PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

Saggy Aggie
06-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Weather has been pretty good this last week with the exception of a short storm yesterday evening so the beach has improved exponentially since last weekend and it looks like tomorrow is gonna be a good fishing day. Have had a couple decent trips so far this year... but havent done great because it was always too windy/choppy. Anybody else got plans to fish tomorrow?

Gone Fishing
06-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Weather has been pretty good this last week with the exception of a short storm yesterday evening so the beach has improved exponentially since last weekend and it looks like tomorrow is gonna be a good fishing day. Have had a couple decent trips so far this year... but havent done great because it was always too windy/choppy. Anybody else got plans to fish tomorrow?
Gone Fishing - Gone Fishing...Lol .. Theres no trees or banks to hide behind on that damn beach/bay though. lol You could be screwed.

Cam
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
A friend of mine says she and her husband go to Magnolia Beach and fish for gafftop. Anybody been to Magnolia? Anybody else eat gafftop? I thought most folks don't eat gaffy's.......

Saggy Aggie
06-07-2013, 10:56 PM
A friend of mine says she and her husband go to Magnolia Beach and fish for gafftop. Anybody been to Magnolia? Anybody else eat gafftop? I thought most folks don't eat gaffy's.......

Most people dont eat gafftop because theyre such a pain in the ass to clean because theyre so slimy and nasty. If you go thru all the trouble, ive heard theyre not bad. I've personally never eaten one though lol

Scoop27
06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Former Wharton baseball coach Floyd Ciruti is a guide in Matagorda and takes out groups everyday and always posts pictures of big catches on his facebook page. Seems like his groups always does good. Think he charges around $500

SHSBulldog00
06-08-2013, 11:47 AM

You go Floundering?

Saggy Aggie
06-08-2013, 04:13 PM
You go Floundering?

Gigging or just catching?

CenTexSports
06-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Back in the 60's, the only place my Dad would take us to vacation was to Port Aransas. He fished about 1/2 mile down the channel from the ferry. Always fished for gaftops. He also took a trip there every year with a bunch of friends. He has pictures of them bringing back 40 to 50 foot stringers of 2 to 8 pound fish. we always ate them and they were really good.

Cam
06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Most people dont eat gafftop because theyre such a pain in the ass to clean because theyre so slimy and nasty. If you go thru all the trouble, ive heard theyre not bad. I've personally never eaten one though lol

....well then that explains why my friend always smells a little fishy!.....thanks for clarifying this for me.....geez, when friends like me who needs enemies?.....hey everybody, my friend smells like a gaffy....my friend smells like a gaffy!......:crazy1:

Cam
06-10-2013, 10:29 AM

when I lived near Padre I used to think I was a real Robin Hood with my bow. I'd go to the flats near what used to be called Holly Beach. Of all the times I tried to put an arrow thru a fish, I missed!.....Dang parallax got me every time!....:foul:

1st and goal
06-11-2013, 05:40 PM

So, did you go? Where, when, catch any?

I took family down to Matagorda beach to check it out last Sat. Surf was still crazy from the remnants of the tropical storm. Sargasso weed covered most of the beach. Water was really dirty in the surf. Mosquitoes were really bad.

We lathered up with 50 spf, then put on Deep Woods Off, and had a pretty good time. The weather was nice. Too much seaweed to fish the surf.

Saggy Aggie
06-11-2013, 06:58 PM
If you go to matagorda you gotta fish the bay.

We didn't go. Was raining sat morning and had obligations the rest of the wknd. Hoping for this wknd

mwrams
06-12-2013, 07:01 AM
As my job relocated me to the Rio Grand Valley I must now get to fishing. I'm only 19 miles from Port Mansfield...Just need to find a fishin' podna!

SHSBulldog00
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Either?

Saggy Aggie
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Either?

I've never been gigging, but I've got a few flounder holes I know using finger mullet

Scoop27
06-12-2013, 04:04 PM
I haven't been fishing in over 40 years since I was in my teens. My parents burnt me out on it and I quit liking it. It's too costly now with having t buy a license and all the incidentals.

Saggy Aggie
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I haven't been fishing in over 40 years since I was in my teens. My parents burnt me out on it and I quit liking it. It's too costly now with having t buy a license and all the incidentals.

Well yeah, but pretty much every hobby is expensive.

bobcat1
06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
I fish when I'm not at work and love it. I can't wait for retirement. Fishing when it's pretty and the wind ain't bad and golf when it is too windy to fish. They way I play golf, the longer you look for the ball the more of the enjoyable aspects of the game.... riding the cart and doing 16 oz. curls.:2thumbsup

panfan
06-13-2013, 07:51 AM
One of my most favorite things to do is go to the coast and fish. We have an annual trip we have been doing (me and some old high school buddies) since we were 17 and we are nearing 50. Fish get bigger every year and so do the lies. IN between the yearly trip, when I can I try to get down to the coast to fish, just wished my son enjoyed it as much as I do. He would rather be on the beach checking out hot babes in bikinis, Sheesh, what's wrong with that boy!!!! LOL.

Farmersfan
06-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I will spend a week RVing on Texoma over the July 4th week/weekend. If i'm not riding the Jet Skis I will be chasing the stripe Bass. Every morning at sun up around the Eisenhower dam the strippers will come through in a school and the fishing is mad and furious for a couple of hours if you can follow them as they move around the lake. Some of the best fishing I have ever found.

Saggy Aggie
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Hit the beach this morning. Water was pretty decent and hardly any wind, but fishing was slow. Caught a couple small specks and 2 keepers. Nothing really too special. I think my spot is played out. it hasnt produced the last couple years like it used to when i was younger. Think im gonna wade the surf in the morning with plastics. Buddy told me he got spooled twice this morning doing that, think it was jacks.

Cam
06-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Hit the beach this morning. Water was pretty decent and hardly any wind, but fishing was slow. Caught a couple small specks and 2 keepers. Nothing really too special. I think my spot is played out. it hasnt produced the last couple years like it used to when i was younger. Think im gonna wade the surf in the morning with plastics. Buddy told me he got spooled twice this morning doing that, think it was jacks.

Where are you? I'm planning a trip on 4th of July weekend with my boys. College kid especially needs a break and is dying to fish the coast. I just don't know where to go...I'm only familiar with Padre Island/Laguna Madre area and we don't want to drive that far again. We want to wade, surf, or kayak fish the flats. Only have one two man kayak at the moment.

Saggy Aggie
06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I usually fish the Freeport/Galveston/San Luis pass/Christmas bay area.

I think Christmas bay would be the best place to kayak near me but if you could go anywhere, I probably wouldn't go here. I'd go to matagorda.

I'll either wade the surf or go to matagorda tomorrow

Cam
06-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Holy crap Scoop!....No sex, no fishin'...maybe it's my imagination...but when I read your posts you sound just a tad bit irritated!....:crazy1:

Cam
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I usually fish the Freeport/Galveston/San Luis pass/Christmas bay area.

I think Christmas bay would be the best place to kayak near me but if you could go anywhere, I probably wouldn't go here. I'd go to matagorda.

I'll either wade the surf or go to matagorda tomorrow

How did the Matagorda fishin' turn out? I am definitely going to Matagorda on July 5 & 6. Give me some pointers. What type of lures should I get? As many years as I have fished the coast, I have never fished with anything but dead or live bait...Want to try something different.....
I remember wade fishin' with my dad and uncle one time at Holly Beach near Laguna Vista....we were about 100 yards into the water. Using dead bait and not having any luck.....We noticed two fellas behind us about 20 yards from the shore.....They were using lures....Not sure what kind....but they were hookin' one big spec after another!.......Dang!!.....