PDA

View Full Version : You get 1 pick

BEAST
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
I was asked this question earlier. I thought you guys would have fun with it. If you had to pick 1 college Qb of all time to win 1 college game who would it be. Assume all other postions are equal, who would you pick to win one game?

BEAST

Cam
06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I was asked this question earlier. I thought you guys would have fun with it. If you had to pick 1 college Qb of all time to win 1 college game who would it be. Assume all other postions are equal, who would you pick to win one game?

BEAST

Doug Flutie!.....

Rabid Cougar
06-26-2013, 04:03 PM

BEAST

Perplexing question.... off the top of the head....on winning percentage alone?????? I'd have to go with either Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, or Kellen Moore. Maybe even AJ McCarron.

Who I knew was going to give me chance to win no matter what???? Joe Montana

Rabid Cougar
06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Doug Flutie!.....

AND Doug Flutie!

BEAST
06-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Yea, thats the deal. Throw stats. Who is the Qb you would pick for 1 game. In other words, who was most clutch.

BEAST

Cam
06-26-2013, 04:17 PM
.....I still say Doug Flutie dammit!......:foul:

Old Tiger
06-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Vince

Bullaholic
06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Joe Montana.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana

toddg
06-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Roger Staubach!!

hollywood
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Well gosh Beast, that is not an easy pick. If you say every other position is equal... and since we are all day dreaming here... injury proneness (if that's a word) shouldn't be a factor either.

Hate to say it but Johnny Football!!! He's not the best of all time, but I can't bet against him. Kid is crazy good.

hollywood
06-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Vince

:eek:

Emerson1
06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
My unbiased pick goes to the guy that had the single greatest performance in the college football NC ever, if not all sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DdGhv2N9k

Roughneck93
06-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Vince

I would take Vince too.

Tommie Frazier would be high on my list as well.

A lot of good QBs listed already.

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Vince is a great pick and if I wasn't biased, is say Vince too... But Johnny is my pick LOL

defense51
06-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Staubach, Elway, and Montana are my top three. Out of those I'd probably take Joe Montana, he had that ability to elevate his game in any situation.

Old Tiger
06-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Staubach, Elway, and Montana are my top three. Out of those I'd probably take Joe Montana, he had that ability to elevate his game in any situation.

Sounds like a lot of yall are talking about NFL?

Staubach's navy team lost to Texas

bobcat1
06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
College QB.... Tim Tebow

defense51
06-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a lot of yall are talking about NFL?

Staubach's navy team lost to Texas
The three I listed were pretty good college QB's, Staubach did win the Heisman in 1963.

Old Tiger
06-26-2013, 07:11 PM
The three I listed were pretty good college QB's, Staubach did win the Heisman in 1963.

But how many big games did they win in college? Montana was on some uber talented ND teams.

hollywood
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
But how many big games did they win in college? Montana was on some uber talented ND teams.

Agree. Post something else so I don't have to scroll up.

hollywood
06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
My unbiased pick goes to the guy that had the single greatest performance in the college football NC ever, if not all sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DdGhv2N9k

One of my all time great game watching exeriences... EVER!!! Agave showed the game on the big screen. There were 50+ Texas fans and a hand full of either non UT fans or USC fans rooting against. Topped off with a post game Rio Grande Castillo breakfest special. Good stuff.

Cam
06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
One of my all time great game watching exeriences... EVER!!! Agave showed the game on the big screen. There were 50+ Texas fans and a hand full of either non UT fans or USC fans rooting against. Topped off with a post game Rio Grande Castillo breakfest special. Good stuff.

Agree...a great game to watch....and my whole family was in the stands (thanks to my sister's kid who was on that UT team)....I was the only one who couldn't make the trip! DAng!!

Bull Butter
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
That's easy. Richard Ritchie. Never lost a game as a college starting QB. 39 wins 0 losses

defense51
06-26-2013, 11:12 PM

It's really hard to concentrate while I'm looking at your signature! :vrycnfsd: I'll get back to you tomorrow after I take my ADD meds.

Emerson1
06-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Elway had 0 bowl losses.

Because he led his teams to 0 bowl games.

D'Highlander
06-27-2013, 06:58 AM
RGIII Baby!!!

Rabid Cougar
06-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Well gosh Beast, that is not an easy pick. If you say every other position is equal... and since we are all day dreaming here... injury proneness (if that's a word) shouldn't be a factor either.

Hate to say it but Johnny Football!!! He's not the best of all time, but I can't bet against him. Kid is crazy good.

IF he goes two for two he will be the best of all time.

hollywood
06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
IF he goes two for two he will be the best of all time.

:thumbsup::ack!:

Tejastrue
06-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Joe Namath.

Bullaholic
06-27-2013, 09:59 AM

The original question asks which college QB would you pick to win (1) (and I assume,big game) ---not which QB had the best college resume...On that basis, Montana would be a hard choice to beat.

Old Tiger
06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
The original question asks which college QB would you pick to win (1) (and I assume,big game) ---not which QB had the best college resume...On that basis, Montana would be a hard choice to beat.How were his performances in big games in college?

Bullaholic
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
How were his performances in big games in college?

See the link I posted with my original post.

RoyceTTU
06-27-2013, 10:55 AM
You can throw Charlie Ward into this mix. I think the guy won a heismen and won maybe 2 NC?

Rabid Cougar
06-27-2013, 10:59 AM

All you have to know is the 1979 Cotton Bowl.

defense51
06-27-2013, 11:11 AM

When the 1977 season began, Montana was the third quarterback listed on the team's depth chart, behind Rusty Lischand Gary Forystek. Notre Dame won their season opener and then lost to Mississippi by a score of 20–13. Montana did not appear in either of those games. In their third game of the season, Notre Dame played Purdue. Lisch started and was then replaced by Forystek. In one play, Forystek suffered a broken vertebra, a broken clavicle, and a severe concussion; it was the last play of Forystek's sports career. Devine inserted Lisch back into the game before Montana finally had the opportunity to play. Montana entered with approximately 11 minutes remaining and Purdue leading 24-14; he threw for 154 yards and one touchdown, and Notre Dame won the game 31-24. After the game, Devine made Montana the first quarterback on the depth chart and the team won their remaining nine games. In their final game of the season, Notre Dame defeated top-ranked Texas by a score of 38–10 in the Cotton Bowl. Notre Dame's record of eleven wins and one loss earned them the NCAA national title, the only title the school won while Devine was head coach.

The following year, Montana helped Notre Dame to a come-from-behind win against the Pitt Panthers. He almost pulled off a second one against USC, Notre Dame's primary riival. Trailing 24–6 in the second half, Montana led a fourth-quarter rally to put Notre Dame ahead, 25–24 with 45 seconds remaining, only to see the Trojans win, 27–25, on a last-second field goal.On January 1, 1979, Notre Dame returned to the Cotton Bowl, this time against Houston. Montana's performance in that game is one of the most celebrated of his entire football career; the circumstances of the game have led to it being referred to as the "Chicken Soup Game". Montana fell ill during the game, received warmed intravenous fluids during halftime, during which he also drank chicken soup, and went back into the game in the fourth quarter. Notre Dame ran their last offensive play with two seconds remaining on the game clock. The Irish scored a touchdown and won the game 35 to 34. As a result of the game, Notre Dame went on to produce a promotional film called Seven and a Half Minutes to Destiny. Coach Devine later referred to the piece as a "Joe Montana film."

BEAST
06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Its what they did in college. NFL does not matter. For me its Either VY his last season at UT, Tebow at UF, of Johnny Football.

BEAST

Tricky
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Its what they did in college. NFL does not matter. For me its Either VY his last season at UT, Tebow at UF, of Johnny Football.

BEAST

No question. Tebow. VY can't hold his jock. If he didn't play at texas then most of you would not be loving all over him.

D'Highlander
06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
No question. Tebow. VY can't hold his jock. If he didn't play at texas then most of you would not be loving all over him.

Welcome Tricky...

Tebow had one huge problem... he is a FB or TE, not a QB

Tricky
06-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks. Nice forum. Read for a while, but just signed up to post.

Well, he won the Heisman as a QB.

D'Highlander
06-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Agreed, but IMO, he didnt win it for his passing ability.

BEAST
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM

He won it because of his winning ability. That is the point to this thread. You have one game to win, not one game to have good stats.

BEAST

BEAST
06-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Thats why I specified VY in his last season at UT.

BEAST

bigwood33
06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Roger Staubach!!
Roger the Dodger, the original "Johnny Football". Took lesser talent and won at an extremely high level.

mwrams
06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Richard Richie...Mineral Wells HS
Texas A&I...39-0 never lost a game in college
We went to school together.

bobcat1
06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Welcome Tricky...

Tebow had one huge problem... he is a FB or TE, not a QB

He won it because of his winning ability. That is the point to this thread. You have one game to win, not one game to have good stats.

BEAST

Zactly Beast and Tricky. If I want to win one game it's Tebow. If it all hinged on passing any of the Tech QB's could have fit. But they weren't always winners. I liked Andy Dalton too in College as well as RG III

Old Tiger
06-27-2013, 07:06 PM

You mean the guy who won, as a starter, just as many MNC as Vince?

Tebow 35-6 as a starter
Vince 30-2 as a starter

You mean the guy who lost to Alabama his senior year in the SEC championship?

hollywood
06-27-2013, 09:40 PM
IMO, many great QB's have been mentioned. If you think about it, all made their respective teams better. But to analyze it a little further, many variables were present. OL, WR's, RB's that aloud the QB to be successful. And let's not forget the defenses of those teams who positioned the QB and offense the opportunities to win. With those variables, you still have to overcome great amounts of adversity to win! That's why I'm sticking with Johnny Manziel. He's got that "IT" factor to pull off some of the most amazing athletic plays I've ever seen. He's got strength, speed, a great arm and makes the players around him that much better. At the level of competition to do what he did under the circumstances, winner. He's a winner.

Old Tiger
06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
IMO, many great QB's have been mentioned. If you think about it, all made their respective teams better. But to analyze it a little further, many variables were present. OL, WR's, RB's that aloud the QB to be successful. And let's not forget the defenses of those teams who positioned the QB and offense the opportunities to win. With those variables, you still have to overcome great amounts of adversity to win! That's why I'm sticking with Johnny Manziel. He's got that "IT" factor to pull off some of the most amazing athletic plays I've ever seen. He's got strength, speed, a great arm and makes the players around him that much better. At the level of competition to do what he did under the circumstances, winner. He's a winner.

I honestly think Vince had the least amount of weapons around him of any QB listed.

BEAST
06-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I honestly think Vince had the least amount of weapons around him of any QB listed.

Dude you make your points invalid with statements like this.

BEAST

D'Highlander
06-28-2013, 08:32 AM

I would debate that RGIII had less but she convinced me... I completely forgot what I was going to say

Old Tiger
06-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I would debate that RGIII had less but she convinced me... I completely forgot what I was going to say

How many of the receivers that started for Texas Vince senior year are in the league? How many were drafted?

RGIII had some good receivers around him.

D'Highlander
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM
How many of the receivers that started for Texas Vince senior year are in the league? How many were drafted?

I guess I look at it as RGIII made his WR's better because he was a better passer than VY... IMO

Old Tiger
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I guess I look at it as RGIII made his WR's better because he was a better passer than VY... IMO

Vince made guys like billy Pittman better and guys.

Rg3s wr are good because they have nfl talent. Look at the starting 4 receivers from his senior year.

Tejastrue
06-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Vince made Vince better...

ogg
06-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Richard Richie...Mineral Wells HS
Texas A&I...39-0 never lost a game in college
We went to school together.

I went to school with Richie also, but at Texas A&I Kingsville. Quite a guy! Don Hardeman was his running back.

ogg
06-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Vince

I have to agree, 4th and 5.

Tricky
06-29-2013, 08:19 AM
I get it, Old Tiger has a crush on Vince.

I would take every other QB in a spelling contest though.

Tricky
06-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Tebow 2 MNC and a Heisman. To compare records is not fair...the SEC is and was clearly a tougher conference. I will just take the MNCs.

Maybe if Vincent was better he would have contributed like Tebow did as a freshman to help his team win the MNC.

Plus Tebow scored higher than a 6...lol.

Tricky
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM

And a MUCH better coach.

Old Tiger
06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Tebow 2 MNC and a Heisman. To compare records is not fair...the SEC is and was clearly a tougher conference. I will just take the MNCs.

Maybe if Vincent was better he would have contributed like Tebow did as a freshman to help his team win the MNC.

Plus Tebow scored higher than a 6...lol.lol...you're just trolling now.

Vince was the #1 HS recruit coming out of HS and Mack and co redshirt.

Vince first full year as a starter he led the Longhorns to the Rose Bowl win against Michigan. Hindsight 20/20 Vince probably should of stayed for his senior year. Horns would of been back to back MNC had that happen because the 2006 longhorn team was inanely talented.

Emerson1
06-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Nvm.

Tricky
06-29-2013, 09:35 PM
But remember....Vincent had no talent around him.

Bottom line what DID happen was Tebow won 2 MNC and a Heisman. You can speculate about what might have happened all day long. I can do that also....had Vincent stayed for his senior year he might have scored double digits on the Wonderlic. LOL.

Ville-D
06-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Give me Tyler Jones...

bobcat1
06-29-2013, 10:40 PM
But remember....Vincent had no talent around him.

Bottom line what DID happen was Tebow won 2 MNC and a Heisman. You can speculate about what might have happened all day long. I can do that also....had Vincent stayed for his senior year he might have scored double digits on the Wonderlic. LOL.

He might have been put on academic suspension too. :taunt:

regaleagle
06-30-2013, 01:54 AM
My vote goes to Studley Dorite of the 1966 Canadian Beaverskins, lol.