PDA

View Full Version : GHFCA/Bayou All-Star Game Articles in the Houston Chronicle and Galveston Daily News

CTS
06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Football all-star game will feature players from smaller schools
HOUSTON CHRONICLE

If St. Pius X graduate Kenneth Danna weren't playing in the first Greater Houston Football Coaches Association Bowl, he probably would have spent this week lounging at a friend's house, watching TV.

Instead, he practiced, stayed lean and prepared for Friday's all-star game at Huffman Hargrave High School, which pits private-school players against their counterparts from Houston's smaller public schools.

"It's nice to have one more opportunity to strap on the pads and go out there one last time, because I thought I was done playing football a couple months ago," the defensive back said. "To have this opportunity is cool, and to play against public schools is an opportunity you don't always get."

Most of these players wouldn't have had the opportunity to play in an all-star showcase before this year.

The Texas roster for Saturday's Bayou Bowl showdown with Louisiana, which also is sponsored by the GHFCA, includes two Class 3A players - La Marque's Lawrence Montegut Jr. and Bellville's Kamm Coker.

The other 34 players are from local 5A and 4A schools.

"It's a really big deal to me," said Hargrave's Preston Townley, who will quarterback the 3A-and-under team before walking on at Stephen F. Austin.

"One of the first things I thought of was, it's the inaugural bowl, so that's special. And then the next thing is that it's going to be played at my home stadium, and that in itself is such a cool deal."

La Marque coach Mike Jackson came up with the idea of pitting small schools against private schools in a game complementing the Bayou Bowl two years ago while presiding over the GHFCA.

The process began in earnest in spring of 2012, with Jackson, Tarkington coach Brandon Carpenter (the small schools coach) and St. Pius coach Blake Ware (the private schools coach) taking the lead.

"I don't know, if you look back, how many (small school) kids were ever voted into (the Bayou Bowl), because, quite naturally, most of the kids are going to come from your 4A and 5A programs," Jackson said.

"So this game came about as a way to get more of our smaller schools and private schools involved (in the GHFCA) but also … as a game for that kid who's maybe not going to go play Division I football - maybe he's not 6-3, 230 and runs a 4.5, but he plays everything, he loves the sport of football, and he would represent your program and your community in a positive way."

The response has been good, Jackson said.

They don't have the El Campo or Navasota players they wanted, but the 57 players selected represent schools from Kashmere, Coldspring and Columbia to Episcopal, St. Thomas and Strake Jesuit.

And the best part? They will be on TV.

KUBE will broadcast the 7 p.m. game live.

"We're pumped about it," Danna said. "We're like, 'Oh, we've never played any public schools before, (and) we're ready to whip up on them.' So we'll go out there and give it our best shot.

"I know the public-school players are probably looking down on us, like we don't have a chance. But everybody on our team thinks we have a great shot."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GALVESTON DAILY NEWS
BAYTOWN — Seven Galveston County players are going to get the chance to buckle up for one last game of high school football.

The Greater Houston Football Coaches Association will unveil its inaugural summer bowl game 7 p.m. today at Falcon Stadium, 25437 Willy Lane, in Huffman, and the 11th edition of the Bayou Bowl will be at 7 p.m. Saturday at Stallworth Stadium, 2509 East Archer Road, in Baytown.

The Bayou Bowl will be televised on KTRK Channel 13, while the GHFCA Bowl will air on KUBE Channel 57.
The Bayou Bowl pits all-stars from the greater Houston area against a group from Louisiana.
Two Galveston County players are scheduled to see action in that game. Matthew Cody of Clear Springs, who has committed to play for Mary Hardin-Baylor, will line up at linebacker, while La Marque’s Lawrence Montegut, who is headed for the University of Texas-El Paso, will do some damage at defensive end.
The workouts for the game have been broiling.
“It’s hot, but it’s for something I love to do,” Montegut said. “I’ll take this heat any day to do something I love to do.”
The defensive end is also looking to make one last splash.
“I’m ready to come out and give it my all before I go off to college,” he said.
Cody is more than a little surprised he was tabbed for the all-star game.
“I never thought I’d be out here with these guys. They are all 6-foot and then there’s little old me just chilling out here.”
Cody stands 5 foot, 91⁄4 inches.
“But in playing shoes, I’m about 5-10,” he said.
The linebacker said the game will be a physical one.
“It’s building up for Saturday and it’s going to be a war out here,” Cody said. “It’s going to be exciting.”
Still, he predicts a Texas victory.
“I think we’re going to have an easy win,” he grinned. “It’s going to be a good warm-up for college. I figure we’ll go out there and dominate and win by 60 or 70.”
The GHFCA Bowl is limited to players from smaller schools and private institutions, and La Marque has a quintet of players — offensive lineman Xavier Chinn, defensive linemen Jeffrey Sowell and Michael Parker, wide receiver Daniel Lee and strong safety Isaiah Leigh — scheduled to play.
La Marque head coach Mike Jackson is past president of the GHFCA and he pushed for the game to be established.
“When you become president, everybody has a pet project that they want to bring along,” he said. “I felt that we needed to get the smaller schools, the 3A, 2A, 1A and privates involved.”
The reason was simple, not enough players from the lower classifications got to play in an all-star game.
“La Marque would usually get a player into the Bayou Bowl, but a lot of the smaller schools didn’t and this gives them another opportunity to showcase their abilities,” Jackson said.
Having the game televised is a big deal, too.
“A lot of these guys have never played on TV before and now they have the chance to end their high school careers by playing on TV,” Jackson said. “It’s big for them.”

All-star football games
WHAT: Greater Houston Football Coaches Association Bowl
WHEN: 7 p.m. today
WHERE: Falcon Stadium, 25437 Willy Lane, in Huffman
TV: KUBE Channel 57

WHAT: Bayou Bowl
WHEN: 7 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Stallworth Stadium, 2509 East Archer Road, in Baytown
TV: KTRK Channel 13

1971Coogs
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I think you and I are double dipping....the kind folks on 3A Downlow are gonna kick me off :nerd:

CTS
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I think you and I are double dipping....the kind folks on 3A Downlow are gonna kick me off :nerd:

I'm sure you will be safe on here!

Roughneck93
06-14-2013, 07:40 PM
A couple of Roughnecks on the GHFCA Bowl roster...

Broderick Thomas - RB/LB

Bernard Flores - OL

:2thumbsup

Necked
06-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Broderick had two fumble recoveries...The Wharton kids did well too...

CTS
06-15-2013, 08:02 AM
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
July 15, 2013

Kashmere's Joshua Jacobs made the most of his first TV appearance.

Jacobs supplied two takeaways, a long fumble-return touchdown and a 38-yard touchdown reception - all in the second half - to lead the public school all-stars to a 28-7 victory over the private schools in the first Greater Houston Football Coaches Association Bowl on Friday at Huffman Hargrave.

"This means a lot to me because I never really had the opportunity to put on (a show) like that, so I just came out here and did what I had to do," said Jacobs, who's headed to Tyler Junior College.

It was 7-7 at halftime, and the public-school team, consisting of players from Class 3A, 2A and 1A schools in the Houston area, was off to a sloppy start in the second half when Jacobs scooped up a fumble by Lutheran North's Brandon Slater, then weaved his way across the field for a 70-yard score.

He intercepted Houston Christian quarterback Alex Roys on the private-school team's next drive and returned it 29 yards, setting up his 38-yard touchdown grab - delivered by Wharton quarterback Bartee Grissom on fourth-and-23.

"It was a last-minute call," Jacobs said. "I just told coach I knew I could catch the ball, because I know what I can do, so I just said throw the ball to me, and he threw it to me, and I made a big play."

La Marque defensive lineman Jeff Sowell's 29-yard interception return for a score early in the fourth quarter sealed it.

The private-school team committed seven turnovers. The public-school team had none.

"Football is football, whether it's an all-star game, Pop Warner or the NFL - you've got to hang on to the ball," said Cleveland coach Brandon Carpenter, who coached the public-school team.

West Columbia's Broderick Thomas and Cleveland's Deon Fleeks added fumble recoveries for the public schools, and Wharton's Alfred Pinkney and Kashmere's Paul Banks had interceptions.

Fleeks also scored the public-school team's first touchdown on a 3-yard pass from Huffman Hargrave quarterback Preston Townley, who was 15-of-28 passing for 93 yards and one score in his last game on his home field.

Roys hit Houston Christian teammate Steve Consoli for a 12-yard score in the second quarter but was picked four times.

The public-school team finished with 176 total yards and won handily despite 15 penalties for 121 yards and one player ejection. The private schools had 201 yards.

"This means a lot because, first of all, we made history," Jacobs said. "This is the first time we ever had an all-star game like this."

maestro
06-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Broderick had two fumble recoveries...The Wharton kids did well too...

Yes, both communities athletes performed well.

Sadly, the tv crew appeared to show up five minutes before kick off as they either: 1. Could not tell us the players ' names or 2. Misidentified the wharton kids.

Their catch phrase was how supposedly the public school kids dislike private school kids.

I finally quit watching live and taped it.

I will skip their cheap commentary.

maestro
06-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Columbia o-lineman got much love.

Sadly, the stafford o-lineman was never identified as from stafford.

maestro
06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Ok, did not mean to kill the thread with too much negative comments.

It was an all star game, a chance for kids to strut on tv.
Congrats to the Houston Coaches Association.

So if your school was represented, brag away.

cougartino
06-17-2013, 10:29 AM
The La Marque band looked and sounded great! :clap: