PDA

View Full Version : Ags land the #1 Qb pospect

BEAST
06-04-2013, 11:23 AM
The 2014 class keeps getting stronger. Kyle Allen, out of Desert Mountain High in Scottsdale, Arizona chose the Ags over Notre Dame, Ohio State, Okie St, and UCLA. He also held offers from Alabama and Wisconsin.

BEAST

Cam
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
you can thank Johnny Football for that!....

Saggy Aggie
06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
:) :)

D'Highlander
06-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Would you rather have this guy or Jerrod Heard from Denton Guyer?

BEAST
06-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Hard for me to say. Ive never seen this guy play. However, I think I will take Sumlin over Mack when it comes to evaluating Qbs.

BEAST

Macarthur
06-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Well, depending on how much stock you put in the recruiting services, there's not a single one that ranks Heard higher than the kid A&M got. Heard is some where in the back 100 ranked players in the nation. The Allen kid is some where in the 40s. Both really good players.

Tejastrue
06-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Hey D'Highlander... just in case it has not been said... welcome to 3adownlow!

Phil C
06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
The Aggies got a good one. I would be satisfied with a Duke Carlilsle.

D'Highlander
06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Hard for me to say. Ive never seen this guy play. However, I think I will take Sumlin over Mack when it comes to evaluating Qbs.

BEAST

Is it evaluating or coaching them up once they get there?

D'Highlander
06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey D'Highlander... just in case it has not been said... welcome to 3adownlow!

Thanks!!!

Cam
06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks!!!

.....and be careful with tejastrue!........so, what team do you follow?.....The Woodlands??.....:D

BEAST
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Is it evaluating or coaching them up once they get there?

I dont know. I do know he passed on the last 2 Heisman winners saying they could play DB but not Qb.

BEAST

Phil C
06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I dont know. I do know he passed on the last 2 Heisman winners saying they could play DB but not Qb.

BEAST

Everyone passed on Johnny Football including the Aggie Head Coach who only made the offer because the Offensive Coordinator begged for him. Akeys sure had that one right.

BEAST
06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Everyone passed on Johnny Football including the Aggie Head Coach who only made the offer because the Offensive Coordinator begged for him. Akeys sure had that one right.

Not everyone. Oregon wanted him badly. Look at the similarities in the 2 offneses.

BEAST

Old Tiger
06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't think a pro style qb in that offense will work in the sec. IMO what makes that offense go is manziels ability to extend the play plus take off if he has to.

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

Lucky2Coach
06-04-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't think a pro style qb in that offense will work in the sec. IMO what makes that offense go is manziels ability to extend the play plus take off if he has to.

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

good observation... Case Keenum was a blazer with his feet!

Old Tiger
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Case coming out of HS could run th ball...a couple of knee injuries had a lot to do with it.

BEAST
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Case coming out of HS could run th ball...a couple of knee injuries had a lot to do with it.

However, after the knee injuries he still set records.

BEAST

Old Tiger
06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
However, after the knee injuries he still set records.

BEASTIn CUSA

BEAST
06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
In CUSA

He didnt have the targets the Ags have either. Its all relative.

BEAST

Buckeye1980
06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Just out of curiostity, what QB did has Sumlin evaluated and recruited and did well with? Not saying he did not coach well but has a QB he EVALUATED done well?

BEAST
06-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Just out of curiostity, what QB did has Sumlin evaluated and recruited and did well with? Not saying he did not coach well but has a QB he EVALUATED done well?

Keenum?

BEAST

bigwood33
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
you can thank Johnny Football for that!....
Exactly! I can't believe that more people don't realize how great the Manziel effect is. If he bolts to the NFL after this season, it might be a tough 2 or 3 years for the Ags. He is a "singular" player. There just isn't another one like him to plug in.

Saggy Aggie
06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Exactly! I can't believe that more people don't realize how great the Manziel effect is. If he bolts to the NFL after this season, it might be a tough 2 or 3 years for the Ags. He is a "singular" player. There just isn't another one like him to plug in.

I think everyone is well aware of that.... You act like that's some kinda secret?

Old Tiger
06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Keenum?

BEASTArt Briles

Old Tiger
06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
I think everyone is well aware of that.... You act like that's some kinda secret?

It is! Double super secret

hsbtex
06-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Laughing!!

D'Highlander
06-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Art Briles

Has Art Briles ever recruited a bad QB? If I am Mack, I would just look at who Briles wants and go after that guy.

Lucky2Coach
06-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Has Art Briles ever recruited a bad QB? If I am Mack, I would just look at who Briles wants and go after that guy.

Then reassign myself to Co-HC in charge of media relations, and let Art take over coaching the QBs and the entire program!

D'Highlander
06-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Then reassign myself to Co-HC in charge of media relations, and let Art take over coaching the QBs and the entire program!

I dont know if you are being scarcastic with that statement, but I had a simular thought back after the 2010 season. Move Mack to AD and bring in Briles. :D

msu97
06-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Garrett Gilbert was once listed as the top qb in the nation, and Chris Simms was listed as a top qb as well...

Manziel was a 3 star recruit... could not beat Lake Travis in the playoffs...

sometimes these recruiting sites are not that reliable...

only time will tell

Old Tiger
06-05-2013, 08:37 AM

If Briles is recruiting them for offense I would take a hard look at him.

msu97
06-05-2013, 08:40 AM
If Briles is recruiting them for offense I would take a hard look at him.

Briles is a great recruiter... he goes off of game film and measurables are a luxury... most programs only want size and speed... even if they are mediocre at best...
Briles goes after football players...

Rabid Cougar
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Briles is a great recruiter... he goes off of game film and measurables are a luxury... most programs only want size and speed... even if they are mediocre at best...
Briles goes after football players...

Really? 2009.. He hadn't even looked at Mike Hicks, a local (China Spring) kid who at the time was No. 2 in Texas High school history in receiving yards and a fierce hitter in the defensive secondary. 4 year starter at both positions. Could play any skilled postion at a high level. Ran for 221 yards in a playoff game against Burnet his senior year. Kid had been to all the Baylor camps and had not been offered by any D1 school.. Coach asked Briles why hadn't he offered Hicks? Said he hadn't seen his film. Coach showed him film. Next question was "Is he smart?" Kid started 4 years at Safety for Baylor. 2 years ahead of Ahmad Dixon, a nationally ranked recruit.

Briles recruits stereotypes just like the rest of them.

big daddy russ
06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Really? 2009.. He hadn't even looked at Mike Hicks, a local (China Spring) kid who at the time was No. 2 in Texas High school history in receiving yards and a fierce hitter in the defensive secondary. 4 year starter at both positions. Could play any skilled postion at a high level. Ran for 221 yards in a playoff game against Burnet his senior year. Kid had been to all the Baylor camps and had not been offered by any D1 school.. Coach asked Briles why hadn't he offered Hicks? Said he hadn't seen his film. Coach showed him film. Next question was "Is he smart?" Kid started 4 years at Safety for Baylor. 2 years ahead of Ahmad Dixon, a nationally ranked recruit.

Briles recruits stereotypes just like the rest of them.
How much time would it take to go over every tape of every prospect in the country?

A lot of these coaches have to go on what they're told because of time constraints. Sounds like Briles was told, he watched, and he offered.

D'Highlander
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
A lot of these coaches have to go on what they're told because of time constraints. Sounds like Briles was told, he watched, and he offered.

Bingo. And starting on Baylor's D the last few years isnt saying a whole lot. I havent seen anyone say that Briles is an excelent Defensive recruiter. He just knows how to find the guys to put the points up.

Macarthur
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM

There is no doubt that JFF has been a huge reason for A&M's success. However, I think you are selling Sumlin short if you seriously think they will drop off the face of the earth when Johnny is gone. Sumlin is a hell of a recruiter and you can't ignore how his teams play with attitude and generally play a very disciplined style of football. The Aggies came out in the first half of that Florida game (first game for Sumlin) and they hit Florida right in the mouth and were clearly the more physical team. Sumlin has got a lot; there is a reason several NFL teams inquired in the off season. He has a very good reputation in the coaching community.

NastySlot
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
could not beat Lake Travis in the playoffs...

sometimes these recruiting sites are not that reliable...

only time will tell

not many have beaten LT..............and everyone loves those sites when their schools are getting the four star kids and their classes are ranked high.

Rabid Cougar
06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
How much time would it take to go over every tape of every prospect in the country?

Will not disagree with that at all.

In regards to starting for Baylor? I have no love for Baylor. I detest them. However, I know from my own son's experience at UNT, if you play at that level and are able to do so without getting replaced by the next recruitng class, that is an accomplishment in itself because there is always someone bigger and badder that comes along.

lostaussie
06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Just out of curiostity, what QB did has Sumlin evaluated and recruited and did well with? Not saying he did not coach well but has a QB he EVALUATED done well?Oh go blow it out your arse.............Aggie hater:D

Txbroadcaster
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
like him or not, Mack has brought in some damn fine QBs..yes UT missed on RGIII and Johnny Football, but so did most of the colleges..and with UT they thought they were set with Gilbert( as would most of the CFB)