PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new truck

regaleagle
06-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Well, I decided it was time to get a new truck....my 2007 Toyota Tundra Xtra Cab had about 150,000 miles on it after exactly 7 yrs. I got it when it hit the market in June of 06 as the "new look" Tundra with the same body style they still have. I've got to give it a gold star for no problems and being a very good value overall. I think I paid about $25k for it back then(it listed for $30+k) and I got back $8K in real trade against the new Ford 250 S/C Lariat 8 ft.bed 6.2L gas I special ordered from my uncle's dealership about 6 weeks ago. Before the Tundra I had a 2002 F350 Lariat Crewcab Diesel(the good one) with an 8 ft. bed, but this time I decided against the diesel and the Crewcab. I wanted a shorter wheelbase, and I don't really need a full back seat anymore....my son has a 2013 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab of his own now, and the Supercab has enough room in the back for golf clubs, files, or whatever else I wanna lock up. I think I will get me one of those tonneau covers this time though....the lockable ones that slide up. I got Blue Jean Metalllic with a Gold tutone along the lower bodyside and fenders. It's got the matching Adobe Leather Lariat interior...and overall its a great looking truck. I'll probably keep this one for at least 5-7 yrs. like I normally do. I've got that Sync Screen with all the stuff it does and I don't know how to work all the gizmos yet, though. If you're computer savvy like my son you can probably program so much into this thing it'll make your head swim. The guy showing me how it works at the dealership was telling me you can program a locked in speed maximum and stereo volume not to exceed certain levels if you loaned it to someone to drive, among the other many features I don't know if I'll ever need to know about, haha. But hey....I've got lots of time to figure the thing out now(hopefully), so who knows??? I might just become a driving guru one of these days, lol, lol. lol. I ordered it with only the equipment I really wanted.....the rest of the stuff came with the SuperDuty and the Lariat Level of truck. I did order my wheels the way I wanted them, but they won't let you specify your make of tire....only the wheel type and size. Overall, it rides quiet and smooth, and has lots and lots of power with that 6.2L gas bigblock engine. Heck, it's only gonna get 12 mpg, but at this juncture, I don't give a #%$#. I want a real truck before they change em up again. I did get factory $$$3000.00$$$ after my sale price from my uncle at invoice....so I can't complain. It was about $45K on the sticker, I bought it for just under $41K, then got the $8000 for my Tundra, then the $3000 from Ford, then put down about $8169 to finance an even $25K after T,T, & L with a very low interest rate(2.75) while the gittin' was good. I don't know how much longer the rates are gonna stay low. SO....I got the truck I wanted at a cheap price & rate NOW....before something happened to the Tundra that would take that gold star away.

regaleagle
06-20-2013, 02:48 AM
So if you figure the cost of just the Tundra over 7 yrs. ($25K-$8K) it only cost me a net of $17K or about $2430 per year, which breaks down to about $201/mo. for you math whizzes. I paid it off in just under 4 yrs, but over the 7 yrs. it worked out to about $200/mo.....which in today's market is probably a pretty fair number for a cost associated with driving a pretty decent vehicle with all the bells and whistles. By comparison, you take $41K on the new Ford and 7 yrs from now it'll probably be worth at least $13K, a net of $28K, which would come to about $4000/mo. over that period. This illustrates the rising cost of vehicle prices....even though this is a much more expensive truck than the Tundra was. But I looked at a similar 2013 Tundra to what I had(they hadn't changed much) and it was something like $39K sticker....Toyota's really gone up on their Tundras. The F250 was $45K but overall I think it is just a much better truck for what I need and want. I just hope it gets a gold star after 7 yrs.

Farmersfan
06-20-2013, 07:30 AM
My buddy just purchased a new F-250 King Ranch. Quite an impressive vehicle.........

MUSTANG69
06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
I work for a Ford-Lincoln dealership. I have not heard any complaints from customers about the 6.2 engine. Keep your fingers crossed. I think it is going to be a good one. I drive a F250 S/C with the long bed. I love it. I have put 3000 lbs of feed on it and barely makes it squat.

lostaussie
06-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Well, I decided it was time to get a new truck....my 2007 Toyota Tundra Xtra Cab had about 150,000 miles on it after exactly 7 yrs. I got it when it hit the market in June of 06 as the "new look" Tundra with the same body style they still have. I've got to give it a gold star for no problems and being a very good value overall. I think I paid about $25k for it back then(it listed for $30+k) and I got back $8K in real trade against the new Ford 250 S/C Lariat 8 ft.bed 6.2L gas I special ordered from my uncle's dealership about 6 weeks ago. Before the Tundra I had a 2002 F350 Lariat Crewcab Diesel(the good one) with an 8 ft. bed, but this time I decided against the diesel and the Crewcab. I wanted a shorter wheelbase, and I don't really need a full back seat anymore....my son has a 2013 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab of his own now, and the Supercab has enough room in the back for golf clubs, files, or whatever else I wanna lock up. I think I will get me one of those tonneau covers this time though....the lockable ones that slide up. I got Blue Jean Metalllic with a Gold tutone along the lower bodyside and fenders. It's got the matching Adobe Leather Lariat interior...and overall its a great looking truck. I'll probably keep this one for at least 5-7 yrs. like I normally do. I've got that Sync Screen with all the stuff it does and I don't know how to work all the gizmos yet, though. If you're computer savvy like my son you can probably program so much into this thing it'll make your head swim. The guy showing me how it works at the dealership was telling me you can program a locked in speed maximum and stereo volume not to exceed certain levels if you loaned it to someone to drive, among the other many features I don't know if I'll ever need to know about, haha. But hey....I've got lots of time to figure the thing out now(hopefully), so who knows??? I might just become a driving guru one of these days, lol, lol. lol. I ordered it with only the equipment I really wanted.....the rest of the stuff came with the SuperDuty and the Lariat Level of truck. I did order my wheels the way I wanted them, but they won't let you specify your make of tire....only the wheel type and size. Overall, it rides quiet and smooth, and has lots and lots of power with that 6.2L gas bigblock engine. Heck, it's only gonna get 12 mpg, but at this juncture, I don't give a #%$#. I want a real truck before they change em up again. I did get factory $$$3000.00$$$ after my sale price from my uncle at invoice....so I can't complain. It was about $45K on the sticker, I bought it for just under $41K, then got the $8000 for my Tundra, then the $3000 from Ford, then put down about $8169 to finance an even $25K after T,T, & L with a very low interest rate(2.75) while the gittin' was good. I don't know how much longer the rates are gonna stay low. SO....I got the truck I wanted at a cheap price & rate NOW....before something happened to the Tundra that would take that gold star away.

Well that made my head spin!!

Scoop27
06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I've never owned a truck in my life and only had to drive one when I had to when they forced me at one of my very old jobs. We couldn't get one if we even wanted as my wife's feet are bad and she couldn't step inside the cab which are so high off the ground. They are just gas guzzlers. Nothing can beat a Honda Civic which gets 35 plus mpg. My wife has a 2009 Honda Civic with 60,000 miles on it.
We never buy used cars anymore and always get the extended warranties

Saggy Aggie
06-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I've never owned a truck in my life and only had to drive one when I had to when they forced me at one of my very old jobs. We couldn't get one if we even wanted as my wife's feet are bad and she couldn't step inside the cab which are so high off the ground. They are just gas guzzlers. Nothing can beat a Honda Civic which gets 35 plus mpg. My wife has a 2009 Honda Civic with 60,000 miles on it.

Yeah except most people need to transport big things from time to time and or pull trailers. How do you do that in a civic?

I mean... If gas prices are your biggest concern, then get a Prius or a smart car. Lol

Cam
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM

I love my gas guzzlers!....Got two trucks: 1977 Ford Shortbed Styleside (a classic!) with 105K miles & a 1998 Chevy Silverado with 100K on it. But I'm a Honda fan too! Driving 120 miles daily to work and back made me get a 2008 Honda Civic. Already has 190K on it and still runnin' like new. Something to keep in mind Scoop, cause I think your car is included but not sure. At 150K my engine block cracked! I thought I was hosed until I called Honda and they told me there was a recall due to a manufacturers defect. Apparently, some engine blocks are cracking. Mine did and I got a new block at no cost! So, I'm happy...Oh, and it's an unlimited mileage recall.

and don't get a Prius...that's an ugly ass car!

Saggy Aggie
06-20-2013, 12:26 PM
and don't get a Prius...that's an ugly ass car!
lol if hes worried about gas mileage, there are much better cars is all im saying.

For example that new diesel Volkswagen bug... i think it gets more than 50 haha...

you wouldnt catch me in one of those, but scoop... never know.

Cam
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
....I hear ya!....shoot!....I know all about that!....I got a 1979 VW Bug Convertible...baby blue too!.....while living in Dallas, I went scootin' around in it and came up on 3 hoodlum lookin' cats walkin' the streets. Ya know the type, they were wearin' long white socks, baggy shorts, and white muscle t-shirts (without the muscles). Anyway, they yelled at me in Spanish......something about being gay (that nasty word, "joto")......course back then, I was probably a little more sensitive to verbal attacks, so I went around the block and came up on them again, gave em' a big ol' smile and flicked my tongue at em' in a very erotic manner!.....Hit the gas and left that neighborhood as quickly as that ol' bug would let me!...I could hear em' yellin' but the engine "ROAR" :spitlol: of that bug drowned them out!.....:crazy1:....

Manso/V8
06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
So if you figure the cost of just the Tundra over 7 yrs. ($25K-$8K) it only cost me a net of $17K or about $2430 per year, which breaks down to about $201/mo. for you math whizzes. I paid it off in just under 4 yrs, but over the 7 yrs. it worked out to about $200/mo.....which in today's market is probably a pretty fair number for a cost associated with driving a pretty decent vehicle with all the bells and whistles. By comparison, you take $41K on the new Ford and 7 yrs from now it'll probably be worth at least $13K, a net of $28K, which would come to about $4000/mo. over that period. This illustrates the rising cost of vehicle prices....even though this is a much more expensive truck than the Tundra was. But I looked at a similar 2013 Tundra to what I had(they hadn't changed much) and it was something like $39K sticker....Toyota's really gone up on their Tundras. The F250 was $45K but overall I think it is just a much better truck for what I need and want. I just hope it gets a gold star after 7 yrs.

......and I imagine since you probably use that truck in your business you probably were able to write off a good chunk of mileage, or the annual depecriation and maintanence costs, which means a chunk of that $200/mo was paid with pre-tax dollars. Not a paid deal at all.
The Tundras sure look good, but I don't like the handling or "road feel" of them as well as the GM and Ford trucks......just my preference.

regaleagle
06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I tried that Tundra cuz it was built in San Antonio and had a good record on the V-8 engine....and I got it with an 8 ft. bed in the SR-5 Package in that Bright Blue color that was in all the ads for that new intro in mid-summer back then. It was Road & Track's Truck of the Year, and I must admit it has been a good-un. I was one of the first in the Dallas area driving one, and got compliments on that truck even when it was 5 yrs. old. Not that many of them are around that have the longbed and longer wheelbase like this one did. I found it at the Toyota dealership in Lewisville, and it had exactly the equipment I was looking for. But my Ford Diesels(97 F250 & 2002 F350) were far superior in truck terms. Never had an issues with either of those two either. So now I'm back to Ford after making a jaunt into the Toyota Truck market for 7 yrs. If you just want a good dependable pickup, the Tundra will do the job. The mileage on a Tundra was always about 14 on the highway with that small V-8, so it wasn't anything gasmileagewise to make a difference, really. The diesels did get about 18 mpg, but you pay more for the diesel fuel, the oil changes, the maintenence, and the engine($8000 option), so you need to keep it for like 12 yrs+++ to make it pay.