PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Tour de France Updates

Phil C
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
It is early but it starts this coming Saturday (6-29-13) and ends on Sumday on 7-21-13 as they ride into Paris. It should be a good one and the Tour has worked to have a clean race. The race starts on the island or Corsina and will basically go in a counter clockwise movement and it is going to be more brutal which suites Christopher Froome's style. He did get a blow because last year's winner Bradley Wiggins was expected to help him but an injury has put Wiggins out of the race this year. Still he will be the favorite. It should be another great tour with lots of scenery and history to be discussed. Don't miss it.
Vive Le Tour!

Ernest T Bass
06-25-2013, 11:37 AM
They still have that?

Ville-D
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
They still have that?

You are thinking of the Tour De Lance. It was canceled on Oprah a few months ago.

Phil C
06-25-2013, 01:53 PM
It will be on NBCSP (NBC Sports Network). It starts live early in the morning but will be repeated throughout the day. You can consult your local tv guide for the times and watch when it is convenient for you.

hollywood
06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
If I didn't cycle, I wouldn't give a rats hind quarter for it. But since I do, it's somewhat interesting. Some of the best endurance athletes in the world.

Tejastrue
06-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes sir..it takes a special breed to take on such a challenge. I think you just may need to be a little crazy too...isn't that right Hollywood?

hollywood
06-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes sir..it takes a special breed to take on such a challenge. I think you just may need to be a little crazy too...isn't that right Hollywood?

Absolutely!

Crazy Definition:
cra·zy/ˈkreɪzi/ Show Spelled [krey-zee] Show IPA adjective, cra·zi·er, cra·zi·est, noun, plural cra·zies.
adjective
1. mentally deranged; demented; insane.
2. senseless; impractical; totally unsound: a crazy scheme.
3. Informal. intensely enthusiastic; passionately excited: crazy about baseball.
4. Informal. very enamored or infatuated (usually followed by about ): He was crazy about her.
5. Informal. intensely anxious or eager; impatient: I'm crazy to try those new skis.

:crazy:

:wave:

ogg
06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
It will be on NBCSP (NBC Sports Network). It starts live early in the morning but will be repeated throughout the day. You can consult your local tv guide for the times and watch when it is convenient for you.

Phil, Are you a cycler yourself? If so do you participate in Conquer the Coast?

Bull Butter
06-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Predicted results:
1. Lance Armstrong
2. Barry Bonds
3. Sammy Sosa
4. Lyle Alzado
5. Lasse Viren
6. The Michelin Man
7. Hans
8. Franz
9. Rafael Palmeiro
10. "Swede" from Heartbreak Ridge

Phil C
06-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Phil, Are you a cycler yourself? If so do you participate in Conquer the Coast?

I used to cycle but as I have got old I'm more into the treadmill and jogging type of things.

Phil C
06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Predicted results:
1. Lance Armstrong
2. Barry Bonds
3. Sammy Sosa
4. Lyle Alzado
5. Lasse Viren
6. The Michelin Man
7. Hans
8. Franz
9. Rafael Palmeiro
10. "Swede" from Heartbreak Ridge

I understand Bull's points and I agree. The TDF has been rocked with scandals and cheating (drugs, illegal blood transfussions, etc) and the athletes were in the wrong. It is a shame but also the TDF (and this includes the organizers) are partly to blame even though I am sure they won't admit it. Over 20 years ago American Greg Lamond informed them some cheating was going on but it was ignored by the TDF because as Al Traugwig pointed out there was pleanty of money and glory to go around so the attitude was "wink - wink" and it was ignored until an American started to dominate and then the TDF got rightous and started to point fingers. Not surprisenly it has been established that everyone was probably cheating from the early 90s. Hopefully it is cleaned up now and there will be no more scandals even though a few years from now I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that current riders cheated. I hope not. Until then I give the TDF benefit of the doubt but contrary opinions have a strong point I admit. :(

Phil C
06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
It has started.

zebrablue2
06-29-2013, 10:38 AM
It has started.

Good, football is nearly here!!!

Phil C
06-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Good, football is nearly here!!!

Indeed yes as it helps us get through that difficult month of July and then football.

Stage 1 today started out as expected. There was a breakaway which got pulled back in as expected and the sprinters were expected to have their race but chaotic as near the end crashes and mechanical problems along with a team bus caught under a banner. This took out all the favorites leaving one main sprinter Marcel Kittel who took advantage to win the stage. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Phil C
06-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Stage 2 will have more climbs and most of the sprinters I'm sure will stay behind and save energy for stages suited for them. My guess is that the main contenders will stay in the peloton and just try to keep things status quo. A breakaway might succeed. We will see.

I do want to point out that we are started a new generation of Tour Riders and they seem determined to keep it a drug free race. There are 22 teams with 198 riders and 57 of them are in the Tour for the first time with many more riding in their 3rd TDF are less so things are encouraging. Vive Le Tour!

Phil C
06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Today was an exciting finish as Radio Shack's Jan Bakelants won the stage and got the yellow jersey by one second. He was part of a six man breakaway and five got swallowed up but he hung on to win by one second as the peloton was rapidly closing in on him. Excitement indeed. Still 3 more weeks to go.

Phil C
07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
It should be an exciting end today as a breakaway has just under 2 minute advantage ahead of the peloton. There are about 25 miles left. I am sure they will be caught. They had their day yesterday and I don't think the peloton is going to let them have another. Excitement indeed!

Isn't this a great way to get by the difficult month of July before football starts?

Phil C
07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
There are now only about 25 miles left. The breakaway is only 1 min ahead and will no doubt be caught by the peloton. Radio Shack team is out in front of the peloton determined to protect the yellow jersey and keep it another day. I am sure more attacks will come but don't think it will succeed. I expect status quo today.

Phil C
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
About 5 miles to go. There are still some escapees that are ahead of the peloton but I think they will easily be caught. It could be a sprinters race as the main contenders are satisfied with the status quo.

Bullaholic
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Theme for the Tour de France= "Last Cheater's Waltz"...:D

Phil C
07-01-2013, 09:34 AM
About 2 miles left and the escapees have been caught by the peloton as we expected. Hang onto your hats for an exciting finish!

Phil C
07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Simon Gerrans wins the stage and just beats Peter Sagin who is second for the second day in a row. An exciting finish for stage 3 that overall went as expected.

Phil C
07-01-2013, 09:48 AM
As expected the peloton completed the race together and Jan Bakelants retains the yellow jersey for another day. Tomorrow is a team time trail race that will be about 15 miles and each team gets the time for their 5th place riders. I personally don't like team or time trials but they are part of the race. The Tour now continues on the mainland thank goodness.

Phil C
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
A big bummer is that American sprinter Tyler Farrar wasn't chosen by his team to race in the Tour this year. He is a great sprinter and deserves it but team politics decided. Hopefully he can get on a team and participate next year. He always gave Mark Cavendish a run for his money.

Phil C
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
I like the Tour de France.

Phil C
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
The fifth stage to Merseille is on today and it should be a sprinters' race. There is a group of escapees just over 9 minutes ahead of the peloton but I expect them to be caught. This is the 100th TDF and it is a good one.

Phil C
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
The escapees are about 8 minutes ahead of the peloton. One of them who is considered the best rider is from Japan. Will they hold on and bring glory for Japan by having a Japanese win a stage? I don't think so but we will see.

Phil C
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Sorry to be late. The stage is over and as we expected the escapees were caught and it ended in a group spring and Mark Cavendish won. Mr. Gerrans still retains the yellow jersey. Should be more of the same tomorrow.

Mark Cavendish was somewhat ill the first few days but has now recovered. The great American sprinter Tyler Farrar was not chosen to race by his team which may have cost them some stage wins early in the race and maybe a yellow jersey for a day. What a hugh silly error that was along with a lost opportunity.

Phil C
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
About 12 miles left in today's stage and it is going as we expected. There was a one man breakaway but he was soon caught up. Mark Cavendish crashed but he is ok and will probably contend for a win. It is a sprinters' day as we expected and we will see who wins the stage. I think the overall leaders will stay the same and they are satisfied with the status quo. We have lost 7 riders to injuries and have 191 left.

Phil C
07-04-2013, 12:40 PM
It was a sprinters' race as expected and the top four were Andre Greipel, Peter Sagan, Marcel Kittel and Mark Cavendish. Cavendish had to work his way back into the race and I think it took too much energy out of him. Still he probably could have got third place but when he saw he couldn't win he held back his kick and settled for fourth.

Daryl Impey is now in the yellow jersey and this is great news for his country South Africa who needed some good news. It is the first time a rider from South Africa has worn the yellow jersey. Well done Daryl.

A breakaway may work tomorrow but I think it will still be a day for the sprinters who will probably only have 3 more chances for stage wins after tomorrow.

Stage 8 on Saturday goes to the mountains.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Stage 7 is underway. There were some escapees but it looks like they will be caught. But 3 sprinter stage winners have been dropped by the peloton after the only brutal climb of the day. They were expected to survive and this be a sprinters' race again. This may be Peter Sagan's chance to get that ellusive stage win today after coming in second several times so far. We will see.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
The stage will be over soon but there is still some racing left . The peloton is split with one part 2 minutes ahead of the second one and I think it will easily beat the second one. But the first peloton is 45 seconds behind a breakaway which includes Bakelants. I think it will catch them if they want but we will see.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 09:25 AM
About 30 miles in the race and the breakaways are one minute ahead. If the main peloton behind them wants to there is pleanty of time and distance to catch them. If they were 12 minutes ahead it would be adios. But one minute means anything can happen.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 09:43 AM
About 20 miles to go and the breakaways are still ahead but the peloton is in easy stricking distance. The second peloton has slowed down and the riders have decided to give up catching the first peloton and save their energy for another day. Not a big surprise and probably a wise move. The peloton is probably going to catch the escapees and maybe Peter Sagan will get that ellusive stage win.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 09:52 AM
About 15 miles to go and the breakaways are ahead by 39 seconds. I still expect them to be caught but we will see. The current overall leader is with the peloton and if they catch the escapees he will retain it another day.

Excitement indeed. That is what is great about the TDF. No two years are ever the same.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Less than ten miles left and the peloton is still 40 seconds behind the escapees. Pleanty of time and distance to catch them.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Five miles left and the escapees are almost caught as they are only 17 seconds ahead now. Impey is with this peloton and will probably retain the yellow jersey another day. The second peloton is almost 12 minutes behind and are in no hurry. I will report results when the race is over.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 10:21 AM
The escapees were easily caught at the one miles mark as we thought would happen and in a sprint for the finish Peter Sagan finally gets that ellusive first stage win as we also expected. An exciting race even though no final surprises. Daryl Impey retains the yellow jersey for another day. Tomorrow on to the mountains where it gets brutal. For now South Africa can still celebrate.

The Tour de France is 1/3 over and it has been exciting with more to come. It ends on Sunday, July 21, 2013. Don't forget the next two Mondays are rest days.

Phil C
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Tomorrow (Saturday) the TDF will be shown live at 7 A.M. on NBC instead of NBCSN where it is usually shown. It is the first mountain stage and soon the overall will be making their moves. These include the favorite Christopher Froome, Alberto Contador, Frank Schlech, Cadel Evans and others. The stage has two brutal climbs but that is at in the later part of the race. There could be a breakaway and if they aren't real contenders the peloton will probably let them go. Since the brutal climbs are at the end I think the sprinters will be able to make it tomorrow and not be eliminated. I think that the main contenders will be satisfied with the status quo and stay with the peloton. There are still much racing left and they will most likely want to save their energy in this Stage 8. We will see.

Phil C
07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Tomorrow (Saturday) the TDF will be shown live at 7 A.M. on NBC instead of NBCSN where it is usually shown. It is the first mountain stage and soon the overall will be making their moves. These include the favorite Christopher Froome, Alberto Contador, Frank Schlech, Cadel Evans and others. The stage has two brutal climbs but that is at in the later part of the race. There could be a breakaway and if they aren't real contenders the peloton will probably let them go. Since the brutal climbs are at the end I think the sprinters will be able to make it tomorrow and not be eliminated. I think that the main contenders will be satisfied with the status quo and stay with the peloton. There are still much racing left and they will most likely want to save their energy in this Stage 8. We will see.

Just goes to show how much I know as the overall favorite really destroyed this race and the competition. Christopher Froome won the stage and took over the TDF yellow jersey and the race has probably been decided. Still some thrills and interest left but he is over 2 minutes ahead of his main competitors except for Alberto Contador who is now 1min51sec behind. It is his to lose and unless something happens like a crash or something else he should win it. Tomorrow is another mountain stage but after this day's disasterous prediction I will refrain for a while. Monday is rest day.

Phil C
07-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Those that watched Stage 8 have no doubt seen a new star born on the Tour De France in first year rider Nairo Quintana of Columbia on the Movistar team. He is mainly here this year to serve current third place rider Alejander Val Verde but today he proved that he could be a force in the future. Of course to win the TDF takes cycling skills and hard work along with training and luck (being able to avoid crashes, illnesses, etc.). He attacked and by himself beat the peloton to the top of the highest peak in the TDF this year and led the race until about the 3 mile mark when Chris Froome went great guns. He has the mountain climbing skills but still needs to work on his descent where he loses time on wide turns. He also needs to know when it is time to work with others. He had an opportunity after that brutal time to work with another rider and had he done so he might have saved enough energy to win the stage but maybe not. However it was a lost chance. But his faults can be corrected easily by good training and experience. The main thing he has the mountain climbing ability. No doubt in the next few years he should have his own good team supporting him and he way be a TDF winner. Youth is on his side. Right now he is in 8th place and only 2minutes 2 seconds behind the leader and is wearing the white jersey as best young rider. He won't win this year but the future could be bright.

Phil C
07-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Stage 9 is going to be more brutal than Stage 8 even though 8 had the highest peak in this year's tour. But there were only two brutal climbs today compared to 4 tomorrow and it will be a tough one. It returns to NBCSP now. Monday will be a rest day and well deserved and then we will probably have the sprinters take over the show for a few stages except maybe Wednesday which is a 15 mile individual stage race.

Phil C
07-07-2013, 12:17 AM
In honor of Daryl Impey being the first South African to wear the yellow jersey his team celebrated with this song. It was played on TV. His name means body of armed men. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNAxa-qNkvI

Phil C
07-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Well Stage 9 went the way I thought Stage 8 would go in that the main overall contenders were satisfied with the status quo and there were no changes in the overall contenders. Daniel Martin won the stage as the group he was in finished 44 seconds ahead of the peloton which didn't worry about catching them since none of them were a threat in the overall competition. Rest Day tomorrow.

Phil C
07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
One thing stage 9 showed is that Chris Froome's team Sky is great but still can fail. They worked hard yesterday but could not support Froome who was mercilessly attacked today. He was able to hold on but still had to extend much energy to keep things status quo. Anyone that thought the race was over was premature and that includes myself and several experts. Froome is still the favorite but the other teams and riders have 2 more weeks to work on him and Sky as there are more brutal mountain stages. For them to have a chance they need to attack often and quickly. Can he hold on? I think so but it won't be as easy as most thought. We will see.

Phil C
07-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Stage 10 today was an exciting sprinters race as expected. There was a breakaway but the peloton kept them close and had no trouble catching them at the end. In an exciting sprint Marcel Kittel won another stage followed by Andre Griepel, Mark Cavendish and Peter Sagan. No major changes overall. Tomorrow we have a flag 20 mile individual time trial race and this will be followed by 2 or 3 more spring races most likely. Great excitement and entertainment. Vive le Tour.

Phil C
07-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Stage 11 today was a flat race individual time trial. The top three winners were Tony Martin, Christopher Froome and Ge Gendt Thomas.

Christopher Froome did all the good with the overall contenders and increased his lead over the other main contenders that includes Aljander Val Verde who is now 3'25" behind and Alberto Contador who is 3'57" behind. I am tempted to say the overall race is over but there are still some brutal mountains left and anything could happen. The riders have some big work to do before they can catch Froome who has the advantage now of maintaining the status quo.

The next few days should be sprinters' days as the Tour is now just past the halfway mark of being finished. It has been a good one and more great action to come. Vive le Tour.

Phil C
07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Stage 12 was a sprinters day as expected. There was a breakaway but of course it failed. The top three finishers were Marcel Kittel, Mark Cavendish and Peter Sagan in a thrilling spring at the end. No change in overall classifications. Most likely more of the same tomorrow.

Phil C
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Stage 13 is over and it was a sprinters' race today as expected with the top three being Mark Cavendish, Peter Sagan and Blake Mullema. Even though today's event put Mullema in second place overall with 2'28" behind the overall lead Christopher Froome he is not considered a title threat and they let him go. The one who really gained time overall was Alberto Contador who gain 1'10" on Froome. He is now in stricking distance of Froome being 2'45" behind. The second place rider was Alejandre Val Verde but he is now over 9min. behind after this disastrous day for him and is all but out of the race and is out of the top 10. It would be best for the team to now rally behind Nairo Quintana who is 5'18" behind and even though it is slim it is still possible for him to be a threat.

Phil C
07-13-2013, 09:17 AM
The unexpected breakup of the peloton on stage 12 was caused by crosswinds as some were taken by surprise and others took the opportunity. Today's Stage 14 has some small climbs and may be enough to cause a breakaway to succeed and they are trying. Realistically this is the sprinters' last chance for glory until the final ride to Paris.

Phil C
07-13-2013, 12:12 PM
This was a great race today regarding Stage 14. The breakaway work as none of the riders were a real threat to the contenders. At the the top three were Matteo Trenkin, Michael Albasini and Future American Star Andrew Talansky from Florida. In the last Frenchman Julien Simon made a great effort to break from the breakaway and it looked like he might be able to pull it off which would have been great for the French who haven't had a stage winner in the 100th TDF. No doubt the last few miles the French were screaming at their tv sets but alas! He was caught in the last mile setting up a great sprint. I hope the French can get one in a successful breakaway tomorrow and win since it is Bastille Day in France.

Tomorrow it will be a tough mountain stage with probably no chance for the sprinters until the final ride to Paris now. The stage 15 is innocent enough most of the way but it has a brutal mountain climb at the end. Monday will be rest day then more brutal mountain climbs on Tuesday and Thursday through Saturday. Even the 20 mile individual time trial will have some tough climbs. So look for more great entertainment and expect the unexpected which has been the rule this year.

The Tour is now 2/3 over but still plenty of excitement and uncertainty left. Vive le Tour.

Phil C
07-13-2013, 11:08 PM
One of the riders David Millar tweeted the spectators about road safety and I will give them to you. I have been pointing most of them for years because the race is dangerous enough without extra danger. The crowds and cheering are appreciated but safety is important.
Please stay off the road. It is for the riders.
Please see all pets, children, chairs, etc. are off of and kept off of the roads. Please do not throw items on the road or wave flags and run along or touch the riders.
Remember cameras and iphones are not reliable in telling distance. Stay off the road when taking pictures and use long shots rather than close up.
The riders appreciate the cheering and encouragement you give them when done in the right way. Someday many of these riders will be joining you watching the TDF.

Phil C
07-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Stage 15 will be the longest distance stage in the race at about 150 miles long and even though flat most of the way it does end in a brutal climb. It should be a good one.
SPECTATORS - PLEASE STAY OFF THE ROAD!

Phil C
07-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Stage 15 was a big day for Chris Froome as he won the stage. Nairo Quintana got second and this young man gets to wear the white jersey. He is no doubt a future star needing just a little more experience and training. He led the stage for a while and maybe could have won it if he hadn't started his attack too early but experience and practice will correct his few faults. Froome now has over 4 minutes on his nearest competitors as that is a big advantage. Tomorrow is rest day and then a mountain stage on Tuesday. We are in the last week of this great events and more action is coming. Vive Le Tour!

Phil C
07-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Stage 16 had no major surprises. The top five contenders remained in the peloton and let the breakaway go since none of them were threats and Rui Costa won the Stage. Tomorrow is an individual time trial and is a brutal 20 mile ride and look for Chris Froome to add more time to his lead. He may need it because after tomorrow there will be three brutal stages in the Alps and he will be attacked. Suspense indeed.

Phil C
07-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Christopher Froome won Stage 17 as expected since it was a time trial but the real moral winner was Alberto Contador who came in second and kept his time lost to Froome at a minimum. I will have more updates but tomorrow through Saturday will be brutal as they go into the Alps on the final few days of the tour left. Vive le Tour!

Phil C
07-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I will now list the standings after Stage 17.

Yellow Jersey the general classification for the best time in the whole race. This is the most prestigious of the jerseys.

1. Christopher Froome
2. Alberto Contador 4'34" behind.
3. Roman Krueuziger Roman 4'51"
4. Blauke Mollema 6'23"
5. Nairo Quintana 6'58"

Green Jersey the sprinters' jersey based on sprint points

1. Peter Sagan 377
2. Mark Cavendish 278
3. Andre Griepel 223

Polka Dot Jersey the Climbers' Jersey based on points

1. Christopher Froome 88
2. Nairo Quintana 69
3. Mikel Nieve Iturmalde 53
4. Pierre Rolland 51

White Jersey - Best young rider with best overall time. Must have been 25 or less at 1-1-13.

1. Nairio Quintana
2. Micael Kwiatkowski 4"12" behind
3. Andrew Talansky 8'15"

Team (Best total time of a team's top 3 riders) No jersey awarded but they are recognized.

1. Team Saxo-Tintoff
2.. Radio Shack-Leopard 1'22" behind
3. AG2R LA MUNDALE 8'14" behind

Phil C
07-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Stage 18 was an exciting race today as France finally won a stage as Christophe Riblon won. American Tejay Van Garderen made a great effort and led up to the last 2 kilometers but the Frenchman had too much power at the end and won it in a well deserved fashion. In the overall race Christopher Froome holds on to first place probably for the rest of the race unless something happens. Stage 19 tomorrow continues in the mountains. Three more days left. Vive la France!

Phil C
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Stage 19 was exciting but no change in the overall general classifications. The peloton had all of the major overall contenders and were satisfied to let the breakaways and breakaways from the breakaways have their day and in the end Rui de Costa won his second stage this year. Christopher Froome has all but cinched the yellow jersey but there is a fight for the two remaining spots on the podium between four riders. Tomorrow will be the final mountain stage and it will be brutal. Then Sunday they all ride to Paris together and there they will let the sprinters have one final shot at glory.
Second and third place are important even though they don't get a jersey. Remember the sponsors pay their team and staff's salaries, equipment and expenses. In turn they expect publicity (non negative of course). Second and third place provide that. Fourth place is joked of as the first loser but even then that gets sympathy and positive publicity. In fact when a breakaway is done and caught fairly soon they still like that because that is publicity. In fact the last place riders is recognized and that is publicity. The riders near the bottom have been known to hide out behind the peloton to try to get that last place. So the sponsors like publicity as long as it is not negative such as cheating or breaking the law.
Just two more stages and the 2013 will be over as we will be looking forward to 2014. Vive le Tour!

Phil C
07-19-2013, 12:46 PM
It is possible for the same rider to win more than one jersey and it has been done. But for some interesting history Eddy Merckx the great Belgium rider made his debut in the TDF in 1969 and won all the jerseys available at the time which were the yellow, green and polka dot jerseys. He would have won the white jersey if it had been presented at the time plus his team would have been recognized as the top Team. He went on to win four more yellow jerseys in his career. Remarkable indeed.

Phil C
07-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Stage 20 was a brutal mountain stage. Since Christopher Froome was far ahead we had a major battle for second place and there was a shakeup overall. In an exciting end Froome, Juaquin Rodriguez and Nairo Quintana fourth for the stage win. Rodriguez led most of the way but with about 1/2 mile left Froome attacked but Quintana overtook him and then attacked and won the stage. Rodriguez managed to come back and Froome let him take second place. Froome was third and Val Verde got fourth. Tomorrow is the last stage and by tradition the riders go to Paris together and the sprinters have a chance at final glory for a stage win.

The yellow jersey will be worn by Christopher Froome as we expected all along. Also on stage will be Nairo Quintana at second place and Juaquin Rodriguez at third place. Alberto Contador will be in fourth place. The first year American Andrew Talanski will be in 10th place. Quintana also has cinched the white jersey and polka dot jersey. Peter Sagan has cinched the green jersey and will no doubt finish in Paris to claim it now.

More later but for now we have really enjoyed a great stage today with great effort by the riders in one of the most brutal TDF races ever. Vive le Tour!

Phil C
07-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Tomorrow (Sunday) they finish in Paris and even though the main places are cinched there is still some excitement left as the sprinters have a final chance for a stage win after 7 days of waiting for one last chance. Coverage starts live tomorrow (7-21-13) on NBC Sports Network at 11 A.M. and it will be repeated at 7 P.M. and 11 P.M. Remember France is seven hours ahead of us and the race tomorrow will end in Paris after dark and the city will be lit up. This is the first time it has ended at night and it will be awesome. Don't miss it!

Phil C
07-21-2013, 07:01 PM
What a fantastic ending and the farewell celebrations was great. You can still catch it starting at 7 or 11 P.M. tonight. What a sendoff and splendid show by the French. If you can't watch it live you can record it for later. Vive la France!

Phil C
07-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Stage 21 went as expected as the sprinters had their way at the end and Marcel Kittle won a close one over Mark Cavendish and Andre Greipel. Christophre Riblon won most aggressive rider.

Final awards were of course Christopher Froome for the yellow jersey which is overall winner. Second place was presented to Nairo Quintana 4'20" behind and Juoquin Rodriguez for third place 5'04" behind.

The green jersey for best sprinter by points went to Peter Sagan.

The white jersey went to Nairo Quintana while American Andrew Telansky was second. This was best young rider 25 or under on 1-1-13.

The polka dot jersey for king of the mountains (best climber on points) went to Nairo Quintana.

Alberto Contator finished outside the podium but still got recognition as his team Team Saxo-Tinkoff won the overall team classification based on time.

American Tejay Van Garderan had a disappointing race compared to what he did last year but he did come close to winning a couple of stages and will be back next year.
First year American racer Andrew Talansky should have future success as he was second in the white jersey and finished in the overall top ten in the general classification.

Christopher Froome is in his prime and will no doubt be favored to win the next two years at least.

The Colombian Nairo Quintana is the new star however and should challenge next year and several years and if things go well should win a TFG yellow jersey. He gained great experience and is already an outstanding climber and a good descender and time trial rider and at 23 years of age should improve. Hopefully next year he will be the main one on a good team that will support him along with good training and practice.

A great race indeed. Vive le Tour!

Phil C
07-21-2013, 07:45 PM
There were 198 riders that started the race and 169 finished in Paris so we lost 29 riders and even though you hate to lose riders that is good considering that this was an extra brutal race this year. It is unfortunate but crashes do happen and some have to leave due to injuries. Also illnesses and fatigue happen also along with other unforeseen circumstances. What is encouraging there were no scandals and from what I can tell it was a clean drug free race with no cheating. I hope that was the case and that it continues to be the case in the future. There is still some skepticism and based on past events it is justified. But I hope it is clean.

Phil C
07-22-2013, 10:45 AM
The last place rider was Svein Tuft who was on the Orica Greenedge team and he is from Canada. Even though he finished last it is still an accomplishment to finish the race. He is 36 years old and is the oldest first year rider on the tour. His team did well the first week of the tour and he was a good contributor but right afterward he was injured in a crash and it was a struggle for him to just finish the race which he did. He was interviewed when the race was over. Great determination indeed.

Phil C
07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
NBC will show a summary of the race on Sunday, 7-28-13, starting at 11:30 A.M.

Phil C
07-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Well another Tour de France ends. We have completed 100 years of the tour and look forward to 2014 as we start another second hundred years. Let's hope Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen can start us off by announcing the first of the next hundred years. But on reflecting on the 2013 one we have been treated to a great one again. No Tour de France races are ever the same except each has excitement and surprises and drama. The Tour has ended but it has entertained us and got through the month of July. Soon football and other sports will start and we will be once be watching another exciting football season as we also look forward to excitement under the Friday night lights. But the Tour has helped us endure the gap as we fast approach football season. A great race this year and a great concluding of the first 100 TDFs. Looking forward to next year.

Vive le Tour!

:clap: