PDA

View Full Version : Yeast Infection

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
I knew that would get your attention :evillol::tmi:

Actually, I do have a question but it's not what you think... Our 23 month old chocolate lab Bear, is an inside dog... he started scratching his ears like crazy in late May, early June of last year.. Our longtime vet had retired a few months earlier and I didn't have a new one yet. I needed to get his heart worm shot anyway so I made an appt with a vet in Yoakum. He took one look into Bear's ears ( he was 1 yr old June 2012) and said that Bear had a massive YEAST INFECTION in his inner ears..

Poor Baby - without going into detail, I can only imagine the misery he'd been going through.. So the vet irrigated the ears then put this waxy substance in both ears.. aka packed his ears.... He said the waxy stuff would melt and trickle down into the deep part of his ears. He also prescribed huge pills (antibiotics) for 20 days... After a day or two - Bear was back to his usual self.

Well, in March this year, he started scratching and moaning again, just like last June. We have a new vet here in Cuero and I called and made an appt and he took one look in Bear's ears and confirmed he had another massive yeast infection. He took Bear to the back and I don' t want to know what he did..(the sound was horrible) his ears were all waxy when he came out but he was calmed down. He took 20 days of meds and I took him back and Dr said he had a little bit of yeast infection but was 95% better but he went on and packed his ears one more time. I am taking him back in early June for his Heartworm shot again and hope he is 100% clear..

Have any of you ever had experience with dogs getting yeast infections? Bear doesn't have access to any body of water to swim in and when we bathe him, he might get a little bit but very little water in his ears. Dr said he might have allergies.. Just wanted to get some feedback on what could be causing the infections.. allergies? or what else it could be I hope it's not allergies.. ...

bigwood33
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Sorry, no help here.

slingshot
05-23-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm a human doctor so... might want to have him screened for diabetes. Diabetics (uncontrolled) tend to get recurrent yeast infections. Also could be some form of immune deficiency. Also could be none of the above because I know squat about dog medical problems.

Cam
05-23-2013, 01:43 PM
....and just when I thought we were gonna have some serious woman talk!......

Yeasties can also run rampant due to diet.......what are you feedin' that doggie?......Sugars are a yeasties best friend!.....I met Doug Kaufmann - nutrition expert based in Dallas many moons ago. He was a yeast "expert" who blamed most cases on improper nutrition. Doug now hosts the show, "Know The Cause". That dude was way ahead of his time on the subject of fungi.

Good reading:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Yeast-Syndrome-Identify-Yeast-Related/dp/0553277510/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369334626&sr=8-1&keywords=the+yeast+syndrome

......I'd give you my copy but I accidently fell asleep on it one night, yeasties came flyin' outta my ass, and they ate the book!.....:doh:

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm a human doctor so... might want to have him screened for diabetes. Diabetics (uncontrolled) tend to get recurrent yeast infections. Also could be some form of immune deficiency. Also could be none of the above because I know squat about dog medical problems.

Thanks =- I'll talk to his Vet about some screenings.. Glad I write my Vet's insurance - we might be able to work out a deal on expenses ha ha ha plus, he's an Aggie - think I'll wear my Aggie gear and put my oldest son's Aggie bandana on Bear.,. anything to save a buck ;)

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
....and just when I thought we were gonna have some serious woman talk!......

Yeasties can also run rampant due to diet.......what are you feedin' that doggie?......Sugars are a yeasties best friend!.....I met Doug Kaufmann - nutrition expert based in Dallas many moons ago. He was a yeast "expert" who blamed most cases on improper nutrition. Doug now hosts the show, "Know The Cause". That dude was way ahead of his time on the subject of fungi.

Good reading:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Yeast-Syndrome-Identify-Yeast-Related/dp/0553277510/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369334626&sr=8-1&keywords=the+yeast+syndrome

......I'd give you my copy but I accidently fell asleep on it one night, yeasties came flyin' outta my ass, and they ate the book!.....:doh:

Cam - a "closet Downlow reader" who isn't signed up but reads.. just called me with the same advise about the food. He said his lab was allergic to the corn products in the food - changed to lamb and rice and he's not allergic anymore....

We made the mistake of feeding our dearly departed lab, Rio (he was a good one) anything he wanted and he was overweight and ate way too much people food.. We swore we wouldn't do that with Bear and we've stuck to our guns.. He gets the occasional steak bone but for the most part he is a strictly PEDIGREE SMALL CHUNKS doggie. I do give him those bone treats in the big bag that I get from Pet Smart.. I should read those ingredients too. Thanks!!

Cam
05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Cam - a "closet Downlow reader" who isn't signed up but reads.. just called me with the same advise about the food. He said his lab was allergic to the corn products in the food - changed to lamb and rice and he's not allergic.. Thanks!!

Well I'll be!....I ain't no doctor...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!.....

MUSTANG69
05-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Pray that it isn't allergies. Our dog has allergies. $ 30.00 for an 8 lb bag of dog food.

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Pray that it isn't allergies. Our dog has allergies. $ 30.00 for an 8 lb bag of dog food.

That's what I am afraid of.. yikes................

lostaussie
05-23-2013, 03:12 PM
DINO VITE is't got to be good cause everyones dog that ate it got better from anything that was wrong with them............search for it.................jeez I listen to way to much sports radio:D

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks Lost.. I'll check it out ;)

lostaussie
05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks Lost.. I'll check it out ;)let me help you:D http://www.dinovite.com/

lostaussie
05-23-2013, 03:22 PM
let me help you:D http://www.dinovite.com/ says it helps yeast..............order some today:thumbsup:

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 03:25 PM
says it helps yeast..............order some today:thumbsup:

woohoo... I am going to get some of this stuff............ thanks Lost AUssie!

"Since 2001, our best supplement for dogs has helped over 200,000 dogs get over all sorts of nutritional deficiency diseases, including yeast on dogs." from http://www.dinovite.com/

bobcat1
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
let me help you:D http://www.dinovite.com/

It brought this to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19PpD5uqL0

Blastoderm55
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
My dog has large ears and is very susceptible to yeast infection. Our vet prescribes drops that do a great job.

As far as food is concerned, I highly recommend Wellness brand dog food. Limited ingredients and no filler. It's about $30 for a 15 pound bag, but my buddy is small so it lasts about a month.

pancho villa
05-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Put him down!

Buff42
05-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Sorry, no help here.

Then why reply at all?

Ranger354
05-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Funny what we go through for our pets. I have had to deal with water and mites in dogs ears. Two different labs. Tough going both times. I did have a vet tell me one of our dogs was allergic to grass... We took him home and dipped him in good old cattle dip..and that took care of it. Turned out it was the mange..

Ville-D
06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Wow, I just spent the last half hour watching a guy make his own dog food.... Looks like fun. I wonder if i can get my wife to do this?