PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to win a state championship?

Cam
05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
I'd like to hear from those who have been there. Like last year's champs, Navasota and Stephenville. Obviously, good coaching, good players, and staying injury free play a roll. But what are some other things? I'd like to know from the Stephenville & Navasota folks and anyone else how well their players got along with each other. Did that even matter? How important is team comradery/chemistry and how early should it begin? I remember back in North Mesquite. Always had great talent. But the team underachieved. I remember one player telling me the freshmen didn't get along with the sophomores, the sophs didn't get along with the juniors, and so on and so on. Anybody got opinions?

1971Coogs
05-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Well obviously I'm not Navasota or Stephenville, but I have been on the ground floor from start to finish with every La Marque Cougar team since 1971..having been involved with and attended all 10 (yes I said 10) State Title appearances.

1) It's starts at home..the grandparents played La Marque football, the parents played La Marque football, the brother, the uncle....etc. I think you catch my drift. Most of the teams that went to the title had strong influences at home to over achieve. Not all teams from La Marque are championship caliber, but from the first day of practice the dream of being a champion was already brainwashed into their mind while they were watching the game from the stands at an early age.
2)Community and Alumni involvement...when the student athletes know the community and those who once played on "Hallowed Ground" in La Marque are there to support them. That is a powerful thing. We call it La Marque Mystique.
3)Mindset....watch the game ( hilite video I posted up) between La Marque and Navasota. La Marque was not La Marque that night, not taking anything away from Navasota because they deserved the win and the ring. But on another given night.....well we'll never know. There is always next year :thinking:

Old Tiger
05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
1) Coaching
2) Work Ethics
4) Community Support
5) Athletes

1971Coogs
05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh...by the way, nice thread Cam(shaft)

Old Tiger
05-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Oh...by the way, nice thread Cam(shaft)

Nice nickname, do you like the shaft?

hollywood
05-15-2013, 05:36 PM
See my sig. ;)

hollywood
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
On a serious note...

1.) Good coaching
2.) Hard work ethic (players and coaches)
3.) Gifted talent
4.) Community support
5.) Team chemistry
6.) A little luck
7.) Having someone aka Hollywood supporting your team! :crazy1:

1971Coogs
05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Nice nickname, do you like the shaft?

Back in the day when I was racing dirt bikes it was cool to have a machine with double overhead cam shafts :crazy1: Then I got married and had two sons...and you know the name of that tune. Now I am an owner of a lumberyard and get the shaft from my customers from time to time. Not sure if that answered you question or if it was one. I was still kinda waiting on your answer to my thread a few weeks back in regards to the camerawork for the Galveston County Monarchs, but who am I to hijack this nice thread. I'm going back to watching my Terry TV:nerd:

panfan
05-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I'd like to hear from those who have been there. Like last year's champs, Navasota and Stephenville. Obviously, good coaching, good players, and staying injury free play a roll. But what are some other things? I'd like to know from the Stephenville & Navasota folks and anyone else how well their players got along with each other. Did that even matter? How important is team comradery/chemistry and how early should it begin? I remember back in North Mesquite. Always had great talent. But the team underachieved. I remember one player telling me the freshmen didn't get along with the sophomores, the sophs didn't get along with the juniors, and so on and so on. Anybody got opinions?

It starts with coaching, and I'm not just talkng about someone good with the X's and O's. The coach must know his game, understand his talent, motivate that talent to go beyond what they themsleves thought physically possible, and above all instill leadership top down from coaches, and from within player to player. Average athletes can be made to do amazing things if the coaching is there, and amazing athletes can be duds if its not. My HS was full of move ins, transfers, and racial tension still (early 80's), but the coaches drove the team, worked us to death in the off season, and demanded perfection. It started with Ray Arnold, continued with D.W. Rutledge, then was passed on to Jim Rackley. While I was early in the process, year before a state champ ring was earned, it was clear that the process those coaches were putting into motion was powerful, and it kept going for several years since that time as they have racked up a number of 5A state championships.

Rabid Cougar
05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
All the above but I think that you need one or two of those talented players to be exceptionally talented. The type that can take a game over. He can be a QB, a WR, a RB, a DLineman or a LB. Doesn't matter what classification. If you watched Katy,Navasota, Cameron, Guyer or the other SC teams they had at least one or two players that did that. In 2007, the China Spring Cougars had three players, QB Dustin Eskew, WR/DB Mike Hicks and OL/DL (my son) Ryan Boutwell. They didn't win the final game against Celina but you can point out several times during the year that each one of those players took the team on their shoulders and carried the team. My own SC team at Cameron in 1981, we had two or three players who were that same way.

Just go back and think about the successful teams you follow and you will know what I am talking about.

AND a lot of luck!

panfan
05-15-2013, 07:58 PM
All the above but I think that you need one or two of those talented players to be exceptionally talented. The type that can take a game over. He can be a QB, a WR, a RB, a DLineman or a LB. Doesn't matter what classification. If you watched Katy,Navasota, Cameron, Guyer or the other SC teams they had at least one or two players that did that. In 2007, the China Spring Cougars had three players, QB Dustin Eskew, WR/DB Mike Hicks and OL/DL (my son) Ryan Boutwell. They didn't win the final game against Celina but you can point out several times during the year that each one of those players took the team on their shoulders and carried the team. My own SC team at Cameron in 1981, we had two or three players who were that same way.

Just go back and think about the successful teams you follow and you will know what I am talking about.

AND a lot of luck!

Agree on all points. I recall some of the Wimberly poster chiming in a while back suggesting that they didn't have overly exceptional talent, just talent that worked really hard and well together - but superior coaching. Of course having a few studs is a bonus!

bobcat1
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Orange and White uniforms!:2thumbsup

cowboyandchrist
05-15-2013, 09:44 PM

AND a lot of luck!
I agree in 05 Tatum won with four players that are in the NFL now and 9 played D1 ball. Number one you have to have a great coach, 2) good staff, 3)three or four stand out players 4) buy into the coaches idea, 5)school and community support.
Carthage is a good example of all of the above.

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 06:59 AM

AND a lot of luck!
excellent post

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Orange you gonna tell what color socks ?

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 07:03 AM
I agree in 05 Tatum won with four players that are in the NFL now and 9 played D1 ball. Number one you have to have a great coach, 2) good staff, 3)three or four stand out players 4) buy into the coaches idea, 5)school and community support.
Carthage is a good example of all of the above.Nine D1 players on one team...should get you a ring for sure

Cam
05-16-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm curious though, on any given championship team, how many athletes are also honor students as well???.....What's better? A tremendous athlete with average smarts or an average athlete with tremendous smarts? :vrycnfsd:

Cam
05-16-2013, 09:18 AM

:clap:.......you're spoiled!......and Celina folks obviously don't like to share!...........

.....don't touch that finger!.....you don't know where it's been........

hollywood
05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm curious though, on any given championship team, how many athletes are also honor students as well???.....What's better? A tremendous athlete with average smarts or an average athlete with tremendous smarts? :vrycnfsd:

Example; Stephenville had several tremendous athletes the SC team that were also honor students last season. This goes back to work ethic and core values that are instilled on and off the field. It starts with family values and great coaching. So the answer is both.

Here's a few more examples. The Brownwood teams from the 60's and 70's that won most of their State Championships were not the most talented athletes on the field on any given game day, but the work ethic, core values and great coaching translated into success. On the high school level, this can be accomplished more so than at the collegiate and pro levels. Stephenville's 3 of the 4 previous State Championships were against La Marque. From my observation, La Marque had the more talented athletes on the field, physically gifted. But Stephenville won all 3 games. Why? Discipline, team chemistry and great coaching. Stephenville's athlete's were not the most talented on the field. Art Briles knew how to get the most out of his players and they bought into his philosophy. Same for Gordon Wood with the Brownwood teams. This was fueled by students who believed in working hard.

Now what's interesting is what's been happened in East Texas over the past 10 years in general. There are very gifted athletes and a higher concentration. Why? Because the population of that part of Texas is greater. If you introduce great coaching, discipline and team chemistry, you get very good teams.

One word: Determination. This plays a huge factor into why some teams and schools have more success than other. Tradition. There is another word that plays a vital factor in why some under athletically gifted teams can be successful. Sheer determination will win.

Put it this way Cami. If you had another stomach episode and found yourself standing next to Greendawg who just had to go #1 and you were both 40 yards from the nearest bathroom facilities that was a 1 shooter, who do you think would get there first? Who would be more determined?

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm curious though, on any given championship team, how many athletes are also honor students as well???.....What's better? A tremendous athlete with average smarts or an average athlete with tremendous smarts? :vrycnfsd:http://www.surveymonkey.com/ <<<<< It would be interesting what statistics you could analyze with a survey

Rabid Cougar
05-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Example; Stephenville had several tremendous athletes the SC team that were also honor students last season. This goes back to work ethic and core values that are instilled on and off the field. It starts with family values and great coaching. So the answer is both.

Here's a few more examples. The Brownwood teams from the 60's and 70's that won most of their State Championships were not the most talented athletes on the field on any given game day, but the work ethic, core values and great coaching translated into success. On the high school level, this can be accomplished more so than at the collegiate and pro levels. Stephenville's 3 of the 4 previous State Championships were against La Marque. From my observation, La Marque had the more talented athletes on the field, physically gifted. But Stephenville won all 3 games. Why? Discipline, team chemistry and great coaching. Stephenville's athlete's were not the most talented on the field. Art Briles knew how to get the most out of his players and they bought into his philosophy. Same for Gordon Wood with the Brownwood teams. This was fueled by students who believed in working hard.

Now what's interesting is what's been happened in East Texas over the past 10 years in general. There are very gifted athletes and a higher concentration. Why? Because the population of that part of Texas is greater. If you introduce great coaching, discipline and team chemistry, you get very good teams.

One word: Determination. This plays a huge factor into why some teams and schools have more success than other. Tradition. There is another word that plays a vital factor in why some under athletically gifted teams can be successful. Sheer determination will win.

I give cudos to Stephenville and Brownwood for their accomplishements but what you have pointed out is not just restricted to those towns. You can cut and paste those descriptions to numerous other schools in the state.

Cam
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Put it this way Cami. If you had another stomach episode and found yourself standing next to Greendawg who just had to go #1 and you were both 40 yards from the nearest bathroom facilities that was a 1 shooter, who do you think would get there first? Who would be more determined?

That's some good points Holly.........but your analogy of Greendawg and myself is probably unrealistic........cause if Greendawg had to peepee really really bad, that boy would just whip it out right there on the spot!...To hell with the runnin' part!.....and as for me havin' to run 40 yards while in a groundhoggin' mode, well, let's just say I wouldn't make it past 17 yards!.............

.....don't touch that finger.....you don't know where it's been!......

Rabid Cougar
05-16-2013, 10:36 AM

You got to have smarts to play the game but it is not rocket science.

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Good post....can't argue about Art Briles. After he left, Stephenville had a loooong drought before getting back to the "Big Dance". In regards to the titles over La Marque, I wouldn't say we had better athletes. Stephenville always had an awesome quarterback and very gifted receivers, which in my opinion was the difference. La Marque was always built upon a very stout defense against the run (back in the 90's), but our Achilles heal was a very good accurate passer. Art Briles was a master at finding the opponent's weakness and that was ours. A few big plays with the pass and the momentum (and game) can swing quickly, which happened in each of those games. Those were good memories. It is still my honest opinion that La Marque and Stephenville had the best teams in Texas during the 90's. Check the record, La Marque went to the title 6 years in a row and held the most victories of any team of any classification (during the 90's) and Stephenville was right there with us.

cougartino
05-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Can someone e-mail this thread to the facelift running the Dallas Cowboys?

Cam
05-16-2013, 10:52 AM

"facelift"!.....:clap::spitlol:

hollywood
05-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I give cudos to Stephenville and Brownwood for their accomplishements but what you have pointed out is not just restricted to those towns. You can cut and paste those descriptions to numerous other schools in the state.

Absolutely Rabid Cougar. There are many schools and communities that have great hard working students, players and coaches. What generates success, and in this case State Championships, is when all of the ingredients come together for the recipe to be right. It takes a special coach and a little time to get it just right. But when they do, look out.

Another example... Richland Springs. Anyone ever heard of that town? A tiny little town in San Saba county about 30 miles south of Brownwood. How many State Championships have they won in 6-man? They just won their 6th State Championship since 2004. 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, and 2012. What's the recipe? Btw, it's where my dad went to school. ;)

Ernest T Bass
05-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Top 2 things, in order of importance:
1.Athletes
2.Luck

Any combination of some or all of the other things that have been listed will do, but you have no chance without both of these things.

hollywood
05-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Top 2 things, in order of importance:
1.Athletes
2.Luck

Any combination of some or all of the other things that have been listed will do, but you have no chance without both of these things.

Lol.. ETB, every team has athletes and luck!

Cam
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
You got to have smarts to play the game but it is not rocket science.

Now rabid...let's not give too much credit to them rocket scientist boys......shoot, they can't even keep the Kepler telescope in workin' order!....Damn thing just broke!......$600 million!......:doh:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/nasa-telescope-kepler-91423.html

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM

You mean Skeletor !

Ernest T Bass
05-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Lol.. ETB, every team has athletes and luck!

Not the ones that suck. And the ones that win championships have an abundance of both.

cougartino
05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
You mean Skeletor !

:fnypost:

1971Coogs
05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
:fnypost:
http://www.etruesports.com/files/Image/jerry%20jones%20nose.jpg

hollywood
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Not the ones that suck. And the ones that win championships have an abundance of both.

I don't buy it. You are telling me that little bitty Richland Springs, TX (Pop. 332) has an abundance of athletes and just gets lucky over a 10 year period ? They've won 6 SC's in 9 years. I don't think people are moving into Richland Springs for their football program.

Let's take Stephenville as an example... the same kind of athletes are here as in towns like Kerville, Brownwood, Burnet, Graham, Lampasas, Azle, Iowa Park, Levelland, Borger, Sweetwater, Snyder, Big Spring, etc. What's the underlying difference in recent success? Take the last 20 years.

Ernest T Bass
05-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Similar demographics doesn't mean same athletes. How many kids from Stephenville go on to play college football compared to Lampasas? Azle? Borger? Considerably more. You WILL NOT WIN without athletes. It's that simple. I don't care who coaches at FW North Side, they're not gonna win a state championship. I didn't say that superior athletes always win, but if I'm better than you at all 22 positions(which rarely happens), there's nothing you can do. I'll win.
Richland Springs has had some OUTSTANDING talent for sixman school the last few years. No, not D1 athletes, but superior to most sixman schools.
As for luck, that plays a HUGE role in success. How would S'ville's season gone had your QB tore his ACL in week 6? How many titles would Aledo have won if Gray had been injured? Staying healthy is luck(and injuries are bad luck). Match ups are also huge. Had S'ville not run into Aledo the last 2 seasons(and HP back in 2005), I feel like they would have won at least one additional 4a title. Catching a favorable matchup in the playoffs is also luck. Then, inevitably, there will usually be one playoff game where a lucky bounce of the ball, a slip and fall by a player, or something else that has nothing to do with anything but happenstance will happen and be the difference in the outcome.
The other things(community, coaching, etc...) are important as well, but you don't have to have all of those things to win; just some. But without athletes and luck, you don't have a chance.

hollywood
05-16-2013, 04:35 PM
I agree demographics doesn't mean same types of athletes. The schools and types of communities mentioned above are similar in size (somewhat) and similar types of towns... away from the larger metro areas as Austin, DFW, Houston, San Antonio. Aledo, it's close enough to DFW where they get families that move to the "burbs" to get out of the rat race. They do have a funnel for talent.

Look to development. Stephenville is a town where athletics from 5 years old is encouraged and supported. Not pressure to play but encouraged and supported. Stephenville hadn't always been that way. It took someone like Art Briles who encouraged youth to excell at the next level. Winning resulted. Once the taste of victory and success is established, it's contagious. It's the reward at the end of the day for all the hard work and efforts that go into a program. And it's just not football. I think when one really gets down to it, it's the culture of the school/community that supports athletics. Work ethic plays into this. Expectations, requirements. I know this sounds like athletics are forced upon youth at a young age but it's not. The community supports it AND with academics being 1st. This is just one example of many around the state. By no means is Stephenville superior than most schools, it's just that the strive to acheive excellence is there and supported by the community. I'll bet you'll find the school districts that are successful in SC's have similar core values.

BwdLion73
05-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I think the Captain of the Ship and his first mates have more to do with the program than D1's and the like. You gotta believe. ;)

panfan
05-16-2013, 05:41 PM
I think the Captain of the Ship and his first mates have more to do with the program than D1's and the like. You gotta believe. ;)

That's what I said way back in the beginning of this thread, course a couple good athletes doesn't hurt.

Ernest T Bass
05-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Take Art Briles and his staff, put them at Ft Worth Paschall and have them do the exact same things as they did in S'ville, and Paschall still won't make the playoffs(kinda like everywhere else Briles was before S'ville). It's more about Jimmys and Joes than Xs and Os.

Old Tiger
05-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Carthage is a good example of all of the above.

Those refs screwed Hutto on that punt return

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

BwdLion73
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Take Art Briles and his staff, put them at Ft Worth Paschall and have them do the exact same things as they did in S'ville, and Paschall still won't make the playoffs(kinda like everywhere else Briles was before S'ville). It's more about Jimmys and Joes than Xs and Os.

I understand what you are saying and agree, however from an old timers standpoint Gordon Wood stated in his book "Spirit" that his team in 1973 had more talent than any he had coached at that time...we did not get out of district that year. His personal comment was "I could not get the talent to play as team".

Ernest T Bass
05-16-2013, 09:14 PM
I understand what you are saying and agree, however from an old timers standpoint Gordon Wood stated in his book "Spirit" that his team in 1973 had more talent than any he had coached at that time...we did not get out of district that year. His personal comment was "I could not get the talent to play as team".

In those days, only one team went. A very talented team that was disciplined could lose one game and not make the playoffs. Untalented teams can beat talented teams on occasion, but not with the consistency required to win championships. Euless Trinity has a bad game every now and then, but not very often.

BwdLion73
05-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Which makes me think that the coach with the X's and O's can beat the Coach with the Jimmys and Joes. You gotta believe.

hollywood
05-16-2013, 09:37 PM

Of course not. The community support is not there. Morale is very low. Culture is totally different. The expectations are not the same. Inner city schools cultures are not the same as outlying suburb or community schools. I have a cousin who went to Pachall. He sad it was frustrating because the culture was expected underachievement and mediocrece. It took a community like Stephenville who was hungry to win and thirsty for success that led Briles here. I never said it only takes good coaching. It's many things. But most of all, it's what BwdLion73 said... A good coach on and off the field, a good staff, community support, work ethic and expectations to achieve excellence not mediocrece. The determination to be the best.

hollywood
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Look at Granbury. Prayers out to that community by the way!
They have a better talent pool than many schools. Why can't they be SC caliber? Because the community support isn't there for the football program. Great girls basketball. Great golf teams. Olympic swimmer talent. Good soccer. Average baseball. Many football coaches, and some pretty talented ones, couldn't change the culture.

1971Coogs
05-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Of course not. The community support is not there. Morale is very low. Culture is totally different. The expectations are not the same. Inner city schools cultures are not the same as outlying suburb or community schools. I have a cousin who went to Pachall. He sad it was frustrating because the culture was expected underachievement and mediocrece. It took a community like Stephenville who was hungry to win and thirsty for success that led Briles here. I never said it only takes good coaching. It's many things. But most of all, it's what BwdLion73 said... A good coach on and off the field, a good staff, community support, work ethic and expectations to achieve excellence not mediocrece. The determination to be the best.Read my first comment...the first comment of this thread and there you have it.

YTBulldogs
05-17-2013, 07:51 AM
What does it take to win a state championship? --Cam

Job openings in your community, so you can recruit players.

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I find it quite hilarious that homer fans of high school teams ALWAYS suggest that when their team wins that it was because they "worked harder", "wanted it more" or "refused to lose"!

hollywood
05-17-2013, 08:41 AM
I find it quite hilarious that homer fans of high school teams ALWAYS suggest that when their team wins that it was because they "worked harder", "wanted it more" or "refused to lose"!

What's your formula FF?

I've lived all over Texas and have seen diverse cultures.

1971Coogs
05-17-2013, 08:42 AM
What does it take to win a state championship? --Cam

Job openings in your community, so you can recruit players.Wow....now that is an excellent post

Ernest T Bass
05-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Which makes me think that the coach with the X's and O's can beat the Coach with the Jimmys and Joes. You gotta believe.

Once or twice? Yes. Consistently enough to win championships? Nope.

coach
05-17-2013, 09:10 AM

LOL! No kidding. I also hate when people say well they just wanted it more....

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 09:20 AM
What's your formula FF?

I've lived all over Texas and have seen diverse cultures.

First and foremost it has to be athletes! None of the other stuff matters if you don't have the athletes to execute it. I think we all have some teams in mind that made the big dance because they had way more talent than anyone else. But I challenge anyone to give me a team that won a State Title without good athletes. When you have good athletes all that "we worked harder" crap is just personal gratification nonsense for the home town fans. We can name teams that won titles without community support, great coaching, good facilities, good systems in place and with very little discipline. but we cannot name one that won without good athletes.

panfan
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
First and foremost it has to be athletes! None of the other stuff matters if you don't have the athletes to execute it. I think we all have some teams in mind that made the big dance because they had way more talent than anyone else. But I challenge anyone to give me a team that won a State Title without good athletes. When you have good athletes all that "we worked harder" crap is just personal gratification nonsense for the home town fans. We can name teams that won titles without community support, great coaching, good facilities, good systems in place and with very little discipline. but we cannot name one that won without good athletes.

Clarify - what is the definition of good athletes - in your opinion. Some on here have suggested its the stud D1 types, others have suggested average caliber athletes. So what are you calling "good"?

Ernest T Bass
05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Clarify - what is the definition of good athletes - in your opinion. Some on here have suggested its the stud D1 types, others have suggested average caliber athletes. So what are you calling "good"?

It's all relative to the level of competition.

BwdLion73
05-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Last year it was the year of "We have more Heart". ;)

Cam
05-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Last year it was the year of "We have more Heart". ;)

I like Liberty Hill's motto: "We work our butts off so we can kick yours!".......them is some strong words!.....:foul:

hollywood
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM

I agree with both. You have to have athletes. That's number one. In any sport, athletes have to be present. lol BUT, as panfan asked, what is the definition of a good athlete? Or what's the definition of one that can execute the coaches plan? IMO, it's more about athletes in a culture with a great coach that knows how to lead and win the communities support. Yes athletes are important but does NOT just take athletes that are naturally gifted to play at the next level... D1 or D2. They do need to be athletic AND have strong work ethic, core values, and strive to achieve excellence. It's about the mind set.

Ernest T Bass
05-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I agree with both. You have to have athletes. That's number one. In any sport, athletes have to be present. lol BUT, as panfan asked, what is the definition of a good athlete? Or what's the definition of one that can execute the coaches plan? IMO, it's more about athletes in a culture with a great coach that knows how to lead and win the communities support. Yes athletes are important but does NOT just take athletes that are naturally gifted to play at the next level... D1 or D2. They do need to be athletic AND have strong work ethic, core values, and strive to achieve excellence. It's about the mind set.

Culture + great coach- superior athletes=No championship, every time.
Culture - great coach+ superior athletes=possible championship
Great coach-culture+ superior athletes=possible championship
Superior athletes-+culture-great coach=possible championship
Superior Athletes + culture + great coach + luck=championship
Any combination of the other 2 will work, but without athletes and luck, you have no chance.

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Culture + great coach- superior athletes=No championship, every time.
Culture - great coach+ superior athletes=possible championship
Great coach-culture+ superior athletes=possible championship
Superior athletes-+culture-great coach=possible championship
Superior Athletes + culture + great coach + luck=championship
Any combination of the other 2 will work, but without athletes and luck, you have no chance.

I agree!

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 03:30 PM

I'm thinking a "good athlete" is one that is good enough to execute at a high enough quality to win at the level they are currently playing at. It's all relative as someone else already said. If the athletes aren't good enough to win at that level then no amount of coaching or tradition will matter.

1971Coogs
05-18-2013, 07:06 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzkGJqUfjsoboEH9w5DvF-M5YyogsDKPVdTMGAh-8dKUF6FAWW

You have to be intelligent also to be a good athlete :crazy1: :nerd:

hollywood
05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Great article on the Stephenville baseball team and athletic program in general.

What I've been saying all along... the will to win and expect nothing less. It doesn't come easy, you have to work for it. Coaching, athletes, work ethic, community support, and expectations to achieve great things. ;)

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/high_school/article_5e6cb682-c705-11e2-948d-0019bb2963f4.html

regaleagle
06-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I agree....the mindset of the athletes, the coaching staff, and the community that supports the teams goes a looong way at the high school level in helping the kids reach their potential. This mindset of being a winner...of having the confidence that you can compete with the best of them...translates into wins when the kids buy into it. Many schools have gifted athletes...some don't even play football, or baseball, or basketball, etc. At many schools, the better athletes play but don't get the help from those that aren't as talented because of the mindset issue we are discussing. When dealing with young people, instilling confidence, work ethic, and high goals to accomplish when mixed with proper coaching techniques can go a long way in helping the player and the team to reach a new level of excellence. This kind of mindset must be supported by a rabid fanbase locally. The result is winning....being competitive as a team and individually. This winning mindset is contagious and fosters more confidence, more hard work, and more support from the community. It becomes attractive to those not previously involved to get involved, even better coaching staffs. It's a key to building a winning program.