PDA

View Full Version : West Columbia 2013

Saggy Aggie
05-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Tell me what ya know 93.

I know Broderick and Floyd are graduating as well as several more, but i was pretty impressed with this years soph class.

How are we looking for next year? QB?

Old Tiger
05-15-2013, 12:02 AM
championship or bust

Roughneck93
05-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Look for Jarius Kesee to move from WR to QB. He got some time there in mop up duty last year. Only going to be a Jr, I'm excited about him.

LaMarquis Fields returns at WR/DB and as a returner.

Brandon Harris(Jr) returns from his knee injury. You remember last year's game vs BPort when he trucked that dude on the kickoff return. :eek:

Dennis Moody(Jr)...TE/DE got some valuable time in as a Soph.

OL/DL will be fine. Hendrick, Rathkamp, King returns from injury. So many guys rotated in last year, I think it's a strength this year.

RB?? Colton Jones got some time in last year, I believe he's the only returning back with varsity experience. Hell can you imagine Harris in the backfield?

Obviously a playoff team with the district we're in. Definitely will need those young guys to step in though...

Saggy Aggie
05-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Look for Jarius Kesee to move from WR to QB. He got some time there in mop up duty last year. Only going to be a Jr, I'm excited about him.

LaMarquis Fields returns at WR/DB and as a returner.

Brandon Harris(Jr) returns from his knee injury. You remember last year's game vs BPort when he trucked that dude on the kickoff return. :eek:

Dennis Moody(Jr)...TE/DE got some valuable time in as a Soph.

OL/DL will be fine. Hendrick, Rathkamp, King returns from injury. So many guys rotated in last year, I think it's a strength this year.

RB?? Colton Jones got some time in last year, I believe he's the only returning back with varsity experience. Hell can you imagine Harris in the backfield?

Obviously a playoff team with the district we're in. Definitely will need those young guys to step in though...

Good stuff. Harris was a beast before the knee injury.

Figured RB would be the biggest ?

Necked
05-16-2013, 08:35 AM
The freshman team was good last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of sophs on varsity. The D. Bell kid especially looks to be a good bet at RB.

baseballcoach13
05-16-2013, 09:30 AM
They could have 34 goats out there and Pancho and the crew will have them playing good ball....that is if Pancho dont BBQ the goats for the familia.

Lucky2Coach
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
They will be well coached!

Cam
05-16-2013, 09:41 AM
I was in West Columbia bout 3 weeks ago....my brother-in-law thinks WC is gonna be good......all I know is I love that cake we bought at Buc-ee's Conveinient Store......and, we had us some good food at Baytown Seafood!......

Roughneck93
05-16-2013, 07:26 PM
The freshman team was good last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of sophs on varsity. The D. Bell kid especially looks to be a good bet at RB.

Can't wait to see him run.

Saggy Aggie
05-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Are they having a spring intrasquad scrimmage? or did they already?

Roughneck93
05-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Are they having a spring intrasquad scrimmage? or did they already?

Nah, just hard at work during their athletic period.

Roughneck93
08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Preview from The Facts...

ROUGHNECK RELOAD

Columbia's challenge will be inexperience this year

By BILLY LOVELESS sports@thefacts.com (sports@thefacts.com) | Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:00 am

WEST COLUMBIA

After three consecutive seasons of earning postseason victories, the Columbia Roughnecks are looking to build on their reputation of having one of the consistently best football programs in the region.
There will, however, be some big challenges along the way.

Columbia is returning only five starters from last year’s playoff squad, so inexperience will be one of its biggest obstacles.

Roughneck head coach Randy Lynch sees a lot of talent on the squad, but he also believes his players are going to have to quickly step up.

“We will have a lot of fresh faces, but that’s part of high school football,” he said. “It’s a puzzle and we have to find the pieces and put them all in place. It’s what we do at all levels of high school football.”

In his second year leading the Roughnecks, Lynch has the advantage of everyone having a full season of experience in his system. Actually, that transition was made even easier since he was a member of Columbia’s coaching staff before taking the head coaching position.

“I was benefitted by already being on the staff as the offensive coordinator,” Lynch said. “The staff here made my transition much easier. Our coaching staff does a great job and my first year was smooth. Obviously, we always want to play longer, but it was a great year. We want to build on that.”

The first step to keeping the Roughnecks a force on the gridiron is using the leadership of his returning starters to bring along the younger athletes. Three starters — junior Jarius Kesee, and seniors Tyler Rathkamp and Quinn Hendrick — return on offense, while seniors Colton Jones and Dennis Moody come back on defense.

Kesee will take on one of the team’s biggest roles, as he is expected to shift from wide receiver to quarterback. Although the move from wideout to quarterback doesn’t happen too often, it isn’t much of a stretch for Kesee since he’s lined up behind center many times in the past.

“He’s doing well,” Lynch said of Kesee’s progress. “He played a few games at quarterback last year, and he played quarterback his freshman year. He’s a tall kid and throws the ball pretty well. He has the leadership we look for in the position.”

Senior Zach Dodds also is competing for time at quarterback. While Lynch has been impressed with Kesee’s ability to air the ball out, he’s not planning on changing the Roughnecks’ offensive system. Columbia’s bread and butter has been running the ball, and Lynch is planning on doing plenty of that.

With no starters returning, the Roughnecks are planning to use a multitude of backs. Among the tailbacks vying for touches will be Dakarius Bell (sophomore), Reggie Bryant (junior) and Jones. Leading the attack from fullback will be sophomores Hunter Grayson and Brodney Thomas.

“They’re young and they don’t have a lot of Friday-night touches,” Lynch said. “They’re going to have to step up. But we’ve been blessed with some strong running backs here at Columbia, and these kids understand their roles. They’ll be running hard.”

The same can be said at receiver, with juniors Brandon Harris and Cyle Riggins competing for the split end job, while seniors Brock Bailey, Lamarquis Fields, Anthony Jimenez, Jonathan Smith and Bradley Stedman, along with sophomores Tres Wachtel and Kalen Williams, should see time in the slot.

Also of huge importance to the Roughnecks’ system is tight end, with juniors Caleb Hagen and Moody, and sophomore Steve Perkins at that position.

Rathkamp and Hendrick will bring some veteran leadership at center and tackle, respectively. The duo will be joined on the line with guards Collin Heidaker and Anton Mayer, and tackle Phillip Martinez.

Also expecting to see playing time on the O-line are Kenjo Kelley, Zach Burrell, Donald Hopwood, Marcus Ferris, Matthew Wall and Justin Hampson. “It helps to have returning linemen and that’s probably our strength right now,” Lynch said.

Junior Jacob Comer will handle kicking duties.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Roughnecks will run a 4-2-5 scheme that in the past has shut down opposing offenses.

“We try to emphasize defense here at Columbia,” Lynch said. “We demand high expectations from our kids.”

Moody was an all-district performer last year, and will lead what could be a seven-man rotation on the defensive front. Hendrick, junior Eugene Sims, Martinez, sophomore Stephen Brown, Thomas, senior Travis Seravia and Heidacker also are in the mix.

Jones, another returning starter, will join junior Caleb Hagen, senior Luis Paniagua, Rathkamp, Harris and Bell at linebacker.

There is a brand new starting secondary with Fields, Williams, Riggins, senior Aaron Solis, Bailey, senior Matt Boineau and Bryant making the rounds.

“Our defensive line — with Dennis (Moody) coming back, along with Hendrick and Eugene Sims — has three guys with playing experience, so that should be one of the strengths of this defense,” Lynch said. “Our secondary and linebackers just need to get some games under their belts.”

Before district starts, the Roughnecks will face Class 4A squads Brazosport and Bay City, Class 3A’s Needville, Wharton and Houston Kashmere, and Class 2A, Division I’s Hempstead, which advanced three rounds deep in last year’s playoffs.

“Everybody we’re playing in non-district prepares us for district,” Lynch said. “Most of them are returning six to eight starters, so it will be a challenge.”

The district season won’t be any easier, with the likes of La Marque, Sweeny, Stafford and KIPP Sunnyside.

Columbia does, however, have the fortune of playing in a five-team district, with four squads advancing to the playoffs.

“Each and every week is a challenge and we want to get better every day,” Lynch said. “We know our opponents are going to be improving every week, so we’re striving to do that, as well. We stress to always focus on this week’s opponent.”

The Roughnecks’ season kicks off Aug. 30 with a road matchup against rival Brazosport.

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_232ec733-5438-503f-9971-09aed531a558.html

cougartino
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
'necks will be fine. Looking forward to the road trip this year. Hey 93, where should I tell my crew to meet for grub before the game?

Roughneck93
08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
'necks will be fine. Looking forward to the road trip this year. Hey 93, where should I tell my crew to meet for grub before the game?

Head over to Lucy's or Baytown Seafood.

cougartino
08-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Head over to Lucy's or Baytown Seafood.

We'll be there!

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
So ready to see em play

Roughneck93
08-21-2013, 08:44 PM
We'll be there!

:2thumbsup