PDA

View Full Version : Edna SQT Pools

Matthew328
06-17-2013, 02:44 PM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=797&tid=165015843&mid=165015843&sid=984&style=2

maestro
06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
When is this taking place?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-17-2013, 03:08 PM
June 22nd and Matt, what does the * on Edna signify?

Matthew328
06-17-2013, 03:15 PM
It means Edna has alread qualified

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-17-2013, 03:17 PM
It means Edna has alread qualified

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks Matt

BEAST
06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
June 22nd and Matt, what does the * on Edna signify?

The * means that team has already qualified for state and cant move past pool play.

BEAST

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I see there are only 2 pools. What will the format be, then? Top team from each pool plays in a championship game and both qualify for State?

Matthew328
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
No, the top two teams in each pool advance to the semis..

A1 plays B2; B1 plays A2

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Port Isabel and Yoakum qualified

YTBulldogs
06-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Final

Yoakum 33
PI 27

Both advance to state.

maestro
06-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Anyone have the individual game results for this event?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyone have the individual game results for this event?

I only recall the Port Isabel scores.

Port Isabel 63, Tidehaven 14
Port Isabel 34, Wharton 20
Port Isabel 26, Edna 26
Port Isabel 54, Palacios 7 (Semi-Final)
Yoakum 33, Port Isabel 27 (Championship)

I believe in the other Semi-Final it was Yoakum 27, Wharton 14 (not 100% on that score)

Port Isabel did not want to play the championship game, since both teams qualified there was no need to play the game. This request is usually granted to help prevent any possible injuries and get the kids out of the heat. But oddly, the Edna officials wouldn't allow a coin flip and they were forced to play the final game. I thought that was very strange....I did notice the Edna coach still lingering around watching PI and Yoakum play. I'm guessing he was the one that made the call to play the final in case of the chance PI or Yoakum end up in a pool with Edna at the State Tournament. That's the only thing I can think of.

BEAST
06-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I only recall the Port Isabel scores.

Port Isabel 63, Tidehaven 14
Port Isabel 34, Wharton 20
Port Isabel 26, Edna 26
Port Isabel 54, Palacios 7 (Semi-Final)
Yoakum 33, Port Isabel 27 (Championship)

I believe in the other Semi-Final it was Yoakum 27, Wharton 14 (not 100% on that score)

Port Isabel did not want to play the championship game, since both teams qualified there was no need to play the game. This request is usually granted to help prevent any possible injuries and get the kids out of the heat. But oddly, the Edna officials wouldn't allow a coin flip and they were forced to play the final game. I thought that was very strange....I did notice the Edna coach still lingering around watching PI and Yoakum play. I'm guessing he was the one that made the call to play the final in case of the chance PI or Yoakum end up in a pool with Edna at the State Tournament. That's the only thing I can think of.

Why did PI and Edna not go to OT?

BEAST

Matthew328
06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Why did PI and Edna not go to OT?

BEAST

Edna already had qualified, game was pointless....

BEAST
06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Edna already had qualified, game was pointless....

I get that. But since they forced a final game I thought that was odd.

BEAST

Matthew328
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I get that. But since they forced a final game I thought that was odd.

BEAST

forcing the final game was odd

My guess is since this was their first time hosting they were a little unsure of the rules and didnt want to risk screwing something up and not getting the tournament back next year so they played that one hyper safe

BEAST
06-24-2013, 10:12 AM

My guess is since this was their first time hosting they were a little unsure of the rules and didnt want to risk screwing something up and not getting the tournament back next year so they played that one hyper safe

I gotcha. I wasnt aware that this was there first year hosting. That makes more sense.

BEAST

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-24-2013, 01:29 PM

They forced the Championship game, but did not make Wharton & Palacios play each other for the 3rd place game (to clinch an "Alternate" spot in case PI or Yoakum can't go). That's something else to consider.

YTBulldogs
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
They forced the Championship game, but did not make Wharton & Palacios play each other for the 3rd place game (to clinch an "Alternate" spot in case PI or Yoakum can't go). That's something else to consider.

I think Palacios already qualified. Not sure, and I don't know of Wharton's status.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I think Palacios already qualified. Not sure, and I don't know of Wharton's status.

No, neither of them have qualified in previous tournament. The only one that had already qualified was Edna.

YTBulldogs
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
No, neither of them have qualified in previous tournament. The only one that had already qualified was Edna.

O, ok. I thought they qualified in their own tourney the week prior. Not that big a deal anyways.

YTBulldogs
06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Just checked with our Coach. He said, the 7on7 rules now state, the championship game has to be played, to qualify for state, from this tournament. Both teams played subs mostly he said. Guess that's how they avoided that injury risk, you had concerns of in prior post.

BEAST
06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Just checked with our Coach. He said, the 7on7 rules now state, the championship game has to be played, to qualify for state, from this tournament. Both teams played subs mostly he said. Guess that's how they avoided that injury risk, you had concerns of in prior post.

Just at that tourney? They dont get played at most SQT's.

BEAST

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-24-2013, 02:53 PM

That can't be right. At one of the Div 1 tournaments (5A/4A teams) the weekend before, in Calallen, two Valley teams made it to the Championship game. Both teams chose to do a coin flip to determine the champion, and were not forced to play the final game. Both have qualified for the State Tournament from their wins in the Semi-Finals.

I don't understand how "7on7 rules now state, the championship game has to be played to qualify for state FROM THIS TOURNAMENT" when both Port Isabel and Yoakum have both already qualified for the State Tournament by virtue of their wins in the Semi-Finals. I'm not sure on the logic behind that.

Matthew328
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
That can't be right. At one of the Div 1 tournaments (5A/4A teams) the weekend before, in Calallen, two Valley teams made it to the Championship game. Both teams chose to do a coin flip to determine the champion, and were not forced to play the final game. Both have qualified for the State Tournament from their wins in the Semi-Finals.

I don't understand how "7on7 rules now state, the championship game has to be played to qualify for state FROM THIS TOURNAMENT" when both Port Isabel and Yoakum have both already qualified for the State Tournament by virtue of their wins in the Semi-Finals. I'm not sure on the logic behind that.

Someone was given bad info, I've been to 7 SQTs this year (ran 2) and not a single one has played a championship game...looking at the rules right now and there's no such rule that says the championship game has to be played

Springtown
Snyder
Alpine
Plano West
Wylie
Tyler
Arington Bowie

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Someone was given bad info, I've been to 7 SQTs this year (ran 2) and not a single one has played a championship game...looking at the rules right now and there's no such rule that says the championship game has to be played

Springtown
Snyder
Alpine
Plano West
Wylie
Tyler
Arington Bowie

I don't think the Yoakum coach had anything to do with it. The Port Isabel coach spoke to the Edna officials about wanting to flip a coin. They consulted with some people in the press box (which included Edna's coach btw) and the decision was made to play the game. The only thing I can think of, Matt, was the Edna officials forced the championship game to be played for scouting purposes in case PI and/or Yoakum end up in a pool with Edna at state.

BEAST
06-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't think the Yoakum coach had anything to do with it. The Port Isabel coach spoke to the Edna officials about wanting to flip a coin. They consulted with some people in the press box (which included Edna's coach btw) and the decision was made to play the game. The only thing I can think of, Matt, was the Edna officials forced the championship game to be played for scouting purposes in case PI and/or Yoakum end up in a pool with Edna at state.

That is absolutely crazy if that is the case. Scouting in 7 on 7? Good grief.

BEAST

Matthew328
06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm a little skeptical on the scouting...my guess is there was just a misinterpretation of the rules on the Edna folks part

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
That is absolutely crazy if that is the case. Scouting in 7 on 7? Good grief.

BEAST

Don't get me wrong, I don't like playing "consipracy theorist" or anything like that. (This is my eyewitness account, as I was present for this) I do know that the PI coach spoke directly with an Edna coach after the Semi-Final game against Palacios. (I had gone down to the field to congratulate the coach, who I know personally, and the team). I did not see or notice anyone from Edna consult with Yoakum's coach at all. They were all off to the side re-hydrating and resting up after their game against Wharton. The decision came from someone up in the pressbox (I'm guessing an actual official running the tournament) and with that person in the pressbox was someone who looked very much like Edna's 7on7 coach.

I thought the whole situation seemed a little shady. I think even Yoakum's players were surprised that they were being made to play again, as their players were speaking to the PI players about the situation immediately after the decision came down for them to play the game. They seemed just as confused as the Port Isabel players were!

FB-fanatic
06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't go along with any conspiracy theories on this. 7v7 State is not really thrilled with teams decisions not to play final games; just feel it creates a since of less reputable when final is not played. Locals may have gotten that "feeling" from State Board... local tournement directors perogitive to insist on final game. Technically doesn't "hurt" anything to require final game. Fairly certain on this one - next year games will be required to be played out.

Matthew328
06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
if they put a rule in...everyone will do it....but until the rule is put in, teams will opt out....

YTBulldogs
06-24-2013, 10:06 PM
All I know, we were told we had to play if we wanted to qualify. So, we played. Edna had several scouting games prior to that. So, not sure it was a scouting issue. We do play Edna in non-district and they already know what we have and don't have coming back. Both teams are vanilla, preparing for district openers. No surprises.

I agree, to keep 7on7 legit, and avoid any issues like this, play the finals.