2. Casa Torres (Decatur) get the #2
3. Burk Diner (Burkburnett) Burger are awesome
4. Pit Stop BBQ (Breckenridge) Big J special
5. Czech Shop (West) ummm yes
6. Georges (Waco) Big O's
7. Underwoods (Brownwood) owned by a Stephenville family
8. Miguel Little Mexican Restaurant (Comanche) Ewe
9. Gogo Gumbo (Boyd) Only good in that armpit of a town
10. Phillip 66 (Vernon) nothing good in this town so I just bought a candy bar and diet Pepsi.

44INAROW
05-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Morning Leon JR - one of the original BADA$$ES of the downlow............. glad to see you!

Txbroadcaster
05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
IMO George in Waco is overrated

refereedoc
05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Underwoods? I don't like boiled meat with sauce. The cobbler and rolls are great.

BEAST
05-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Also, Underwoods is not owned by a Stephenville family. Its been owned a operated by the Underwoods for generations. They may lived in Stephenville at one point but they are and have been in Brownwood a very long time.

BEAST

lostaussie
05-28-2013, 03:48 PM
10. Phillip 66 (Vernon) nothing good in this town so I just bought a candy bar and diet Pepsi.I hit this place regular on the way to Quanah.............I usually go with the 2 bags for a dollar peanuts and a coke:D pour the peanuts in the coke and roll on out of town:thumbsup:

DKfromDUB
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Peanuts in a Dublin DrPepper is way better... but....

Ville-D
05-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Also, Underwoods is not owned by a Stephenville family. Its been owned a operated by the Underwoods for generations. They may lived in Stephenville at one point but they are and have been in Brownwood a very long time. BEAST

Hey Beast... Were you in Stephenville this weekend?

BEAST
05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Hey Beast... Were you in Stephenville this weekend?

I passed through on Friday and again on Monday.

BEAST

bobcat1
05-28-2013, 07:11 PM
IMO George in Waco is overratedOpinions are like... well you know. Big O's make up for it.

bobcat1
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Also, Underwoods is not owned by a Stephenville family. Its been owned a operated by the Underwoods for generations. They may lived in Stephenville at one point but they are and have been in Brownwood a very long time.

BEAST

They were originally from Brady and had part of the family in Wichita Falls. I knew them from when I was a kid.

Found a pic of a Drive thru they had on Beverly when I was a kid. http://underwoodsbbq.com/index.php?option=com_atomicongallery&view=atomicongallery&Itemid=87#

Old Tiger
05-28-2013, 07:18 PM
IMO George in Waco is overrated

Food is ok but drink prices and atmosphere are tits

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

bobcat1
05-28-2013, 07:29 PM
They were originally from Brady and had part of the family in Wichita Falls. I knew them from when I was a kid.

Found a pic of a Drive thru they had on Beverly when I was a kid. http://www.underwoodsbbq.com/index.php?option=com_atomicongallery&view=atomicongallery&Itemid=87 Middle top

Bosqueville
05-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Underwoods? I don't like boiled meat with sauce. The cobbler and rolls are great.

The fried chicken is not boiled!!! I'm sorry but I love the beef steak with the sauce! And the orange potato salad.. Greatness.

bigwood33
05-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Buddy's Drive Inn- Andrews...GREAT steak finger baskets
The Bar L Drive Inn- Wichita Falls...the original "red draw"

DKfromDUB
05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
The fried chicken is not boiled!!! I'm sorry but I love the beef steak with the sauce! And the orange potato salad.. Greatness.

:iagree:

hollywood
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Mary's Cafe! Located in Strawn, TX

Best chicken fried steak you can buy, IMO.

Large chicken fry (comes with homemade french fries and gravy)
A couple of large frosty Shiner Bocks

Heaven

bobcat1
05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Buddy's Drive Inn- Andrews...GREAT steak finger baskets
The Bar L Drive Inn- Wichita Falls...the original "red draw"

I wish I had all the money I spent on red draws at Bar L. Well there and P2. Ribs at Bar L and Steak on Garlic at P2. Good stuff.

bigwood33
05-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I wish I had all the money I spent on red draws at Bar L. Well there and P2. Ribs at Bar L and Steak on Garlic at P2. Good stuff.
Sitting on the tail gate enjoying a cold red draw on a warm summer evening...hard to beat!

hollywood
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Sitting on the tail gate enjoying a cold red draw on a warm summer evening...hard to beat!

What's a red draw?

BwdLion73
05-29-2013, 11:38 AM
What's a red draw?

I think that is what they call it in W.Falls. I always just called it a Red Beer. A little tomato or V8 juice in a glass and fill with Beer of your choice. Breakfast of Champions!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-29-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm a fan of the "Bluejay Cafe" in Needville. I haven't been in a while, I need to go there soon.

Also, there used to be a place off Hwy 77 in one of those small town near Kingsville (I think it's Sarita?) that served THE BIGGEST DAMN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK I THINK I HAD EVER SEEN!!! It has been, to this day, the ONLY Chicken Fried Steak I couldn't finish. I'm not sure if that place is around anymore though. Last time I ate there was in 1995 or so.

hollywood
05-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm a fan of the "Bluejay Cafe" in Needville. I haven't been in a while, I need to go there soon.

Also, there used to be a place off Hwy 77 in one of those small town near Kingsville (I think it's Sarita?) that served THE BIGGEST DAMN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK I THINK I HAD EVER SEEN!!! It has been, to this day, the ONLY Chicken Fried Steak I couldn't finish. I'm not sure if that place is around anymore though. Last time I ate there was in 1995 or so.

Have you ever eaten the large chicken fry at Mary's Cafe in Strawn? If you have or can... you're a freakin' hoss!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Have you ever eaten the large chicken fry at Mary's Cafe in Strawn? If you have or can... you're a freakin' hoss!

Nope, never been to Strawn.

I HAVE been to Childress, and ate at that place where they have that big steak challenge. But I chickened out and didn't attempt.

MUSTANG69
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure but I think it is still there. Can't remember the name of it. That chicken fried steak is as big as a large flounder.

ccmom
05-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Mary's Cafe! Located in Strawn, TX

Best chicken fried steak you can buy, IMO.

Large chicken fry (comes with homemade french fries and gravy)
A couple of large frosty Shiner Bocks

Heaven

Something we agree on....love Mary's!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-29-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure but I think it is still there. Can't remember the name of it. That chicken fried steak is as big as a large flounder.

Yeah, I can't remember the name of it either. If I could recall, I'd go next time I headed down to Port Isabel.

bobcat1
05-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Call me Hoss then Junior. :2thumbsup

Ville-D
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Hoss...

Ville-D
05-29-2013, 01:57 PM

I wouldn't say it is the biggest in the state... But Mary cooks a mean CF Steak.

44INAROW
05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't say it is the biggest in the state... But Mary cooks a mean CF Steak.

Biggest isn't ALWAYS the best :)
I've been hearing about Mary's CFS for 10 years on here.. going to have to plan a trip up there to try one out

defense51
05-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Not sure if it's even there anymore, but Ginger Brown's in Lake Worth used to have a really good chicken fried steak and a cinnamon roll afterwards that was just as good!

hollywood
05-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Something we agree on....love Mary's!!

LOL... :kiss:

Ville-D
05-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Not sure if it's even there anymore, but Ginger Brown's in Lake Worth used to have a really good chicken fried steak and a cinnamon roll afterwards that was just as good!

Marys? It was there last week.

refereedoc
05-29-2013, 08:10 PM

You are correct. We ate there last fall. Cinnamon rolls to die for.

Blue42
05-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Saw Mary’s on Texas Country Reporter and it was rated #1 chicken fried steak in the state. I will defiantly be eating there this summer as we plan to go to Possum Kingdom for a week.
Don’t know the area well, is there any other good places to eat in that area ?

bigwood33
05-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Thurber has 2 pretty darned good restaurants:

The Smokestack and New York Hill

hollywood
05-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Saw Mary’s on Texas Country Reporter and it was rated #1 chicken fried steak in the state. I will defiantly be eating there this summer as we plan to go to Possum Kingdom for a week.
Don’t know the area well, is there any other good places to eat in that area ?

Yep, Mary's is a must. Pan fried chicken fry with homeade fried potatoes and cream gravy.

As for other places, Graham is near by and has the Wildcatter Steak House.

LeonJr
05-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Leon says, "Mary's is over-rated! It's a lot of steak for a low cost but that's it."

hollywood
05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Leon says, "Mary's is over-rated! It's a lot of steak for a low cost but that's it."

Hollywood says, "LeonJr crazy. Must not like chicken fried steak." Others have spoken, enough said. ;)

bobcat1
05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Yep, Mary's is a must. Pan fried chicken fry with homeade fried potatoes and cream gravy.

As for other places, Graham is near by and has the Wildcatter Steak House.Thumbs up to the Wildcatter!

bobcat1
05-30-2013, 09:04 AM

If Leon had a taste for crap he wouldn't even get a smell. :p

bigwood33
05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Thurber has 2 pretty darned good restaurants:

The Smokestack and New York Hill

For added clarification, I was responding to the question about other area restaurants that may be pretty close to Strawn. Thurber is about 10 minutes from Strawn.

Blue42
05-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Cool thanks I will check them out.

Hendo
05-30-2013, 06:41 PM

Leon should try wrapping his lips around Mary's chicken gizzards. The entire mountain of them. Them suckas is good!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-30-2013, 07:18 PM

If you could recall the name of the restaurant, I would be very grateful. Maybe even grateful enough to hook you up with cheap room/board next time you venture into Port Isabel. (I know people)

bobcat1
05-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Moby Dicks in Port Aransas was good when we were there. Had a couple of beers with crushed ice, lemon and Tabasco sauce. It sure was good on a hot July day. The food was awesome and the desserts killer.

Pudlugger
05-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Gumbo Bar in Galveston has the best seafood gumbo and a huge menu of foreign and domestic beer and ale.
We like Sea Land in La Grange too. Great crawfish etouffee and gumbo there as well.

MUSTANG69
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
If you could recall the name of the restaurant, I would be very grateful. Maybe even grateful enough to hook you up with cheap room/board next time you venture into Port Isabel. (I know people)

I just can't remember. I'm going to call a friend who originally told me about it. Maybe he can remember.

Maybe one year Ingleside & P.I. will play. Been a while since I've been to P.I.

Tejastrue
05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
If Leon had a taste for crap he wouldn't even get a smell. :p

The first clue was in the title of this thread. Real CFS connoisseurs would never make that mis-steak. lol...

MUSTANG69
05-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Mesquite Inn, but sorry to say my friend said they closed down and tore the building down. Damn, all this talk was making me want to drive down there and eat.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Mesquite Inn, but sorry to say my friend said they closed down and tore the building down. Damn, all this talk was making me want to drive down there and eat.

DAMN! Oh well.....any other place in South Texas with extremely large Chicken Fried Steaks?

MUSTANG69
05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
DAMN! Oh well.....any other place in South Texas with extremely large Chicken Fried Steaks?

Liberty Bell in Freer has a pretty good chicken fried steak. Average size but by the time you eat the steak, fries, Texas toast, and a trip to the salad bar you are real full.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Liberty Bell in Freer has a pretty good chicken fried steak. Average size but by the time you eat the steak, fries, Texas toast, and a trip to the salad bar you are real full.

I guess I should be a little more specific. Any place along or near the Highway 77 corridor between Brownsville and Victoria or the stretch of 59 between Victoria and Houston?

Last time I was in Freer, TX was in 1991.

MUSTANG69
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=TarponFanInNorthTexas;1746094]I guess I should be a little more specific. Any place along or near the Highway 77 corridor between Brownsville and Victoria or the stretch of 59 between Victoria and Houston?

I can't think of much along that route for chicken fried steak.

bobcat1
05-31-2013, 06:20 PM
I guess I should be a little more specific. Any place along or near the Highway 77 corridor between Brownsville and Victoria or the stretch of 59 between Victoria and Houston?

Last time I was in Freer, TX was in 1991.The King Ranch makes some real good Chicken Fried Nilgai if you can get in there. :2thumbsup

Manso/V8
05-31-2013, 06:31 PM
The King Ranch makes some real good Chicken Fried Nilgai if you can get in there. :2thumbsup

Sounds awesome. A buddy of mine shot a Nilgai on a company hunt and gave me the meat.
It has a great flavor, at least to me.

bobcat1
05-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Sounds awesome. A buddy of mine shot a Nilgai on a company hunt and gave me the meat.
It has a great flavor, at least to me.

Real fine grained too. I love it. I'd eat it over beef.

defense51
06-01-2013, 02:22 AM
The King Ranch makes some real good Chicken Fried Nilgai if you can get in there. :2thumbsup

I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but what is Nilgai?

bobcat1
06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
http://www.redorbit.com/media/uploads/2004/10/42_d90d6c51009d83885ac758444b981ab0.jpg

It's an Asian antelope. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgai

mwrams
06-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I reside in Harlingen now as my job is in the Valley...Being originally from Palo Pinto County (The home of the best Chicken fry in Texas)...where do you find a chicken fried steak in the Valley? I havn't seen one yet!!!

ronwx5x
06-01-2013, 08:22 AM
We've done this before, but one of my favorites is Mel's Country Cookin' outside Tomball. The Chicken Fried Steak is huge so don't dare order the large! Great scratch mashed potatoes too. If you like fried catfish, this is the place. They serve a plate large enough to feed two. I think it's iconic that Friday is "All you can eat" catfish since the regular plate is more than most can handle. All vegetables are fresh and grown locally. Not a pretty place but that just makes it better.

hollywood
06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?105443-Best-Chicken-Fried-Steak/page5&highlight=Chicken+fried+steak

I reside in Harlingen now as my job is in the Valley...Being originally from Palo Pinto County (The home of the best Chicken fry in Texas)...where do you find a chicken fried steak in the Valley? I havn't seen one yet!!!