PDA

View Full Version : FNF Magazine Projected Div. I and Div. II Championship Matchups

Matthew328
05-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Div. I Stephenville vs. Carthage
Div. II Gilmer vs. Bellville

Lucky2Coach
05-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Is the new magazine out for 2013?

Matthew328
05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Not yet

regaleagle
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm not gonna pick a division for Argyle, but I will pick them to make it to the final this season regardless of the division. I think this team overall is very balanced, and will be very tough to defeat. Our qb Boyzuick will be much improved this season as a Sr. to lead the offensive attack, and I fully expect the defense and special teams to again be very strong against the toughest of competition.

Lucky2Coach
05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Who do you have in the 4A games?

marler1972
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
heard rumors of a different qb. just saying

regaleagle
05-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Well, Argyle does have a new OC in Shay Nanny for this season, so anything's possible. I suspect a few changes will take place on the offensive side, but I don't see Argyle going away from the passing game that much, esp. with Sadler in his Sr. year. Ralston will be a force at rb like the past 2 seasons, and he will be a Jr. He's nothing short of a beast at running back....puredee powerful with sneaky speed. There are a stable of rb's and recievers that have the talent to really step up this season that started or platooned regularly all last season. Overall, this should be Argyle's most talented group thus far.....top to bottom. To me, the qb is the key to how successful this team will be. We'll see what transpires....maybe a two-qb system???

Matthew328
05-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Sadler played quite a bit of QB Saturday

marler1972
05-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Sadler played quite a bit of QB Saturday

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

CTS
05-20-2013, 07:46 AM

On paper a Gilmer-La Marque match-up would seem to make sense, on paper being the important phrase. Gilmer was in the finals and you could argue that the Navasota-La Marque game last year was the Division 2 State Game.

Fact is all these things are great to debate and discuss but who's healthy, eligible, has a good playoff draw, makes plays when it counts etc. all factors in.

buckeyebob
05-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Well, Argyle does have a new OC in Shay Nanny for this season, so anything's possible. I suspect a few changes will take place on the offensive side, but I don't see Argyle going away from the passing game that much, esp. with Sadler in his Sr. year. Ralston will be a force at rb like the past 2 seasons, and he will be a Jr. He's nothing short of a beast at running back....puredee powerful with sneaky speed. There are a stable of rb's and recievers that have the talent to really step up this season that started or platooned regularly all last season. Overall, this should be Argyle's most talented group thus far.....top to bottom. To me, the qb is the key to how successful this team will be. We'll see what transpires....maybe a two-qb system???

We have Barr back as QB...a good stack of runners (won dist. track) & catchers (7on7 is showning some new & old talent) & a new stadium remodel...look forward to Argyle this year...keeps everyone on their toes .

jason
05-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Stephenville lost quite a bit - making the finals would be quite a run.

Sville
05-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Sville's success will depend on the health of Stidham at QB.

hollywood
05-20-2013, 10:55 AM
I think Stephenville has a realistic shot. Enough talent is there. It all depends on how well the team gels since Jones, Westbrook, Gunter, Varnado, and Sanchez were SR's. All had strong leadership quality. Who'll step up as the leader(s) this season? That's to be determined. Stidham and Mookie will likely fill that role. I agree with Sville on that it will depend on Stidham staying healthy. Hasn't shown signs of injury yet but the calibar level of QB falls drastically beyond him. Also want to add that a RB will need to step up to fill Westbrook's spot.

We shall see. Looking forward to another great season of HS football.

Ernest T Bass
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
There are some good guys on that Bellville staff. I always said it was just a matter of time before they got the show under the current regime.

cowboyandchrist
05-20-2013, 08:27 PM

I have said all along, it will be Carthage and the Ville for the D1 title. I also believe Gimer will be there, but I would have to put my money on LaMarque playing Gilmer. Ether way, I want to see the Dawgs and the Ville for all the marbles.

hollywood
05-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I have said all along, it will be Carthage and the Ville for the D1 title. I also believe Gimer will be there, but I would have to put my money on LaMarque playing Gilmer. Ether way, I want to see the Dawgs and the Ville for all the marbles.

Cowboy, that's 2 times in 1 day I agree! Record

Manso/V8
05-20-2013, 11:19 PM
On paper a Gilmer-La Marque match-up would seem to make sense, on paper being the important phrase. Gilmer was in the finals and you could argue that the Navasota-La Marque game last year was the Division 2 State Game.

Fact is all these things are great to debate and discuss but who's healthy, eligible, has a good playoff draw, makes plays when it counts etc. all factors in.

No, it is mostly the La Marque fans, coaches, and your local paper that think the Navasota-La Marque game last year was the D2 state championship.

I am not saying that Bellville would have beat La Marque, but most that are well familiar with both teams would not say the outcome of that
hypothetical game would be a foregone conclusion either way.

If you ask the Navasota players and fans, most will say that La Marque, West Orange Stark, and Bellville all had the goods to make it to
the SC. Some Navasota players have told me that Bellville was the toughest opponent of the three, but we'll take that with a grain of
salt since they know I am from Bellville. The same kids said La Marque had the talent, but they didn't have the team or the execution.

I don't mean to put down La Marque at all.
It is just that the thought and the repeated statements that the state championship game was played in the third round has grown a bit tiresome.

I know La Marque has a great history and has won many titles, but that doesn't mean the Coogs are entitled.
When the coaches and local paper make statements that the SC was played in the third round and complain about enrollment numbers, I think it sends the wrong message to the La Marque players.

Manso/V8
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM

Go Brahmas!
The Bulls have a lot coming back this year, but also some positions to be filled.

Old Tiger
05-21-2013, 12:13 AM
I think Stephenville has a realistic shot. Enough talent is there. It all depends on how well the team gels since Jones, Westbrook, Gunter, Varnado, and Sanchez were SR's. All had strong leadership quality. Who'll step up as the leader(s) this season? That's to be determined. Stidham and Mookie will likely fill that role. I agree with Sville on that it will depend on Stidham staying healthy. Hasn't shown signs of injury yet but the calibar level of QB falls drastically beyond him. Also want to add that a RB will need to step up to fill Westbrook's spot.

We shall see. Looking forward to another great season of HS football.They will make it out of their crap region.

refereedoc
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
They will make it out of their crap region.

I am sure Abilene Wylie, Graham, Brownwood, and Gatesville folks really appreciate your:hand: comment.

Matthew328
05-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Region I does look to be noticeably weaker in 2013

hollywood
05-21-2013, 09:44 AM
They will make it out of their crap region.

Well, crap! I thought Reg 1 might get voted toughest Reg in Texas. Oh well. HS football according to Ole Tigre. ;)

regaleagle
05-21-2013, 10:42 AM
There are very good teams in all 4 regions across the state in 3A nowadays. The regional winners coming out will all be very formidable teams that could win a state championship. To say this team or that team is a clear-cut favorite to win it all.....I don't think you can say that about 3A anymore. Navasota had a fantastic year last season, but still had some very key wins on their road to the championship game, and then played their best game of the year against Gilmer to cap off a stellar season. But there were still other teams last season that lost only one game to one of the finalists. Stephenville also had a great team last season, but there were a number of contenders that could have beat either one of these teams had the ball bounced differently, so to speak. Injuries, a big play, a penalty, a bad call.....any of these circumstances can sink the ship of a team that COULD win it all.

Sville
05-21-2013, 10:50 AM

We shall see. Looking forward to another great season of HS football.

Jarrett Stidham and Mookie Carlile will definitely be the headliners of this team as both have already picked up D1 offers. The OL returns 4 starters but the one they lost, Bryan Manley is a big loss literally and figuratively. The WR/TE core will be very solid with Martin, Morrison, Walker, Sweet, and whoever emerges for the other wideout spot. RB is a big question mark at this point.

Defensively the Jackets will return IMO, a preseason all-state pick in DE Jonah Noah but lost NT-Hook and all-state DE Varnado who both went on to the next level. The majority of the LB core returns with both ILB Jackson and Beavers. Levisay returns who started at OLB before an ACL injury ended his season and Josh Gillespie who saw significant time at OLB returns as well. Both safeties return with the aforementioned Carlile at FS and Isham at SS. The Jackets must replace both CBs. CB will be another big question mark. Last year's CB's Brown and Petit both had very good speed and to my knowledge the Jackets will be slower at that position this coming year but not necessarily worse. Oh we also have a very good place kicker returning.

Prediction wise I believe the Jackets will win region 1 and anything can happen from there.

Edit: Hollywood I know you know all this already it was more for everyone else.

hollywood
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
There are very good teams in all 4 regions across the state in 3A nowadays. The regional winners coming out will all be very formidable teams that could win a state championship. To say this team or that team is a clear-cut favorite to win it all.....I don't think you can say that about 3A anymore. Navasota had a fantastic year last season, but still had some very key wins on their road to the championship game, and then played their best game of the year against Gilmer to cap off a stellar season. But there were still other teams last season that lost only one game to one of the finalists. Stephenville also had a great team last season, but there were a number of contenders that could have beat either one of these teams had the ball bounced differently, so to speak. Injuries, a big play, a penalty, a bad call.....any of these circumstances can sink the ship of a team that COULD win it all.

Very true regal, but that's why we call them predictions! Not guarantee's. ;)

hollywood
05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Jarrett Stidham and Mookie Carlile will definitely be the headliners of this team as both have already picked up D1 offers. The OL returns 4 starters but the one they lost, Bryan Manley is a big loss literally and figuratively. The WR/TE core will be very solid with Martin, Morrison, Walker, Sweet, and whoever emerges for the other wideout spot. RB is a big question mark at this point.

Defensively the Jackets will return IMO, a preseason all-state pick in DE Jonah Noah but lost NT-Hook and all-state DE Varnado who both went on to the next level. The majority of the LB core returns with both ILB Jackson and Beavers. Levisay returns who started at OLB before an ACL injury ended his season and Josh Gillespie who saw significant time at OLB returns as well. Both safeties return with the aforementioned Carlile at FS and Isham at SS. The Jackets must replace both CBs. CB will be another big question mark. Last year's CB's Brown and Petit both had very good speed and to my knowledge the Jackets will be slower at that position this coming year but not necessarily worse. Oh we also have a very good place kicker returning.

Prediction wise I believe the Jackets will win region 1 and anything can happen from there.

Great post Sville!

DKfromDUB
05-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Is it August yet??? :cheerl:

Old Tiger
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Well, crap! I thought Reg 1 might get voted toughest Reg in Texas. Oh well. HS football according to Ole Tigre. ;)

I didn't know they played football in that region till last year ;)

refereedoc
05-21-2013, 01:33 PM
6 man:crazy1:

cowboyandchrist
05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

I agree with everything you said. I know Carthage should be the favorite with all 11 starters back on an offense that can score every time they have the ball. Last year Carthage averaged 5 + turn overs a game, but the defense bailed them out time and time again. This year they will fix that problem. They have many three year starters back on the line, QB, RB, and wr. I honestly believe they will have the best offensive line in the state, size, strength, and quickness. The defense is the only question I have on how good they will be. This year if they make two to three stops a game, the offense will roll. Carthage lost some great D linemen, but that should not be a problem for the university of linemen. You were right, there are teams all over the state that can play with Carthage and the Ville. I can tell you right now we have another one from east Texas, the Kilgore Bull Dawgs that will challenge for the right to play for the title. They will be better than last year and they will not forget what happened in the game against the Ville. I still pick Gilmer in DII to play for the title, they will be the real deal. They bring back almost everyone and for the first time since 2004 they have speed, speed and more speed. East Texas may or may not win a title this year, but I believe to win the title a team will have to beat a team from the East. My sleeper team from the East is Palastine, they gave Carthage one heck of a ball game last year in the playoffs.

easttexas3a
05-23-2013, 09:27 AM
My sleeper team from the East is Palastine, they gave Carthage one heck of a ball game last year in the playoffs.

As a Palestine resident now for the past few years I have become a wildcat fan.

It sure would of been nice had that game happened in the 3rd round instead of the first, because it was clearly the two best teams in D1 Region 3 last year.

I think Carthage will still be just a little bit better, but I have a feeling we will be seeing eachother again. I believe we will play Jasper in the first round which will be no joke, but I have a feelign this years Palestine team can make a real run.

Carthage is loaded.....absolutely LOADED.

Saw Gilmer once last year, and they will have some burners back.

East Texas in 3a next year will have a lot of quality teams.