PDA

View Full Version : Slot T teams

maestro
06-29-2013, 11:23 AM
No one is commenting on the fact that the last two remaining teams of region 4 div 2 last year ran the slot t.

I sure hope that there are ath dir this summer trying to figure out how to stop it.

Seems as though you will have to stop it to advance far this year.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Port Isabel does not run the Slot-T

Navarro does, though. Which means 3 of the 4 teams that made it to the Region 4 Semi-Finals were dedicated running teams.

maestro
06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry, someone told me they did.

Still, SOMEONE learn to stop it.
Haha

Gone Fishing
06-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Haha

DC Dick Smith of Wimberley (now with Nelms at 5A Weatherford ) knows how to stop it

buckeyebob
06-29-2013, 02:30 PM
A sniper that is quick

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Haha

Port Isabel used to run the Slot-T in the early to mid 90s. There are still coaches on the staff from that era that know the Slot-T though. I believe there are 2 coaches on the staff from that era. One of which is a former player who is now coaching.

speedbump
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
El Campo held Bellville to less than 100 yards total offense last year. Gillis might have a clue.

Ernest T Bass
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
PTI stopped running the nasty slot?! That must have been what the Mayans were talking about with their 2012 prediction!
As far stopping it, strategically it's easy to stop. Most DC's know exactly how to do it. The problem is teaching your kids to do it in 3 days, while practicing against your scout team offense who's also only been running it for 3 days. Just like anything else, the less you see it, the more difficult it is to prepare your kids for it.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-29-2013, 02:51 PM
PTI stopped running the nasty slot?! That must have been what the Mayans were talking about with their 2012 prediction!
As far stopping it, strategically it's easy to stop. Most DC's know exactly how to do it. The problem is teaching your kids to do it in 3 days, while practicing against your scout team offense who's also only been running it for 3 days. Just like anything else, the less you see it, the more difficult it is to prepare your kids for it.

PI stopped running the Slot-T when Monty Stumbaugh got hired in the Spring of 2001. PI is an Option team now. But rumor has it one of the people that interviewed for the vacant OC position (and is rumored to be getting the job, it's not official yet) is a Slot-T coach. So PI may be implementing some Slot-T into their offense this coming season. I sure hope so, PI has the backfield this coming season to run it very well.

hollywood
06-29-2013, 04:06 PM
A fast and disciplined defense with a good DL along with a high powered spread offense, can out score a slot T team by the bunches.

bobcat1
06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Celina lost to it once in 2006 but hammered it in 2008.:taunt:

Manso/V8
06-29-2013, 05:55 PM
DC Dick Smith of Wimberley (now with Nelms at 5A Weatherford ) knows how to stop it

No comment.

Manso/V8
06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
El Campo held Bellville to less than 100 yards total offense last year. Gillis might have a clue.

If Gillis holds Bellville to less than a 100 yards this year, then I will agree.

Manso/V8
06-29-2013, 06:11 PM
A fast and disciplined defense with a good DL along with a high powered spread offense, can out score a slot T team by the bunches.

If you have a fast and disciplined defense with a good DL and any style high powered offense, you will likely outscore most teams, no matter what offense they run, by bunches.

The spread is great if you have a good QB and the right kind of athletes..
The spread looks pretty sad if you don't have the QB or the athletes.

The slot t, if executed well, usually allows teams without great size or great athletes to compete with the big dogs, burn some clock, and at least keep it close.

Gone Fishing
06-29-2013, 09:54 PM
No comment.

Not fair Manso. I was not just talking about our game with ya'll!. BV was the better team that night , no question and go back and I have said that. Dick Smith (Gone know with Nelms to Weatherford) knows how to stop the slot-T big time. In 04 he stopped it (regional finals) - in 05 (state champions) he stopped it - in 06 he stopped it (Liberty Hill won state BUT we beat them in regular season and we stopped it) and we have during his time at Wimberley always beat, for the most part ANY team that ran slot-T or just a run offense!!!! Lets see? in 2011 (state championship) we almost got our ass handed to us by Taylor, ( but our safety and LB's saved it for us) Then played Gonzales (running only team) , Sweeny,(running only team) , Devine ( OBVIOUSLY a running ONLY team,) and then Oakhurst that was a running team! And kicked their A. Less than 13 points a game!) Oh then we played Argyle that was a throwing team and won too! Nice adjustment I would assume!! Oh by the way your video is killing me! ....LOL.

Weebe
06-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Gillis has little to do with the defense.

speedbump
06-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Gillis has little to do with the defense.

LOL - Probably doesn't know how to line em up.

Manso/V8
06-30-2013, 12:46 AM

Bellville hadn't played well coming in to that game.
They were intimidated coming in, were overpowered/overwhelmed by the Ricebirds, and lost some key players to injuries during that game.
We appreciate the spanking though, because after that game, the Brahmas started to play better, and most of the injured players were able to return after a few weeks.

El Campo was definitely the better team, but I think we would have given you a better game if we played later in the season.

Manso/V8
06-30-2013, 01:01 AM
Not fair Manso. I was not just talking about our game with ya'll!. BV was the better team that night , no question and go back and I have said that. Dick Smith (Gone know with Nelms to Weatherford) knows how to stop the slot-T big time. In 04 he stopped it (regional finals) - in 05 (state champions) he stopped it - in 06 he stopped it (Liberty Hill won state BUT we beat them in regular season and we stopped it) and we have during his time at Wimberley always beat, for the most part ANY team that ran slot-T or just a run offense!!!! Lets see? in 2011 (state championship) we almost got our ass handed to us by Taylor, ( but our safety and LB's saved it for us) Then played Gonzales (running only team) , Sweeny,(running only team) , Devine ( OBVIOUSLY a running ONLY team,) and then Oakhurst that was a running team! And kicked their A. Less than 13 points a game!) Oh then we played Argyle that was a throwing team and won too! Nice adjustment I would assume!! Oh by the way your video is killing me! ....LOL.

I know WT can defend the slot t, the "no comment" was a friendly joke.

Any good defensive team can defend the slot t if you teach the kids the right reads. Bellville has run the slot t two seasons and I wouldn't say they are masters at it. Bellville was more of a hybrid slot t team this year, passing a fair amount, and even lining up in the shotgun in some situations.

The one coach that sure knows how to teach kids how to stop it is Jimmie Mitchell. Those kids always knew where the ball was going.
Wharton was the only team we played this year that seemed unprepared for the scheme.

If the video is really bothering you, I can take it down!
You want me to bring back the flip cup gal?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Wharton was the only team we played this year that seemed unprepared for the scheme.

Wharton was beaten by a Slot-T team in the playoffs as well. Navarro. Seems as though their game against Bellville didn't prepare them well enough to stop it.

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2013, 06:11 AM
in 06 he stopped it (Liberty Hill won state BUT we beat them in regular season and we stopped it) and we have during his time at Wimberley always beat, for the most part ANY team that ran slot-T.
I wouldn't call allowing us to score 44 points exactly "stopping" it. And I don't know how long he was there, but considering we beat Wimberley both years in the past 10 that we did NOT make the playoffs, and if my memory is what it used to be, the series is pretty close in our slot-t years, I don't know that "for the most part" is the case. ;)

YTBulldogs
06-30-2013, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't call allowing us to score 44 points exactly "stopping" it.
:doh: True that.

bird_fan
06-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Bellville hadn't played well coming in to that game.
They were intimidated coming in, were overpowered/overwhelmed by the Ricebirds, and lost some key players to injuries during that game.
We appreciate the spanking though, because after that game, the Brahmas started to play better, and most of the injured players were able to return after a few weeks.

El Campo was definitely the better team, but I think we would have given you a better game if we played later in the season.
I agree with you on that I as rabbit Ricebird fan admit Last year was just our. Everything just fell in place for us. Also the drop to 3A helped a lot because we had depth we wouldnt have had in 4A IN $A the bird lost a lot of game because we play team twice our size and ran out of gas against team with more depth.
I expect quite a battle next year at the pasture of pain.
El Campo is another primary running team with a deep run though it was basically the winged T , shot gun winged T and some I in the backfeild http://shotgunwingtcom.ipage.com/Murphy/category/home/

Aesculus gilmus
06-30-2013, 09:29 AM
I remember the time we played Liberty Hill, everyone up here was calling what they ran the "Wing T."

Yet they themselves called it and everyone in this thread calls it the "Slot T."

Is there any difference in the Wing T and Slot T or is this just two different names for the same offense?

Gone Fishing
06-30-2013, 10:34 AM
I know WT can defend the slot t, the "no comment" was a friendly joke.

Any good defensive team can defend the slot t if you teach the kids the right reads. Bellville has run the slot t two seasons and I wouldn't say they are masters at it. Bellville was more of a hybrid slot t team this year, passing a fair amount, and even lining up in the shotgun in some situations.

The one coach that sure knows how to teach kids how to stop it is Jimmie Mitchell. Those kids always knew where the ball was going.

If the video is really bothering you, I can take it down!
You want me to bring back the flip cup gal?

LOL No flip cup gal!! Just kidding on the video. As we had mentioned before, "one heck of a play" for all involved.

Bassact
06-30-2013, 10:35 AM
I remember the time we played Liberty Hill, everyone up here was calling what they ran the "Wing T."

Yet they themselves called it and everyone in this thread calls it the "Slot T."

Is there any difference in the Wing T and Slot T or is this just two different names for the same offense?

They are very different.
Slot T the fullback is the primary back. Wing the tailback is the primary back. Slot-T is a lot of mis-direction and motion and very seldon is a back a lead blocker. Wing T full back is primarily a lead blocker.
Slot T follow the guards to the ball.
Wind T follow the Fullback

System doesn't matter - all coaches coach a system they know and believe in and they all work - As long as they have the better team!

Gone Fishing
06-30-2013, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't call allowing us to score 44 points exactly "stopping" it. And I don't know how long he was there, but considering we beat Wimberley both years in the past 10 that we did NOT make the playoffs, and if my memory is what it used to be, the series is pretty close in our slot-t years, I don't know that "for the most part" is the case. ;)

True. Liberty Hill is the master of the slot-T in my opinion. The best to run it maybe ever. The series is pretty close. Two state championships each and 50- 50 W-L. Hope they continue to keep playing each year.

bag-o-chips
06-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Might want to ask the Pleasanton Eagles about this last year! Navarro and the Slot T put 76 points on them and their High Powered Spread.

Ville-D
06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Might want to ask the Pleasanton Eagles about this last year! Navarro and the Slot T put 76 points on them and their High Powered Spread.

Probably a good bit of difference between the Pleasanton spread and the Stephenville spread the Hollywood was talking about. We faced just about every variation of run team last year and did OK... Only problem we had was with Montezuma's Revenge, but I didn't consider them a run team..

maestro
06-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Wharton was beaten by a Slot-T team in the playoffs as well. Navarro. Seems as though their game against Bellville didn't prepare them well enough to stop it.

Maybe whs defensive coordinator is researching and watching film this summer??????

speedbump
06-30-2013, 03:56 PM
If Gillis holds Bellville to less than a 100 yards this year, then I will agree.

If that happens again,I'll guarantee you there will be a lot of red in semi finals games again this year.

Ernest T Bass
06-30-2013, 04:04 PM

The only difference is the wingback. In the wing t, he's a wing, meaning he's just outside of the TE. In the slot t, the TE is flexed out and the wing is inside of the TE(ie: in the "slot"). They are simply formations. Lots of teams run both(Ennis does a damned good job of it). Everything else is just play calling, which can be done in any formation.

Weebe
06-30-2013, 06:42 PM

Surely you are well in tune with the program living in Katy.

speedbump
06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Surely you are well in tune with the program living in Katy.

When was the last time you were at a Ricebird practice?

LHPfactory
07-01-2013, 12:01 AM

Na, the Code Red(One of the best D's ive seen) did a great job in 2005, however, half the LH backfield (Escamilla) was out though.

Now 2006, you are way off on that one, the LH Slot put 44 points on you in Texan stadium. You had 1 special factor that set up the last minute 48-44 victory, Michael Buse, but stop it, hardly.

Celina, the Slot you shut down in 2008 lacked the level of running backs that LH had in the previous years. You would have been avalanched in 2007.

LHPfactory
07-01-2013, 12:16 AM
I didn't see that LHPM beat me to the response on page 2 before I posted above. LH-Wimberley is almost always a good one, it will be in Texan stadium this year.... To give the Texans an early hint, LH will probably run the football till daylight..... :)

I believe our Coaches and Boys will be very focused this season and team discipline will be strong.

Tejastrue
07-01-2013, 01:07 AM

That's funny...by the way..it was 46 points. Surely you remember how close that game really was? For the most part...the Wimberley defense had little control over the final results.

http://www.kvue.com/sports/friday-football-fever/game-of-the-week/Game-of-the-Week-Wimberley-vs-Liberty-Hill-171834631.html

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2013, 05:19 AM
That's funny...by the way..it was 46 points. Surely you remember how close that game really was? For the most part...the Wimberley defense had little control over the final results.

http://www.kvue.com/sports/friday-football-fever/game-of-the-week/Game-of-the-Week-Wimberley-vs-Liberty-Hill-171834631.html
I was talking about 2006, 48-44 final. ;)

D'Highlander
07-01-2013, 06:43 AM

Pssh... how would you know? :redxpoke:

OLE'BULL
07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
No comment.

:clap:

BEAST
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Yes, big difference.

BEAST

Tejastrue
07-01-2013, 11:12 AM
I was talking about 2006, 48-44 final. ;)

Sorry..I tend to get a bit antsy when I see Liberty Hill and Wimberley in the same conversation.:wave:

panfan
07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Sorry..I tend to get a bit antsy when I see Liberty Hill and Wimberley in the same conversation.:wave:

and why is that?

Tejastrue
07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Every year there is always one or two Wimberley games that I absolutely do everything possible to attend. In the recent past it was Sealy and Cuero. Now it is back to Liberty Hill again and throw in Navarro you have two Slot-T teams that are well coached and well disciplined. It is a thing of beauty to watch. Navarro is slowing making a name for themselves. It is usually a play or two here in there that decides the outcome, not to mention they are usually bigtime slobberknocker events.

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Every year there is always one or two Wimberley games that I absolutely do everything possible to attend. In the recent past it was Sealy and Cuero. Now it is back to Liberty Hill again and throw in Navarro you have two Slot-T teams that are well coached and well disciplined. It is a thing of beauty to watch. Navarro is slowing making a name for themselves. It is usually a play or two here in there that decides the outcome, not to mention they are usually bigtime slobberknocker events.

I just wanted to add that our turf is prettier than Wimberley's. :taunt: :stirpot: (I wonder if that will bring wimpy out of hiding.)

Weebe
07-01-2013, 07:53 PM
When was the last time you were at a Ricebird practice?

Don't need to. Friends in high places.

Tejastrue
07-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I just wanted to add that our turf is prettier than Wimberley's. :taunt: :stirpot: (I wonder if that will bring wimpy out of hiding.)

ha ha...I miss Wimbo..where the heck is he?

speedbump
07-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Don't need to. Friends in high places.

Good, i need somebody to fill me in on the QB situation. Any chance Washington gets the job?

Weebe
07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Good, i need somebody to fill me in on the QB situation. Any chance Washington gets the job?

Slim

speedbump
07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Slim

Yea , punts ,kick off returns and DB I guess.