PDA

View Full Version : Best Fishing Lake In Texas?

Bullaholic
05-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Where is it and what type of fishing is it/them known for? Why do you like it/them? Reckon Lostaussie or Bobcat1 will have any opinions on this? :D

Fish lies are fine...:D Probably ought to include rivers and streams in our discussion, also...

44INAROW
05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Where is it and what type of fishing is it/them known for? Why do you like it/them? Reckon Lostaussie or Bobcat1 will have any opinions on this? :D

I am sure Lost and Bobcat1 will have info ... I have one word of advice, if anyone goes to Choke Canyon - take a big a$$ gun, just in case there is another 800 lb alligator and it comes after you :)

Bullaholic
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I am sure Lost and Bobcat1 will have info ... I have one word of advice, if anyone goes to Choke Canyon - take a big a$$ gun, just in case there is another 800 lb alligator and it comes after you :)

Dang 44---you're supposed to put a knife between your teeth, dive in and grab that gator---fried gator is good eatin'. Of course, a few cold ones before the attempt might also be necessary.....:D

Bullaholic
05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Some of the most fun fishing I ever had was wading the Gabriel with my dad behind his house at Georgetown some years ago. Water so clear you could see the fish come out from under a rock to take the bait.

cougartino
05-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I prefer salt water near any jetty, but I used to go to Lake McQueeny as a kid.

Cam
05-16-2013, 12:50 PM
For me it's the lake by some land I own....if you Google Earth : Hollis Trail, Burnet, TX you'll see my favorite fishin' hole! Full of largemouth and water is crazy clear!.......bullaholic, if you're ever round these parts, I'll take ya!.....and I'll promise to avoid any bodily function humor!....:thumbsup:

lostaussie
05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
I like Bob Sandlin and Lake o' Pines for crappie but there are lots of good crappie lakes in Texas............these 2 just happen to hold all of my brush piles:D. Bass are good on any lake in Northeast Texas I just don't fish much for them...........waste of time in my opinion. I have an offshore trip booked in Cabo:D in 3 weeks.............I'll let you know how that fishing is :D

lostaussie
05-16-2013, 01:26 PM
For me it's the lake by some land I own....if you Google Earth : Hollis Trail, Burnet, TX you'll see my favorite fishin' hole! Full of largemouth and water is crazy clear!.......bullaholic, if you're ever round these parts, I'll take ya!.....and I'll promise to avoid any bodily function humor!....:thumbsup: I love fishing those clear water tanks in the hill country........just beautiful

44INAROW
05-16-2013, 02:00 PM
I like Bob Sandlin and Lake o' Pines for crappie but there are lots of good crappie lakes in Texas............these 2 just happen to hold all of my brush piles:D. Bass are good on any lake in Northeast Texas I just don't fish much for them...........waste of time in my opinion. I have an offshore trip booked in Cabo:D in 3 weeks.............I'll let you know how that fishing is :D
if anyone knows this answer, it would be you.. My mom is from Monroe and daddy was from Alexandria - all my cousins live in NE Louisiana - they are all avid fishermen.. I remember them going out and using BRIM (not sure of the spelling but that's what it sounds like) as bait.. Seems they looked like Perch to me. Do you have any idea what kind of fish I am talking about?

Cam
05-16-2013, 02:13 PM
if anyone knows this answer, it would be you.. My mom is from Monroe and daddy was from Alexandria - all my cousins live in NE Louisiana - they are all avid fishermen.. I remember them going out and using BRIM (not sure of the spelling but that's what it sounds like) as bait.. Seems they looked like Perch to me. Do you have any idea what kind of fish I am talking about?

......:thinking:....is it "bream"?......I just don't know....now I'm all stressed out!......I need a Klonopin pill now!.....

SHSBulldog00
05-16-2013, 02:22 PM
When I was young we use to have a place on Lake LBJ. (Sunrise Beach) Haven't been there in a while.

A place that is suppose to be good for Bass is Falcon Lake, but you better be careful with the drug cartels in the area.

Lake Somerville was good for Crappie and Bass.

lostaussie
05-16-2013, 02:36 PM
if anyone knows this answer, it would be you.. My mom is from Monroe and daddy was from Alexandria - all my cousins live in NE Louisiana - they are all avid fishermen.. I remember them going out and using BRIM (not sure of the spelling but that's what it sounds like) as bait.. Seems they looked like Perch to me. Do you have any idea what kind of fish I am talking about?Spelling is indiferent to me. i use the bream or brim or as I call them perch or bluegills on my flathead lines every Friday and Saturday night this time of year. For those of you not in the know Flathead = Opelousas catfish............the same kind you see those guys catching with their bare hands on TV. We catch a lot of flatheads and channel cats on Bob Sandlin although we turn all the channels loose. If it weren't for chasing big whitetails I would probably fish every weekend:D

44INAROW
05-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Spelling is indiferent to me. i use the bream or brim or as I call them perch or bluegills on my flathead lines D

Thanks.. I knew you'd know;)

Bullaholic
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
When I was younger---which is when I had the most time to fish (living life backwards, I guess...:D), I used to love to fish for bass early on quiet mornings using a devil's horse topwater bait.

greendawg84
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Fish lies are fine...:D Probably ought to include rivers and streams in our discussion, also...

LBJ / Travis Best bikinis. ;)

Black Bass Lake Marble Falls , not any real big ones in there but you can catch a bunch every time you go on a Sinko.

Cam
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
When I was young we use to have a place on Lake LBJ. (Sunrise Beach) Haven't been there in a while.

A place that is suppose to be good for Bass is Falcon Lake, but you better be careful with the drug cartels in the area.

Lake Somerville was good for Crappie and Bass.

Falcon is crazy good! My brother in law and his sons go often. They live nearby. Everything they catch on Falcon ain't little!...It's safe for the most part...just gotta know what areas to avoid....

Saggy Aggie
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Somerville is pretty badass for crappie.

Old roommate lived on LBJ, great place to go wake boarding

Mojo84
05-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Falcon. Just be careful and pay plenty of attention. It also helps to be heavily armed.

easttexas3a
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Love to Fish Lake Fork when I get a chance. Really a good bass lake.

Cedar Creek Lake has been good to me over the years for catfish......usually go at night and put several poles in the water. Find out what they like to eat that night, and sit back and enjoy a good beverage.

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
I fish Lake Fork almost every weekend if I'm not Jet Skiing on Texoma or Lavon. Although Falcon has come on strong in recent years there isn't another Big Bass lake in Texas that can touch it. There are a lot of really good crappy on Fork also but i don't fish for them because I'm strickly in it for the sport. And when the Large Mouth aren't biting I can always spend hours catching sand bass until I'm exhausted. Besides, I think Lake Fork has like 15 of the top 20 largest bass records for the state. On any given cast you can catch a bass of a lifetime on Fork. I don't get that feeling fishing elsewhere.

lostaussie
05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Lake Fork..........the guys I work with call it "the tourist attraction" :D We stay as far away as possible:thumbsup:

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Lake Fork..........the guys I work with call it "the tourist attraction" :D We stay as far away as possible:thumbsup:

since you have already said you don't bass fish then I guess I understand. And there is no doubt that lake draws a lot of people. I think they have at least 1 tournament there every single weekend.............

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 01:31 PM

You know during the peak season it does get a little crazy on fork during the weekends. I try to go up and night fish on Texoma a lot during July and August. I have gotten into schools of stripers at times where I catch 60 or 70 fish in just a few hours. Lot's of fun and every once in while you can hook up with a 10lber...................

bigwood33
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Whitesboro is midway between Texoma and Ray Roberts and they are both very good.

Cam
05-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Whitesboro is midway between Texoma and Ray Roberts and they are both very good.

bigwood has spoken!.....that name still scares the hell outta me!.....

Bullaholic
05-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Texoma is one of the bigger lakes in the state. Anybody ever fish another big lake-- Toledo Bend?

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Texoma is one of the bigger lakes in the state. Anybody ever fish another big lake-- Toledo Bend?

I know some people have some Large mouth success on Texoma and if I'm not mistaken a 10lber was caught in that lake this past winter. But I have rarely ever had much largemouth success their. Stripers are awesome though.

BTW: I will be looking for some "large mouths" on Memorial day weekend when I island hop on the jet Skis.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_bycpOoixM

SHSBulldog00
05-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I went with my dad this morning to a local private lake and caught 38 crappie. Most were good size. Took me about 2 1/2 hrs. They were running about 18 inches deep early and then about 4-5 ft when the wind picked up.

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I went with my dad this morning to a local private lake and caught 38 crappie. Most were good size. Took me about 2 1/2 hrs. They were running about 18 inches deep early and then about 4-5 ft when the wind picked up.

I caught a 16" crappie on a 3" swimbait last saturday on lake fork. Fishing for bass in the stumps when that big ol' slab smashed it. That crappie thought she was a bass!!!

Old Tiger
05-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I like Somerville...crappie, white bass, and catfish

Bullaholic
05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I like Somerville...crappie, white bass, and catfish

An then there's the Yegua, Brushy, Gabriel and Alcoa....:D

Cam
05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I know some people have some Large mouth success on Texoma and if I'm not mistaken a 10lber was caught in that lake this past winter. But I have rarely ever had much largemouth success their. Stripers are awesome though.

BTW: I will be looking for some "large mouths" on Memorial day weekend when I island hop on the jet Skis.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_bycpOoixM

....speakin' of Stripers.....I live on the river bottoms of Buchanan Dam....bout 3 years ago when they opened the floodgates for a few days, we hit the rushing white waters....it was one striper after another......then as soon as the gates were closed, the hybrids starting hitting but the stripers quit......but it was a crazy day fishin'......they have not opened the gates since then because of the drought......dang!.....It's all Greendawgs fault it hasn't rained much the last couple of years........

Bullaholic
05-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Cam, in the latter 50's my brother used to gig gar below the Buchanan Dam on Inks. Spent many a summer vacation in the 50's and early 60's at Inks Lake.

Old Tiger
05-17-2013, 06:00 PM
An then there's the Yegua, Brushy, Gabriel and Alcoa....:D
monster catfish in Alcoa, literally.

Gone Fishing
05-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Well, Gone Fishing has fished most of the big lakes mentioned above, and have done very well at times, but the best lake I have ever fished for more reasons than just the fish, is Mallard Lake in West Columbia (Private 400 acre lake. It's got everything ! I wish I was there right now........

Farmer Fran
05-18-2013, 10:32 PM
As a former tournament fisherman, I always preferred Sam Rayburn in East Texas along with Lake Limestone and Coleta Creek.

Choke Canyon was also a favorite, won my first tournement there.