PDA

View Full Version : June 6, 1944

maestro
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
D-Day Remembrance

I would like to think the men who made that great sacrifice would look down on events like the UIL baseball state tourney and GRIN FROM EAR TO EAR that this generation 's youth can enjoy such events.

So...as you cheer today, in between innings, you might want to lean over to a friend and say

" you know, it is June 6, D-Day.

And then cheer...cheer....cheer

D'Highlander
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
For you who have never seen Band of Brothers. You should. I am not very good with words but that mini-series is amazing.

Cam
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Right on maestro! Although the event didn't happen on D-Day, you reminded me of my wife's uncle Roy who served on the carrier USS Wasp in WWII and was one those sailors who had to abandon ship when the Wasp was sunk. Spent a long time in the water before being rescued. His favorite sport was always baseball (especially high school ball)....

slingshot
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
For you who have never seen Band of Brothers. You should. I am not very good with words but that mini-series is amazing.It is. Saving Private Ryan may be better...

D'Highlander
06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
It is. Saving Private Ryan may be better...

I think they are neck and neck as far as quality but I enjoy BoB more because you get more of it. I bet I have watched that series 8 or 9 times.

Txbroadcaster
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
It is. Saving Private Ryan may be better...

imo BOB is way better simply because it is based on truth

D'Highlander
06-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Very true, Those interviews... And the way they talk about each other and what they were doing over there. Wow. I am going to have to watch it again.

panfan
06-07-2013, 08:27 AM
D-Day Remembrance

I would like to think the men who made that great sacrifice would look down on events like the UIL baseball state tourney and GRIN FROM EAR TO EAR that this generation 's youth can enjoy such events.

So...as you cheer today, in between innings, you might want to lean over to a friend and say

" you know, it is June 6, D-Day.

And then cheer...cheer....cheer

For most, WWII is related to events of their grandfathers. I came along late in my parents life (whoops!). Anyway, my Dad was 18 when he signed up, joined the service and along with 5 of his brothers, they all went to war. He served in the pacific theatre and was slated for the 2nd or 3rd wave of an invasion force on okinawa before they dropped the bomb. Several of my uncles were in the European theatre. All 6 made it back alive. Dad never much talked abut the war, it was too troubling for him, he just always said it something no one should have to endure.

BEAST
06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
For most, WWII is related to events of their grandfathers. I came along late in my parents life (whoops!). Anyway, my Dad was 18 when he signed up, joined the service and along with 5 of his brothers, they all went to war. He served in the pacific theatre and was slated for the 2nd or 3rd wave of an invasion force on okinawa before they dropped the bomb. Several of my uncles were in the European theatre. All 6 made it back alive. Dad never much talked abut the war, it was too troubling for him, he just always said it something no one should have to endure.

A great big THANKS to your dad and uncles.

BEAST

Rabid Cougar
06-07-2013, 03:04 PM

"The PACIFIC" very much BoB's equal. Eastwood's Iwo Jima series is also worth the mention.