PDA

View Full Version : S2S BBQ Road Trip

Matthew328
07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey dont forget about the S2S BBQ Road Trip Next Friday and Saturday!!! Two days on the road with the S2S boys...lots of BBQ, lots of midgets...errr beer....we may even dine with some coaches and talk some of the great game!!

Should be fun!! Once the schedule is finalized I'll post...

Gsquared
07-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Hey dont forget about the S2S BBQ Road Trip Next Friday and Saturday!!! Two days on the road with the S2S boys...lots of BBQ, lots of midgets...errr beer....we may even dine with some coaches and talk some of the great game!!

Im gonna start stretching my stomach now. I want to be in tip top shape for this!!!! This could be more epic than the Louisiana trip!

BwdLion73
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Take Pictures...:D:evilgrin::D

Matthew328
07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Its looking like the 5 stops on our tour will be:

Miller's Smokouse, Belton (Friday night)
Snow's Lexington, (Saturday morning)
City Market, Luling (Saturday lunch)
Somepace in Elgin; not sure which one (Saturday dinner)
Franklin's, Austin (Sunday brunch)

Old Tiger
07-08-2013, 03:04 PM

I'd skip Elgin honestly and just go to Black's in Lockhart.

You should get to Franklin about 9 am sunday. I might meet y'all there at Franklins.

Matthew328
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM

You should get to Franklin about 9 am sunday. I might meet y'all there at Franklins.

I think we plan on getting to Franklin's around 9....

Gsquared
07-08-2013, 03:32 PM
I think we plan on getting to Franklin's around 9....

Man, 9AM is gonna suck big time for those on this trip that are hung over.

Matthew328
07-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah my next mission to ensure we find hotels that have fridges...so beverages are kept cold...

Matthew328
07-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Well we found hotels that have fridges and booked em....we are basing out of Round Rock....so Williamson County better be ready.....its gonna get wild....

Gsquared
07-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Well we found hotels that have fridges and booked em....we are basing out of Round Rock....so Williamson County better be ready.....its gonna get wild....

Oh great, bet you booked our room, with one twin bed.

Old Tiger
07-09-2013, 03:36 PM

You shouldn't have booked in Williamson Co if you wanted to get wild.

Gsquared
07-09-2013, 03:49 PM
You shouldn't have booked in Williamson Co if you wanted to get wild.
Ive hard Williamson county officials dont play around at that County Jail. Heard some DPS dudes that stop people with pot in thier car close to the county line tell the people look , if you let us search your car and we find something, we WONT take you to Williamson Co but if you make us get a warrant and we find something, you are going to Williamson Co. They always say, yep, search away! lol

Old Tiger
07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Ive hard Williamson county officials dont play around at that County Jail. Heard some DPS dudes that stop people with pot in thier car close to the county line tell the people look , if you let us search your car and we find something, we WONT take you to Williamson Co but if you make us get a warrant and we find something, you are going to Williamson Co. They always say, yep, search away! lol

Not probably far from the truth...I hear the officials there go for the max punishment even if it is your first offense.

Bull Butter
07-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Black's is top notch!

ctown81
07-10-2013, 09:29 AM

How hot are the midgets?

Gsquared
07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
How hot are the midgets?

Really hot. One of them is like 4 ft 2 in heels

Matthew328
07-15-2013, 10:25 AM
It's this week!!!!!!!

hollywood
07-15-2013, 05:12 PM

If y'all can squeeze in Louie Mueller's in Taylor, I recommend the brisket! OMG

Old Tiger
07-15-2013, 05:17 PM
If y'all can squeeze in Louie Mueller's in Taylor, I recommend the brisket! OMG

Franklin brisket is best in Texas. Beef rib is what you get at Louis mueller

Matthew328
07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
I've always heard Mueller's brisket was kinda meh...went to Smitty's yesterday..brisket was still solid

hollywood
07-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Franklin brisket is best in Texas. Beef rib is what you get at Louis mueller

Beef rib was freakin HUGE! Not the best I've had, but good. Country Tavern in Kilgore was top.

hollywood
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I've always heard Mueller's brisket was kinda meh...went to Smitty's yesterday..brisket was still solid

Depends on preference. Louie Mueller's brisket on Thursday was heavenly!

Coulda been the gentlemen in front of me that was so antsy when he got his brisket and said "Oh my, it's heaven" that got me. ;)

Melted in my mouth. It was top notch the day I had it.

Matthew328
07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Depends on preference. Louie Mueller's brisket on Thursday was heavenly!

Coulda been the gentlemen in front of me that was so antsy when he got his brisket and said "Oh my, it's heaven" that got me. ;)

Melted in my mouth. It was top notch the day I had it.

I'm going to start fasting in preperation for the trip

Gsquared
07-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Im going to Wal-mart or Target tonight to get me some stretchy pants with an elastic waisteband. Thats how im preparing.

hollywood
07-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Lol... I'm envious

hollywood
07-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Im going to Wal-mart or Target tonight to get me some stretchy pants with an elastic waisteband. Thats how im preparing.

G, make sure they are kaki... Not the white ones you want so bad.

Matthew328
07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Here's the game plan

Friday: Miller's, Belton
Sat: Snow's in Lexington, drive through LaGrange to Luling.....stop at Bucees..drop a dueuce..eat lunch at City Market.....drive to Kruez in Lockhart...gets some stuff to go..go back to the hotel and let food digest....Sat night...go to Stiles Switch in Austin...
Sunday: Franklin's BBQ

Gsquared
07-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Here's the game plan

Friday: Miller's, Belton
Sat: Snow's in Lexington, drive through LaGrange to Luling.....stop at Bucees..drop a dueuce..eat lunch at City Market.....drive to Kruez in Lockhart...gets some stuff to go..go back to the hotel and let food digest....Sat night...go to Stiles Switch in Austin...
Sunday: Franklin's BBQ

Im gonna go on record as saying scheduling only one "duece" stop is not enough.

Matthew328
07-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Im gonna go on record as saying scheduling only one "duece" stop is not enough.

There is a Bucees in Giddings...

Gsquared
07-19-2013, 08:15 AM
There is a Bucees in Giddings...

Duece stop in Luling and one in Giddings. I got a ticket in Giddings last year. Thinking I ***MIGHT***have forgotten to pay that.

Old Tiger
07-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Well if last night and today are any indicator on how much room I have in the gut then I'm just about empty. :tmi:

Matthew328
07-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Miller's Smokehouse in Belton was AWESOME....great brisket and ribs...sausage was solid...guys that run the place were fantastic....sat and chatted with us for a while, talked BBQ and he showed us the pits and how they smoke the brisket....then he brought us out the holy grail of BBQ....BURNT ENDS!!! Amazing....great ambiance to the place...screen door at the front, old brick on the building.....added points there....this place is a must visit in Central Texas if you dont want to drive all the way to Austin

Matthew328
07-20-2013, 06:51 PM
First stop of the morning was in Lexington at Snow's...we got Snow's right at 8am and there wasn't a line yet..we walked in and checked out the its and the Snowman and Ms. Tootsie were outside tending the pits..much like Miller's they chatted with us and showed us the pits etc.....real friendly folks once again....we went inside and ordered a pound of brisket, ribs, sausage and jalapeno/cheese sausage and sat outside and ate....there's no question, the brisket was the best I've had up to this point..simple with just a salt and pepper rub but pure perfection..brisket just fell apart in my hands....great bark...smoke flavor all through...simply amazing...ribs and sausage were very good as well but after eating that brisket its hard to even fathom any other meat from there...

After a stop in LaGrange and in Luling at Bucees...we tried to go to City Market in Luling, but the lunch rush had the line really long..so we decided to head up to Lockhart and check out Kruez....Kreuz is a large place..really big holds a lot of people...but the BBQ wasn't as bad as you might think...it was decent, especially the sausage which was first rate....brisket and ribs were good but not great.....we got a pound of ham also which was pretty good as well..

The final stop of the afternoon was Luling City Market..Luling's a unique little town. they like their oil and they have a ton of people selling watermelons on the highway...City Market is an old place, reeks of Texas BBQ...walking into the pit room you can just see the smoke on the walls....we knew this place was known for ribs, but the sausage was a pleasant surprise as well....now to the ribs..WOW...best ribs I personally have ever eaten...tender, fall off the bone good, tremendous flavor and basted with a sweet marinade....outstanding with nothing on it....but add their sauce and goodness....its even better!! City Market uses a mustard based sauce similar to Salt Lick's but its IMO WAY better....you just need a little bit of sauce and it goes a long way....we bought four bottles to take with us to go as well...

We are back in the hotel right now letting the food digest.....tonight Stop #5 on the BBQ Road Trip is Stiles Switch BBQ in Austin

Matthew328
07-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Final stop of the day was Stiles Switch BBQ on North Lamar in Austin. This place was in a cool old shopping center that was featured in the movie Dazed and Confused. Cool joint that would be really good to take a lady on a night out, but for true BBQ ambiance it was lacking some. As for the food, we didnt get there til 8:30pm so they had run out of sausage and pork ribs, so we weren't able to test out all the meats. We did get to try the brisket, beef rib and smoked turkey and for my money the turkey really impressed. It was very moist and had a great smoky flavor. The brisket was pretty good but compared to Snow's and Miller's it wasn't as good.....

Final stop tomorrow is Franklin BBQ in Austin

Matthew328
07-22-2013, 08:13 AM
It was late last night when I got back from the Rangers game and I was worn out so here's the full review of Franklin's

First off, if you want to eat there and you don't order ahead...get there early!! Like 8:45 early...everyone knows about this place now...it's literally like tailgating for BBQ, the food is an event unto itself...there's a guy renting chairs out there for five bucks, waitresses going around selling water and soda etc...I'd advise you to come prepared..bring some chairs, bring a cooler with some cold drinks in it, bring some cards etc to keep yourself busy etc....we didnt do any of that except bring water but we rented chairs and just chatted with the folks in line.

That was one thing I noticed about Franklin's everyone seemed truly happy to be there and excited to eat...and the staff there is OUTSTANDING..as busy and as famous as this place is you'd think the folks working there would be unfriendly and it was anything but....

By the time we got our food it was about 11:45....they had some brisket samples up front and my cousin was at the front of the line...he likes BBQ but he's a rib and sausage guy not really brisket..but he tried that Franklin's brisket and his first response was "SON OF A!" That told me this stuff was gonna be GOOD...and wow it was...brisket was seasoned perfectly just salt and pepper and smoke...great bark...and so damn tender..you could literally drink this stuff from a straw...the ribs were nothing short of perfect also...fall off the bone tender..unreal...I never thought I'd eat ribs better than City Market in Luling but I did at Franklin BBQ....we literally sat there at the table in awe of what we were eating...Franklin's sausage was very good as well...not quite as good as Kreuz IMO (more hot link style) but still very good....Franklin's has sauce and all 3 sauces are excellent...you can actually buy them at HEB now....

Franklin's even had really good bourbon banana pudding....in fact it was some of the best I'd ever eaten also...all in all if you like BBQ this place is somewhere you need to visit at least once.....its an investment but well worth it...

Matthew328
07-22-2013, 08:14 AM
BBQ Rankings

Brisket
1. Franklin BBQ
2. Snow's
3. Miller's Smokehouse
4. Stiles Switch
5. Kreuz
(Did not eat brisket at Luling City Market)

Sausage
1. Kreuz
2. Luling City Market
3. Franklin BBQ
4. Snow's
5. Miller Smokehouse
(Did not eat sausage at Stiles Switch)

Ribs
1. Franklin BBQ
2. Luling City Market
3. Miller's Smokehouse
4. Snow's
5. Kreuz
(Did not have ribs at Stiles Switch)

Overall Ranking
1. Franklin BBQ, Austin
2. City Market, Luling
3. Snow's Lexington
4. Miller's Smokehouse, Belton
5. Kreuz Market, Lockhart
6. Stiles Switch, Austin

44INAROW
07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
BBQ Rankings

Brisket
1. Franklin BBQ
2. Snow's
3. Miller's Smokehouse
4. Stiles Switch
5. Kreuz
(Did not eat brisket at Luling City Market)

Sausage
1. Kreuz
2. Luling City Market
3. Franklin BBQ
4. Snow's
5. Miller Smokehouse
(Did not eat sausage at Stiles Switch)

Ribs
1. Franklin BBQ
2. Luling City Market
3. Miller's Smokehouse
4. Snow's
5. Kreuz
(Did not have ribs at Stiles Switch)

Overall Ranking
1. Franklin BBQ, Austin
2. City Market, Luling
3. Snow's Lexington
4. Miller's Smokehouse, Belton
5. Kreuz Market, Lockhart
6. Stiles Switch, Austin

so Franklin is pretty much the place to go for BBQ! I haven't tried them but it sure is on my list.. Ironically, Parade Magazine featured Franklin's BBQ in their Sunday issue yesterday. :crazy:

Gsquared
07-22-2013, 10:55 AM
so Franklin is pretty much the place to go for BBQ! I haven't tried them but it sure is on my list.. Ironically, Parade Magazine featured Franklin's BBQ in their Sunday issue yesterday. :crazy:

I just saw that 44! Yea, you have got to try Franklin's. Worth the wait!

Matthew328
07-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I just saw that 44! Yea, you have got to try Franklin's. Worth the wait!

Franklin's is worth it...trust me

Gsquared
07-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Franklin's is worth it...trust me
This trip was awesome cuz Matt was there to keep me from passing out in a bounce house. Perfect baby sitter!

Matthew328
07-22-2013, 01:04 PM
This trip was awesome cuz Matt was there to keep me from passing out in a bounce house. Perfect baby sitter!

I was a little worried about you at Stiles Switch..you and that 6'3 300lb lady were sure friendly

Gsquared
07-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I was a little worried about you at Stiles Switch..you and that 6'3 300lb lady were sure friendly

I know, her husband was givin me the eye too. Them two were huge, i woulda made a crowd. Glad we got out of there when we did.