PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Cruz - possible suspension

Old Tiger
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9301536/major-league-baseball-suspend-18-players-including-alex-rodriguez-ryan-braun-part-miami-investigation

Weebe
06-05-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm not necessarily questioning the guilt of some of those players, but I do find it troublesome that mlb is considering suspending them solely on the basis of evidence from a guy who has virtually no credibility.

If his accounts are true, it would mean he has lied before and the lawsuit against him filed by mlb essentially amounts to blackmail by mlb to get him to provide information. He has a strong incentive to tell mlb what they want to hear to try to settle the suit.

coach
06-05-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm not necessarily questioning the guilt of some of those players, but I do find it troublesome that mlb is considering suspending them solely on the basis of evidence from a guy who has virtually no credibility.

If his accounts are true, it would mean he has lied before and the lawsuit against him filed by mlb essentially amounts to blackmail by mlb to get him to provide information. He has a strong incentive to tell mlb what they want to hear to try to settle the suit.

If Nellie does get suspended Arod and Ryan Braun should be suspended for the rest of the year.

Old Tiger
06-05-2013, 08:39 AM
If Nellie does get suspended Arod and Ryan Braun should be suspended for the rest of the year.

Bruan and A-rod are looking at getting 100 games

D'Highlander
06-05-2013, 09:39 AM
wouldnt this be Cruz's first strike? or has he been caught before?

Roughneck93
06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
wouldnt this be Cruz's first strike? or has he been caught before?

According to sources, MLB will try make this their second offense.

From the article above...

"One source familiar with the case said the commissioner's office might seek 100-game suspensions for Rodriguez, Braun and other players, the penalty for a second doping offense. The argument, the source said, is the players' connection to Bosch constitutes one offense, and previous statements to MLB officials denying any such connection or the use of PEDs constitute another."

D'Highlander
06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
According to sources, MLB will try make this their second offense.

From the article above...

"One source familiar with the case said the commissioner's office might seek 100-game suspensions for Rodriguez, Braun and other players, the penalty for a second doping offense. The argument, the source said, is the players' connection to Bosch constitutes one offense, and previous statements to MLB officials denying any such connection or the use of PEDs constitute another."

I smell a lawsuit...

Old Tiger
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I think MLB should make these suspensions more strict......

1st offense half season suspension
2cd offense full season suspension
3rd offense ban

Cam
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
say it ain't so Nelson...tell me you're not a dumbass!......

hollywood
06-05-2013, 04:42 PM
This is a slap on the wrist compared to what Lance Armstrong got. Doping, growth hormones, performance enhancers... it's all the same.

regaleagle
06-06-2013, 12:27 AM
I guess some of the players think they are "untouchable" OR they are just willing to take the risk for the possible reward. Now it's time to pay the piper. It should be obvious that this sort of "cheating" has been going on to gain an advantage over your competition for decades by a small segment in most of the sports. I remember in the 70's Olympics when all the East Germany women competitors looked like men they were so muscular.

D'Highlander
06-06-2013, 06:43 AM
I think MLB should make these suspensions more strict......

1st offense half season suspension
2cd offense full season suspension
3rd offense ban

If they really want to get rid of it...

1st = 1 season
2nd = Ban

To me, giving them multiple chances to cheat is Caca del Toro. Its like a parent telling there kid,"Stop" (the kid keeps doing it) "you better stop it before I count to 3" That is just like saying to the kid. "you can keep doing what you are doing till I get to 3 even tho I have told you to stop already."

Roughneck93
07-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Looks like MLB is about to start handing out suspensions.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/09/mlb-planning-to-suspend-alex-rodriguez-ryan-braun-and-up-to-20-other-players-report/

regaleagle
07-10-2013, 02:21 AM
I'm about as big a Rangers fan as they come, but wrong is wrong....and if Nelson Cruz was cheating, he should be suspended....as well as any of the other players that may be guilty of the same offenses. The hammer needs to come down swiftly for MLB....or the game will be sorely jeopardized. This kind of stuff must be dealt with harshly and swiftly for the good of the game and to be fair to the rest of the players that don't cheat...end of story. The Rangers will suffer the loss of Cruz's bat, but not his fielding. I have no sympathy for cheaters, esp. in professional sports where the players already enjoy a great lifestyle with great pay. Dummies!!!

Rabid Cougar
07-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Anyone notice Profar playing left field last week? Could be a sign of the times.

D'Highlander
07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Anyone notice Profar playing left field last week? Could be a sign of the times.

Also, Manny hit a homer last night...

Rabid Cougar
07-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Also, Manny hit a homer last night...

Manny is Berkman's insurance policy.

GreenMonster
07-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I think it would be really hard to justify suspensions without a positive test or a confession to back it up. He said/She said isn't proof of anything.

Buckeye1980
07-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Agrred!

Roughneck93
07-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Ryan Braun suspended for the remainder of the season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9500252/ryan-braun-milwaukee-brewers-suspended-remainder-2013-season

Roughneck93
08-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Looks like Nelson Cruz has accepted a 50 game ban...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4903295/report-nelson-cruz-to-accept-50-game-ban

Tejastrue
08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Cruz didn't need the PEDs imo...big loss but he should pay the price as much as anyone. Thought it was rather humorous how the Oakland fans were booing him and calling him cheater over this last series when they have Colon, a 14-3 pitcher that had been suspended for the same reason. Ignorant fans.

Tejastrue
08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-star-cruz-says-made-200454205--mlb.html