PDA

View Full Version : You know you have a quality coach when....

maestro
06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Your team returns only 3 starters and still can get some state rankings and playoff nod

I'm writing about a heated district rival but one great, super professional coach Bob Gillis of El Campo.

Wonder how many other state ranked teams are so young on experience.

Weebe
06-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Gillis has an amazingly consistent program. Regardless of fluctuations in talent, his teams almost always perform at the same level.

speedbump
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.advosports.com/videos/2013/jun/26/6725/

Ernest T Bass
06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Honestly, that just means that the guys doing the rankings aren't putting much effort into it. No doubt that Gillis is a great coach and a great man(Ive talked with him several times), but the DCTF rankings this year are horrible. In 4a, Lancaster graduated the house and was horrible at every subvarsity level, yet they're a top 5 team? Mesquite Poteet is #15 in the state, yet #3 in district, behind a team that isn't state ranked at all?
Yet again, this is not a knock on Gillis or EC AT ALL, but a knock on DCTF. If you want real HS football coverage, go get the TOC magazine. Stepp alone can report circles around those DCTF slaps!

maestro
06-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Gotta love Gillis' fake football comment....

Haha

Growing up playing summer baseball right up to two a days....it's funny to see people get " worked up and angry " over a sport, 7 on 7, that was originally meant just to get out and have fun playing " fake football"

Heck, we played it in the neighborhoods all of the time...hopefully the adults involved don't ever forget the original intent of 7 on 7

Weebe
06-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Honestly, that just means that the guys doing the rankings aren't putting much effort into it. No doubt that Gillis is a great coach and a great man(Ive talked with him several times), but the DCTF rankings this year are horrible. In 4a, Lancaster graduated the house and was horrible at every subvarsity level, yet they're a top 5 team? Mesquite Poteet is #15 in the state, yet #3 in district, behind a team that isn't state ranked at all?
Yet again, this is not a knock on Gillis or EC AT ALL, but a knock on DCTF. If you want real HS football coverage, go get the TOC magazine. Stepp alone can report circles around those DCTF slaps!

I honestly think El Campo is ranked too low. Sometimes the players don't matter as much as the program and the system.

Weebe
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I honestly think El Campo is ranked too low. Sometimes the players don't matter as much as the program and the system.

El Campo also outscored it's opponents(prior to the semifinal) by a score of 512-177. They only has one district opponent stay within 20 points of them(Wharton).

Who's to say all of those teams starters were better than El Campo's 2nd team?

maestro
06-29-2013, 11:20 AM
I think that our district is fortunate to have El Campo and Gillis in it.

It SHOULD give every district staff reason to get up every am and go to work to try and solve El Campo.

Many, MANY years ago Boling ISD began the first varsity baseball team in that 2a district. And for years they were " district champs" and bragged about their success.

I figured it would not be long before their rival East Bernard would begin a program. Matter of fact, East Bernard did begin a program, funded by their
"Friends of baseball " group.....

Shane Lechler's group comes along and beats Boling in district and goes back to back state champs..
Now, the reason for this long story is simply to say...Bob Gillis and his teams are great for our district...but every staff is upping the games to knock them off...so the quality of play should only get better this season.

speedbump
06-29-2013, 12:12 PM
El Campo also outscored it's opponents(prior to the semifinal) by a score of 512-177. They only has one district opponent stay within 20 points of them(Wharton).
Who's to say all of those teams starters were better than El Campo's 2nd team?

You can add to that the fact that they have been to the SC game 2 of their last 4 years in 3a ,hadn't lost to a 3a team since 2001 or 2 and the JV and freshman teams were a combined 18-2 (both lost to 4a Foster)

If the AP yahoos stay true to form,I'd imagine EC will be somewhere around #53 with only 3 returning starters. LOL

bird_fan
06-29-2013, 01:41 PM
I think most in EC love Coach Gillis he has been awesome for EC. I hope and pray before he leaves EC he get a State Championship there

Weebe
06-29-2013, 07:05 PM
I think that our district is fortunate to have El Campo and Gillis in it.

It SHOULD give every district staff reason to get up every am and go to work to try and solve El Campo.

Many, MANY years ago Boling ISD began the first varsity baseball team in that 2a district. And for years they were " district champs" and bragged about their success.

I figured it would not be long before their rival East Bernard would begin a program. Matter of fact, East Bernard did begin a program, funded by their
"Friends of baseball " group.....

Shane Lechler's group comes along and beats Boling in district and goes back to back state champs..
Now, the reason for this long story is simply to say...Bob Gillis and his teams are great for our district...but every staff is upping the games to knock them off...so the quality of play should only get better this season.

Boling went to the state finals in '93 and EB won it in '94 and '95. El Campo went to the semifinals in '93.

Some very good baseball in Wharton County back then.

Scoop27
06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
And that was before Louise had a baseball program