PDA

View Full Version : Coach Valastro at Columbus

Pudlugger
06-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Coach V has gone full circle almost since departing from La Grange in 2004. Under Valastro the Leps went to State twice winning in 2000 and runner up in 2001 while making deep runs in the play offs in 1997 (semi finals), 2002 (regional finals) and 2003 (regional finals). He had much success at East Chambers taking that 2a team to the playoffs several times as well. After a difficult tenure at 4a Ball a perennial cellar dweller winning only 3 games in as many years he now will be heading up the Columbus Cardinals.

The Cardinals look pretty good on paper with 7 starters on offense and 7 on defense returning including their impressive Qb Schmick (2,924 total yards,33 passing tds, and 3 tds for 202 yards rushing). DCTF has them 5th in the tough D25 behind Bellville, El Campo, Sealy and Wharton. I don't know. I think they will end up higher than that and in the playoffs. If there is one coach who knows how to get the most out of what he has been dealt it is Valastro. He is tough and very demanding and one of the best game strategists in Texas high school football. Few coaches are better in managing the clock and getting plays in as seamlessly as Coach V. As for discipline and conditioning, those Cardinals are going to be in the best physical and mental condition of their young lives. The Leopards play them in Columbus this year. That will be a very interesting game. Ignore them at your peril.

Additup
06-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Coach Valastro has been a part of state championship teams at Groveton, Waxahachie and LaGrange. When you win state championships at 3 different schools, you knows what it takes to win. I hope he and Columbus are a great fit for each other.

hookandladder
06-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I give him 2 years and he is gone, there is no Tye Gunn in Columbus.

Pudlugger
06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
I give him 2 years and he is gone, there is no Tye Gunn in Columbus.

Hook, Valastro's 2001 (State Championship Runner Up), 2002 (regional finalist), 2003 (regional finalist) were all teams without Tye Gunn. My point is that Valastro got the best out of his players. His uncompromising hard nosed style probably irritated some folks inside and outside the coaching community but that doesn't detract from what he has accomplished. Columbus has some good athletes this year. I am curious to see what he does with them. I would guess he will not make too many changes in the offensive scheme right away but in the sub varsity ranks look for the Veer Offense to reappear on the scene.

maestro
06-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Columbus' talent level is equal to wharton's.

I could see columbus and wharton battling for that fourth spot.

hookandladder
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Hook, Valastro's 2001 (State Championship Runner Up), 2002 (regional finalist), 2003 (regional finalist) were all teams without Tye Gunn. My point is that Valastro got the best out of his players. His uncompromising hard nosed style probably irritated some folks inside and outside the coaching community but that doesn't detract from what he has accomplished. Columbus has some good athletes this year. I am curious to see what he does with them. I would guess he will not make too many changes in the offensive scheme right away but in the sub varsity ranks look for the Veer Offense to reappear on the scene.

All I will say is he had great talent when he was here , I have one of his former players that works for me who was a stud on the State team and runner up team and he said the Ass. coaches were the true coaches. Just words from his mouth and others on those teams , just like in the real world of working people you surround yourself with good people. One last note , he was a horrible AD that did not support any sport other then football. He wanted the spotlight, Good Luck to the Columbus folks. PS , I am done so I can give my opinion and it does not matter who likes it or not.

Pudlugger
06-24-2013, 04:24 AM
All I will say is he had great talent when he was here , I have one of his former players that works for me who was a stud on the State team and runner up team and he said the Ass. coaches were the true coaches. Just words from his mouth and others on those teams , just like in the real world of working people you surround yourself with good people. One last note , he was a horrible AD that did not support any sport other then football. He wanted the spotlight, Good Luck to the Columbus folks. PS , I am done so I can give my opinion and it does not matter who likes it or not.

Hook, I respect your opinion and agree that Valastro had great assistant coaches. I particularly liked Coaches Cothran, Cooper and Hickle among others. However, as for AD we won State in baseball two years (2001, 2004), had an excellent Softball program, Power Lifting and tennis teams. We were not that strong in basketball or track teams. When you bring in a coach to build your football program that will always be the number one priority. How many Football coaches who come in and build up the general athletic program but fail to win in football get their contracts renewed. That seems to me to be how things work inside the political sphere of high school athletics in Texas. You know more about those sorts of issues though so I'll differ judgement.

As for talent I'll agree he had a bunch of very gifted athletes. My son played for the Leps 2001, 2002, 2003 and was an All District and All Tri-County offensive tackle. Many of his team mates excelled in multiple sports and were strong student athletes as well. He benefited from Valastro's no nonsense rigorous approach to coaching and developed discipline and a work ethic that shows now that he is a grown man.

I would like to hear from some Columbus folks on this. However, as I said, I believe Valastro will have success in the Cardinal football program. We shall see.

Ernest T Bass
06-24-2013, 11:39 AM
When you are HFC/AD, the only sport where losing will get you fired is football. So, that's where you concentrate. It's not rocket surgery, folks.

hookandladder
06-24-2013, 11:50 AM
When you are HFC/AD, the only sport where losing will get you fired is football. So, that's where you concentrate. It's not rocket surgery, folks.

That is the case in most towns but not in La Grange, you get a HC job here and you can pretty much retire here. I am not knocking it at all, a coach that get's a Head job here will be here until they decide to leave. The best job security in the State, hands down.

Ernest T Bass
06-24-2013, 11:53 AM
That is the case in most towns but not in La Grange, you get a HC job here and you can pretty much retire here. I am not knocking it at all, a coach that get's a Head job here will be here until they decide to leave. The best job security in the State, hands down.

So, HFC goes 3-37 over 4 years, his job is still safe?

hookandladder
06-25-2013, 06:18 AM
So, HFC goes 3-37 over 4 years, his job is still safe?

As long as he is well respected by the community and most all feels he is doing the best with what he has , then yes he will still have a job. La Grange football runs in cycles as far as talent and being able to win , every 3 or 4 years the talent will be there for you to win your share of games. A State championship or even the playoffs is not expected as often as a number of schools in our area , La Grange expects to have success in all sports. Just liike this year , Baseball -State Champions. Coach V did have some other sports that were successful while he was AD in La Grange , let's just say he did not take as much pride in other sports taking attention away from his football. That is fact , not BS.

Ernest T Bass
06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Hard to believe that a community with as much success at LG would have such low expectations. Ive never known of a place where a community felt a HC was getting the most out of his talent if the program was losing,

hookandladder
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Hard to believe that a community with as much success at LG would have such low expectations. Ive never known of a place where a community felt a HC was getting the most out of his talent if the program was losing,

Do your home work and tell when is the last time a head football coach here at La Grange was let go, I can tell you in the last 20 years that it has not happened. It is not about low expectations , it has more to do with maybe more knowledgeable people doing the hiring and firing of coaches. A lot of schools ( School Board members) then they know more then the high schools coaches and they are the ones that create the turn over in coaches, that just does not happen in La Grange. I know it is hard for outsiders to beleive the school board in La Grange does not hire and fire coaches , yes they have final approval but the Super and AD make the decisions on who to hire. Maybe other schools would fair better in all sports if they would take the same approach , let the coaches coach and the armchair coaches bitch to a deaf ear. Also, I think Coach V did a good job coaching football here , it was the AD part that he was not good at. For those who think the success in other sports were related to him being the AD are truely mistaken, that is funny right there.

Ernest T Bass
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Do your home work and tell when is the last time a head football coach here at La Grange was let go, I can tell you in the last 20 years that it has not happened. It is not about low expectations , it has more to do with maybe more knowledgeable people doing the hiring and firing of coaches. A lot of schools ( School Board members) then they know more then the high schools coaches and they are the ones that create the turn over in coaches, that just does not happen in La Grange. I know it is hard for outsiders to beleive the school board in La Grange does not hire and fire coaches , yes they have final approval but the Super and AD make the decisions on who to hire. Maybe other schools would fair better in all sports if they would take the same approach , let the coaches coach and the armchair coaches bitch to a deaf ear.

I agree completely. Ive just never seen a place like that. Pretty cool if LG really is thataway.

hookandladder
06-25-2013, 01:36 PM
I agree completely. Ive just never seen a place like that. Pretty cool if LG really is thataway.

Trust me , it is. Low pay but security.

buff4ever
06-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Do your home work and tell when is the last time a head football coach here at La Grange was let go, I can tell you in the last 20 years that it has not happened. It is not about low expectations , it has more to do with maybe more knowledgeable people doing the hiring and firing of coaches. A lot of schools ( School Board members) then they know more then the high schools coaches and they are the ones that create the turn over in coaches, that just does not happen in La Grange. I know it is hard for outsiders to beleive the school board in La Grange does not hire and fire coaches , yes they have final approval but the Super and AD make the decisions on who to hire. Maybe other schools would fair better in all sports if they would take the same approach , let the coaches coach and the armchair coaches bitch to a deaf ear. Also, I think Coach V did a good job coaching football here , it was the AD part that he was not good at. For those who think the success in other sports were related to him being the AD are truely mistaken, that is funny right there.

I would hope that is typical that the AD makes a recommendation to super and then same reccommendation 98% of time goes to the school board, now how people hire AD's varies from school to school. I understand comment about Velastro not deserving credit for other sports success. We had a lot of Softball, Girls Basketball, and Baseball success under Fitz, and those sports received no support from him during their runs. It took good athletes and good department coaches. Sometimes a GOOD AD can build a program and coaching staff that others can attribute to the AD's system, but often times in these small schools when the AD is the football coach, that is exactly what he is, and he doesn't have much to do with the success or failure at other sports. When small schools get there hands on a AD/HC that does attract good coaches and run a successful program from top to bottom. Then they should hang on to that coach through thick and thin; because those are hard to come by.

1971Coogs
06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Coach V has gone full circle almost since departing from La Grange in 2004. Under Valastro the Leps went to State twice winning in 2000 and runner up in 2001 while making deep runs in the play offs in 1997 (semi finals), 2002 (regional finals) and 2003 (regional finals). He had much success at East Chambers taking that 2a team to the playoffs several times as well. After a difficult tenure at 4a Ball a perennial cellar dweller winning only 3 games in as many years he now will be heading up the Columbus Cardinals.

The Cardinals look pretty good on paper with 7 starters on offense and 7 on defense returning including their impressive Qb Schmick (2,924 total yards,33 passing tds, and 3 tds for 202 yards rushing). DCTF has them 5th in the tough D25 behind Bellville, El Campo, Sealy and Wharton. I don't know. I think they will end up higher than that and in the playoffs. If there is one coach who knows how to get the most out of what he has been dealt it is Valastro. He is tough and very demanding and one of the best game strategists in Texas high school football. Few coaches are better in managing the clock and getting plays in as seamlessly as Coach V. As for discipline and conditioning, those Cardinals are going to be in the best physical and mental condition of their young lives. The Leopards play them in Columbus this year. That will be a very interesting game. Ignore them at your peril.
Actually Ball High Galveston was not a perennial cellar dwellar as you indicated. They were 5A and very competitive until 2008 when hurricane IKE devastated Galveston. They lost a lot of the population because of that and really have not recovered. They dropped to 4A in 2010...

Scoop27
06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Being a great AD is all about increasing the numbers in all sports boys and girls no matter the school size. The students are there in the hallways. It's a matter of the AD and getting the coaches on the same page and promoting it. They need to get over to the students that it's fun to play in sports and that winning isn't the only thing. East Bernard has one of the best Class 2A sports programs in the state and some better than schools. Their numbers are high in every sport. The girls basketball team won its first ever playoff game in the school history. The boys team had a late start because of the football and didn't win many games. The boys track team won state after finishing second the year before. Even before Jerry Long took over as AD, participation was high. It also has a lot to do with parent and community support and expectations.

hookandladder
06-26-2013, 06:16 AM
I would hope that is typical that the AD makes a recommendation to super and then same reccommendation 98% of time goes to the school board, now how people hire AD's varies from school to school. I understand comment about Velastro not deserving credit for other sports success. We had a lot of Softball, Girls Basketball, and Baseball success under Fitz, and those sports received no support from him during their runs. It took good athletes and good department coaches. Sometimes a GOOD AD can build a program and coaching staff that others can attribute to the AD's system, but often times in these small schools when the AD is the football coach, that is exactly what he is, and he doesn't have much to do with the success or failure at other sports. When small schools get there hands on a AD/HC that does attract good coaches and run a successful program from top to bottom. Then they should hang on to that coach through thick and thin; because those are hard to come by.

La Grange is in a good situation right now with their AD, in my opinion some minor tweeking could be done and it would be top notch. Our AD supposts all sports and most importantly his family is all in in all sports, the question is how long will we be able to keep him. Our success this year in all sports speaks for itself , pretty sure we were 4th in the Lone Star Cup this year.

XMan
06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
My personal opinion, which I know most of you hate, is that the AD position should be assigned to and administrator within the school that is not a coach. I know this could cost more money, but it would really make programs much better. An assistant supt. or an AD that doesnt coach is really the way to go. The way it is set up now in small schools it is a direct conflict of interest for the ad/fb coach. Its like having the president of Coca Cola being in charge of sales at Pepsi.

hookandladder
06-26-2013, 09:42 AM
My personal opinion, which I know most of you hate, is that the AD position should be assigned to and administrator within the school that is not a coach. I know this could cost more money, but it would really make programs much better. An assistant supt. or an AD that doesnt coach is really the way to go. The way it is set up now in small schools it is a direct conflict of interest for the ad/fb coach. Its like having the president of Coca Cola being in charge of sales at Pepsi.

I do agree with you however there are some really good AD/HC football coaches out there, you just have to be lucky enough to find them. We have one now and we also have a great Super. , when you combine them two at one school then you really have a winner. La Grange is in a great situation right now, hope it last for a while.

Weebe
06-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Being a great AD is all about increasing the numbers in all sports boys and girls no matter the school size. The students are there in the hallways. It's a matter of the AD and getting the coaches on the same page and promoting it. They need to get over to the students that it's fun to play in sports and that winning isn't the only thing. East Bernard has one of the best Class 2A sports programs in the state and some better than schools. Their numbers are high in every sport. The girls basketball team won its first ever playoff game in the school history. The boys team had a late start because of the football and didn't win many games. The boys track team won state after finishing second the year before. Even before Jerry Long took over as AD, participation was high. It also has a lot to do with parent and community support and expectations.

I've been told by several people in East Bernard(including coaches) that they are excelling in other sports besides football despite Jerry Long, instead of because of him.

XMan
06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Ive heard the exact same thing, Weebe.

maestro
06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
The more that I read about Coach Valastro , and knowing the talent Columbus has, they could be the surprise of that district.

I personally thought Columbus was too multiple last year.....driving the ball doing one thing....and then 3 and out doing something else.

Manso/V8
06-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Trust me , it is. Low pay but security.

Has La Grange football ever gone through a down, lackluster time?
After Chancellor left, Bellville had two very disappointing/almost depressing years that prompted a coaching change.

I don't know how AD/HC selections were made in the past, but this time around, the new super conducted all the interviews in private and made the final recommendation/s to the board.
Our super had a strong background in coaching and had been president of the 4A coaches association a couple of years.
It has worked out well.

Pudlugger
06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Has La Grange football ever gone through a down, lackluster time?
After Chancellor left, Bellville had two very disappointing/almost depressing years that prompted a coaching change.

I don't know how AD/HC selections were made in the past, but this time around, the new super conducted all the interviews in private and made the final recommendation/s to the board.
Our super had a strong background in coaching and had been president of the 4A coaches association a couple of years.
It has worked out well.

Down years:
1998,2004,2005,2007,2008, 2010, 2011 missed playoffs. 2004 worst season @ 2-8 and last year for Coach V who went to Winney and Coach Warner started at LG.

Rebuilding years:
Under Warner the Leps went 4-6 in 2005, 8-3 2006, 4-5 2007, 6-4 2008, 12-3 2009.

Present:

Under Coach Kates 4-6 2010, 6-4 2011, 8-3 2012

Folks in Leopard Country have high expectations for the 2013 team with so many starters returning and a system that is hitting on all 11 cylinders.

hookandladder
06-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Down years:
1998,2004,2005,2007,2008, 2010, 2011 missed playoffs. 2004 worst season @ 2-8 and last year for Coach V who went to Winney and Coach Warner started at LG.

Rebuilding years:
Under Warner the Leps went 4-6 in 2005, 8-3 2006, 4-5 2007, 6-4 2008, 12-3 2009.

Present:

Under Coach Kates 4-6 2010, 6-4 2011, 8-3 2012

Folks in Leopard Country have high expectations for the 2013 team with so many starters returning and a system that is hitting on all 11 cylinders.

The offense will be ran a little different this year, also we will have a new DC this year. We will need someone from this Senior class to step up and be leaders, we had those last years and must have them again this year.