PDA

View Full Version : At a loss and need to vent !!

bulldog82
06-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Attended the SQT in Sonora today, And I don't know what to say about the officials. First had to wait for them to show up. Late, then one team there did not have complete uniforms, some without numbers others completely different color shirts. Players playing without mouth pieces, then the calls or should I say no calls. Which is it can you jam them at line of scrimmage or not. If the ref has to say let him go constantly then its probably a hold! once there was a push off on a jump ball , coaches were hollering PI , ref said it wasn't his call 49 yards on other side of field, Really! PI is PI. Then going thru the receiver, I'm surprised nobody was injured for the ruling of "that's good defense" So now im sure ill get bashed for complaining, Sonora handed us our a** , and we were embarrassed with the result. But really felt homered on top of that . But ask Fredericksburg how they felt they got treated in their semi final .

Matthew328
06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Happens sometimes in SQTs..esp out in the middle of nowhere like that...hard to find officials who know the rules

BwdLion73
06-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Happens sometimes in SQTs..esp out in the middle of nowhere like that...hard to find officials who know the rules

Middle of nowhere?...Welcome to flyover country in 3A.

Matthew328
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Sonora for officials is out there....they use the San Angelo chapter and its still a pretty good drive from there....not going to get your more seasoned guys to come out there for 25 bucks per game..

Additup
06-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Attended the SQT in Sonora today, And I don't know what to say about the officials. First had to wait for them to show up. Late, then one team there did not have complete uniforms, some without numbers others completely different color shirts. Players playing without mouth pieces, then the calls or should I say no calls. Which is it can you jam them at line of scrimmage or not. If the ref has to say let him go constantly then its probably a hold! once there was a push off on a jump ball , coaches were hollering PI , ref said it wasn't his call 49 yards on other side of field, Really! PI is PI. Then going thru the receiver, I'm surprised nobody was injured for the ruling of "that's good defense" So now im sure ill get bashed for complaining, Sonora handed us our a** , and we were embarrassed with the result. But really felt homered on top of that . But ask Fredericksburg how they felt they got treated in their semi final .

7 on 7 kids/parents/coaches complain more than AAU basketball kids/parents/coaches. Official's hands are tied with 4 seconds of no touchy anybody - offensive guys initiate contact or push off and nothing gets called so defenders start grabbing which turns into pushing and shoving. Saw a DB with inside leverage break under a slant last week and he got called for PI because of contact even though he got to the ball first and the receiver ran over the DB.

too much opinion involved in determining who initiated the touching/bumping/grabbing/pushing/shoving when 5 guys are running mesh route crossers and rubs between 7 defenders for 3 to 4 mississippi's

our touch football games run smoother without officials - kinda like calling your own fouls in basketball.

Gone Fishing
06-16-2013, 07:31 PM
A lot of coaches might opt not to play 7 on 7 for these reasons and other reasons, (ie. injuries, non skill players feel left out, a lot of players playing when no way in hell they will see the field in the fall, etc) BUT coaches can get criticized for not having a "good program if they dont participate in the 7 on 7 so they do.. I went to every one of my sons league play games, qualifying tournaments and state tournaments and enjoyed it as a fan, but wondering really now if its worth all the time, money, and chances that are taken for injury. 7 on 7 does not make a program, just look at past champions and or how many teams that go deep in the state tournament that are not that great in the "real" game....just saying.

Matthew328
06-16-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm assuming you haven't looked at the recent list of 7 on 7 State Champions

Div. I
2012: Plano
2011: DeSoto
2010: Lake Travis
2009: Round Rock Stony Point

Div. II
2012: Celina
2011: Melissa
2010: Brownwood
2009: Celina

Generally speaking teams who do well in 7 on 7 do well at real football, not saying its because of 7 on 7 but there is a big misconception out there that most teams who are good at 7 on 7 aren't good at real football.

Kids want to be active and play, its in their nature if you don't play or coach em they'll play basketball, baseball etc. in the summer. In the cities especially if you don't play 7 on 7 for your school, its likely travel teams will pop up etc....(they already are but because of the system in Texas it hasn't taken hold here...THANK GOD)

7 on 7 is an incredibly hard game to officiate because its an offense oriented game, if you let too much chucking etc go on you will have fights because kids will get frustrated and it'll escalate. Coaches TECHNICALLY aren't supposed to be directly involved so you've got to do what you can with the rules to try and eliminate that...thus it makes for a tough game to officiate.

There are benefits to playing in SQTs and there's downside...its up to the individual coach to determine if the good outweighs the bad...IMO it does but I understand the opposing point of view...

Gone Fishing
06-16-2013, 08:16 PM
As I said I like it as a fan and a dad. Very glad WT always played. I just wonder how many coaches love it. We were at the state tournament the last 3 years and I loved it. Nothing beats last year!! Done now, but will go watch the Wimberley qualifier to start getting a feel for the Texans this year.