PDA

View Full Version : Sideline to Sideline Greatest 3A Teams Since 1980 Show in Daingerfield

Gsquared
06-24-2013, 06:45 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1424329

ctown81
06-24-2013, 07:48 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1424329

Like I've said before, those were not high school students on that 83 D'field team. Still would pay top dollar to see them against 85 jefferson. Can we get a show about the greatest games you guys witnessed since covering 3a or greatest period?

Gsquared
06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Like I've said before, those were not high school students on that 83 D'field team. Still would pay top dollar to see them against 85 jefferson. Can we get a show about the greatest games you guys witnessed since covering 3a or greatest period?

That would be a fun show to do!

Gsquared
06-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Two games that come to mind right off the bat are 2010 Brownwood VS Carthage and Coldspring VS La Marque regular season last year. LM had that game in its hands, lost in OT.

waterboy
06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Two games that come to mind right off the bat are 2010 Brownwood VS Carthage and Coldspring VS La Marque regular season last year. LM had that game in its hands, lost in OT.

...Or the 2009 Gilmer / Cuero game....

ctown81
06-24-2013, 08:44 AM

Were you guys at the West Columbia vs Chapel Hill game in Nacogdoches in 2011? That was another classic. OAN: This is probably the best show I've heard from you guys so far. Now the scoop of the century would be interviewing Rougley from Carthage. The only person on the planet to reach pay dirt. he should have a plaque lol. As a matter of fact I would wear a tshirt that said, "I scored on 83 Dfield"

movethechain
06-24-2013, 11:28 AM
...Or the 2004 Gilmer / Jasper game....

hollywood
06-24-2013, 11:52 AM

2010 Brownwood vs Carthage was a great game... atmosphere was electric.

Not 3A but the 2005 Stephenville vs Highland Park semifinals was another classic. Wow! Snead vs Stafford.

ctown81
06-24-2013, 01:00 PM
2010 Brownwood vs Carthage was a great game... atmosphere was electric.

Not 3A but the 2005 Stephenville vs Highland Park semifinals was another classic. Wow! Snead vs Stafford.

I personally don't think it will ever get any better than Carthage vs Brownwood. There will be other games with the same amount of hype maybe more but as far as living up to the hype it doesn't get any better than this.

hollywood
06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I personally don't think it will ever get any better than Carthage vs Brownwood. There will be other games with the same amount of hype maybe more but as far as living up to the hype it doesn't get any better than this.

I'd have to agree ctown81! One of the all time most viewed threads on the D-low!

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?109565-3A-Division-II-State-Semifinal-Brownwood-(14-0)-vs-Carthage-(12-2)&highlight=Brownwood+carthage

BEAST
06-24-2013, 03:44 PM
I'd have to agree ctown81! One of the all time most viewed threads on the D-low!

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?109565-3A-Division-II-State-Semifinal-Brownwood-(14-0)-vs-Carthage-(12-2)&highlight=Brownwood+carthage

I just spent a little time reading that old thread. What a week that was. The game was even better. Looking back now, I cant see how either of the teams fans could honestly say that the game couldnt have gone either way. Oh well folks, that is why you play the games.

BEAST

bobcat1
06-24-2013, 05:00 PM

I just spent a little time reading that old thread. What a week that was. The game was even better. Looking back now, I cant see how either of the teams fans could honestly say that the game couldnt have gone either way. Oh well folks, that is why you play the games.

BEAST

I've seen a lot of football games in my life and this was single handedly the best I've seen. 2 equally matched teams fighting it out to the very end. If it was a movie I'd go watch it again kinda like I watch old Westerns with John Wayne. :2thumbsup

Gsquared
06-25-2013, 07:09 AM
I've seen a lot of football games in my life and this was single handedly the best I've seen. 2 equally matched teams fighting it out to the very end. If it was a movie I'd go watch it again kinda like I watch old Westerns with John Wayne. :2thumbsup

92 SLC vs Vernon and 2010 Brownwood vs Carthage. Two huge ones that stand out to me. Alot of other good games but these two take the cake

YTBulldogs
06-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Best game I ever seen. Best team lost to the greatest athlete I've seen. Coldest game I ever been at too. Go Mean Green Dude had shorts on. My popcorn was frozen:1popcorn:

Gilmer fan's most organized in those loud "cheer yell's".

That '83 Daingerfield team, would be the best team I've seen as well. Just amazing what that "D" did that year.

Gsquared
06-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Best game I ever seen. Best team lost to the greatest athlete I've seen. Coldest game I ever been at too. My popcorn was frozen:1popcorn:

That '83 Daingerfield team, would be the best team I've seen as well. Just amazing what that "D" did that year.
Hate that I missed that Cuero/Gilmer game!

hollywood
06-25-2013, 12:30 PM
This wasn't 3A then but both are now so it should merit some credit.

The Stephenville vs La Marque SC game in 1993! It's easier for me to admit now since I've lived in Stephenville for quite some time and support. This was actually one of my all time games to watch. I'm "from down the road" you see so you can only imagine how hard it was for me. Then, it was very hard! lol Looking back, it was a classic!

It was Stephenville's first ever appearance in the SC game. Game was at DKR stadium in Austin on a cool December day. La Marque led the game at the half and basically were out athleting Stephenville. Art Briles (the king of halftime adjustments) led his Stephenville team out from the locker room under the concrete stands and through 5,000 ball bearing filled can fans blaring as loud as I've ever heard. They made their way to the field with confidence you could see in their eyes. I will never forget the size of the OL. OMG.. I thought I was watching a few of UT's football players dressed in navy and gold walk the tunnel. I thought to myself "you've got to be kidding me!!" These guys were like giants. It still gives me chill bumps to this day. Brandon Stewart was QB. Hell of an athlete. Took the game on his shoulders and overcame what many outsiders thought was impossible. Stephenville came out and dominated La Marque the 2nd half. I thought there wasn't a chance for Stephenville after watching how La Marque man handled Stephenville in the 1st half. But the opposite happened... Stephenville out powered, out executed and out athleted La Marque in the 2nd half to win their first SC. Atmosphere was unforgetable.

refereedoc
06-25-2013, 12:54 PM

The Stephenville vs La Marque SC game in 1993! It's easier for me to admit now since I've lived in Stephenville for quite some time and support. This was actually one of my all time games to watch. I'm "from down the road" you see so you can only imagine how hard it was for me. Then, it was very hard! lol Looking back, it was a classic!

It was Stephenville's first ever appearance in the SC game. Game was at DKR stadium in Austin on a cool December day. La Marque led the game at the half and basically were out athleting Stephenville. Art Briles (the king of halftime adjustments) led his Stephenville team out from the locker room under the concrete stands and through 5,000 ball bearing filled can fans blaring as loud as I've ever heard. They made their way to the field with confidence you could see in their eyes. I will never forget the size of the OL. OMG.. I thought I was watching a few of UT's football players dressed in navy and gold walk the tunnel. I thought to myself "you've got to be kidding me!!" These guys were like giants. It still gives me chill bumps to this day. Brandon Stewart was QB. Hell of an athlete. Took the game on his shoulders and overcame what many outsiders thought was impossible. Stephenville came out and dominated La Marque the 2nd half. I thought there wasn't a chance for Stephenville after watching how La Marque man handled Stephenville in the 1st half. But the opposite happened... Stephenville out powered, out executed and out athleted La Marque in the 2nd half to win their first SC. Atmosphere was unforgetable.
I was there too. I think the swinging gate right before half that tied the game was the turning point. it was a great game!

BEAST
06-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Stewart was great but so was Jason Bragg. The two offensive tackles, Shaylor Prior and Lowery were huge.

BEAST

hollywood
06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Stewart was great but so was Jason Bragg. The two offensive tackles, Shaylor Prior and Lowery were huge.

BEAST

Yes Bragg was a stud and more prolific in the '94 SC game vs La Marque.

Lowery is a friend of mine. He was with us several years back in Austin during mardi gras. He brought a friend who played OL at UT during the same time he played at Tech. They parted the seas for us on 6th street while we watched the beads fly! Fun times.

lostaussie
06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Coldest game I ever been at too. Go Mean Green Dude had shorts on. My popcorn was frozen:1popcorn:

. Funny............I just don't remember that. Got to believe I been to some way colder games than that. I guess you southerners just don't get exposed to the "chill" very often:D

bobcat1
06-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Funny............I just don't remember that. Got to believe I been to some way colder games than that. I guess you southerners just don't get exposed to the "chill" very often:D

That was a nice dig.:D

buckeyebob
06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Hate that I missed that Cuero/Gilmer game!

It is Buckeye lore...Sam Houston semi-final...Cuero 36, Bux 34...2min & change left in the game...smash mouth ball all night...Stump Godfrey, QB...Gilmer 4th & several on their 30...here, you see The Run & Xtra point... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyqUGFkS2lI&feature=related...42-36 Final...WOW!!...great job Goblers!!

buckeyebob
06-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Funny............I just don't remember that. Got to believe I been to some way colder games than that. I guess you southerners just don't get exposed to the "chill" very often:D

Liberty Hill...Waco...2007...wind @ 30mph & cold, cold, cold...it was not fun...we lost

lostaussie
06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
I remember that one vividly. Maybe the coldest a$$ kicking ever:D

Matthew328
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
There's been a couple of Stephenville classics I've seen..93 vs. Waxahachie at Floyd Casey and the 2005 game vs. Highland Park at Fouts

2001 Everman vs. Forney is up there for me
I listened to 92 SLC-Vernon on the radio not sure much will top that....

Farmersville-Tatum 2A title game was unreal as was the Judson-Midland Lee 5A game

I need to see more classic 3A playoff tilts...I thought 2011 Alvarado-Chapel Hill was fantastic

D'Highlander
06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Not 3A but I figured you Villians would have at least mentioned the back and forth Aledo game that ended in 3 straight blocked kicks and the inception of Jones to Gunter...

BEAST
06-26-2013, 08:53 AM
1996 Double OT between Brownwood and Stephenville. Also the 1998 game as well.

BEAST

Ville-D
06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Not 3A but I figured you Villians would have at least mentioned the back and forth Aledo game that ended in 3 straight blocked kicks and the inception of Jones to Gunter...

That was a good one.

hollywood
06-26-2013, 10:17 AM
1996 Double OT between Brownwood and Stephenville. Also the 1998 game as well.

BEAST

From memory, wasn't the '96 game triple OT? Not a person sitting for the last hour of that game. Packed house at Gordon Wood. Audie Mitchel was the RB for Brownwood that could not be stopped. What a performance! Has to go down as one of my favs. The '98 game with Colby Freeman, another great game.

BEAST
06-26-2013, 10:50 AM
From memory, wasn't the '96 game triple OT? Not a person sitting for the last hour of that game. Packed house at Gordon Wood. Audie Mitchel was the RB for Brownwood that could not be stopped. What a performance! Has to go down as one of my favs. The '98 game with Colby Freeman, another great game.

May have been triple. I know it was an unreal game and atmosphere.

BEAST

RoyceTTU
06-26-2013, 01:06 PM
May have been triple. I know it was an unreal game and atmosphere.

BEAST

Wasn't this the year Johnson ran in the final score?

BEAST
06-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Wasn't this the year Johnson ran in the final score?

yes.

BEAST