PDA

View Full Version : La Marque’s Julien Lewis leaving Texas

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 12:29 PM
La Marque’s Julien Lewis leaving Texas

Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:05 am
By John DeLapp
AUSTIN — Texas sophomore guard Julien Lewis has been granted his release and will become the third player to leave the Longhorns since they finished a disappointing season 16-18 and missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in 15 years.
The school announced the departure Tuesday.

Lewis, a La Marque product, started 21 games and averaged 11.2 points for the Longhorns this year.
As a freshman, Lewis averaged 7.8 points and 3.6 rebounds, starting 25 games.

Lewis led La Marque to the Class 4A state title game in his senior year, averaging 25.8 points per game. In the championship game, Lewis scored 26 points, pulled down six rebounds, had four steals and three assists, but the Cougars fell to Dallas Kimball, 78-64.

Lewis was selected player of the year in District 24-4A in his sophomore, junior and senior seasons.

Texas is now without its top three scorers from last season. Guard Sheldon McClellan, who led the Longhorns in scoring most of the season but clashed with coach Rick Barnes, left the team earlier this year. Myck Kabongo, who was voted the team’s most valuable player despite sitting out a 23-game NCAA suspension, left school to enter the NBA draft.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Sports Editor John DeLapp at 409-683-5242 or john.delapp@galvnews.com.

maestro
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Two comments

The transfers in college div. 1 are out of control

Coaches WILL every year try and recruit over the current players.

I don't like the " well I'm leaving" attitudes from div 1 to another div 1
If you don't pan out at div 1, I support transferring down .

I also support kids moving if there is a coaching change...should continue without losing a year.

These kids leaving Texas ....starters...scoring double figures....heck, stay and do your best there.

maestro
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Ok, 5 comments
Haha

1971Coogs
05-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Two comments

The transfers in college div. 1 are out of control

Coaches WILL every year try and recruit over the current players.

I don't like the " well I'm leaving" attitudes from div 1 to another div 1
If you don't pan out at div 1, I support transferring down .

I also support kids moving if there is a coaching change...should continue without losing a year.

These kids leaving Texas ....starters...scoring double figures....heck, stay and do your best there.I'm really not sure what's going on there. I only read comments made from Texas Alum who are not too pleased with the current basketball coaching staff.