost. They have had a top ranked offense and he has lost! They have had a top ranked o-line at times and he still lost. No franchise puts together a team that is top ranked in every single category yet some people seem to think that is what they need to do for Romo to win.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 02:37 PM
You assume too much validity to YOUR opinion Mac! Apparently you think people who don't agree with your opinion must have clouded judgement?

Yet, my opinion is backed by actual statistics. Big difference.

My point was that Tony Romo didn't have the talent or the mental makeup to beat out those average to poor QBs until the Cowboys built the talent to a certain level. Jerry Jones built the talent on this team to a point that it broke the all time NFL record for most pro bowlers after Romo's first full season. I have said 1000 times that Tony Romo owes what little success he has had to the team around him. Jon Kitna led this team as effectively as Romo has for Pete's sake! Is Romo a good QB? yes he is in my opinion. Is he a franchise QB? not even close.

:) John kitna.

I rest my case.

Yea, and if the O-line is average they will go .500 and if the RBs are not outstanding they will miss the playoffs. If the Cowboys put a high ranked defense, high ranked O-line and great running game on the field then my grandmother could win with that team. At some point Romo must win with what he's got. They have had a top ranked defense at times and he lost. They have had a top ranked offense and he has lost! They have had a top ranked o-line at times and he still lost. No franchise puts together a team that is top ranked in every single category yet some people seem to think that is what they need to do for Romo to win.

He's some mor,e numbers for you.

Here's are your last 7 SB winners and their defensive rank:
2006 Pitt - #11 pts/gm and #9 overall
2007 Indy - #1 pts/gm and #3 overall
2008 ny - #5 pts/gm and #5 overall
2009 Pitt - #12 pts/gm and #5 overall
2010 no - # 7 pts/gm and #4 overall
2011 ny - #25 pts/gm and #27 overall
2012 Balt - #12 pts/gm and #17 overall.

I guess you notice a trend. Even the ones that are somewhat of an anomaly are teams that are known to have a good defense - ny & Balt.

Even the two guys that are considered top tier QBs - Bree's and Payton - had to have top notch defenses to get their ring.

So to answer your question, yes, give tony a good defense and he will win games. The ONLY two years to had a top ten defense was in 2009 when they won the division and a playoff game and 2007 when they were the #1 seed and lost to the SB champs.

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 02:51 PM
NFL has what, a 40 man roster?? It's hard to point the finger at one guy for his entire team's success or failure unless that one guy is Jerry Jones. Romo is alright, he just needs a running game an o-line and a defense to get to the top of the mountain just like any other NFL QB. If Trent Dilfer can go win a Super Bowl then there is obvious proof that there is more to it than having a A list QB to bring home the Lombardi Trophy.

None of the recent Superbowl winners had top ranked offenses, defenses and a great running game. In fact only once in the past 6 season has the Superbowl winner had a defense and offense ranked in the top 10.

Ravens '12= Offense #10, Defense #12
Giants '11= Offense #9, Defense #25
Packers '10= Offense #10, defense #2
Saints '09= Offense #1, Defense #20

Romo's Career:

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 02:58 PM
None of the recent Superbowl winners had top ranked offenses, defenses and a great running game. In fact only once in the past 6 season has the Superbowl winner had a defense and offense ranked in the top 10.

Ravens '12= Offense #10, Defense #12
Giants '11= Offense #9, Defense #25
Packers '10= Offense #10, defense #2
Saints '09= Offense #1, Defense #20

Romo's Career:

Your stats are only half true.

I don't care if they have a good passing game or running game. What they need is a defense. Every SB winner recently has had top defenses. No way around it.

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Yet, my opinion is backed by actual statistics. Big difference.

What statistics Mac? Tony Romo is barely a .500 QB. Tony Romo has half the world convinced he is a choker! Tony Romo was voted most overrated player in the entire league by the guys he plays against--- TWICE!!!!! Tony Romo is laughed at and ridiculed by more than half the professionals associated with the game due to his demeanor off the field and his play on the field! So don't act like the few of us on here are the only people who are blind to the truth about Tony Romo. Most of the world agrees with us. And every passing season more and more people who try to stay on the Romo sinking boat find themselves all wet................... Can I bring you a towel buddy?

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Your stats are only half true.

I don't care if they have a good passing game or running game. What they need is a defense. Every SB winner recently has had top defenses. No way around it.

You really don't have a clue Mac. Are you posting the playoff rankings. Regular season defensive team rankings for every superbowl winner for the last 7 seasons:

Ravens #12
Giants #25
Packers #2
Saints #20
Steelers#1
Giants # 17
Colts #23

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2006/opp.htm

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
You really don't have a clue Mac. Are you posting the playoff rankings. Regular season defensive team rankings for every superbowl winner for the last 7 seasons:

Ravens #12
Giants #25
Packers #2
Saints #20
Steelers#1
Giants # 17
Colts #23

And FYI: If you are talking about yards given up as a defense there were 3 playoff teams worse than the cowboys last season and the eventual superbowl winner Ravens gave up only 60 yards on the season less than the Cowboys did. There were another 3 teams that averaged less than 30 yards a game better than the Cowboys. Are you telling me 30 yards a game on defense is the difference between competeting for a Superbowl and not even making the playoffs?

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 03:18 PM

Ravens #12
Giants #25
Packers #2
Saints #20
Steelers#1
Giants # 17
Colts #23

Nope.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2010&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&role=OPP&Submit=Go&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false

My stats come from nfl.com and the 2010 NO defense was #4 overall for the SEASON and #7 in pts/gm which I think is the better stat. When they rank defenses, they do so by yardage given up. While not a terrible way to rank, I think points given up is a bit better.

You can say I don't have a clue all you want but my numbers are solid. The numbers I posted above are from nfl.com and are for regular season.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 03:20 PM
And FYI: If you are talking about yards given up as a defense there were 3 playoff teams worse than the cowboys last season and the eventual superbowl winner Ravens gave up only 60 yards on the season less than the Cowboys did. There were another 3 teams that averaged less than 30 yards a game better than the Cowboys. Are you telling me 30 yards a game on defense is the difference between competeting for a Superbowl and not even making the playoffs?

Answered above. I've always thought pts /gm is a better gauge. However, you will generally find that those two rankings are generally pretty close.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Also, if you will goto nfl.com and sort defenses by pts/gm and you will almost always find the playoff teams at the top.

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Nope.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2010&akmobile=ios-tablet&akmobile=ios-tablet&role=OPP&Submit=Go&akcarrier=other&akcarrier=other&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false

My stats come from nfl.com and the 2010 NO defense was #4 overall for the SEASON and #7 in pts/gm which I think is the better stat. When they rank defenses, they do so by yardage given up. While not a terrible way to rank, I think points given up is a bit better.

You can say I don't have a clue all you want but my numbers are solid. The numbers I posted above are from nfl.com and are for regular season.

Mac! The Saints won the Superbowl in the 2009 season, not the 2010 season. The Superbowl was played in 2010.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 03:50 PM
You're right that I had my years off, but it doesn't change the point of defense. Here's your SB champs and defensive rankings per nfl.com

2005 - Pitt #4
2006 - Indy #21
2007 - NYg #7
2008 - Pitt #1
2009 - NO #23
2010 - GB #2
2011 - NYG #7
2012 - Balt #17

The two glaring exceptions are Bree's and p. manning.

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Mac! The Saints won the Superbowl in the 2009 season, not the 2010 season. The Superbowl was played in 2010.

The 2010 Saints finished with a Record of 11-5-0, and Finished 2nd in NFC South Division. The Superbowl champion NO Saints in 2009 finished 13-3 with a offensive rank of #1 and a defensive rank of #20 in points allowed and #25 in yards allowed.

Farmersfan
07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
You're right that I had my years off, but it doesn't change the point of defense. Here's your SB champs and defensive rankings per nfl.com

2005 - Pitt #4
2006 - Indy #21
2007 - NYg #7
2008 - Pitt #1
2009 - NO #23
2010 - GB #2
2011 - NYG #7
2012 - Balt #17

The two glaring exceptions are Bree's and p. manning.

I give up Mac! Even when you are wrong and someone corrects it you follow that up with incorrect information again. Example: 2011 NY Giants: #25 in pts per game with 25 and # 27 in yards per game given up. Please post a link to where they are ranked #7 in ANY defensive category in the regular season?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense/year/2011

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 04:02 PM
The 2010 Saints finished with a Record of 11-5-0, and Finished 2nd in NFC South Division. The Superbowl champion NO Saints in 2009 finished 13-3 with a offensive rank of #1 and a defensive rank of #20 in points allowed and #25 in yards allowed.

NFL.com shows NO at #23 overall in 2009. That difference is immaterial.

The fact is that since 2005, there have only been 3 teams that don't have a top 10 defense win a SB. Two of those were manning and Bree's. and when you expand to the teams in the NFC and afc championship games, the pattern becomes even more stark. Teams with the best defenses in the league make deep runs in the playoffs.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
I give up Mac! Even when you are wrong and someone corrects it you follow that up with incorrect information again. Example: 2011 NY Giants: #25 in pts per game with 25 and # 27 in yards per game given up. Please post a link to where they are ranked #7 in ANY defensive category in the regular season?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense/year/2011

They were 27. Typo.

Tejastrue
07-12-2013, 04:06 PM
How many interceptions did the defense throw in last years' Redskin playoff clinching game? Just curious. :D

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
How many interceptions did the defense throw in last years' Redskin playoff clinching game? Just curious. :D

Well, the defense gave up got the team down 21-10 with a 200 rusher and an RGIII that could barely walk.

Romo made a couple of horrible decisions. But he did bring them to within 3pts before that int. romo had a bad game. The difference is you are not willing to acknowledge the games he had last year to bring them back. Go back and look at what he did in the NO game that they lost in OT.

Tejastrue
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Not at all. He has had his moments but it seems every time the word 'playoff' is used, especially in the same sentence with 'clincher' he lays an egg. I used to defend him but I grow weary of doing so. I like where the Cowboys are going as a team, finally...but I have my doubts as to whether Romo is the one to lead them. Obviously the Cowboys feel differently as do you and a few others here.

Macarthur
07-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Not at all. He has had his moments but it seems every time the word 'playoff' is used, especially in the same sentence with 'clincher' he lays an egg. I used to defend him but I grow weary of doing so. I like where the Cowboys are going as a team, finally...but I have my doubts as to whether Romo is the one to lead them. Obviously the Cowboys feel differently as do you and a few others here.

I respect that post. Although I think the articles give some good examples of times when he is very good in 4th quarter and/or clutch situations. And I understand that the QB is going to get the blame when the team doesn't reach it's goals.

Saggy Aggie
07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
The texans would be good enough to win a Super Bowl if they had Romo instead of Schaub... Except romo would undoubtedly throw a pick to lose at the most inopportune time.

He'd probably lead 7 or 8 4th qtr comebacks to that point in the season... But at the absolute most critical time, he's gonna pee the bed.

Tejastrue
07-13-2013, 01:30 AM
The texans would be good enough to win a Super Bowl if they had Romo instead of Schaub... Except romo would undoubtedly throw a pick to lose at the most inopportune time.

He'd probably lead 7 or 8 4th qtr comebacks to that point in the season... But at the absolute most critical time, he's gonna pee the bed.

I truly believe if Romo got a team that far...there would be no doubt of the outcome. The Romo led team would win!!

regaleagle
07-13-2013, 11:24 AM
The bottom line is that IF you are a fan of the Dallas Cowboys....Tony Romo has been re-signed to lead this team. Like it or not, he will be the starting qb. IF you really would like to see the Dallas Cowboys make it to the SuperBowl this season or next season, it will probably happen with Romo at the helm....not another qb. In summary, the qb for the Dallas Cowboys for the next several years is gonna be Tony Romo, and his stats bear out the fact that this is as good a choice as MOST of the top-tier qbs in the NFL. You can either support Romo and the team, or switch channels....that's your choice. But Tony Romo IS the starting qb for the Dallas Cowboys and I will support him. I think there has been blown opportunities in the past, like many other qbs have experienced as well, but on the whole Romo has the ability, experience, leadership qualities, accuracy, armstrength, and scrambling ability to get the job done for the Cowboys....more pluses than just about any other qb you could name.

regaleagle
07-13-2013, 11:50 AM
More pluses that just about any other AVAILABLE qb you could name....and more pluses than MOST other qbs in the league, period. Perhaps....just maybe....there are other positions on the team that needed to be addressed that were MORE LACKING than the qb position. Could that even remotely be a possibility??? Let's get real here....Romo is not the problem. He may not be good enough to single-handedly take this team to the promised land of NFL glory, but how many qbs can really accomplish that in today's game, huh??? He is good enough to lead this team to an NFL championship if a few of the glaring needs this team had are filled.

Tejastrue
07-13-2013, 12:55 PM
I disagree regal. Romo is as much to blame as any Cowboy. We've been hearing for years that he is good enough and he has shown at times to be just that...but we are still waiting for a successful post season much less any post season. I will always pull for the Boys but I don't have to be a fan of every player. As I stated earlier I defended Romo in the past but my confidence in him is lacking these days. I hope I am wrong about him but as a fan, I can criticize to my heart's content. Not gonna change a thing about the situation but it sure helps me to vent. lol.. Go Cowboys!!

regaleagle
07-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Yeah....well I guess I'm just too much of a realist nowadays. Since I can't do anything about it, and have very limited alternative choices....I reckon I'll just remain a rabid Cowboys fan and support Romo & Company the whole season. Sometimes, my dinner gets a little indigestible with what I just saw happen....but that's football in the NFL today. Let me see....you could stay in the deer blind all day, or go fishing, or watch PBS specials, lol. Or how about taking one of those wine-tasting trips on a Sunday afternoon over here in Fredericksburg instead of watching the games, haha.

Tejastrue
07-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Those are great alternatives to watching the Cowboys but I'm also a glutton for punishment so the game will, as always, be on the big screen in my home. I keep a stash of back-up remotes in the drawer just in case I feel the need to launch one. :)

Farmersfan
07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
NFL.com shows NO at #23 overall in 2009. That difference is immaterial.

The fact is that since 2005, there have only been 3 teams that don't have a top 10 defense win a SB. Two of those were manning and Bree's. and when you expand to the teams in the NFC and afc championship games, the pattern becomes even more stark. Teams with the best defenses in the league make deep runs in the playoffs.

Since 2005 there have been 4 teams win the Superbowl with a top 10 defense and 4 teams win it without a top 10 defense. That's 50/50 based on my math. If you go back another 10 or 20 years you will see that it is about 50% throughout the history of the NFL. But there is one thing that all those teams have in common Mac. They got good QB play when it mattered the most. Here are the Superbowl winning QBs in those 8 years. What is pretty obvious through all these years is that the Superbowl winners normally has a pretty dang good QB...................(Even the few that aren't seen as outstanding QBs played pretty good ball at the right times and didn't give the game away with stupid "romo" type mistakes.)

2012. Joe Flacco. Stepped up with a 117 playoff QB rating.
2011. Eli Manning. Nobody denies how great Eli played in the playoffs
2010. Aaron Rogers. Need I say more?
2009. Drew Brees. Yes, yes, yes
2008. Ben Rothesburger. A warrior. Not always flashy but nobody doubts he will get it done.
2007. Eli Manning.
2006. Peyton Manning. Actually didn't play that well but still made the plays when they had to have them.
2005. Big Ben again....

And the list goes on:

2004. Brady
2003. Brady
2002. Brad Johnson- HUH? Him and Dilfer were basically only caretakers that only had to minimize mistakes to win.
2001. Brady
2000. Trent Dilfer- The other one.
1999. Curt Wariner
1998. Elway
1997. Elway
1996. Favre
1995. Aikman

Emerson1
07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
That Curt Wariner guy was a player.

Macarthur
07-15-2013, 10:20 AM
I have never questioned that you have to have very good QB play to make a deep playoff run. My point is that even in the instances where the defenses were not as highly ranked, they had something that translated in big games. For example, the giants aren't always a highly rated defense, but they have guys that rush the passer and really give offenses fits when it counts. Also, the yea NO won it, they got turnovers like crazy. Hell, even the great Rodgers didn't get it done until Dom capers took over that defense and they became a turnover machine.

I've never said romo holds no blame in their struggles. I just bristle at the magnitude of folks that want to lay all the blame at his feet. Why does d ware (a player I love) get virtually no criticism when if you listen to some folks, he has a tenancy to disappear at critical points in games? Whitten is a penalty machine. He gets virtually no criticism. There were tons of folks lamenting the release of Ryan when the guy came here with nothing of note on his résumé and did very little here except run his mouth.

I believe romo has what it takes to take this team deep.

Farmersfan
07-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I have never questioned that you have to have very good QB play to make a deep playoff run. My point is that even in the instances where the defenses were not as highly ranked, they had something that translated in big games. For example, the giants aren't always a highly rated defense, but they have guys that rush the passer and really give offenses fits when it counts. Also, the yea NO won it, they got turnovers like crazy. Hell, even the great Rodgers didn't get it done until Dom capers took over that defense and they became a turnover machine.

I've never said romo holds no blame in their struggles. I just bristle at the magnitude of folks that want to lay all the blame at his feet. Why does d ware (a player I love) get virtually no criticism when if you listen to some folks, he has a tenancy to disappear at critical points in games? Whitten is a penalty machine. He gets virtually no criticism. There were tons of folks lamenting the release of Ryan when the guy came here with nothing of note on his résumé and did very little here except run his mouth.

I believe romo has what it takes to take this team deep.

Nobody that I have ever heard has EVER laid all the blame on Romo. There are, however, plenty of you guys who keep giving Romo a pass on his mistakes and his lack of performance in the big games. Here is the bottom line of all this nonsense: You can win a Superbowl with a average defense! You can win a Superbowl with a average o-line! You can win a Superbowl with any part of your team being average ! It's been done..... A LOT. But it is truly a rare thing for a team to win a Superbowl with a average QB. Even a team with a #1 defense doesn't win very often if the QB isn't a great QB. All those years and rankings we have posted represent years when teams with better defenses, better offenses, better coaches, better fans and better franchises DIDN'T win it. Why? I can promise you it came down to QB play in most instances...................

Tejastrue
07-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Mac, I think your memory is a bit distorted when talking about Ryan. I think he did more for the defense than given credit but was constantly battling the injury bug. He apparently was good enough to land the DC position with the Saints. Chosen by a HC who is highly respected around the league and who many wanted to come here.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8826772/rob-ryan-fired-dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8931793/rob-ryan-lands-new-orleans-saints-work-1-month

Macarthur
07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Mac, I think your memory is a bit distorted when talking about Ryan. I think he did more for the defense than given credit but was constantly battling the injury bug. He apparently was good enough to land the DC position with the Saints. Chosen by a HC who is highly respected around the league and who many wanted to come here.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8826772/rob-ryan-fired-dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8931793/rob-ryan-lands-new-orleans-saints-work-1-month

We'll have to agree to disagree on Ryan.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/14/3876134/why-cowboys-had-to-replace-rob-ryan-part-i-what-wasnt-working

I do give him credit that the banged up defense kept them in the hunt while they had so many injuries but when you look at his entire body of work here, it was much more bark than bite.

And let's see how this plays out in NO. I got a feeling that there weren't a ton of guys beating down the door to go to NO. They still have the bounty gate stuff hanging around and they were terrible last year on defense. They have been a 4-3 for years and now have to change guys like will smith that have to transition to a 3-4. And if that's not enough some projections have them as more than $14 million OVER the cap for 2014.

I'm not so sure NO DC position is that attractive right now.

buff4ever
07-15-2013, 03:16 PM
new year, same argument. Year after year, Romo plays the same way, a few good games here and a few bad games there, and a couple of blown games almost solely on his shoulders; and we experience the same excuses from the romosexuals. I agree with FF, Romo has had the defense, he has had the offense, he has had the line, he has been stacked with pro bowlers, and we have experienced a single playoff win. Kitna would have stuck around for far less money, and possibly done better. If we have to have the best of everything around him, for him to win consistantly, then he isn't that good. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Farmersfan
07-15-2013, 03:35 PM
new year, same argument. Year after year, Romo plays the same way, a few good games here and a few bad games there, and a couple of blown games almost solely on his shoulders; and we experience the same excuses from the romosexuals. I agree with FF, Romo has had the defense, he has had the offense, he has had the line, he has been stacked with pro bowlers, and we have experienced a single playoff win. Kitna would have stuck around for far less money, and possibly done better. If we have to have the best of everything around him, for him to win consistantly, then he isn't that good. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

I don't think Kitna was near as good as Romo was at this point in their careers. But I agree we probably wouldn't have seen any worse end results with Kitna as we have with Romo..... Kitna could have gotten a single playoff win for this franchise over the past 7 years. Perhaps the overall record wouldn't have been as good but who cares. It's all about the playoffs and the pursuit of a Championship.

Macarthur
07-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Stacked with pro bowlers? Right.

Tejastrue
07-15-2013, 09:33 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on Ryan.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/14/3876134/why-cowboys-had-to-replace-rob-ryan-part-i-what-wasnt-working

I do give him credit that the banged up defense kept them in the hunt while they had so many injuries but when you look at his entire body of work here, it was much more bark than bite.

And let's see how this plays out in NO. I got a feeling that there weren't a ton of guys beating down the door to go to NO. They still have the bounty gate stuff hanging around and they were terrible last year on defense. They have been a 4-3 for years and now have to change guys like will smith that have to transition to a 3-4. And if that's not enough some projections have them as more than $14 million OVER the cap for 2014.

I'm not so sure NO DC position is that attractive right now.

The Cowboys knew what they were getting when they brought him aboard. Heck, he is a Ryan. I still think it was rather chicken crappy to let him go after only two years, especially with what happened to the team last year. I don't think there is a DC out there that could have done any more with the defense than he did with all the casualties they endured. As far as football minds go I'd say I value Payton's opinion much more than any sports blogger. It's just another case of the Cowboys' front office misdirecting the blame for another underachieving season. I will say I do like Kiffen. Many believe the game has past him by but I think he will put the doubters to rest. Makes for an interesting season once again in the Cowboy soap opera.

Why have we not drafted a good QB.. if anything.. as an understudy? Someone that just might push Romo a bit. Maybe if he had the slightest thought that "this young kid wants my job bad" it could change his mindset. I think Jerry treats the backup QB situation like he has kickers for all these years..a dime a dozen. That also has killed the Boys so, so many times.

Macarthur
07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
I didn't like the Ryan hire from the beginning.

Farmersfan
07-16-2013, 08:24 AM
I didn't like the Ryan hire from the beginning.

Me either! A lot of the failings of this defense was scheme related. Some of the things Ryan had his players doing didn't make any sense at all......

And Mac. The 2008 Cowboys broke the all time NFL record for the most Pro Bowlers from one team with 11. I said ALL TIME record! I would certainly call that "stacked"!

Farmersfan
07-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Why have we not drafted a good QB.. if anything.. as an understudy? Someone that just might push Romo a bit. Maybe if he had the slightest thought that "this young kid wants my job bad" it could change his mindset. I think Jerry treats the backup QB situation like he has kickers for all these years..a dime a dozen. That also has killed the Boys so, so many times.

Jerry Jones has babied Tony Romo from the beginning. Romo probably wouldn't handle getting pushed by a backup very well. I suspect he would cry to Jerry about the unfairness of it all and Jerry would announce to the world that Romo is the starter and they have no QB competition on this team.......................................

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Jerry Jones has babied Tony Romo from the beginning. Romo probably wouldn't handle getting pushed by a backup very well. I suspect he would cry to Jerry about the unfairness of it all and Jerry would announce to the world that Romo is the starter and they have no QB competition on this team.......................................

Or maybe it comes down to the Cowboys have bigger needs each year than drafting a QB just to compete...If the Cowboys were to have had better depth then yes I agree, always stock up on QBs like GB used to do, but you cant do that when you have glaring needs at other positions

Macarthur
07-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Me either! A lot of the failings of this defense was scheme related. Some of the things Ryan had his players doing didn't make any sense at all......

And Mac. The 2008 Cowboys broke the all time NFL record for the most Pro Bowlers from one team with 11. I said ALL TIME record! I would certainly call that "stacked"!

Yes they did and they were the #1 seed and lost at the end of the game to the team that won the SB. And had a particular WR made two fairly routine catches, they probably win that game.

But to say because they had that team then romo has had the same type of team the rest of his career is asinine. Several of those guys ht a wall very quickly (I.e., Flozell, geroude, Davis and columbo....notice a pattern there?)

Macarthur
07-16-2013, 11:13 AM

I don't have any issue with bringing in guys to compete. But as broadcaster said, whether you use a fairly high draft pick or cap space to provide that competition, you are going to compromise your team in another area.

Tejastrue
07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
and yet in recent years they've carried two kickers on the roster

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2013, 12:39 PM

kickers cost 500,000..QBs what?...and btw I agree with the the fact it was stupid to carry two K's..but the salary cap amount is way different

Macarthur
07-16-2013, 12:46 PM

I agree!

Tejastrue
07-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Well that's what the Cowboys pay their kickers. The league average is much higher. Bailey looks to be a good one so I don't see him staying here much longer. The way we talk about the Cowboys it seems as though they are the only team that has cap issues. I just believe it would be healthy for the team to find a young slinger to push the starting QB..not a disgruntled castoff or crusty veteran in the twilight of his career.

Farmersfan
07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Or maybe it comes down to the Cowboys have bigger needs each year than drafting a QB just to compete...If the Cowboys were to have had better depth then yes I agree, always stock up on QBs like GB used to do, but you cant do that when you have glaring needs at other positions

Same arguement TXB! Every single team in the NFL has bigger needs. For about the millionth time I can show how teams with lower rated defenses won a superbowl. Or teams with lower rated offenses went the distance. Every single team in the NFL has weaknesses. THE QB MUST GET IT DONE WITH WHAT HE HAS. In Dallas it's always the defenses fault. Or the offensive lines fault. Or the D-cordinators fault. It never ends with you guys. You blame everybody except the single constant on this team. If we go into every single season looking to make Romo better by making everyone around him better then guess what we get? We get 7 years of underachievement and false hopes. How many times in the past has a franchise built a Superbowl winning team by piling the talent up around a average QB? I already posted that only Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have won a superbowl as average QBs in the past 20 season. End of story!

Farmersfan
07-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Yes they did and they were the #1 seed and lost at the end of the game to the team that won the SB. And had a particular WR made two fairly routine catches, they probably win that game.

But to say because they had that team then romo has had the same type of team the rest of his career is asinine. Several of those guys ht a wall very quickly (I.e., Flozell, geroude, Davis and columbo....notice a pattern there?)

The Cowboys dominated that game. Every single part of the Cowboy's team played almost exactly like they played in the 2 regular season games that Dallas won. Well, except for our QB. In the regular season Romo threw for 600 yards and 76 points in the 2 wins by Dallas. In the playoff game Romo threw for 187 yards and just 17 points. Tony Romo had a 128 rating in the first game and a 123 rating in the second game. Guess what rating he had in the playoff game? Try a 64........................................ Blame a couple of dropped passes or a couple of penalties or whatever excuses you want to make but the truth is the QB play in the playoff game was half as good as the play in the first two games. But isn't this the story of his career?

buff4ever
07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
The Cowboys dominated that game. Every single part of the Cowboy's team played almost exactly like they played in the 2 regular season games that Dallas won. Well, except for our QB. In the regular season Romo threw for 600 yards and 76 points in the 2 wins by Dallas. In the playoff game Romo threw for 187 yards and just 17 points. Tony Romo had a 128 rating in the first game and a 123 rating in the second game. Guess what rating he had in the playoff game? Try a 64........................................ Blame a couple of dropped passes or a couple of penalties or whatever excuses you want to make but the truth is the QB play in the playoff game was half as good as the play in the first two games. But isn't this the story of his career?

it is

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Same arguement TXB! Every single team in the NFL has bigger needs. For about the millionth time I can show how teams with lower rated defenses won a superbowl. Or teams with lower rated offenses went the distance. Every single team in the NFL has weaknesses. THE QB MUST GET IT DONE WITH WHAT HE HAS. In Dallas it's always the defenses fault. Or the offensive lines fault. Or the D-cordinators fault. It never ends with you guys. You blame everybody except the single constant on this team. If we go into every single season looking to make Romo better by making everyone around him better then guess what we get? We get 7 years of underachievement and false hopes. How many times in the past has a franchise built a Superbowl winning team by piling the talent up around a average QB? I already posted that only Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have won a superbowl as average QBs in the past 20 season. End of story!

Like him or not Romo is a Dilfer...far better..he is not in the class of Brady but he is also not a Dilfer

Just because you change things such as D-Cord, or O-line does not mean you make it better

and you bring up a great point..other teams have same issues but deal with it better...not because they have a better QB..but because they have a better GM

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Meant not a dilfer LOL

GrTigers6
07-16-2013, 09:24 PM

Last year did Brees get it done with what he had, Did Brady get it done with what he had? What about Peyton, Ben, Etc.
Football is a team sport. No one man can make or break a game.
This blaming of Romo is no different than the people that blame an officiating crew for "losing" a game for them because of one or two questionable calls. The 200 other plays or mistakes the teams made apparently had no bearing.
Oh and glad to be back :wave:

Farmersfan
07-17-2013, 08:41 AM
This blaming of Romo is no different than the people that blame an officiating crew for "losing" a game for them because of one or two questionable calls. The 200 other plays or mistakes the teams made apparently had no bearing.
Oh and glad to be back :wave:

This has got to be one of the least thought out comments ever tigers6! There are only so many opportunities in a sporting event for success. All you have to ask yourself is "Would team A have won the game if the bad call from the official had not been called"? If the answer is yes then of course the officials cost them the game. Expecting the team to play better the previous portion of the game in order to overcome that call in retarded. It's hindsight and it's ridiculous to say! Tell team A before the game starts that they must score an additional 7 points to win because the officials will cost them 7 points late in the game and your comment might have merit. But a team cannot be expected to overcome something they don't know about until it happens. I would even go so far as to say the officials can cost a team the game even when they make GOOD calls. If you consider that there are probably a handful of possible penalties that could be called on every single play it makes it more essential that the officials don't CHOSE to enforce the rules at a point in the game or in such a way that harms one team over another in an unfair way. I think we all understand that there is holding on the O-line in some form or fashion on just about every single play. When the officials chose to enforce it is huge to the outcome. It's like the strike zone in baseball. The strike zone has already been established in the rules. It's not supposed to be subjective yet at every level we have allowed umpires to make it subjective. How the umpire elects to enforce the strike zone decides which pitchers and which batters have the advantage. Of course this cannot be avoided as long as we have people making the calls but let's not act like the officials don't impact the game.

Roughneck93
08-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Tony Romo 2013 debuts tonight...:cheerl:

Tejastrue
08-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Not a good sideline interview tonight.

Tejastrue
08-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Wow..talk about a Romo bash. I do think the Houston people need to worry more about their own team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/former-nfl-lineman-tony-romo-not-earned-dollar-144916175.html

Saggy Aggie
08-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Wow..talk about a Romo bash. I do think the Houston people need to worry more about their own team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/former-nfl-lineman-tony-romo-not-earned-dollar-144916175.html

Lol lets not generalize 'Houston people' by one dudes comments. I'm a texans fan and I've never even heard of this guy....

Correction: after further thought, I do remember the guy... But he hasn't played for Houston in 5 years and never really did crap to speak of when he did play with Houston... So eh. To be honest, myself and most texans fans, don't give a crap about the cowboys as long as they contine to suck... Which is more on Jerry than tony

Tejastrue
08-13-2013, 05:49 PM
My apologies to the Texans' faithful and Houstonians alike..I guess I pulled a Colin Cowherd. lol

bobcat1
08-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Who in the hell is Travis Johnson? A nobody other than another first round draft BUST?

Emerson1
08-13-2013, 11:15 PM
How can you say you are sure a QB can lead your team to the Super Bowl, but then doubt that he would actually win the game? What kind of stupid logic is that?

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 09:10 AM
The irony about this is that it isn't the opinion of just this bozo. Romo was voted most over-rated TWICE by his fellow NFL'ers.............................. The facts are that most of the current NFL players have very little respect for Tony Romo. That can't be under-stated.

Macarthur
08-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Who in the hell is Travis Johnson? A nobody other than another first round draft BUST?

No kidding. Boy, is there some irony in this d-bags rant.

Bullaholic
08-14-2013, 09:22 AM
How many wins against the good teams, plus the playoffs, can be attributed mainly to the play of Romo? How many big, or come from behind wins under pressure in the style of Elway or Peyton Manning has he had?

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 09:32 AM
How many wins against the good teams, plus the playoffs, can be attributed mainly to the play of Romo? How many big, or come from behind wins under pressure in the style of Elway or Peyton Manning has he had?

Romo has had some great games in his career. I cannot however think of any games that I would say Romo carried the team to victory mainly on the strength of his performance. (but i admit I am biased on this subject). I can however think of quite a few games that Romo actually cost the team any opportunity to win because of his mistakes................

hollywood
08-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Romio has good stats.

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Romio has good stats.

Probably a good pickup for a fantasy QB this season. I expect he will put up good numbers again because the running game should be better.

hookandladder
08-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Neither Texas team has a QB capable of winning a Super Bowl, just cannot get it done when it counts. Stats are pretty to look at but that's all, Championships are what it's all about.

hollywood
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
But he still has good stats. Doesn't that constitute for a $108M contract????

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Neither Texas team has a QB capable of winning a Super Bowl, just cannot get it done when it counts. Stats are pretty to look at but that's all, Championships are what it's all about.

Romo can if we put 11 Pro Bowlers around him! Wait, we tried that already...... NEVERMIND! :ack!:

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
But he still has good stats. Doesn't that constitute for a $108M contract????

Those stats don't tell the whole story. They don't correctly measure the worth of a QB in today's NFL. Based on those stats something like 20 of the top 25 NFL QBs of all time are still playing. According to today's rating system Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, Carson Palmer, Chad Pennington and Matt Schaub are all top 20 QBs in history.

BEAST
08-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Romo can if we put 11 Pro Bowlers around him! Wait, we tried that already...... NEVERMIND! :ack!:

If they put 11 Pro Bowlers around him that would mean to many men on the field. Perhaps thats why it didnt work.
I kid, I kid......

BEAST

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 03:31 PM
If they put 11 Pro Bowlers around him that would mean to many men on the field. Perhaps thats why it didnt work.
I kid, I kid......

BEAST

I'm pretty sure they did play with 12 players on the field most times. Let's count:

10 offensive players.
Tony Romo
and
The monkey on Tony's back.

Yep, that's 12.........................

BILLYFRED0000
08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Romo has been overhyped since his first season as the starter for this team. Funny how he went from just about cut in favor of people like Quincey Carter, Drew Hensen and Vinny Testiverde to being the savior of the franchise in a few short months. Romo couldn't break into the top 3 QBs on the Cowboy team for 4 years and then suddenly became worth Tom Brady type money! Jerry Jones played you guys into accepting a very mediocre QB as a franchise type QB for America's team. And you bought into it hook, line and sinker. (to be fair, I did too at first)

He is a good quarterback. Your problem is you want him to be Tom Brady.... So tell me just how many tom brady quarterbacks have there been in the last few years....... Why that would be one. The problem has been the defense and O line..... And all you carp on is Romo.

ogg
08-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Problem with Romo is Romo, when he’s hot you can’t beat him with circus scrambling, accurate throws, on field coaching. Then he goes overconfident and arrogant by making poor decisions on a play or two and it’s over. Meltdown. I do hope he gets it together this year and the boys go deep in the playoffs.

regaleagle
08-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty sure they did play with 12 players on the field most times. Let's count:

10 offensive players.
Tony Romo
and
The monkey on Tony's back.

Yep, that's 12.........................

That's quite humorous, FF....even if I do still support Romo. Pretty quick thinking there.

hollywood
08-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Romo is a good QB. An average pro QB. Is he great? No way. Is he $108M worth of QB? Hell to the no!! Is he overrated? Hell yes. But is he a good QB? Yep