PDA

View Full Version : Houston Area Schools Losing Hoopsters

maestro
07-05-2013, 08:52 AM
According to the chronicle, five area players will choose to attend national prep or private schools this coming year.

Among those losing players, Yates High is losing two.

Reasons given are the continuation of specialization of youth in sports.

Article uses 7on 7 and AAU basketball as examples.

So far the preps have only hit the hoops circuit hard.

Will UIL baseball and football be next? Raided by prep and private schools?

Matthew328
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
According to the chronicle, five area players will choose to attend national prep or private schools this coming year.

Among those losing players, Yates High is losing two.

Reasons given are the continuation of specialization of youth in sports.

Article uses 7on 7 and AAU basketball as examples.

So far the preps have only hit the hoops circuit hard.

Will UIL baseball and football be next? Raided by prep and private schools?

Got a link? I'd like to read more

maestro
07-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Remember, this is the guy who could not get on Downlow last week!
Haha

I usually type in houston chronicle

Then go sports and then either high school or local

Sorry I b not tech stuff too well

Someone help out

Hopefully Old Tiger

Haha

Roughneck93
07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/Area-high-school-talent-finding-opportunities-to-4647765.php?t=72fc526d23

Old Tiger
07-05-2013, 11:37 AM
I pray 7on7 never turns into AAU. AAU is garbage

Ernest T Bass
07-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Only way to prevent this is for the UIL to let the high school coaches have more involvement.

cougartino
07-05-2013, 12:23 PM

I don't think it will because here, each high school's kids actually participate. Now those ESPN and national TV tournaments are a different story. But if the Texas 7 on 7 doesn't allow those type of all star teams to pay, we'll be fine. There are just too many choices. For example, does a kid pick ACME Prep for football over Katy, Allen, Southlake, North Shore, Highland Park, Lake Travis, Steele, etc.? I think tranfers in, not transfers out are the bugaboo for those type programs.

Matthew328
07-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't think it will because here, each high school's kids actually participate. Now those ESPN and national TV tournaments are a different story. But if the Texas 7 on 7 doesn't allow those type of all star teams to pay, we'll be fine. There are just too many choices. For example, does a kid pick ACME Prep for football over Katy, Allen, Southlake, North Shore, Highland Park, Lake Travis, Steele, etc.? I think tranfers in, not transfers out are the bugaboo for those type programs.

It's a lot harder for prep schools to pop up for football because its so expensive...

cougartino
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
It's a lot harder for prep schools to pop up for football because its so expensive...

Unless your name is Neon Prime Time. ;)

maestro
07-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Only way to prevent this is for the UIL to let the high school coaches have more involvement.

I agree. Maybe have the high school coaches approve the roster.

Troubles can occur even when the best of volunteer parents seek their own glory over the kids.

Keep your team local and I think that 7 on 7 will be fine.

Meaning do not allow members from several isd to combine.

Matthew328
07-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Prime Prep football's not setting the world on fire and probably won't

cookiemonster
07-07-2013, 11:33 AM
football will not allow this to happen due to the fact that most football coaches are survivors and workers and will do what they need to do to keep peoples hands out of the cookie jar! We offer free 7on7 all the way down to the 6th grade so our kids will cotinue to play local. Does it cost me alot of time and effort yes! None of our coaches get compensation for this but it keeps us rellevant in the process! We have other coaches in other sports who allow other people to charge their kids and they (in my opinion) will soon find themselves looking from the outside in!

If you want to recruit Football Players you call their HS Football Coach and watch their HS Football Game! If you want to recruit other sports you watch their AAU Tournament and talk to their AAU Coach!

cookiemonster
07-07-2013, 11:37 AM
We need to stop allowing Private Schools in our 7on7 leagues and Tournaments! We had this conversation this year and we will not allow it any longer! If we are expecting the UIL and Legislation to keep them out of the UIL then we should keep them out of 7on7 leagues and Tournaments!

maestro
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
football will not allow this to happen due to the fact that most football coaches are survivors and workers and will do what they need to do to keep peoples hands out of the cookie jar! We offer free 7on7 all the way down to the 6th grade so our kids will cotinue to play local. Does it cost me alot of time and effort yes! None of our coaches get compensation for this but it keeps us rellevant in the process! We have other coaches in other sports who allow other people to charge their kids and they (in my opinion) will soon find themselves looking from the outside in!

If you want to recruit Football Players you call their HS Football Coach and watch their HS Football Game! If you want to recruit other sports you watch their AAU Tournament and talk to their AAU Coach!

I admire your dedication.

Since UIL guidelines in the summer say non-sports specific conditioning may be supervised by UIL coaches, how are you so efficiently able to be with and organize these 7 on 7 events?

As I said in my earlier post, it is the fault of college coaches and UIL coaches that AAU has been allowed to take away power from UIL coaches and give it to AAU flesh peddlers.

Coach John Grammer has been running a quality summer league for boys of all ages for years. It services much of the area surrounding Victoria.

It saddens me that players pay the flesh peddlers up to 245.00 for six hours of tuition when their school coach could teach them the same skills for pennies.