PDA

View Full Version : Astros sign #1 pick mark appel

Saggy Aggie
06-15-2013, 01:05 PM
And sources are saying it's for roughly 1.5 million less than allotted amount so that gives Houston a ton of flexibility financially for their other top 10 picks :))

speedbump
06-15-2013, 02:41 PM
And sources are saying it's for roughly 1.5 million less than allotted amount so that gives Houston a ton of flexibility financially for their other top 10 picks :))

No they haven't.

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow wouldn't confirm the report Saturday, saying in a text message nothing had changed in the past 24 hours. Luhnow said Friday the club planned to engage Appel next week, after he graduates from Stanford on Sunday.

"I'm hopeful we can move quickly once we start [the] dialogue, but there is no timeframe yet," Luhnow wrote.

Saggy Aggie
06-15-2013, 03:50 PM
No they haven't.

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow wouldn't confirm the report Saturday, saying in a text message nothing had changed in the past 24 hours. Luhnow said Friday the club planned to engage Appel next week, after he graduates from Stanford on Sunday.

"I'm hopeful we can move quickly once we start [the] dialogue, but there is no timeframe yet," Luhnow wrote.

Well tell that to CBS sports.

I'm just relaying what they reported. They said there's a deal in place for just over 6 mil

Saggy Aggie
06-15-2013, 03:53 PM
And MLB.com is also relaying the same CBS sports article.

He hasn't signed yet, but he's agreed and even the Astros best writer tweeted that its all but a done deal

speedbump
06-15-2013, 04:44 PM
And MLB.com is also relaying the same CBS sports article.

He hasn't signed yet, but he's agreed and even the Astros best writer tweeted that its all but a done deal

"All but a done deal" with Boras representing Appel, could mean three days or three months. Then,when he does sign, if it's a million and a half below slot I'll just have to eat my hat.

Saggy Aggie
06-15-2013, 05:23 PM
"All but a done deal" with Boras representing Appel, could mean three days or three months. Then,when he does sign, if it's a million and a half below slot I'll just have to eat my hat.

Well appel doesn't have much leverage considering he's a senior. He has no choice but to sign basically.

I expect that his name will be on the dotted line by Monday and it'll be sognicantly below 7.8 mil

Scoop27
06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Sign or no sign it won't that be that big of deal as he will be lost in the Astros Farm system like the others

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Sign or no sign it won't that be that big of deal as he will be lost in the Astros Farm system like the others

Lol do you have any idea what you're talking about? Apparently not

Also, not sure how I managed to screw up the spelling that bad on 'significantly'...

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey speedbump.... http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/15/astros-mark-appel-bonus/

"still finalizing details, but the bonus will be 6.35 million"

1.44 million less than the slotted amount. Appel expected to sign early this week.

Tejastrue
06-16-2013, 01:55 PM

There will be a whole new approach and philosophy with Ryan at the helm.

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 06:08 PM

I have no idea what scoop is referring to anyways???

All of the Astros too prospects are graduating through the minors. If you want an example, look no further than today. Astros #1 prospect, 1B Johnathan Singleton, just got promoted to AAA

speedbump
06-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Yep. Like I said earlier, we will now be a farm club of the Rangers instead of the Phillies.

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Yep. Like I said earlier, we will now be a farm club of the Rangers instead of the Phillies.

Lol you call yourself an Astros fan with an attitude like that?

You're not excited about singleton, springer, deshields, correa, appel, McCullers, Cosart, Ruiz, etc? Or do you not know who those guys are?

Astros are already better than they were the last 2 years and are only getting better from this point on. In fact, they're above .500 over their last month.

Astros will probably win around 70 games next year and will be .500 or do in 2015... From there on... Who knows

speedbump
06-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Lol you call yourself an Astros fan with an attitude like that?
You're not excited about singleton, springer, deshields, correa, appel, McCullers, Cosart, Ruiz, etc? Or do you not know who those guys are?

I remember listening to the first game the Colt 45s ever played. I was a Buffs fan before that and I've seen hundreds of minor leaguers come and go and the huge majority never make the big show. I'm sure you were excited about Wallace, Peredes , and JD too. LOL

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I was a bit excited about Wallace and he disappointed me, but JD and paredes were never highly ranked prospects.

The last prospect I was truly excited about was pence. I was cautiously optimistic about Castro and he seems to be panning out pretty well.

The fact that the minor league system has gone from dead last to top 5 is exactly what the Astros needed.

Idc if you've been a fan of the Astros for 50 years, anybody with a brain can see they're obviously headed in the right direction.

speedbump
06-16-2013, 09:03 PM
I was a bit excited about Wallace and he disappointed me, but JD and paredes were never highly ranked prospects.

The last prospect I was truly excited about was pence. I was cautiously optimistic about Castro and he seems to be panning out pretty well.

The fact that the minor league system has gone from dead last to top 5 is exactly what the Astros needed.

Idc if you've been a fan of the Astros for 50 years, anybody with a brain can see they're obviously headed in the right direction.

From "dead last" to anywhere is the right direction. How could it not be. Anybody with a brain could see that too. I'll let you know when these minor leaguers are in Houston and winning.

Weebe
06-16-2013, 09:10 PM
You don't know much about baseball or the Astros minor league system if you don't think there are some really good prospects down there.

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
You don't know much about baseball or the Astros minor league system if you don't think there are some really good prospects down there.

Exactly. speed bump has just got his head so far up his ass that there's no way he can see the Astros are going to be improving at the major league level very soon. The fact that the Astros minor league affiliates had the best combined record last year (and so far this year) should tell you plenty. Oh and 6 top 100 prospects...

Weebe
06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, it's almost impossible to have some goo prospects in the minor leagues wen you have high picks every year.

I'm not sure Singleton will be a star however. Strikes out a lot and hasn't hit for a great average. I can't imagine that improving when he reaches the majors.

I think Springer will be the guy they build around. He is a 5 tool guy.

speedbump
06-16-2013, 09:29 PM

When did I say their weren't. I've spent 51 years following the Astros and the game of baseball. I guess I'm just too far along to pee in my pants over every wanna be like the tballers do.

speedbump
06-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Exactly. speed bump has just got his head so far up his ass that there's no way he can see the Astros are going to be improving at the major league level very soon. The fact that the Astros minor league affiliates had the best combined record last year (and so far this year) should tell you plenty. Oh and 6 top 100 prospects...

ROTFLMAO - Where were you in 2004 or 2005? Don't remember exactly which but at the AS break they had the best record in the minors too. Finished second at the end of the year. When you pull your head out of your ass you will realize that stuff means nothing. If you knew squat about baseball you would know moving to AAA isn't always a promotion. It's full of slugs like Wallace and worn out vets hanging on in case of an injury to one of the guys on the big club. Get t-ball figured out before you try telling me about the Houston Asros or MLB.

Weebe
06-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Sounds like someone is in need of a diaper change.

Weebe
06-16-2013, 09:52 PM
ROTFLMAO - Where were you in 2004 or 2005? Don't remember exactly which but at the AS break they had the best record in the minors too. Finished second at the end of the year. When you pull your head out of your ass you will realize that stuff means nothing. If you knew squat about baseball you would know moving to AAA isn't always a promotion. It's full of slugs like Wallace and worn out vets hanging on in case of an injury to one of the guys on the big club. Get t-ball figured out before you try telling me about the Houston Asros or MLB.

If you knew anything about Singleton, you would know they didn't move him to AAA because he is a "slug".

Saggy Aggie
06-16-2013, 09:55 PM

I never said anything about the AAA club. OKC isnt important. its a stepping stone and a place for washed up vets. not denying that at all, but the most important club, CC, has the best record in AA.... But yeah... That's probably not important either.

The Astros Minor league affiliates being loaded with talent compared to years past doesn't mean anything? Okay...

speedbump
06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
If you knew anything about Singleton, you would know they didn't move him to AAA because he is a "slug".

When did I say he was?

Tejastrue
06-17-2013, 01:00 PM

I think the Rangers' farm clubs are doing just fine on their own. I see the Ryan connection being more of an asset than a hindrance and I believe you'll see that in the next few years. It appears the mindset has already started to change, judging how the team has been playing the past month. JMO though...

speedbump
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Tejastrue;1747595]I think the Rangers' farm clubs are doing just fine on their own. I see the Ryan connection being more of an asset than a hindrance and I believe you'll see that in the next few years. It appears the mindset has already started to change, judging how the team has been playing the past month. JMO though...[/QUOT

It certainly makes more sense to have a guy that grew up in the world of MLB as opposed to the basketball guy he replaced. I guess my problem is the memory of Tal Smith and his GM son in Detroit and Ed Wade and his beloved Phillies. Ryans first order of business was the TV deal that pushed Postolos out the door. So far the results are no better. Considering how it has started with an owner that couldn't really afford a Major league team,this organization may well have more problems than Ryan and Luhnow can fix.

Saggy Aggie
06-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Time to eat your hat

speedbump
06-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Time to eat your hat

Hmmmm - I said three days to three months because they were dealing with Boras. It's been FOUR days. I added if he signs for a million and a half
under slot I would eat my hat. The terms haven't been disclosed so I recommend that while I wait to see if I need to eat my hat,you work on your reading comprehension.

Saggy Aggie
06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Hmmmm - I said three days to three months because they were dealing with Boras. It's been FOUR days. I added if he signs for a million and a half
under slot I would eat my hat. The terms haven't been disclosed so I recommend that while I wait to see if I need to eat my hat,you work on your reading comprehension.

Yeah, and all I said was time to eat your hat. I said nothing about time period in my most recent post, not that one day really makes any difference.

Terms havent been disclosed... but we know what the number will be. Dont be bitter... just eat your hat :)

Scoop27
06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I doubt I will live long enough to see the Astros make it to the World Series again. I was lucky to make it to one of the games in 2005 and will never forget that experience. I wish them the best of luck with whoever plays for them. Guess we just need to have some patience. The hardest thing is not being able to see them on TV anymore even though they are not doing good this year

speedbump
06-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Yeah, and all I said was time to eat your hat. I said nothing about time period in my most recent post, not that one day really makes any difference.

Terms havent been disclosed... but we know what the number will be. Dont be bitter... just eat your hat :)

... and I explained to you why it isn't time to eat my hat. Believe me, I'll let you know when and if it's time.

"we know what the number will be" - We do? Gee did Luhnow call you or was it the same birdie that told you he signed four days ago?

Saggy Aggie
06-19-2013, 05:26 PM
... and I explained to you why it isn't time to eat my hat. Believe me, I'll let you know when and if it's time.

"we know what the number will be" - We do? Gee did Luhnow call you or was it the same birdie that told you he signed four days ago?

Lol I knew he didn't sign 4 days ago, I was driving when I started the thread so It was easier to say he signed rather than he agreed to terms and would sign early next week but ehhh... I knew he would sign so I didn't care/expect some asshole to nitpick my wording.

6.35 million or thereabouts...

speedbump
06-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Lol I knew he didn't sign 4 days ago, I was driving when I started the thread so It was easier to say he signed rather than he agreed to terms and would sign early next week but ehhh... I knew he would sign so I didn't care/expect some asshole to nitpick my wording.

6.35 million or thereabouts...

Everybody knew he WOULD sign. " Astros sign #1 pick mark appel" ( 25 characters) "Appel close to signing" (19 characters) Nice try though.

Saggy Aggie
06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Everybody knew he WOULD sign. " Astros sign #1 pick mark appel" ( 25 characters) "Appel close to signing" (19 characters) Nice try though.

LOL, are you really that anal about it? Like I said... I was driving... I didn't count characters.... Lmao. I titled the thread exactly what the article I read was titled because it was easy and got the point across.... Or maybe it said they agreed to a deal. Not really sure because I was driving and just trying to get the point across to my fellow downlow Astros fans.

I'll be sure to be a little more thorough next time so ole speed bump doesn't get his panties in a wad over a technicality :)

Saggy Aggie
06-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Hey speedbump, have you checked to see what Appel's bonus was? It wasn't 6.35 million was it?

Saggy Aggie
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Speed bump, did we ever figure out what the bonus was??? Wasn't 6.35 mil was it?

Also, Astros have the most top 50 prospects in all of baseball (5)... Team with the 2nd most is the cards (4).... But yeah... We've all seen highly rated prospects who didn't do crap before huh?

speedbump
06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Speed bump, did we ever figure out what the bonus was??? Wasn't 6.35 mil was it?

Also, Astros have the most top 50 prospects in all of baseball (5)... Team with the 2nd most is the cards (4).... But yeah... We've all seen highly rated prospects who didn't do crap before huh?

His bonus will show up on Cot's baseball contracts eventually. Then we will know. I don't get excited about minor leaguer rankings. When the top 50 major leaguers include more Houston Astros than anybody else THEN I'll get excited.

Saggy Aggie
06-27-2013, 03:42 PM
His bonus will show up on Cot's baseball contracts eventually. Then we will know. I don't get excited about minor leaguer rankings. When the top 50 major leaguers include more Houston Astros than anybody else THEN I'll get excited.

Yeah... Wouldn't wanna be optimistic