PDA

View Full Version : When the Big 12 folds???

Lucky2Coach
05-24-2013, 10:14 AM
What are the schools going to do?

If I were a big time recruit, I'd be asking Texas and Oklahoma this question?

hollywood
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Go to the SEC, PAC, or Big 20

NastySlot
05-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Why would it fold?

Lucky2Coach
05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Not enough large TV markets to compete with the other major conferences. It's all about the TV money.

Bullaholic
05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
IMO, there will utltimately be only 3-4 super conferences composed of the major schools left in NCAA DI when all is said and done. I don't think UT or OU will have any problems being preferred members of any super conferences, and will enjoy all the benefits therein.

Lucky2Coach
05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
IMO, there will utltimately be only 3-4 super conferences composed of the major schools left in NCAA DI when all is said and done. I don't think UT or OU will have any problems being preferred members of any super conferences, and will enjoy all the benefits therein.

I agree with you Bull, but it won't be in the SEC. The single state schools in that conference hold the voting majority right now and they want to have SEC monopolies in their respective states for recruiting purposes.

Phil C
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
It will never happen. The Big 12 will always be here. Saying it will fold will be like those people in the 1800s who said the wild buffalo herds that roamed the west would someday be extinct.

Tejastrue
05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Something tells me that UT would flourish as an independent. OU, not so much.

MustangFootball
05-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Something tells me that UT would flourish as an independent. OU, not so much.

Probably be the best thing for them, they won't flourish in the big 12 at least not anytime soon.

Phil C
05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Big 12 Fold. Ridiculous! Soon they'll be saying it's illegal to pray in schools or at football games.

Scoop27
05-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Re form the SWC

Buff42
05-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Re form the SWC

Possibly the coolest thing you've ever said.

Old Tiger
05-27-2013, 10:39 PM
TV markets don't really matter with all the tier 1/2 and tier 3 broadcast rights now days.

Txbroadcaster
05-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Big 12 is nowhere close to folding even though it's demise was predicted a couple of years ago...it did a good job of fixing some of the key issues and is now one of the power conferences in college football

Weebe
05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
TV markets don't really matter with all the tier 1/2 and tier 3 broadcast rights now days.

Lol. Apparently you don't understand tier rights at all.

Phil C
05-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Lol. Apparently you don't understand tier rights at all.

I think he does but what he was pointing out was tv revenues. That's where the big money is.

Eagle11
05-28-2013, 01:38 PM

but your not. im tired of texas a&m acting like they won the national title last year. yes they had a great year but lets see how it turns out over the next few years. they have always wanted to hang their hat on short term success.

Lucky2Coach
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM

but your not. im tired of texas a&m acting like they won the national title last year. yes they had a great year but lets see how it turns out over the next few years. they have always wanted to hang their hat on short term success.

Hence, the hypothetical lead-in "If I were"

Great reply, Genius!

NastySlot
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Hence, the hypothetical lead-in "If I were"

Great reply, Genius!

You might confused him even more by throwing out the word Hypothetical. Try typing slower.

Lucky2Coach
05-28-2013, 02:18 PM
You might confused him even more by throwing out the word Hypothetical. Try typing slower.

That's awesome! I blame the iphone, damn technology!! Ha ha!

I am an idiot!!!!

NastySlot
05-28-2013, 02:27 PM
That's awesome! I blame the iphone, damn technology!! Ha ha!

I am an idiot!!!!

your not an idiot.

that guy is just tired he said it in his post.

Eagle11
05-29-2013, 09:17 AM

is this more a&m humor. one year does not make a program. yes the big twelve has been down the last couple of year but dont forget you couldnt compete in that weak conference. lets look at the history of the programs. how many titles can they hang from the rafters. is that Zero

msu97
05-29-2013, 09:28 AM
people must forget that KState has one of the best fan bases in the nation... that is why they are always picked for bowl games... not too many teams travel like they do....
why would the Big 12 fold? because the Aggies had a( meaning One) great year in the SEC? what does that have to do with anything... Texas has viewers and clout, OU has the same... two bell cows to tie everything to...
but if it does... UT will have every conference come calling... as will OU... OU is tied to OSU, so that may put them in the Pac, KU and KState will go together... Big 10 probably...Iowa State will draw some looks from the Big 10 as well, because of Iowa
that leaves Tech, baylor, West Virginia, and TCU... TCU and West Virginia will draw interest... leaving only Tech and Baylor to really search...

so, as a commit to either of those 8 schools, i would have nothing to worry about...
or to answer it another way... you think kids that commit to Notre Dame worry about anything?

Lucky2Coach
05-29-2013, 10:36 AM
people must forget that KState has one of the best fan bases in the nation... that is why they are always picked for bowl games... not too many teams travel like they do....
why would the Big 12 fold? because the Aggies had a( meaning One) great year in the SEC? what does that have to do with anything... Texas has viewers and clout, OU has the same... two bell cows to tie everything to...
but if it does... UT will have every conference come calling... as will OU... OU is tied to OSU, so that may put them in the Pac, KU and KState will go together... Big 10 probably...Iowa State will draw some looks from the Big 10 as well, because of Iowa
that leaves Tech, baylor, West Virginia, and TCU... TCU and West Virginia will draw interest... leaving only Tech and Baylor to really search...

so, as a commit to either of those 8 schools, i would have nothing to worry about...
or to answer it another way... you think kids that commit to Notre Dame worry about anything?

No, Notre Dame kids don't worry about it because they know where ND stands. The Longhorn network being picked up by only one provider is proof that the Horns prbably can't stand alone.

I don't think the Aggies leaving is the reason the Big 12 will fold. I think Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Missouri leaving will be the reason the Big 12 folds. Losing all or a big part of too many major tv markets will be the reason it folds!!!

msu97
05-29-2013, 12:29 PM
like it or not, UT can stand alone..., they have the fan base, the market draw... much like Notre Dame, Michigan, USC and Alabama... those are the elite schools...
Nebraska as a major market? then why is not Kansas and KState?
Colorado? Missouri?
ATM hurts because they are the Aggies... Nebraska hurts too, but losing the other two does not hurt the conference... West Virginia adds that much... TCU does not replace the Aggie fan base... but it was a good move for TCU...

like everyone else... I agree that the next conference to fold will be the ACC... not to say that the Big 12 will not... but the other 8 schools are fine... so as a recruit, it will not hurt anything...

Old Tiger
05-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Big east will fold before acc

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

NastySlot
05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
is this more a&m humor. one year does not make a program. yes the big twelve has been down the last couple of year but dont forget you couldnt compete in that weak conference. lets look at the history of the programs. how many titles can they hang from the rafters. is that Zero

Who brought up the departure of the Aggies as a reason for this make believe situation (used make believe for you) presented by the OP? Who gives a damn what you think about the Aggies and any successes they have had or might have. You re probably pissed cause you thought like so many others the Aggies would fail and get crushed that the Aggies needed the big 12 and your all mighty horns... You were wrong.

If you want to be tired of something be tired of your own schools (or teams) failures ..... It does less with more. There s you something to be tired of.

NastySlot
05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
like it or not, UT can stand alone..., they have the fan base, the market draw... much like Notre Dame, Michigan, USC and Alabama... those are the elite schools...
Colorado? Missouri?
ATM hurts because they are the Aggies... Nebraska hurts too, but losing the other two does not hurt the conference... West Virginia adds that much... TCU does not replace the Aggie fan base... but it was a good move for TCU..

like everyone else... I agree that the next conference to fold will be the ACC... not to say that the Big 12 will not... but the other 8 schools are fine... so as a recruit, it will not hurt anything...

West Virginia adds nothing it was seen as possible quick fix. Texas could add a lot to where ever they end up but I think the powers that be in austin need to change. Right now texas is like a hot chick with an std....looks good but not worth the pain of having around. Your network is good proof if there was a great demand for them why isn't everyone in our own state(market) getting it?

NastySlot
05-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Think it (BE) pretty has already. Even the basketball schools have bailed on it.

NastySlot
05-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Think it (BE) pretty much has already. Even the basketball schools have bailed on it.corrected left out word

hsbtex
05-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Colorado? Missouri?
ATM hurts because they are the Aggies... Nebraska hurts too, but losing the other two does not hurt the conference... West Virginia adds that much... TCU does not replace the Aggie fan base... but it was a good move for TCU...

Ummm...you may want to look at those ratings again on longhorn network. They are not fine on their own. Without OU in the same conference DRUBBING them every year they will not make it on their own. Just check the ratings :)

Old Tiger
05-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Ummm...you may want to look at those ratings again on longhorn network. They are not fine on their own. Without OU in the same conference DRUBBING them every year they will not make it on their own. Just check the ratings :)

LHN only picks up the Tier 3 games. Tier 1/2 go to ESPN/Fox

msu97
05-30-2013, 07:41 AM

never use facts... it is not my network, it belongs to UT, I have no affiliation with the school... and ESPN came to them...
do some of the old guard need to go? dunno, but I am sure it would not hurt...
in my line of work, I really don't care for one particular school, I tend to root for all the schools, from FBS to FCS to NAIA that has kids that I have coached on them...
I mean, ATM's former AD was fired, ummm resigned over the LHN...
UT is an elite program, Notre Dame is an elite program, Michigan is an elite program, USC is an elite program, Alabama is an elite program... they can all stand on their own, conferences will take them...
LSU, OSU and FSU are probably right on that edge...

I asked some of our kids that are being looked at by DI schools if it mattered to them if UT or OU were in a conference or if it bothered them if the Big 12 folded... they all responded no... we do have one kid that wants to go to LSU or Georgia since it is where his parents graduated from...

gatordaze
05-30-2013, 08:22 AM

LHN is not available to most that want it. Unless you can get Uverse or Grande in Texas you are out of luck. ESPN also wants to bundle it in the standard sports package. Ratings have more to do with availability than anything else.

Weebe
05-30-2013, 08:33 AM
LHN is not available to most that want it. Unless you can get Uverse or Grande in Texas you are out of luck. ESPN also wants to bundle it in the standard sports package. Ratings have more to do with availability than anything else.

Somebody failed Economics 101.

NastySlot
05-31-2013, 10:35 AM

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Newly-formed-American-Athletic-Conference-unveils-4563387.php

Eagle11
05-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Who brought up the departure of the Aggies as a reason for this make believe situation (used make believe for you) presented by the OP? Who gives a damn what you think about the Aggies and any successes they have had or might have. You re probably pissed cause you thought like so many others the Aggies would fail and get crushed that the Aggies needed the big 12 and your all mighty horns... You were wrong.

If you want to be tired of something be tired of your own schools (or teams) failures ..... It does less with more. There s you something to be tired of.

yes we should be disappointed at how The University of Texas has performed over the last few years. Thats all most Texas fans care about. We dont give a crap about the aggies and what they think about us. Texas still has the most profitable program in the nation. And no one had to bring up the departure of the aggies because anytime someone says anything about the Big 12 being down you can always look to the aggies to be first in line.

Lucky2Coach
05-31-2013, 11:26 AM
yes we should be disappointed at how The University of Texas has performed over the last few years. Thats all most Texas fans care about. We dont give a crap about the aggies and what they think about us. Texas still has the most profitable program in the nation. And no one had to bring up the departure of the aggies because anytime someone says anything about the Big 12 being down you can always look to the aggies to be first in line.

You mentioned the Aggies twice in the same sentence. You don't seem to care about them at all. You're not an alcoholic if you show up to a bar at 11:00 in the morning either!

Eagle11
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
You mentioned the Aggies twice in the same sentence. You don't seem to care about them at all. You're not an alcoholic if you show up to a bar at 11:00 in the morning either!
lets just count titles, in any or all sports it doesnt matter. UT fans dont start threads about their step sister.

OldBison75
05-31-2013, 12:15 PM
If we are all realistic, Texas will stand in whatever conference they fall into or as an independent. A & M will expand opportunities in the SEC.

The Aggies made a choice that was in the best interest of the University for both financial and other reasons. The move was not popular to many fans of other conference schools because the Aggies, like all other school in the Big 12, had committed to the conference just a few years before and jumped at what they see as a better opportunity, leaving some holes for the Big 12 to fill. No matter how you cut it, the loss of the Aggies and the fan base they bring was a blow to the conference. It has little effect on Texas as an athletic program because they have the fan base support to continue to be okay. Others, like Baylor and Texas Tech, lost so much more in terms of media exposure and therefore associated recruiting advantages.

There should not be any part of this argument that even brings in the records of either school since both have proven that they will have huge crowds whether they are 8-4 or 12-0. The biggest thing everybody needs to remember is that neither team saw an huge rise in attendance at home or a huge drop-off after the Aggies moved. That in itself shows that both programs will stay okay without each other.

This is really a moot argument because in the next five or six years, once the playoff system is fully implemented, the conference affiliations will be all changed. Super Conferences and powerful independents will rule the world. Neither Texas or Texas A & M will be left out of that format. I just wish that the two schools, and the fans, could forget the past and bring back the rivalry. It was the greatest atmosphere I have ever experienced at a college football game.

hsbtex
05-31-2013, 01:05 PM
lets just count titles, in any or all sports it doesnt matter. UT fans dont start threads about their step sister.

Little brother...I would be living in the past too!!

Do you know how much fun it would be if you ladies decided to play us....NOW :) The only question would be if the A&M side of the scoreboard could show triple digits

hsbtex
05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I think the hornies are better off in the same conference with OU...and the annual DRUBBING they get from them every year

msu97
05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
:clap::clap: this is the best stated...

If we are all realistic, Texas will stand in whatever conference they fall into or as an independent. A & M will expand opportunities in the SEC.

The Aggies made a choice that was in the best interest of the University for both financial and other reasons. The move was not popular to many fans of other conference schools because the Aggies, like all other school in the Big 12, had committed to the conference just a few years before and jumped at what they see as a better opportunity, leaving some holes for the Big 12 to fill. No matter how you cut it, the loss of the Aggies and the fan base they bring was a blow to the conference. It has little effect on Texas as an athletic program because they have the fan base support to continue to be okay. Others, like Baylor and Texas Tech, lost so much more in terms of media exposure and therefore associated recruiting advantages.

There should not be any part of this argument that even brings in the records of either school since both have proven that they will have huge crowds whether they are 8-4 or 12-0. The biggest thing everybody needs to remember is that neither team saw an huge rise in attendance at home or a huge drop-off after the Aggies moved. That in itself shows that both programs will stay okay without each other.

This is really a moot argument because in the next five or six years, once the playoff system is fully implemented, the conference affiliations will be all changed. Super Conferences and powerful independents will rule the world. Neither Texas or Texas A & M will be left out of that format. I just wish that the two schools, and the fans, could forget the past and bring back the rivalry. It was the greatest atmosphere I have ever experienced at a college football game.