PDA

View Full Version : Top 3a coaches

Eagle1
07-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Who do you think the top 3a coaches are?

I would have to go with
1. Sandier Ab Wylie
2. Traylor. Gilmer
3. Surratt. Carthage
4. Owens. Monahans
5. Celina, Argyle or El Campo coach

There are many good ones in 3a

RoyceTTU
07-05-2013, 10:00 AM

I would have to go with
1. Sandier Ab Wylie
2. Traylor. Gilmer
3. Surratt. Carthage
4. Owens. Monahans

I can't imagine anyone being above Surratt after all the success he's had.

hollywood
07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Of all time or current?

slingshot
07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Of all time or current?

All time would have to be Gordon Wood...

Eagle1
07-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Was talking about current no doubt Wood would be all time. I put Sandifer and Traylor ahead of Surratt because they have won a little longer.

movethechain
07-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Should add Dicky Meeks, now at Pittsburg, to the list. Two titles (Chapel Hill-4A and Henderson-3A).

Matthew328
07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Sometimes the best coaches are the ones who dont win the titles...

Weebe
07-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I can't imagine anyone being above Surratt after all the success he's had.

Surratt lost the semifinal game against El Campo for Carthage last year. I'm sure he would admit the same.

hollywood
07-05-2013, 03:58 PM

I'd agree with that

buckeyebob
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Traylor & Surratt are the winingest in 3A over the last 10 years...I can personally attest to the fine job Jeff does away from the field.

hollywood
07-05-2013, 04:05 PM

I would have to go with
1. Sandier Ab Wylie
2. Traylor. Gilmer
3. Surratt. Carthage
4. Owens. Monahans

I'd put Sandifer of AW at the top.
All the others at schools like Navasota, Carthage, Gilmer, Monahans, Celina, Argyle, El Campo, Graham, Stephenville get results year in and year out.

maestro
07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Sometimes the best coaches are the ones who dont win the titles...

I will throw in two surprises to this debate

Coach Russell Roberts, formally at Wharton for years, because he rescued WHS football when it was darn near in the toilet ( around 30 kids in the program from grades 9-12). Coach Roberts had his share of success and had the misfortune to run up against Shipley's Burnet teams twice. Fans of El Campo can thank Coach Roberts for the push to get Gillis back. WHS had those two years of back to back victories in the rivalry.

And secondly Brad Wright, did not stay long, but for the same reasons. Coach Wright brought pride and work habits back to the program.

movethechain
07-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Sandifer might be better, but what's his record against Traylor? Isn't he 0-2?

Bassact
07-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Jerry Vance at Liberty Hill has to be somewhere close to the top. Not only in football but has all Liberty Hill sports competing at a very high level every year.

cowboyandchrist
07-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Was talking about current no doubt Wood would be all time. I put Sandifer and Traylor ahead of Surratt because they have won a little longer.

Don't forget Surratt won a state title at Texas high in 4A before he took over at Carthage.

cowboyandchrist
07-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Surratt lost the semifinal game against El Campo for Carthage last year. I'm sure he would admit the same.

Two reasons Carthage lost that game. Dumb call by the coach with less than a minute to play and El Campo out played Carthage in the fourth quarter. I believe Carthage was the better team, but you have to play as hard when you have the lead as you do when you are behind. El Campo played the rear ends off from start to finish. That is another reason the Rattlers and the Ville were better than everyone else. They both played the whole game with the gas peddle on the floor board.

speedbump
07-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Don't forget Surratt won a state title at Texas high in 4A before he took over at Carthage.

I think the subject is head coaches not assistants.

maestro
07-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Jerry Vance at Liberty Hill has to be somewhere close to the top. Not only in football but has all Liberty Hill sports competing at a very high level every year.

Coach Vance is a solid professional and winner. His teams will be prepared.

Eagle1
07-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Yes, he is a good one.

Aesculus gilmus
07-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Traylor & Surratt are the winingest in 3A over the last 10 years...I can personally attest to the fine job Jeff does away from the field.

Hugh Sandifer has won more games than Surratt, simply because he has been a head coach for the entire 10 years. Of course, measured by titles, Surratt is first with three titles in only six years as a head coach.

Having been around Coach Traylor quite a bit also over the years, I can say I've never met a man who hated losing as much as he does. He treats a loss as if it's a death in the family. He reminds me of Vince Lombardi, who famously said, "Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing!"

slingshot
07-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Sandifer might be better, but what's his record against Traylor? Isn't he 0-2?If Sandifer had Traylor's or Surrat's talent/skill mix in his athlete pool he would prob be sitting on 5-6 titles right now...

bird_fan
07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Two reasons Carthage lost that game. Dumb call by the coach with less than a minute to play and El Campo out played Carthage in the fourth quarter. I believe Carthage was the better team, but you have to play as hard when you have the lead as you do when you are behind. El Campo played the rear ends off from start to finish. That is another reason the Rattlers and the Ville were better than everyone else. They both played the whole game with the gas peddle on the floor board.
I agree especially talent wise Carthage was the better team. El Campo may not have a bunch of titles like Carthage and the Vlle and Brownwood but they have been consistantly winning more than the lose through their history and a lot of i was beause of good coaching. epecially the Likes of Bob Gillis

Weebe
07-06-2013, 11:23 AM

That's my point. How good of a coach do you have to be when you always have better talent than everyone you play?

Carthage certainly had more talent than El Campo. That's where coaching comes in.

Scoop27
07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Brad Wright was at East Bernard one year and had tremendous success in leading the Brahmas to the playoffs after they were down

Eagle1
07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree especially talent wise Carthage was the better team. El Campo may not have a bunch of titles like Carthage and the Vlle and Brownwood but they have been consistantly winning more than the lose through their history and a lot of i was beause of good coaching. epecially the Likes of Bob Gillis
Part of being a great coach is not only X's and O's but developing talent. Never heard a whole lot about Carthage or gilmer before Surratt and Traylor got there. I think Owens from Monahans may get the most out of what he has than any other 3a coach.

slingshot
07-06-2013, 03:57 PM
...I think Owens from Monahans may get the most out of what he has than any other 3a coach.Absolutely agree.

CTS
07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Mike Jackson at La Marque, and before you think "anyone can win at LM" ask some of the folks from this board the kind of challenges you face at that place, especially in the past 2-3 years. He's taken 4 different schools to the 4th round. Not 4 teams, 4 different schools. Won two state titles in the private schools in Shiner and St. Pius X before the age of 25. Won in South Texas at Charlotte taking them to the Astrodome. Made the playoffs 5 years in a row at Chavez HS when they had never had a winning record in the history of the school before he got there or since he left. Is on Lonestar Gridiron's list of top wins all time in the state of Texas at a young age. If he keeps winning at the rate he's done so far he would end up in the top 10-20 in all time in wins. Has had 11 former assistants go on to be head coaches and six 7on7 groups in a row make the state tournament.

And probably the neatest fact, dude has never been an assistant. Ever. Started his career at 22 as an AD/Head Football Coach and has done it for 20 years.

Now I will add I have known him for over 20 years and coached with him back in the day, so my opinion is biased lol... but he is the real deal. If he stays at La Marque for any length of time he'll add another ring to the two he already has.

ctown81
07-06-2013, 05:08 PM
That's my point. How good of a coach do you have to be when you always have better talent than everyone you play?

Carthage certainly had more talent than El Campo. That's where coaching comes in.

Weebie, Carthage has ALWAYS had talent but it takes the right type of coach to put it in place. THere's talent all over the state and there are teams with just as much talent as Carthage but barely make the playoffs. Suratt is great at developing talent. Having the best talent doesn't equal a state championship. If that was the case Palestine would have won state.

speedbump
07-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Starting with Weddell, how many different coaches have taken LM to the quarter finals?

Weebe
07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Weebie, Carthage has ALWAYS had talent but it takes the right type of coach to put it in place. THere's talent all over the state and there are teams with just as much talent as Carthage but barely make the playoffs. Suratt is great at developing talent. Having the best talent doesn't equal a state championship. If that was the case Palestine would have won state.

Give him the choice of coaching at Carthage or Robstown and see which one he takes.

CTS
07-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Starting with Weddell, how many different coaches have taken LM to the quarter finals?

Weddell, Walker, Erwin, Jordan & Jackson

ctown81
07-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Give him the choice of coaching at Carthage or Robstown and see which one he takes.

Not quite sure what the point of this post is. What does this do with him being a good coach or not?

LHPfactory
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM

I agree, He has taken LH Sports to the top.

Weebe
07-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Not quite sure what the point of this post is. What does this do with him being a good coach or not?

Again, the point is that I don't know how you determine how good a coach is when he has more talent than everyone he plays.

In theory, isn't he supposed to win every game?

speedbump
07-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Weddell, Walker, Erwin, Jordan & Jackson

That makes me think "anyone can win at LM"

Eagle1
07-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Again, the point is that I don't know how you determine how good a coach is when he has more talent than everyone he plays.

I am sure many teams in east Texas jasper, center, Henderson, Atlanta, Palestine, Pittsburg, LE Gladewater, etc. all have talent or the potential that Carthage or gilmer has but have not consistently produced the results.

ctown81
07-07-2013, 09:19 AM

So by your logic, any coach with talent should not be considered as the best or top coach? Weebie look at what you're saying regarding they should win every game in theory. Really think about that one for a second. if you follow any sport you know Talent doesn't equal titles. I.E. Dallas Cowboys, Miami Heat a couple of days ago, 2004 Olympic Basketball team and so on. Like I said, talent did not magically appear in Carthage in 2008. El Campo just made the upset last year, that's why they are called upset. In 2011, Surratt took a Carthage team that was young and very inexperienced and it took Argyle coming back and a missed field goal in the 3rd overtime to send us home. To be honest we should have never been in that game. Argyle was the much better team that season. Surratt can coach. Not saying he is the best but give credit where credit is due.

Carthage always has D1 talent but they don't become that on their own. Comes with both coaching and promoting your players. There are D1 potentials on a lot of teams in the state but if they are not properly coached it doesn't happen. I don't view coaches as the end all be all, but don't take away b/c a coach has talent.

Rabid Cougar
07-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Mark Bell at China Spring since 1996.

Dawgs
07-07-2013, 09:52 AM
So by your logic, any coach with talent should not be considered as the best or top coach? Weebie look at what you're saying regarding they should win every game in theory. Really think about that one for a second. if you follow any sport you know Talent doesn't equal titles. I.E. Dallas Cowboys, Miami Heat a couple of days ago, 2004 Olympic Basketball team and so on. Like I said, talent did not magically appear in Carthage in 2008. El Campo just made the upset last year, that's why they are called upset. In 2011, Surratt took a Carthage team that was young and very inexperienced and it took Argyle coming back and a missed field goal in the 3rd overtime to send us home. To be honest we should have never been in that game. Argyle was the much better team that season. Surratt can coach. Not saying he is the best but give credit where credit is due.

Carthage always has D1 talent but they don't become that on their own. Comes with both coaching and promoting your players. There are D1 potentials on a lot of teams in the state but if they are not properly coached it doesn't happen. I don't view coaches as the end all be all, but don't take away b/c a coach has talent.

Good post. I'm not sure why it seems the El Campo crew has a problem with other people saying Surratt is one of the top 3 coaches in the state. Its pretty obvious. Guys, Coach Gillis out coached Surratt last year in the semi-finals. Your kids also played harder. Congrats. I think we will stick by our guy, and will be looking foward to seeing you guys again at the same point in the season.

cookiemonster
07-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I second Mark Bell as one of the top guys in the state!!

cookiemonster
07-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Kurt Jones a Gordon Wood Decipal will make a name for himself in the next 5 yrs! One big reason is he has two Coordinators that are at the top of the game! One who has previously been a Head Coach and another that will be a great Head Coach when he gets a well deserved break!

Eagle1
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Kurt Jones a Gordon Wood Decipal will make a name for himself in the next 5 yrs! One big reason is he has two Coordinators that are at the top of the game! One who has previously been a Head Coach and another that will be a great Head Coach when he gets a well deserved break!

Where does Kurt Jones coach at?

Old Tiger
07-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Coach Vance is a solid professional and winner. His teams will be prepared.

He hasn't done much since he lost the oc they had to rogets

hollywood
07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Where does Kurt Jones coach at?

Burnet durnet

Bassact
07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
He hasn't done much since he lost the oc they had to rogets

Semi finals in 2008 isn't to shabby.

Talent, luck and injuries has a lot more to do with LH drop off the last few years than anything else.

Old Tiger
07-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Talent, luck and injuries has a lot more to do with LH drop off the last few years than anything else.

Explain the decline up LH and the rise of Rogers...

Ville-D
07-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I'd put Gillespie up against any HC out there. He is a good man, a good leader, has integrity, plays to win and passes all these traits on to the boys he coaches.

Not to mention that he has won the 3a SC every year he has been a 3a coach HC...

bobcat1
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Talent, luck and injuries has a lot more to do with LH drop off the last few years than anything else.I think they got their heart broke in the 2008 Semis.:taunt:

ahs_indian_fan
07-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Its hard to make a list of top coaches and not mention coach Dixon and the job he has done at Alvarado over the last seven (or eight, can't remember) years.

regaleagle
07-08-2013, 01:29 AM
Well, let's not overlook the fantastic job Todd Rodgers has done at Argyle. In his first head coaching job, he took a basketball school that had a 2 yr. football experience and hasn't had a losing season....ever. Over 100 wins in ten seasons is a GREAT accomplishment taking a small 2A school from nothingness into football elitism now in 3A. How about assembling a great staff and taking his team to the SC game his 3rd season in 2A? And getting all the players in a basketball town to "buy-in" to his program from the start? Now the program is rich from the bottom up....and so are all the other sports....thanks to Todd Rodgers. This is the absolute truth, and all those that are aware of the circumstances when he came in knows it. My son was an incoming freshman that first season, so I was there at inception and have seen the complete development. And what a great teacher and role model he exemplifies for the rest of the staff and the student body. He is held in very high regard by those in the know.

buckeyebob
07-08-2013, 08:11 AM

FYI...Carthrage always has the better team, even when they have the "L"...never has a team outplayed them...they use the dog at my stuff, green men did it, it was too early, too late...always an excuse & it can be very lame.

maestro
07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Well, let's not overlook the fantastic job Todd Rodgers has done at Argyle. In his first head coaching job, he took a basketball school that had a 2 yr. football experience and hasn't had a losing season....ever. Over 100 wins in ten seasons is a GREAT accomplishment taking a small 2A school from nothingness into football elitism now in 3A. How about assembling a great staff and taking his team to the SC game his 3rd season in 2A? And getting all the players in a basketball town to "buy-in" to his program from the start? Now the program is rich from the bottom up....and so are all the other sports....thanks to Todd Rodgers. This is the absolute truth, and all those that are aware of the circumstances when he came in knows it. My son was an incoming freshman that first season, so I was there at inception and have seen the complete development. And what a great teacher and role model he exemplifies for the rest of the staff and the student body. He is held in very high regard by those in the know.

Thanks for writing this. I always like to read about " complete " coaches promoting " complete athletic " programs and making a difference.

I don't understand why football and basketball coaches feel the need to tug kids away from each other.

ctown81
07-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Great post. Not everyone is capable of pulling off what he did.

Bassact
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Explain the decline up LH and the rise of Rogers...

Walker is a great coach. But LH decline started 2 years after he left for Rogers. Same could be said about the Defense.

Has Rogers made it past Area? May have more wins but not much better in the playoffs than LH.

The average talent pool in LH has been way down the last 3-4 years than what it was the previous 6 years are so.

As an AD Vance has all sports in LH performing at a very high level.

defense51
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Its hard to make a list of top coaches and not mention coach Dixon and the job he has done at Alvarado over the last seven (or eight, can't remember) years.There's a great list of coaches mentioned on this thread, and most probably don't get the recognition they deserve for all they do. Coach Dixon has helped improve all the athletic programs since he's been at Alvarado. He's brought a winning mentality to the school and community. I think as a Coach you approach greatness when you can change an entire the way of thinking of a community, meaning you bring a will to win and a thought process of winning in all sports, not just football. The great coaches bring out the best and develop talent without always having the best athletes, both on and off the field! I've seen this happen here in Alvarado over the last eight years, and would put Coach Dixon in the mix with all the other great coaches mentioned. Everyone wants a state championship, but there's alot of other tangibles and intangibles that go along with being a great Coach.

Dawgs
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
FYI...Carthrage always has the better team, even when they have the "L"...never has a team outplayed them...they use the dog at my stuff, green men did it, it was too early, too late...always an excuse & it can be very lame.

And I guess the Gilmer fans don't do exactly what you are saying the Carthage fans do...Only thing that's lame is your post. FYI the last 5 or 6 years Carthage has been better than most teams they have played. Win or Lose. We have 3 titles, a semi final & quarter final appearance to prove it.

ctown81
07-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Wow you REALLY went out of your way on this one to take a shot at Carthage.

refereedoc
07-08-2013, 01:45 PM
There's a great list of coaches mentioned on this thread, and most probably don't get the recognition they deserve for all they do. Coach Dixon has helped improve all the athletic programs since he's been at Alvarado. He's brought a winning mentality to the school and community. I think as a Coach you approach greatness when you can change an entire the way of thinking of a community, meaning you bring a will to win and a thought process of winning in all sports, not just football. The great coaches bring out the best and develop talent without always having the best athletes, both on and off the field! I've seen this happen here in Alvarado over the last eight years, and would put Coach Dixon in the mix with all the other great coaches mentioned. Everyone wants a state championship, but there's alot of other tangibles and intangibles that go along with being a great Coach.

I will second the motion on Coach Dixon, reminds me a lot of Coach Gillespie.I got visit with Coach Dixon and Mrs. Coach by chance in Houston a couple of weeks ago. I was really impressed with him and his better half as they took time to visit with me. We talked about the kids from both teams and he is just a CLASS act. If we didn't live in Stephenville, I would want my son to play for him.

buckeyebob
07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
And I guess the Gilmer fans don't do exactly what you are saying the Carthage fans do...Only thing that's lame is your post. FYI the last 5 or 6 years Carthage has been better than most teams they have played. Win or Lose. We have 3 titles, a semi final & quarter final appearance to prove it.

Wow you REALLY went out of your way on this one to take a shot at Carthage.

Your absolutley correct...not only a shot, a very cheap shot...as far as the Gilmer fans, most that I know take a spanking and move on, not making a lot of excuses...Cathrage fans are still whining about 2011...we will be glad to give 'ya another shot.

Eagle1
07-08-2013, 05:43 PM
I will second the motion on Coach Dixon, reminds me a lot of Coach Gillespie.I got visit with Coach Dixon and Mrs. Coach by chance in Houston a couple of weeks ago. I was really impressed with him and his better half as they took time to visit with me. We talked about the kids from both teams and he is just a CLASS act. If we didn't live in Stephenville, I would want my son to play for him.

Coach Dixon does an outstanding job, too outstanding of a job when he plays my old hometown:). I have heard great things about him as a person also.

hollywood
07-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Your absolutley correct...not only a shot, a very cheap shot...as far as the Gilmer fans, most that I know take a spanking and move on, not making a lot of excuses...Cathrage fans are still whining about 2011...we will be glad to give 'ya another shot.

buckeyebob, will we be seeing you in Round Rock this week? Look forward to meeting some of the Carthage and Gilmer supporters! Hopefully in bracket play on Friday as well. ;)

buckeyebob
07-09-2013, 05:01 AM
buckeyebob, will we be seeing you in Round Rock this week? Look forward to meeting some of the Carthage and Gilmer supporters! Hopefully in bracket play on Friday as well. ;)

We will be there...field 2 @ 2...three old men behaving badley

Halup
07-09-2013, 01:39 PM
. . .I think Owens from Monahans may get the most out of what he has than any other 3a coach.

I am a Monahans "homer" who is constantly amazed at what Owens has accomplished over the past 8 years with his available "talent pool". When he first arrived in 2005, he inherited a "small school" 3A program that had gone 40 -- 39 over the previous 7 years. He switched from the Spread to Wing T and an emphasis on agressive defense. The returning players from 2004's 4 -- 6 squad bought into his philosophy and system. They went 13 --1 his first year (2005), losing in the Quarterfinals. The Loboes have now made the playoffs in all 8 years of Owens' tenure (3 area rounds, 2 regional rounds, 2 quarterfinals, and 1 semi-final) while posting an overall win percentage of 80%.

And now, the amazing statistic -- The Loboes are average high school kids; nothing more, and nothing less. During Owens tenure, there has not been a single D1 player and you can count on one hand the D2 players. The other 300 or so kids that have played for Owens' have all retired with their last high school playoff game.

The Loboes have played many teams with far more athleticism, speed, size, and talent. If the Loboes have beaten you, it is because of their coaching, discipline, poise, and confidence rather than their talent or athleticism. If you have beat the Loboes, the odds are you left the field knowing you had been in a dogfight. This is all because of the influence of Mickey Owens.

The other coaches mentioned in this thread indeed are superior coaches. I'm not saying that Owens is better than any of them; but he sure belongs in this discussion.

Eagle1
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I am a Monahans "homer" who is constantly amazed at what Owens has accomplished over the past 8 years with his available "talent pool". When he first arrived in 2005, he inherited a "small school" 3A program that had gone 40 -- 39 over the previous 7 years. He switched from the Spread to Wing T and an emphasis on agressive defense. The returning players from 2004's 4 -- 6 squad bought into his philosophy and system. They went 13 --1 his first year (2005), losing in the Quarterfinals. The Loboes have now made the playoffs in all 8 years of Owens' tenure (3 area rounds, 2 regional rounds, 2 quarterfinals, and 1 semi-final) while posting an overall win percentage of 80%.

And now, the amazing statistic -- The Loboes are average high school kids; nothing more, and nothing less. During Owens tenure, there has not been a single D1 player and you can count on one hand the D2 players. The other 300 or so kids that have played for Owens' have all retired with their last high school playoff game.

The Loboes have played many teams with far more athleticism, speed, size, and talent. If the Loboes have beaten you, it is because of their coaching, discipline, poise, and confidence rather than their talent or athleticism. If you have beat the Loboes, the odds are you left the field knowing you had been in a dogfight. This is all because of the influence of Mickey Owens.

The other coaches mentioned in this thread indeed are superior coaches. I'm not saying that Owens is better than any of them; but he sure belongs in this discussion.

I travel a lot with work and like to talk ball with people, and I have heard people talk highly about Owens. The people of Monahans should be proud to have him and his staff.

LHPfactory
07-09-2013, 10:50 PM
I think they got their heart broke in the 2008 Semis.:taunt:

In 2008, The running backs were all gone. That team won on the offensive line and experience, I had a bad feeling about that one...despite my homer prediction.

Ive watched the LH 7on7 (sand lot) the past month. The boys look bigger, faster, and stronger than last year as a whole, Its early but I think they will be improved. The team morale looks great, and I love the 3rd spot ranking we received from DCTF.... Brownwood and Burnet are the teams to beat!

Cant wait till August....

And I agree with Bassact, Jerry Vance has made the LH athletic program as a whole a class act. He has turned the tide in football greatly, he is roughly 110-29 at LH which improved the LH long record to 293-403-24. LH was historically a loosing program, by the long record we still are, but since Vance LH is a respected power. He has raised the standard so high that a 6-4 season is considered bad around here. Speaking of Walker in Rogers and Herman who just took over in Lockhart, Vance has produced some quality coaches in his tree while at LH.

I was talking to the family of a UT linebacker (name not disclosed to protect their privacy) last weekend and they told me that they know several Leander/Cedar Park faithful families that are planning on moving their kids to LH.... Moving from Leander ISD says a lot, that's a great district with great programs.

We cant forget where we came from, I do know the itch for some more deep run teams is getting strong around here. I have a feeling Defense is going to get a lot of attention this year.

We are working hard in the Youth leagues to build young Panthers belief in the LH (Vance) system. The best is yet to come in LH....

1971Coogs
07-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Mike Jackson at La Marque, and before you think "anyone can win at LM" ask some of the folks from this board the kind of challenges you face at that place, especially in the past 2-3 years. He's taken 4 different schools to the 4th round. Not 4 teams, 4 different schools. Won two state titles in the private schools in Shiner and St. Pius X before the age of 25. Won in South Texas at Charlotte taking them to the Astrodome. Made the playoffs 5 years in a row at Chavez HS when they had never had a winning record in the history of the school before he got there or since he left. Is on Lonestar Gridiron's list of top wins all time in the state of Texas at a young age. If he keeps winning at the rate he's done so far he would end up in the top 10-20 in all time in wins. Has had 11 former assistants go on to be head coaches and six 7on7 groups in a row make the state tournament.

And probably the neatest fact, dude has never been an assistant. Ever. Started his career at 22 as an AD/Head Football Coach and has done it for 20 years.

Now I will add I have known him for over 20 years and coached with him back in the day, so my opinion is biased lol... but he is the real deal. If he stays at La Marque for any length of time he'll add another ring to the two he already has.excellent post and I love the history behind the facts

1971Coogs
07-12-2013, 06:14 PM
That makes me think "anyone can win at LM"Yes, but can they handle the pressure year in and year out and when you say "win" we take that to mean "the Show" as indicated by my signature below.

speedbump
07-12-2013, 06:30 PM
"Yes, but can they handle the pressure year in and year out and when you say "win" we take that to mean "the Show" as indicated by my signature below."

Your signature pretty much proves my point.

1971Coogs
07-12-2013, 06:34 PM
"Yes, but can they handle the pressure year in and year out and when you say "win" we take that to mean "the Show" as indicated by my signature below."

Your signature pretty much proves my point.Yes but of the five different coaches that went to "the show" only two came away with the hardware ;) We feel there will be a third one pretty soon

1971Coogs
07-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Your signature pretty much proves my point.Your signature is definitely not a dolichonyx ?

speedbump
07-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Yes but of the five different coaches that went to "the show" only two came away with the hardware ;) We feel there will be a third one pretty soon

I'd bet on this year.

Bull Butter
07-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Just wondering......you give some of the South Texas 3A coaches the kind of talent that is upstate and wonder how they would do?
Bomar (Orange Grove)
Stumbaugh (Port Isabel)
Allen (Sinton)
Detmer (Somerset)
Hesseltine (Ingleside)
James (Rio Hondo)

speedbump
07-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Your signature is definitely not a dolichonyx ?

A what ????

buckeyebob
07-13-2013, 08:12 AM
I'd bet on this year.

Others may have a little say-so here...just saying

oldtownag
07-13-2013, 08:37 AM
58-1 in Fooyball District Play

Just remember where that 1 Fooyball :) loss came from!

speedbump
07-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Others may have a little say-so here...just saying

Others had a little say so when they got those five rings too.

1971Coogs
07-13-2013, 09:40 AM
A what ????that's Latin for Ricebird

1971Coogs
07-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Others had a little say so when they got those five rings too.Actually we've been to "the Show" ten times BUT "the Milk Capital of Texas" aka Stephenville had a lot to say about that 3 times :vrycnfsd: And then we met up with the 3-peat Jonathon Gray steam roller train in 2010 against Aledo. Our other loss was against Plano back in the day before the UIL split that monopoly power house up. :smoker:

speedbump
07-13-2013, 10:02 AM
that's Latin for Ricebird

Nope - that would be "Agelaius phoeniceus " Red Winged Blackbird.

1971Coogs
07-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Nope - that would be "Agelaius phoeniceus " Red Winged Blackbird.gotta luv it....you've made some good posts on this thread by the way :clap:

GreenMonster
07-13-2013, 04:34 PM
I gotta throw another name into your mix. Weldon Nelms has had a heckuva run the last 15 or so years in 3A with several deep playoff runs and 2 state championships at Wimberley. I know he moved on to 5A and I don't know how that affects his standing in this best coaches thread, but he has had LOTS of success at the 3A level and I certainly expect him to have his fair share of success at Weatherford in 5A before it's all said and done.

Tejastrue
07-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Yes indeed and thanks for that GM. What a great mentor! He will always have a special place in the hearts of the Wimberley faithful and alumni. That will never change. Weatherford has gained a long distance fan here in Wimberley. I suspect there are many others here that will be following the Roo Nation in the coming years. I will add that we were left in good hands with Coach Warren at the helm now. We are very excited as to what the future has in store for Wimberley Texan football.

buckeyebob
07-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Just remember where that 1 Fooyball :) loss came from!

We remember for sure...it was painfull...but, 58-1 is a record we are very proud of...second only to 13 years of no scholastic problems...PS...my understanding is that 7on7 returns to College Station next year (Not A&M but C.S.)

Gone Fishing
07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I gotta throw another name into your mix. Weldon Nelms has had a heckuva run the last 15 or so years in 3A with several deep playoff runs and 2 state championships at Wimberley. I know he moved on to 5A and I don't know how that affects his standing in this best coaches thread, but he has had LOTS of success at the 3A level and I certainly expect him to have his fair share of success at Weatherford in 5A before it's all said and done.

Yes indeed and thanks for that GM. What a great mentor! He will always have a special place in the hearts of the Wimberley faithful and alumni. That will never change. Weatherford has gained a long distance fan here in Wimberley. I suspect there are many others here that will be following the Roo Nation in the coming years. I will add that we were left in good hands with Coach Warren at the helm now. We are very excited as to what the future has in store for Wimberley Texan football.

Coach Nelms is by far one of the best coaches ever in 3A and will be missed badly here. I'm sure many said the same thing when he left Wimberley the first time and the couple schools up north when he left their school too. Lucky for Wimberley ,he landed back here for the last 10 years and helped give the School the reputation that it now has. Coach Nelms is a winner in EVERY area of his program. I am blessed that my kids went through JH and HS when he was here. I will be following Weatherford also, just because!!!

toddg
07-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Coach Nelms is by far one of the best coaches ever in 3A and will be missed badly here. I'm sure many said the same thing when he left Wimberley the first time and the couple schools up north when he left their school too. Lucky for Wimberley ,he landed back here for the last 10 years and helped give the School the reputation that it now has. Coach Nelms is a winner in EVERY area of his program. I am blessed that my kids went through JH and HS when he was here. I will be following Weatherford also, just because!!!

my best friend is in Weatherford isd administration and he says they are thrilled with Coach Nelms and excited about the future..the kids have really bought into his program!!

Gone Fishing
07-14-2013, 08:24 PM
my best friend is in Weatherford isd administration and he says they are thrilled with Coach Nelms and excited about the future..the kids have really bought into his program!!

that does not surprise me at all..... I'm only 3 years younger than him, but I always called him coach Nelms or coach when I addressed him..... I never called him Weldon in all the years... You have a proven winner there, and he will win for ya'll. Makes no deference what class 1A to 5A..........just saying.

YTBulldogs
07-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Coach Nelms, class act, who always had his team prepared.

Eagle1
07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Coach Nelms, class act, who always had his team prepared.
He would have made my list had he not bailed on us and gone 5a.