PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny's Corey Simpson selected in 6th round of MLB draft

Scoop27
06-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Corey Simpson of Sweeny was selected today in the sixth round of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft by the Seattle Mariners. A catcher for the Bulldogs, he is projected as a right fielder by the Mariners, according to mlb.com.

SHSBulldog00
06-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Congratulation's Corey and his family. Very deserving young man.

regaleagle
06-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Nice to see yet another one of our outstanding 3A player's go so high in the draft. I'm sure he and his family are just on Cloud Nine right now. What a great thing to happen to a young man in his life. I wish him well and hope to hear his name called in the BIGS in the near future.

maestro
06-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Will he sign or attend college?

Roughneck93
06-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Congrats to Corey!

From The Facts...

Seattle selects Sweeny slugger Simpson
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 2:00 am
By JOEL LUNA

SWEENY — At the age of 4, Corey Simpson embarked on a dream to possibly see himself in a Major League Baseball uniform.
That dream took a giant step forward Friday afternoon when Simpson was selected 177th overall by the Seattle Mariners in the 2013 Major League Baseball’s First Year Draft.

“I knew more or less where I was going to go because they had been coming to most of my games,” Simpson said Friday afternoon. “They had been telling me about their organization and how much they thought of me as a great athlete. So we had some good conversations.”

Simpson will be walking away from his University of Houston commitment to join the Mariner farm system.

“I am going toward pro ball,” he said. “That is my final answer — this is a dream come true.”
The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder will change positions and go from behind the plate to right field.
“I used to play the outfield when I was younger, and I am sure it is going to feel different, but once I get used to it, it will be OK,” Simpson said. “I am not sure where I will be going yet, but I am thinking rookie ball. Tonight we will have more conversations.”

Simpson’s power at the plate was something teams enjoyed watching, and according to some scouting reports, his raw power really stood out.

“This is just fantastic for the team and the city of Sweeny,” Sweeny High School coach Scott Carter said. “Corey is an athlete and whatever he decides to do, he is going to make it work. I also understand that Toronto and Arizona were also looking at him.”

The Mariners’ rookie team is in Peoria, Ariz., and its season begins June 20.
That date could also mark the start of Simpson’s professional career.
“It is just an amazing feeling and I am really lost for words right now,” Simpson said. “Right now I am just here with my family barbecuing and just trying to soak it in.”

Since joining the Bulldog varsity as a sophomore, Simpson has helped Sweeny to three consecutive district titles. Sweeny was a Class 3A state semifinalist last season and this year was ranked No. 1 in 3A the entire season until getting ousted by Bridge City in the playoffs.

http://thefacts.com/sports/local_sports/article_fcbcb1ce-cfee-11e2-9ce4-001a4bcf887a.html

SHSBulldog00
06-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Will he sign or attend college?

His dad told me during the season if a team agrees to pay for his schooling while playing baseball he would sign. If they wouldn't he would attend UH and compete for the starting catcher position.

regaleagle
06-08-2013, 01:41 PM
What is his slotted signing contract amount??? Austin Aune went in the second round this time a year ago to the Yankees and he got above his slotted amount, but that was for a variety of different reasons. BTW, he will be starting his season at shortstop for the Staten Island Yankees shortly. Apparently, they haven't yet started the season officially. He hit well in the Florida Gulf Coast League last season as a very "green" 18 yo. unseasoned baseball talent, but made 15 errors at shortstop. He will be concentrating on only baseball from here on out, get the top instruction he lacks, and more than likely his career in baseball will take off this season.