PDA

View Full Version : All Sports Banquets

maestro
05-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Ok it's the season

My question...

How long should they last?

How long would you sit in a banquet before it becomes painfully uncomfortable?

Had a friend tell me this am that our local banquet went from 6 until 10:00

My kids are long gone from hs sports so I did not go but the guest speaker went last .

Is it rude to make a guest speaker sit that long?

44INAROW
05-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Cuero doesn't have guest speakers anymore.. it's all about our atheletes. Good BBQ prepared by the booster club members (99% of them have no kids active anymore) the teams/players and their accomplishments are recognized and we're on the way home.

Bassact
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Liberty Hill just does a Sports recognition breakfast. Last maybe a hour or so.

hookandladder
05-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Just had our Sports Banquet last week, went from 6 to 9:30 with no guest speaker. It was long however can you put a time on recognizing your Athletes, sometimes you just have to gut it up for the kids.

Scoop27
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Going to East Bernard's tonight. Starts at 6:30 and will last to 10
They have a lot to celebrate with state football and track titles
EB grad and Houston Texans punter Shane Lechler will be the guest speaker and they have video show as well

Rabid Cougar
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Ok it's the season

My question...

How long should they last?

How long would you sit in a banquet before it becomes painfully uncomfortable?

Had a friend tell me this am that our local banquet went from 6 until 10:00

My kids are long gone from hs sports so I did not go but the guest speaker went last .

Is it rude to make a guest speaker sit that long?

BANQUETS SHOULD BE BANNED! Speaking from a parent who has had to sit through them from one extreme ( kid just having named called) to the other (It was all about his kid). I'd rather be in a firefight in Afghanistan than have to sit through those things.

maestro
05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Just had our Sports Banquet last week, went from 6 to 9:30 with no guest speaker. It was long however can you put a time on recognizing your Athletes, sometimes you just have to gut it up for the kids.

Yes, one night a year...guess you are correct.

Reads like most booster clubs have done away with guest speakers.

Red&White_9x5
05-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Here is something I have seen in the past and it really speeds things up a lot! Instead of going through every single sport and recognizing the same kids over and over, Just have them line up, introduce them each one time and announce all sports that they participated in. Start with the girls announce them all once, then do the same with the boys, and be done with it in an hour or so.

Scoop27
05-22-2013, 02:15 PM
East Bernard was actually over by 9:30 last night-Shane Lechler had a short 15 minute special speaker address and talking about East Bernard and the kids more than his college or pro career, and praised the community and the kids and their dedication and success. Each coach had enough time for each sport. Even Jerry Long didnt talke long about the football state championship was well as Wade Bossefor track. Great barbecue brisket and sausage by Schultz's in Rosenberg. Kind of surprised they didn't use Vinceks in East Bernard.

LH Panther Mom
05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Cuero doesn't have guest speakers anymore..
The last guest speaker Liberty Hill had was during the '97-98 school year. It was Spike Dykes. Our HC/AD at the time knew him from somewhere around here - Comanche/Ballinger (I forget lol!). I have to say that I was quite embarrassed at the behavior of the "honorees" while he spoke.

Liberty Hill just does a Sports recognition breakfast. Last maybe a hour or so.
Heavy on the "or so". ;)

toddg
05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Alvarado has 2 each year..fall sports banquet, and a spring sports banquet..food is good, and not too drawn out at each..

Scoop27
05-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Some smaller schools combine sport and academics together because schools can't afford it.