PDA

View Full Version : Field Turf: schools adding it

YTBulldogs
06-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I see Cuero and Refugio are adding it currently. Any others?

Both the Gob's and Refugio are well deserving of the upgrades (Cuero over 3M in upgrades includes turf, jumbotron, new track, practice field enhancements) based on what they have done for their community over the years in being successful. Good use IMO of the oil money in our area. Yoakum isn't far behind using their chunk of the black gold influx for football field enhancements, and a new stadium complex for girl's softball. Long over due there.

Cam
06-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Burnet still stickin' to the real thing...I don't know who maintains it, but that is some pretty grass!....

Rabid Cougar
06-21-2013, 10:00 AM
West tried to do it but was pretty much shot down by their congressman.

Bullaholic
06-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Bridgeport just approved turf a few weeks ago.

maestro
06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Gotta love communities that invest in their athletic teams.

Rabid Cougar
06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Gotta love communities that invest in their athletic teams.

The band didn't seem to mind using it.

tigerball4life
06-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Sealy tried a few years ago but they wern't sure if they were just going to build a new stadium with turf instead. I see they are putting in a new track around the old field, I assume that means they are going to keep playing there.
I would love to see an impartial study done on whether it saves money or if turf is just a luxury.

Tejastrue
06-21-2013, 11:29 AM
One of the main reasons for turf here in Wimberley is water conservation. Very debated topic around here.

Cam
06-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Sealy tried a few years ago but they wern't sure if they were just going to build a new stadium with turf instead. I see they are putting in a new track around the old field, I assume that means they are going to keep playing there.
I would love to see an impartial study done on whether it saves money or if turf is just a luxury.

I'd like to see some stats on whether or not there are more injuries with turf vs. natural grass. The new turf stuff seems pretty good but I haven't heard lately if it's a wash vs. real grass....

tigerball4life
06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see some stats on whether or not there are more injuries with turf vs. natural grass. The new turf stuff seems pretty good but I haven't heard lately if it's a wash vs. real grass....

Well when Sealy was talking about it they had a sports trainer on their board and he said it was better than grass and much better than the old style turf, which we played on in the Dome, I still have scars from that crap, thin plastic grass rug on concrete!

waterboy
06-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Gilmer has had "field turf" since 2005. The turf they got had an eight year warranty, but it got so bad they used the warranty and got a brand new turf with a new warranty for a cut-rate price installed before last season. It is NICE! It takes so much to keep a grass field in good shape that is much more cost efficient over the long haul. It's not like the turf in the old days where they just laid a carpet over asphalt. There a thick layer of pea gravel and sand under the turf that allows for better drainage, and it is MUCH softer. Does anybody here remember when turf was layed over a layer of asphalt. Those fields were HARD to say the least, not to mention they would develop holes in the asphalt under the turf. They caused a lot of injuries in those days.

Macarthur
06-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Iowa Park is going through a major HS renovation which will include the stadium and new field turf. I think water played a big part in their decision, also.

Cam
06-21-2013, 01:36 PM
One of the main reasons for turf here in Wimberley is water conservation. Very debated topic around here.

Water conservation?.....Don't get me started on that!......A bunch of my neighbors who live on or near the water have pumps going to Inks Lake/Buchanan Dam river bottoms. They have the nicest green St. Augustine you've ever seen!!.....Most of em' are a bunch of retired ol' farts who have done well with their lives....I guess they feel they've earned all the water they can take!......Meanwhile, my grass goes dormant in the summer time and turns a beautiful light tan color!!......:bigcry:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Port Isabel WISHES they could get field turf....but they can't.

Why?

Robin Hood Act. About 70 cents for each 1 dollar the district earns is collected by the state and sent to "poor" school districts. Most of our monies go to Rio Hondo, and Los Fresnos. Rio Hondo built a beautiful new high school and a brand new stadium. Los Fresnos also built a new high school with those monies, and they are now building a 2nd high school. Port Isabel did get a new weight room, but the district couldn't afford to pay for all of it. The kids had to go door to door and beg for donations simply to cover the cost.

You know, for Port Isabel to be considered one of the richest school districts in the state, we sure don't look it. Thanks a lot, Robin Hood Act.....

toddg
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Bridgeport just approved turf a few weeks ago.

will it be in by week 0 when we come to town?

Additup
06-21-2013, 02:37 PM
No difference in injuries. Field turf allows for unlimited use year round, but gets smoking hot from june to september - glue on Nike molded cleats couldn't hold up a few years ago. If your school plays boys/girls soccer, sub varsity football games, hosts track meets and community events and practices band marching on the field then field turf is best choice.

YTBulldogs
06-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Why?

Robin Hood Act. About 70 cents for each 1 dollar the district earns is collected by the state and sent to "poor" school districts. Most of our monies go to Rio Hondo, and Los Fresnos. Rio Hondo built a beautiful new high school and a brand new stadium. Los Fresnos also built a new high school with those monies, and they are now building a 2nd high school. Port Isabel did get a new weight room, but the district couldn't afford to pay for all of it. The kids had to go door to door and beg for donations simply to cover the cost.

You know, for Port Isabel to be considered one of the richest school districts in the state, we sure don't look it. Thanks a lot, Robin Hood Act.....

Sad. Maybe one year they can send your school some money, then you can afford the turf? Kinda like someone on welfare, buying a new, loaded Cadillac SUV, huh?

Cam
06-21-2013, 04:21 PM
shoot!...them PI Tarpons don't care what they play on!....them shrimp eatin' folks are some tough sumbitches!!....heck, they practice on grass burr-filled fields already!.....GO TARPONS!!!

SHSBulldog00
06-21-2013, 04:27 PM

Why?

Sweeny was in the same predicament as PI. After several years of debate we had our turf installed last season. We are currently expanding the seating on the visitor side.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-21-2013, 05:02 PM
shoot!...them PI Tarpons don't care what they play on!....them shrimp eatin' folks are some tough sumbitches!!....heck, they practice on grass burr-filled fields already!.....GO TARPONS!!!

We eat a lot of fish too. Mainly speckled trout and redfish with the occasional flounder mixed in. But if you want the GOOD stuff, catch you some red snapper and grouper. That grouper is some REALLY good eatin'!

You are right about PI folks being some tough SOBs though.

Roughneck93
06-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Sweeny was in the same predicament as PI. After several years of debate we had our turf installed last season. We are currently expanding the seating on the visitor side.

Nice...:)

FB-fanatic
06-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Bond passed about 2 months ago - 22M total. Lot's of school improvements; primarily high school remodel and expansion. Reconfigured fb stadium bleachers and new turf and track, to go along with our new "pretty" community supported scoreboard.

buckeyebob
06-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Water conservation?.....Don't get me started on that!......A bunch of my neighbors who live on or near the water have pumps going to Inks Lake/Buchanan Dam river bottoms. They have the nicest green St. Augustine you've ever seen!!.....Most of em' are a bunch of retired ol' farts who have done well with their lives....I guess they feel they've earned all the water they can take!......Meanwhile, my grass goes dormant in the summer time and turns a beautiful light tan color!!......:bigcry:

Old Farts are the bomb...GHS Class of '66...you too will be one if you are fortunate.

buckeyebob
06-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Why?

Robin Hood dos not seem to bother Tatum or Carthrage...they have learned how to do it...both have jumbotrons & indoor practice fields...all the goodies...not sure how it is done...we are poor

buckeyebob
06-21-2013, 08:12 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=604&d=1371385813

Our new digs...new Field Turf

Bosqueville
06-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Very nice but you don't expect many visitors to show up do you?

Rocket Man
06-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Bond passed about 2 months ago - 22M total. Lot's of school improvements; primarily high school remodel and expansion. Reconfigured fb stadium bleachers and new turf and track, to go along with our new "pretty" community supported scoreboard.

Does the reconfigure include the visitor bleachers?

In answer to the thread question, we did turf along with some facility improvements last year. I like it, Rocket blue end zones!!

FB-fanatic
06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Does the reconfigure include the visitor bleachers?

In answer to the thread question, we did turf along with some facility improvements last year. I like it, Rocket blue end zones!!

Yes sir. Expanded visitors bleachers like you guys did quite a few years ago - home side becomes visitors -home side back to the sun.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Robin Hood dos not seem to bother Tatum or Carthrage...they have learned how to do it...both have jumbotrons & indoor practice fields...all the goodies...not sure how it is done...we are poor

The state probably doesn't take as much from Tatum or Carthage as they do Port Isabel. It's not the same amount per school. It's dependent on tax revenue for the schools. Since PIISD (Point Isabel Independent School District) is considered one of the richest school districts in the state (thanks South Padre Island!) the state takes 70% of the tax revenue the school district would normally take in.

Manso/V8
06-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Those plastic fields smell terrible, like asphalt, on hot summer days.
I think the odor comes from the black beads.
Guess it is not a problem for the regular season games played at night.
I have been to some stinky 7on7 games though.

bird_fan
06-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Im sure glad Sweeny is expanding their Visitors side it Got crowed back when El Campo came there to play

buckeyebob
06-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Very nice but you don't expect many visitors to show up do you?

The angle in photo does not show the Visitor Side very well...handles most games (Kilgore is a problem)...need to go on to the Goal Line w/ bleachers on the north side & add to the bathrooms...we are not very good hosts...a trip to Buckeye Stadium is generally not a pleasant experience for most visitors...they sit on the east side with sun in their eyes & a Buckeye in your face...oh well...we have to travel to such confortable digs like Daingerfield, Hederson, Prestonwood, etc...not many care about the Visitor Side comfort.

buckeyebob
06-22-2013, 08:19 AM
The state probably doesn't take as much from Tatum or Carthage as they do Port Isabel. It's not the same amount per school. It's dependent on tax revenue for the schools. Since PIISD (Point Isabel Independent School District) is considered one of the richest school districts in the state (thanks South Padre Island!) the state takes 70% of the tax revenue the school district would normally take in.

Carthage has petroleum $$ & Tatum lignite coal $$...has something to do with debt, as I understand...float a bond electiion & build an indoor practice facility right next to the Jumbotron..."debt allows you to keep more instead of sending to State...this is what I have been led to believe...no prcticle knowledge...we only have a 7 lane track.

Bosqueville
06-22-2013, 10:14 AM
The angle in photo does not show the Visitor Side very well...handles most games (Kilgore is a problem)...need to go on to the Goal Line w/ bleachers on the north side & add to the bathrooms...we are not very good hosts...a trip to Buckeye Stadium is generally not a pleasant experience for most visitors...they sit on the east side with sun in their eyes & a Buckeye in your face...oh well...we have to travel to such confortable digs like Daingerfield, Hederson, Prestonwood, etc...not many care about the Visitor Side comfort.

I've heard Dangerfield is a hole..

buckeyebob
06-22-2013, 05:38 PM

That is very kind...Hell Hole is more like it...visitor side is small by 2A standards...we swamp it with overflow on the grounds. if my Bux were not there, neither would I...they do have good burgers.

YTBulldogs
06-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Sure better now, then when I played there from '79-'81. Old cinder track, run down everything else. No real weight room other than a few barbells (most were plastic and concrete style weights, broken concrete from dropping) and some broken hydraulic machine in the field house. I went back a few years ago and walked around, and it looks like Cowboy Stadium compared to when I played. There are worse places than Daingerfield out there I assure you.

buckeyebob
06-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Sure better now, then when I played there from '79-'81. Old cinder track, run down everything else. No real weight room other than a few barbells (most were plastic and concrete style weights, broken concrete from dropping) and some broken hydraulic machine in the field house. I went back a few years ago and walked around, and it looks like Cowboy Stadium compared to when I played. There are worse places than Daingerfield out there I assure you.

Name three

Corn Cob
06-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Somebody needs to "fact check" this statement. I doubt very much that PI is sending 70% of their tax revenue to the state.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Somebody needs to "fact check" this statement. I doubt very much that PI is sending 70% of their tax revenue to the state.

I'll check for you! I'm pretty sure it's around 70 cents per 1 dollar. But I'll double-check for you.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Here's a few snippets I've found thus far....

From http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-12/texas-windmills-make-schools-share-with-poorer-districts.html

"Though 89 percent of the 2,575 students in the Port Isabel Independent School District are “economically disadvantaged,” the system sends $20 million a year to the state under the Robin Hood law because Gulf Coast resort property in the district classifies it as wealthy, said Superintendent Lisa Garcia. "

Also found some more info. Although the information is somewhat old (2006) it shows that in the early 2000s Port Isabel was sending 58 cents per 1 dollar to the state, and in 2006 it has gone up to 61 cents per 1 dollar. It's safe to assume that number is now higher, unfortunately I'm not having much luck finding more current information unless I make some phone calls to people "in the know" down in Port Isabel.

***EDIT*** - Ok, I found current information. Looks as though the rate went DOWN instead of up. It's currently 58 cents per 1 dollar. Though it's not the 70 cents per dollar I had heard from some other people (obviously embellished info now) the monies being taken by the state still hurt the school district tremendously. Quote is below.

"Point Isabel Independent School District (PIISD) is one of 374 Chapter 41 school districts, better known as a “wealthy or property rich” school district. This is called the "Robin Hood" legislation that takes money from the chapter 41’s or so called "rich" school districts and redistributes that wealth to other school districts - hence Robin Hood. PIISD currently sends almost 58 cents out of every tax dollar we collect back to Austin. This is a big problem for midsize school districts like ours and the resulting $17.5 million + going back this year would go a long way toward giving our students more educational opportunities.

In spite of our Chapter 41 status, PIISD has the lowest tax rate of all schools in the Valley. State wide, we are one of only 49 school districts out of 1,025 school districts, whose tax rate for M & O (maintenance & operation) is less than $1. At tax rate of .9819, that equates to having a lower tax rate than 96% of school districts in the state of Texas (based on information gathered from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts for the 2011/2012 school year, the most updated information available.) I am very proud that I, along with our board, take a very conservative fiscal approach to balancing our budget and keep our tax rate as low as we can. This is due in large part to Dr. Garcia and our Chief Financial Officer Mr. Henry LeVrier, who has done an outstanding job for the school district and community. The hiring of the superintendent is one of the key, if not the most important duty of the Board of Trustees (Primary Functions of Board of Trustees)."

Corn Cob
06-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Tarpon, that sounds more like it. Thanks for the fact check. I didn't think there was anyway PI was sending 70% to the state. 58% is much more believable.

Bosqueville
06-22-2013, 11:33 PM
That is very kind...Hell Hole is more like it...visitor side is small by 2A standards...we swamp it with overflow on the grounds. if my Bux were not there, neither would I...they do have good burgers.

With all of their football success you would think there would be a little more pride. I'm assuming its very low income.

Cam
06-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Old Farts are the bomb...GHS Class of '66...you too will be one if you are fortunate.

Fortunate??....with my high blood pressure?....Doubt it!.....I ain't that far behind you ya know!.....Class of 79.....but I'll never be an ol' fart....technically yes, but not mentally!!..;)

YTBulldogs
06-23-2013, 06:16 AM
With all of their football success you would think there would be a little more pride. I'm assuming its very low income.

Lower than low. Nothing there since Lone Star Steel is nothing like it once was.

YTBulldogs
06-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Name three

Pearsall, Smithville, Poteet, Bloomington - to name a few.

Old Green
06-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Why?

You know, for Port Isabel to be considered one of the richest school districts in the state, we sure don't look it. Thanks a lot, Robin Hood Act.....Cuero is spending the money from the oil, because it has been declared a Chapter 41 District. Spending the money supposedly will allow the district o keep a little bit more of it's revenue's. The district also declared it as an open enrollment district. The new Superintendant from Sweeny announced is also building a new goals school.

Old Green
06-23-2013, 07:19 AM
One thing the District didn't do in the stadium upgrade was expand the home side bleachers this time around. The home side could use another 1000 seats.

buckeyebob
06-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Fortunate??....with my high blood pressure?....Doubt it!.....I ain't that far behind you ya know!.....Class of 79.....but I'll never be an ol' fart....technically yes, but not mentally!!..;)

Beimg an Ol' Fart is fun...retirement...driving slow with the window down on your truck looking at the sites and young punks honk at you...senior discounts at the Chicken Express...Buckeye Orange Card (let's you in to school funtions for free)...road trip to State 7on7 & not have to worry about vacation...attending the Bux Mini-Camp during the week...a good crap in the morning is the most important thing you will do all day...life is good & a pace maker makes you feel young again.

SHSBulldog00
06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Im sure glad Sweeny is expanding their Visitors side it Got crowed back when El Campo came there to play

Although we had a down year it would be nice to play the Ricebirds again. Always a nasty hit you in the mouth kind of game. Much Respect between the two programs.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Cuero is spending the money from the oil, because it has been declared a Chapter 41 District. Spending the money supposedly will allow the district o keep a little bit more of it's revenue's. The district also declared it as an open enrollment district. The new Superintendant from Sweeny announced is also building a new goals school.

Wish there was oil in PI! Unfortunately, all PI has is tourism and some agriculture, mainly in the form of Shrimping. But even Shrimping has taken a huge hit when T.E.D's (Turtle Excluder Devices) became law. Don't get me wrong, the TED's are necessary to prevent killing turtles, but it also diminishes the amount of Shrimp brought in.

So the only "real" money maker for the area is tourism. I'm not sure if PIISD is getting any monies from it, though.

buckeyebob
06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Wish there was oil in PI! Unfortunately, all PI has is tourism and some agriculture, mainly in the form of Shrimping. But even Shrimping has taken a huge hit when T.E.D's (Turtle Excluder Devices) became law. Don't get me wrong, the TED's are necessary to prevent killing turtles, but it also diminishes the amount of Shrimp brought in.

So the only "real" money maker for the area is tourism. I'm not sure if PIISD is getting any monies from it, though.

I am just not that fond of turtles...shrimps are a whole nother thing.

bag-o-chips
06-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Navarro ISD is at this time.

https://sites.google.com/a/nisd.us/navarro-isd/home/construction-updates

Tejastrue
06-24-2013, 08:26 PM
That is awesome bags

bird_fan
06-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Although we had a down year it would be nice to play the Ricebirds again. Always a nasty hit you in the mouth kind of game. Much Respect between the two programs.

Thats for sure Actually when I knew EC was droppng I thought for sure we have Sweeny and WC in district play but we didnt it would have worked better for me driving wise since Im in Van Vleck plus it was nice not alwayS going toward Houston for playoff games I was neat playing in Victoria and Bastrop was very nice EC is 3-0 in playoff games in Victoria In 1967 the beat Seguin 21-14 in Victoria

Old Tiger
06-25-2013, 12:56 AM
La Grange football field/complex is the worst in the state IMO.

Rocket Man
06-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Yes sir. Expanded visitors bleachers like you guys did quite a few years ago - home side becomes visitors -home side back to the sun.

Sounds good, I remember when the change was done over here. It was after I graduated. Y'all stay cool, it's hot out there!!