PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Who Lives in the North Austin/RR Area

Matthew328
07-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Would be interested to hear your take on the facility where the State 7 on 7 is being held...hearing not so rave reviews...

I would love to see Frisco put in a bid to host this...their facility is the best in the state bar none

panfan
07-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Would be interested to hear your take on the facility where the State 7 on 7 is being held...hearing not so rave reviews...

I would love to see Frisco put in a bid to host this...their facility is the best in the state bar none

Is it at the RR "palace"?

regaleagle
07-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I saw a few games there. It's not the greatest...nothing like Frisco. But hey...you go with what you got at the time. It'll house the folks, and the field seemed to be in good condition back then(3 yrs. ago). I went to watch Lake Travis play 2 games there...they won both, naturally. One was against McNeil, the other against that other RR playoff team that was highly ranked in that year, but I can't remember their name right now. If you said it....I'd know it. They had a pretty good qb that was only a junior at the time.

Yoe_09
07-02-2013, 11:47 PM

I believe we may have spoken to the same source. Apparently the fields are not looking all that great...hopefully it is not a complete mess.

I personally thought that Old Settlers Park in Round Rock would have been a good location for this, but I am not sure if they had enough fields in one central location.

Old Tiger
07-02-2013, 11:50 PM
It's probably not the best but the state tournament needs to be centrally located.

Yoe_09
07-02-2013, 11:59 PM
If you go to google.com/maps and type in this address you can see kind of what the setup is going to look like: 3005 County Road 175
Leander, TX 78641

If you happen to get a parking spot in the main parking lot, then you won't have to walk very far. The pressbox for the championship games appears that it may hold about 5 people.

Yoe_09
07-03-2013, 12:01 AM
It's probably not the best but the state tournament needs to be centrally located.

I do agree with you there. I believe it probably needs to stay within Central Texas. Waco would be ideal, but do they have the facilities.

Matthew328
07-03-2013, 07:59 AM
I do agree with you there. I believe it probably needs to stay within Central Texas. Waco would be ideal, but do they have the facilities.

Outside of Baylor I don't believe Waco has a facility capable of hosting the event....I do agree central location is a key component but at what point does having a subpar facility take away from the tournament as a whole?? Will teams continue to want to go to state if they are playing at a dump?? Veterans Park in College Station isn't much better.....The STAAR facility in San Antonio I think may be big enough and they just built a soccer stadium there...only problem is state 7 on 7 is right in the middle of the soccer season...pretty sure next year we'll be at Veterans Park but their parking situation is just as bad and the condition of the fields isn't much better

Matthew328
07-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Another issue is hotels etc....State board got a lot of complaints from schools last year about price gouging and hotel availability in College Station...teams were having to stay in Hearne and Navasota....wonder if the event is getting to be too big for College Station now

marler1972
07-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I say play it in Frisco next year and after that um dont really care.... Never had any issues with hotels in CS stayed at the Hilton and the Comfort suites always got good deals around 100 a night.

D'Highlander
07-03-2013, 09:44 AM
What about Texas State in San Marcos?

Matthew328
07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
What about Texas State in San Marcos?

If you qualify early you won't have issues with hotels in College Station...but anyone who qualifies after June 15 has major problems....

Texas State can't host per NCAA rules

marler1972
07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
If you qualify early you won't have issues with hotels in College Station...but anyone who qualifies after June 15 has major problems....

Texas State can't host per NCAA rules

Guess thats true we always qualify early.

FB-fanatic
07-03-2013, 10:46 PM
We qualified in week two last year. Got on the phone at 1:00pm promptly. Called one of the host hotels with 7v7 rate and free hot breakfast. Oh, the group rate person is not in until Monday, so I call back and reserve 5 rooms at regular rate with plans of converting them to reduced rate on Monday. Phone on Monday - no, can't convert into discount room once reserved at regular rate. O.k., cancel regular rooms - do you have 5-7 discount rooms. No, only 4. O.k., I'll take those. One week later, "we've found another room". Now have 5. One week later, phone call. We've got an error, double booked. No room available on University Drive, but our "sister" hotel in Bryan will honor reduced rate. New hotel. O.k. They say call XX and ask for xx. Phone, expecting a humble person who understands we have been screwed to be very helpful. No, a grumpy manager who has to honor someone else’s discounted rate. Confirm 10, yes now 10, rooms. 5 doubles for players and 5 kings for coaches/parents. Arrive evening after 3 HOT games. Hand out 5 room keys to groups of four boys (20). They disburse. 45 minutes later, after *everyone* has showered, 2 groups come back saying their rooms have one king in each. Talk to manager - SOL. Luckily, 2 newspaper guys checking in hear our dilemma and offer to trade their doubles for our kings. Good, except boys have already showered and semi-trashed the rooms (exaggerating a little). Drag everything out of the rooms, clean up bathrooms, and swap. Wasn't very pleasant.

FB-fanatic
07-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Outside of Baylor I don't believe Waco has a facility capable of hosting the event....I do agree central location is a key component but at what point does having a subpar facility take away from the tournament as a whole?? Will teams continue to want to go to state if they are playing at a dump?? Veterans Park in College Station isn't much better.....The STAAR facility in San Antonio I think may be big enough and they just built a soccer stadium there...only problem is state 7 on 7 is right in the middle of the soccer season...pretty sure next year we'll be at Veterans Park but their parking situation is just as bad and the condition of the fields isn't much better
At the new RGII Stadium in Waco. Start at 5:00am, playing 2 games every 45 min's, ending at 1:00am.

http://s2.postimg.org/dpi9ur3rd/rgii.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
windows screen capture (http://postimage.org/app.php)

Tx Challenge
07-04-2013, 02:08 AM
If you go to google.com/maps and type in this address you can see kind of what the setup is going to look like: 3005 County Road 175
Leander, TX 78641

If you happen to get a parking spot in the main parking lot, then you won't have to walk very far. The pressbox for the championship games appears that it may hold about 5 people.

This is not in Round Rock. Not even close to the palace

LH Panther Mom
07-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Matt, if it's at SW Wmson Co Regl Park, it should be a decent enough facility. I haven't seen the fields up close to know the condition, but have been there for a couple other events and it's nice. I would think that they are comparable to what I saw a few years ago in CS. If you get bored, you could always play disc golf. :D