6. Kilgore
7. Celina
8. El Campo
9. WOS
10. Argyle

No reason just because..

BEAST
05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I believe by the end of the season, Brownwood will be making serious strides. We will be young so I can see a potential slow start. However, I could see us suprising a lot of folks when all is said and done.

BEAST

coach
05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I believe by the end of the season, Brownwood will be making serious strides. We will be young so I can see a potential slow start. However, I could see us suprising a lot of folks when all is said and done.

BEAST

Who took Shipley's place?

SHSBulldog00
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
I predict Sweeny will return to the playoffs after a 3-7 season.

hollywood
05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
1. Stephenville
2. Gilmer
3. Carthage
4. Kilgore
5. Abilene Wylie
6. Coldspring
7. La Marque
8. Graham
9. El Campo
10. Navasota

Gsquared
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Silsbee and Lorena could make a case for the top 10, hard to leave out any of the ones already mentioned though.

lostaussie
05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Buckeyes will be loaded............and a few changes on the way from what I am hearing. Should be fun again.

BEAST
05-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Coach Chuck Howard.

BEAST

upper20
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Chuck Howard - previously the defensive coordinator

Matthew328
05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
1) Houston Sunnyside
2) Fort Worth Diamond Hill
3) Anthony
4) Amarillo River Road
5) Nevada Community
6) Progreso
7) Wichita Falls Hirschi
8) Hillsboro
9) Huntington
10) Houston Kashmere

cougartino
05-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Ya think? A 5 team 24-3A with 4 making the playoffs and Sunnyside KIPP as the 5th team. Yawl can go 1-9, worse than last year, and still get in. :)

Bullaholic
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
1) Houston Sunnyside
3) Anthony
4) Amarillo River Road
5) Nevada Community
6) Progreso
7) Wichita Falls Hirschi
8) Hillsboro
9) Huntington
10) Houston Kashmere

I think you do better with BBQ playoffs, Matt.....:D
This looks like a poll made by G2 right after his famous "butt dance" video.....

refereedoc
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
1) Houston Sunnyside
3) Anthony
4) Amarillo River Road
5) Nevada Community
6) Progreso
7) Wichita Falls Hirschi
8) Hillsboro
9) Huntington
10) Houston Kashmere
LOL. I think you may have the topic confused, not bottom 10.

maestro
05-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Ya think? A 5 team 24-3A with 4 making the playoffs and Sunnyside KIPP as the 5th team. Yawl can go 1-9, worse than last year, and still get in. :)

My thoughts also

What a sweet deal a five team district is with one being a pansy

Cam
05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
1) Houston Sunnyside
3) Anthony
4) Amarillo River Road
5) Nevada Community
6) Progreso
7) Wichita Falls Hirschi
8) Hillsboro
9) Huntington
10) Houston Kashmere

Be careful....let's not poke fun at the Red Ants!....they gots some cartel connections round them parts!......:eek:

gatordaze
05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Argyle should be ranked 1st and it is not even close. They lost 3 Seniors and none of them were their stars. This coming from a Celina fan, these guys are going to wreck shop this year.

speedbump
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Argyle should be ranked 1st and it is not even close. They lost 3 Seniors and none of them were their stars. This coming from a Celina fan, these guys are going to wreck shop this year.

They lost three all district offensive players and four on defense. They have good skill position players returning though but ranked first? I don't think so.

SHSBulldog00
05-14-2013, 04:36 PM

I think we will do better than 3-7 (worst season in Sweeny in awhile)

buckeyebob
05-14-2013, 07:22 PM

But we have their number...another "CRAP!!" for Argyle.

regaleagle
05-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Argyle will be in the mix if things go according to plan. Gilmer will be a huge hurdle to get past, but if a team out there can do it.....maybe it's this year's upcoming class. Of course, we may not fall in their division this season, even though both schools are about the same enrollment. When does the split divisions kick in, anyway?

waterboy
05-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Argyle will be in the mix if things go according to plan. Gilmer will be a huge hurdle to get past, but if a team out there can do it.....maybe it's this year's upcoming class. Of course, we may not fall in their division this season, even though both schools are about the same enrollment. When does the split divisions kick in, anyway?

This year is when they add a fourth team to the playoffs. The top two teams in enrollment in each district go D1, the other two D2. How does that affect Argyle? Just curious. Gilmer will be D2 for sure, UNLESS two out of these teams: Spring Hill, Bullard, and Gladewater, miraculously make the playoffs. The odds of that happening are astronomical. The true split 3A takes effect in 2014.

gatordaze
05-15-2013, 09:35 AM
This year is when they add a fourth team to the playoffs. The top two teams in enrollment in each district go D1, the other two D2. How does that affect Argyle? Just curious. Gilmer will be D2 for sure, UNLESS two out of these teams: Spring Hill, Bullard, and Gladewater, miraculously make the playoffs. The odds of that happening are astronomical. The true split 3A takes effect in 2014.

I assume that they will use the enrollment numbers from the last alignment. Argyle will go D2 unless Aubrey makes the playoffs. Lonestar will be 4A soon and they are getting better each season.

District 10

Carrollton Ranchview 835.5
Frisco Lone Star 825
Argyle 668
Celina 587
Aubrey 516

Sville
05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
I think Kennedale deserves to be top 10. They will be real good especially on offense. RB Juwan Washington will be one of top RB in 3A next year IMHO.

hollywood
05-15-2013, 10:42 AM
I think Kennedale deserves to be top 10. They will be real good especially on offense. RB Juwan Washington will be one of top RB in 3A next year IMHO.

Kennedale was salty.. but they are loosing key defensive personnel.

hollywood
05-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Rankings are fun. It's rare that a preseaon #1 wins it all. I like the debates on who should be top 10 though. This past season the top 10 fared pretty well. I think a top 25 would be a good discussion. 2013 will be another good year of 3A HS football.

waterboy
05-15-2013, 12:09 PM
I assume that they will use the enrollment numbers from the last alignment. Argyle will go D2 unless Aubrey makes the playoffs. Lonestar will be 4A soon and they are getting better each season.

District 10

Carrollton Ranchview 835.5
Frisco Lone Star 825
Argyle 668
Celina 587
Aubrey 516

So that means that IF Aubrey were to somehow make the playoffs it would send Argyle to D1, with Celina being a given. There's definitely a chance of that happening......so there might not be a rematch with Argyle. Who do you think gets left out of the playoffs out of that 5 team district?

hollywood
05-15-2013, 12:49 PM

BEAST

BEAST, what does Brownwood have coming back? In terms of starters... QB, WR's, RB's, OL/DL, LB's, DB's? And who will be coming up from JV? Just curious. Brownwood looking pretty scrappy towards the end of last season.

Sville
05-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Kennedale was salty.. but they are loosing key defensive personnel.

They return 7 on offense, 3 OL, the center and right side, WB, WR, FB, and TB Washington. They will be dynamic on offense. But you are right they lost 10 starters on defense.

ahs_indian_fan
05-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Kennedale salty? I thought they were down quite a bit last year and you may be the first to ever call their offense 'dynamic' ... it is good, but when I think of dynamic I think of an offense that runs out of several different packages and Kennedale is not one of those. Kennedale will win its district and probably a playoff game, but I think they're a year or two away from being where they were just a couple years ago and challenging to go deep into the playoffs.

hollywood
05-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Kennedale salty? I thought they were down quite a bit last year and you may be the first to ever call their offense 'dynamic' ... it is good, but when I think of dynamic I think of an offense that runs out of several different packages and Kennedale is not one of those. Kennedale will win its district and probably a playoff game, but I think they're a year or two away from being where they were just a couple years ago and challenging to go deep into the playoffs.

Yeah, I thought they were explosive offensively in a couple of series when they played Stephenville last year. But that is about it. They had 2 really good LB's. Secondary was average for 3A. They do have a very talented running back that will give teams fits this season. As for the team, top 10, no way.

BEAST
05-15-2013, 04:20 PM
BEAST, what does Brownwood have coming back? In terms of starters... QB, WR's, RB's, OL/DL, LB's, DB's? And who will be coming up from JV? Just curious. Brownwood looking pretty scrappy towards the end of last season.

Im not 100% sure on the lineman on either side of the ball. Qb returns, some Wrs also. The main RB returns. Either 2 or 3 linebackers and either 2 or 3 in the secondary. The JV had some talented players as well as the Freshman class.

BEAST

maestro
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Rankings are fun. It's rare that a preseaon #1 wins it all. I like the debates on who should be top 10 though. This past season the top 10 fared pretty well. I think a top 25 would be a good discussion. 2013 will be another good year of 3A HS football.

How many of these teams listed would meet each other in first round?
Second round?

Sometimes expectations can be ruined by a bracket.

I E what gonzales ended up doing to Lagrange made Lagrange chances really slim..

HEMOTOXIC
05-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Every year, Fedora seems to find key players.

Navasota probably will not start in the top 10, but we will give some teams fits come late fall/playoffs.

*JV/Frosh team probably lost 1/2 games total. (correct me if I'm wrong)
*Six straight trips to the Quarterfinals and finally a state title- No reason to think otherwise.
*Jordan Wells will be back to anchor the Rattler D.

hollywood
05-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Im not 100% sure on the lineman on either side of the ball. Qb returns, some Wrs also. The main RB returns. Either 2 or 3 linebackers and either 2 or 3 in the secondary. The JV had some talented players as well as the Freshman class.

BEAST

I know that freshman class has real good talent. The RB's ran strong and were impressive. QB was solid and will be only get better before the season starts. I think the Lions will win district this Fall. They gave Gatesville all they wanted and could have had a ligit chance to beat them if it wasn't for that miss handled punt return. That changed the momentum. 14 point swing right there.

hollywood
05-15-2013, 05:30 PM
How many of these teams listed would meet each other in first round?
Second round?

Sometimes expectations can be ruined by a bracket.

I E what gonzales ended up doing to Lagrange made Lagrange chances really slim..

That's a great question. I know there are a lot of solid teams that miss making a run because of a strong brackets.

regaleagle
05-15-2013, 06:28 PM
So that means that IF Aubrey were to somehow make the playoffs it would send Argyle to D1, with Celina being a given. There's definitely a chance of that happening......so there might not be a rematch with Argyle. Who do you think gets left out of the playoffs out of that 5 team district?

Ranchview will probably get left out. I'm thinking Aubrey gets the spot for sure. That means Argyle will go D1 allright. I guess we'll be looking at Kilgore and Chapel Hill over in your District of Doom for D1, huh? Or how about Henderson? What's their enrollment compared to the other two mentioned???

cowboyandchrist
05-15-2013, 09:51 PM
1. Stephenville
2. Gilmer
3. Carthage
4. Kilgore
5. Abilene Wylie
6. Coldspring
7. La Marque
8. Graham
9. El Campo
10. Navasota

You made a mistake so I will help you fix it. Carthage number one with 11 offensive starters back and 6 on the D side of the ball. Gilmer number two who will bring the house back, and the Ville number three, just because they are the Ville and the reining champs.

Bosqueville
05-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you Cowboy for recognizing my list!

hollywood
05-15-2013, 10:07 PM
You made a mistake so I will help you fix it. Carthage number one with 11 offensive starters back and 6 on the D side of the ball. Gilmer number two who will bring the house back, and the Ville number three, just because they are the Ville and the reining champs.

Ok. What does Stephenville have coming back? Do you know that?

easttexas3a
05-15-2013, 10:38 PM
1. Carthage
2. Stephenville
3. Gilmer
4. La Marque
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Celina
8. Palestine
9. WOS
10. Chapel Hill

Two big teams to look out for from the East.

Chapel Hill is bringing back about 8 on both sides. QB Black is back, along with a host of good skilled players. If they can find good guys in the trenches they can be a real threat to make a ton of noise

Palestine is the sleeper of 3a. Back to Back 7-4 seasons, losing to Carthage by 3 last year in the first round. They will have 3 division 1 players, DE/WR Jarrell Owens 6'4 235 with offers to Texas Tech and Baylor, RB/S Ben Luckett 6' 195 offer from Texas State, and OL Brian Thlang 6'2 290 with offer from Georgia State. They are bringing back 6/8. There are 6 three year starters.

waterboy
05-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Ranchview will probably get left out. I'm thinking Aubrey gets the spot for sure. That means Argyle will go D1 allright. I guess we'll be looking at Kilgore and Chapel Hill over in your District of Doom for D1, huh? Or how about Henderson? What's their enrollment compared to the other two mentioned???

I'll put them in order of enrollment.

1. Kilgore 964.5
2. Chapel Hill 961
3. Henderson 888
4. Gilmer 631
5. Bullard 606
6. Gladewater 586
7. Spring Hill 506.5

I think it'll be between Gilmer and Kilgore for the title, but I will give the Buckeyes the slight edge even though the game is in Kilgore. Here's the way I see the district playing out:

1. Gilmer
2. Kilgore
3-6. Chapel Hill, Gladewater, Henderson, Bullard; these teams could finish in any order.
7. Spring Hill

The only way Gilmer goes D1 is if both Chapel Hill and Henderson miss the playoffs, not likely, but not out of the realm of possibility. Kilgore will definitely be in.

HEMOTOXIC
05-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Every year, Fedora seems to find key players.

Navasota probably will not start in the top 10, but we will give some teams fits come late fall/playoffs.

*JV/Frosh team probably lost 1/2 games total. (correct me if I'm wrong)
*Six straight trips to the Quarterfinals and finally a state title- No reason to think otherwise.
*Jordan Wells will be back to anchor the Rattler D.

Oh yeah, plus the 4**** Transfer.:D

BEAST
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I know that freshman class has real good talent. The RB's ran strong and were impressive. QB was solid and will be only get better before the season starts. I think the Lions will win district this Fall. They gave Gatesville all they wanted and could have had a ligit chance to beat them if it wasn't for that miss handled punt return. That changed the momentum. 14 point swing right there.

I agree. And, if the offense could have gotten anything going we would have beaten Glen Rose as well.

BEAST

buckeyebob
05-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Kilgore 964.5 2nd Div1

Chapel Hill 961 4th Div1

Henderson 888 3rd Div2

Gilmer 631 1st Div2

Bullard 606 5th

Gladewater 586 7th

Spring Hill 506.5 6th

I would almost bet that the Buckeyes will be Div 2 this season...I see the repeat in district play...season wise...strong skill bunch...new batch for 2014 & 2015...we might be strong enough to thrash Carthage...again

Matthew328
05-19-2013, 02:59 PM
I think Henderson's missing the playoffs this year...Gladewater's gonna be handful the next two years

Matthew328
05-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Ranchview-Aubrey is a toss up IMO....Ranchview was incredibly young last year..they'll be a lot better IMO

bigwood33
05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Ranchview-Aubrey is a toss up IMO....Ranchview was incredibly young last year..they'll be a lot better IMO
If this were a relay race or just who passes the eye test, Ranchview would certainly win but since this is a football game, Aubrey will. It is a mystery to me as to why Ranchview can't play...but they can't.

Matthew328
05-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Considering last year Ranchview beat Aubrey by three touchdowns...I'd have to say Ranchview is the favorite....but I dont think the margin will be 3 scores..

regaleagle
05-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Well if that's the case, then Argyle's division will remain undetermined most of the season. It all boils down to whether or not Ranchview or Aubrey gets the spot, and looks like there is no overwhelming evidence to make a reasonable assumption on this one. Aubrey should be a much improved team this upcoming season also. So to answer the question for all those Gilmerite viewers out there, an Argyle-Gilmer playoff game for 2013 is still very much a possibility. For Argyle, our road to the regional final will be difficult regardless of which division we play in, but the coaches will have this Sr. class ready to go deep. Whether it's Gilmer, Kilgore, or someone else....we have to win each week to advance. It's never easy, and there are many variables that can send a team home early. That's what makes high school football in Texas so great.

waterboy
05-20-2013, 08:33 AM
I think Henderson's missing the playoffs this year...Gladewater's gonna be handful the next two years

I tend to agree with Matt on this one. The only thing that keeps me from saying Gladewater "will" take a playoff spot is recent history. They have opened district play with Gilmer for the last three years, lost, then went on to lose to Spring Hill in the second district game. If they can beat Spring Hill in the second district game, a very "winnable" game, I look for Gladewater to finish third or fourth in district.

buckeyebob
05-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I tend to agree with Matt on this one. The only thing that keeps me from saying Gladewater "will" take a playoff spot is recent history. They have opened district play with Gilmer for the last three years, lost, then went on to lose to Spring Hill in the second district game. If they can beat Spring Hill in the second district game, a very "winnable" game, I look for Gladewater to finish third or fourth in district.

Yup...playing Gilmer early in the season is a real problem for Gldewater..juju alert...perhaps the 2014 Season will help 'em out.

cowboyandchrist
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Kilgore 964.5 2nd Div1

Chapel Hill 961 4th Div1

Henderson 888 3rd Div2

Gilmer 631 1st Div2

Bullard 606 5th

Gladewater 586 7th

Spring Hill 506.5 6th

I would almost bet that the Buckeyes will be Div 2 this season...I see the repeat in district play...season wise...strong skill bunch...new batch for 2014 & 2015...we might be strong enough to thrash Carthage...again

Please tell us when Gilmer thrashed Carthage. If I remember right, they have played 3 times and Carthage won two out of the three. Carthage won by 3 in the first one and stomped a mud hole in Gilmer in the second game and Gilmer won by 3 in the third game. I could be wrong. NOT!

hollywood
05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Please tell us when Gilmer thrashed Carthage. If I remember right, they have played 3 times and Carthage won two out of the three. Carthage won by 3 in the first one and stomped a mud hole in Gilmer in the second game and Gilmer won by 3 in the third game. I could be wrong. NOT!

Lol. I agree with you cowboy. Maybe a first! Lol

buckeyebob
05-22-2013, 07:53 AM

After breaking our QB's foot, the back-up came in like the cavalry & rode the Crthage Bulldog down the field...thrashing accomplished...they knew not what to do accept cry like a bunch of baby girls.

LHPfactory
05-23-2013, 08:46 AM

SHS, how is everyone coming around to accepting the Slot-T?

44INAROW
05-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I might do one with Cuero in it - Just for old time sake :(

Saggy Aggie
05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
I might do one with Cuero in it - Just for old time sake :(

44, you guys gonna be any good this year? 3A isnt the same when Cuero isnt kicking ass and taking names.

OldBison75
06-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Food for thought for anybody that thinks Navasota might be down this year.

NHS 7-on-7 cruises in 5A tourney
Story
Comments
ShareShare
Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size

Shelton Eppler
Examiner photo by Scott McDonald

Shelton Eppler

Sophomore-to-be Shelton Eppler at quarterback has guided Navasota to a successful 7-on-7 season so far.

Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:00 am | Updated: 10:09 am, Wed Jun 12, 2013.

0 comments

The Navasota 7-on-7 football squad obliterated teams in a tournament chocked full of Class 5A teams last Saturday in the A&M Consolidated State Qualifier. The Rattlers didn’t just sweep their three games in Pool Play, they made it look easy.

Navasota beat Cy Woods, 34-13, in the opening round of the Pool D bracket. They then beat Spring Branch Stratford, 38-13, before crushing Langham Creek, 53-27, to round out pool play.

Navasota didn’t move on to the semifinals because they had already qualified for a berth in the 1A-3A state tournament earlier this year. Langham Creek placed second in the pool round and advanced to the semifinals, where they lost to Cy Ranch, 37-26. Cy Ranch tied A&M Consol for the championship with a 28-28 score. Langham Creek got third place in the tournament with a 40-20 win over Cy Springs.

Navasota’s spread offense is led by sophomore-to-be quarterback Shelton Eppler, soon-to-be sophomore wide receivers Tren’Davian Dickson and Sammy Blair and a defense that only has one starter that will be a senior this fall (Deionnte Taylor).

navscanmaster
06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
I assume the defense they speak of is only for 7 on 7 play, as there are a few seniors to be starting in the fall. But good link. Shelton Eppler? Must be good if he is starting over Keyshawn Philio. Like was said earlier in the thread, Fedora will have an offense on his hands no matter what. Can the defense continue a high level of play this year? I don't think they will be on last year's level, but not swiss cheese by any means.

FB-fanatic
06-12-2013, 08:03 PM
I'll make a case for my Leopards:
17-3A district champs return Padilla 1st team all-state QB Coleman - 3700 yds offense, 2000 yds rusher, 251 points scored, 210 lbs.
600 yd Sr rusher Burch.
17-3A co-defensive MVP outside linebacker Strahan. (3 yr starter)
3 yr starter Sr Perlowski at linebacker.
State quarter miler Sr safety Bauer.
4-year starting noseguard Beard.
Jv players filling in who went 8-2.
Sprinkle in sophomores that went 8-2.

venomous tat2
06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Food for thought for anybody that thinks Navasota might be down this year.

NHS 7-on-7 cruises in 5A tourney
Story
Comments
ShareShare
Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size

Shelton Eppler
Examiner photo by Scott McDonald

Shelton Eppler

Sophomore-to-be Shelton Eppler at quarterback has guided Navasota to a successful 7-on-7 season so far.

Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:00 am | Updated: 10:09 am, Wed Jun 12, 2013.

0 comments

The Navasota 7-on-7 football squad obliterated teams in a tournament chocked full of Class 5A teams last Saturday in the A&M Consolidated State Qualifier. The Rattlers didn’t just sweep their three games in Pool Play, they made it look easy.

Navasota beat Cy Woods, 34-13, in the opening round of the Pool D bracket. They then beat Spring Branch Stratford, 38-13, before crushing Langham Creek, 53-27, to round out pool play.

Navasota didn’t move on to the semifinals because they had already qualified for a berth in the 1A-3A state tournament earlier this year. Langham Creek placed second in the pool round and advanced to the semifinals, where they lost to Cy Ranch, 37-26. Cy Ranch tied A&M Consol for the championship with a 28-28 score. Langham Creek got third place in the tournament with a 40-20 win over Cy Springs.

Navasota’s spread offense is led by sophomore-to-be quarterback Shelton Eppler, soon-to-be sophomore wide receivers Tren’Davian Dickson and Sammy Blair and a defense that only has one starter that will be a senior this fall (Deionnte Taylor).

O B make that 2 seniors my nephew Jordan Wells :D

OldBison75
06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
VT,
This group is the 7 on 7 group, not the fall starters. This was a bunch of incoming sophomores that were giving 5a 7on7 teams fits. Some of these kids will be starters this fall and some will be valuable backups. As for Wells, he will be the leader on defense this year without a doubt. People that have not seen him play just can't imagine how good he really is.

hollywood
06-12-2013, 11:21 PM
7 on 7 is a very good format that allows the skill players to get reps and sharpen the timing while running wide open at a blistering pace. Success from 7 on 7 does help for the season in the Fall. 1A's can beat 5A's and vise versa. When the pads are on... there's a huge difference of the physicality. If a team has both a very solid quick tempo passing attack and a solid group of LB's and DB's who can cover on the defensive side combined with beef up front on both sides, look out. Success in the Fall is a given.

Wishing the Rattlers another strong year of football.

The Ville will be reloaded and ready. ;)

Manso/V8
06-13-2013, 01:10 AM
I think 7on7 is especially beneficial for spread teams.

Ville-D
06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Top ten preseason:

1. Carthage
2. Gilmer
3. Stephenville
4. La Marque
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Celina
8. Palestine
9. WOS
10. El Campo

But, come playoff time I believe it will be:
1. Stephenville
2. Carthage
3. Navasota
4. Gilmer
5. Kilgore
6. La Marque
7. Argyle
8. Celina
9. El Campo
10. WOS

Final 4 D1: Stephenville vs Kilgore and Carthage vs El Campo
D1 SC Stephenville over Carthage

D2 SC Gilmer

OLE'BULL
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Top ten preseason:

1. Carthage
2. Gilmer
3. Stephenville
4. La Marque
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Celina
8. Palestine
9. WOS
10. El Campo

1. Stephenville
2. Carthage
3. Navasota
4. Gilmer
5. Kilgore
6. La Marque
7. Argyle
8. Celina
9. El Campo
10. WOS

D2 SC Gilmer

Bellville not in either conversation, just how I like it!

Manso/V8
06-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Bellville not in either conversation, just how I like it!

You never saw Bellville in any of the preseason polls last year, and the Brahmas ended up being in the top 5 by season end!

The rankings always have a bias for North Texas/Metro region teams, thrown in with some former 4A teams, and there is always
WOS that seems to be over-hyped every year.

Saggy Aggie
06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
You never saw Bellville in any of the preseason polls last year, and the Brahmas ended up being in the top 5 by season end!

The rankings always have a bias for North Texas/Metro region teams, thrown in with some former 4A teams, and there is always

Have you ever seen WOS play?

I mean... They're usually pretty darn good. I haven't seen a state champ caliber team, but when have you seen a weak team beat them? They're usually 3 rounds kinda team year in and year out. Around 10ish... They've got one of the best defenses in 3A year in and year out, just usually don't have enough offense to win it all. I personally think they're a top 10 team every year... Not quite top 5 tho

toddg
06-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Alvarado Indians..9 returning starters on defense, 3 OL starters are all that returns on offense..outstanding players coming in from undefeated JV are chomping at the bit to get their chance to shine on varsity. the OL will be big and physical with a mean streak, backfield will have alot of speed,,will be interesting to see how it all falls into place this season!! my oldest son will be a soph. this year and will be playing JV, he had a very good offseason..as of April 13' testing he is 5'10.5" 194lbs bench 210, squat 335, 40 time 4.8, agility 13.2, mile 6:44..he is determined to improve those #s this summer..he works hard, so i believe he will..proud of him!
'

87coog
06-14-2013, 07:13 AM
WOS always has a good team, if you look at who played Navasota the closest all season it was La Marque. Had not that TD been called back on a phantom block that no-one saw that game would have gotton real interesting. I wathced that officail throw that flag well after Mrcer was 60 yard down the field. This was by far one of the weaker teams LM has had in the last six years. this will something to see because from what I am hearing so far LM will be a load. I don't see them beating Texas City this year but TC will be loaded for a 4A team but I think in the end it will be Gilmer and LM playing for a state title.

OLE'BULL
06-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Yep, like I said, I prefer it that way.

OldBison75
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM
WOS always has a good team, if you look at who played Navasota the closest all season it was La Marque. Had not that TD been called back on a phantom block that no-one saw that game would have gotton real interesting. I wathced that officail throw that flag well after Mrcer was 60 yard down the field. This was by far one of the weaker teams LM has had in the last six years. this will something to see because from what I am hearing so far LM will be a load. I don't see them beating Texas City this year but TC will be loaded for a 4A team but I think in the end it will be Gilmer and LM playing for a state title.

Give up the phantom call complaint. There were two flags thrown--one for holding and one for an illegal block in the back. Both flags were thrown within 15 yards of the runner and both were clear penalties. According to the review of the play by the Chapter supervisor, both flags were legitimate and not phantom. I have also watched the video posted by LaMarque on YouTube and you can clearly see the jersey of one defender being held that causes the defender to spin around and then Navasota #2 breaks from a block and turns to run toward the runner and is hit from behind by another blocker. This is exactly the same thing that the chapter reported resulted in the call. LaMarque was good enough to win that game, but don't disrespect the Navasota team and try to blame the loss on the officials.

Manso/V8
06-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Have you ever seen WOS play?

I mean... They're usually pretty darn good. I haven't seen a state champ caliber team, but when have you seen a weak team beat them? They're usually 3 rounds kinda team year in and year out. Around 10ish... They've got one of the best defenses in 3A year in and year out, just usually don't have enough offense to win it all. I personally think they're a top 10 team every year... Not quite top 5 tho

I saw a lot of the Navasota-WOS film. I know that they had some really good teams a few years back, and they are usually pretty good every year. My impression is that they haven't been as good in recent years as people rank them.
There was a lot of talk about their defense this year, and possibly beating Navasota, and it wasn't even close. I guess you could say they have poll momentum. Their past history improves some people's perception of them.
Just an opinion.

Manso/V8
06-14-2013, 04:29 PM

LM has a great history and they gave Navasota a run for their money. Bellville played them Navasota very close, shut down their offensive machine better than anyone this anyone this year. We too had some disappointing calls that could have impacted the game and maybe the outcome if they had gone our way.
I think it is too early to tell how these teams will fare down through the playoffs this year. I think the Brahmas will make a run, but you never know until the games are played.

cowboyandchrist
06-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Top ten preseason:

1. Carthage
2. Gilmer
3. Stephenville
4. La Marque
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Celina
8. Palestine
9. WOS
10. El Campo

1. Stephenville
2. Carthage
3. Navasota
4. Gilmer
5. Kilgore
6. La Marque
7. Argyle
8. Celina
9. El Campo
10. WOS

D2 SC Gilmer

I agree with everything you said except the Ville over the Dawgs. I have no Idea if Carthage can or will beat the Ville if they meet. All I know is it would be a game I think everyone in the state will want to see. Lets go Dawgs !

regaleagle
06-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Methinks a Carthage/Stephenville game for the D1 title would be a great game to watch, but only one of several possible matchups this upcoming season that would draw tons of interest. There are many teams in 3A now that can compete for the title in each division.

Manso/V8
06-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Methinks a Carthage/Stephenville game for the D1 title would be a great game to watch, but only one of several possible matchups this upcoming season that would draw tons of interest. There are many teams in 3A now that can compete for the title in each division.

What do youthinks Argyle will look like next year.
Is there another round of high level athletes coming?

buckeyebob
06-16-2013, 07:18 AM
What do youthinks Argyle will look like next year.
Is there another round of high level athletes coming?

Now that we have their number...

regaleagle
06-16-2013, 11:58 AM
I can almost guarantee Argyle will be a VERY formidable team for a regional final in either division this upcoming season....even with the change of offensive coordinator. I look for Ralston and Sadler to be a handful, and some kind of dual quarterback system that includes Sadler behind center. They are like Gilmer.....always bringing up new kids from Jr. High with talent. We just don't talk about the young-uns so much til they get to the varsity level. One thing you can count on with Argyle is a very high participation ratio and quality coaching early on.

Blue42
06-16-2013, 05:02 PM
44, you guys gonna be any good this year? 3A isnt the same when Cuero isnt kicking ass and taking names.

Look for Cuero to have some Freshmen that will turn a lot of eyes and get some people talking.

buckeyebob
06-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Mmmmm...Argyle & Cuero...some of my very favorites...it has been a while for Cuero & Argyle is always a lot of fun...Both know how to play smash-mouth football...we will have some young talent this year tha performed very well on Thursday last year.

87coog
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
hey OLDBISON75 I did not say you guys did not deserve to win I said we played you guys closer than anyone else and the game would have been interesting. we made too many mistakes to win but don't get it twisted, this was one of if not the best teams Navasota has had. La Marque was down a bit. Not disrespecting you guys and I did not say that's why we lost.

Manso/V8
06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
hey OLDBISON75 I did not say you guys did not deserve to win I said we played you guys closer than anyone else and the game would have been interesting. we made too many mistakes to win but don't get it twisted, this was one of if not the best teams Navasota has had. La Marque was down a bit. Not disrespecting you guys and I did not say that's why we lost.

Maybe LM is down because the student population is lower compared to the past.
Numbers have an impact.

Congrats on the Area Championship.

Manso/V8
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Actually, it a thin argument that LM played Navasota so much closer. Bellville gave Navasota a pretty good game, and that was in the fifth round.

87coog
07-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Maybe LM is down because the student population is lower compared to the past.
Numbers have an impact.

Congrats on the Area Championship.

time will tell, I think this year's team maybe better than last year's but we shall see

HEMOTOXIC
07-02-2013, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure if this was the best team that Navasota has produced. That 2008 (?) team that lost to La Vega in the QF's in OT was pretty darn good as well. That night, we had at least 3, if not more, turnovers inside of the Pirates' 20 including a huge turnover in OT. Also, some of those 80's teams were salty as well.

navscanmaster
07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if this was the best team that Navasota has produced. That 2008 (?) team that lost to La Vega in the QF's in OT was pretty darn good as well. That night, we had at least 3, if not more, turnovers inside of the Pirates' 20 including a huge turnover in OT. Also, some of those 80's teams were salty as well.
That team may have had more star power, with 4 FBS recruits and five others that went JUCO, but they didn't have the defense or the perfection in the passing game that 2012 had. I think it is hard to say that we have ever had a better team than our only SC squad.

HEMOTOXIC
07-03-2013, 06:11 AM
That team may have had more star power, with 4 FBS recruits and five others that went JUCO, but they didn't have the defense or the perfection in the passing game that 2012 had. I think it is hard to say that we have ever had a better team than our only SC squad.

I agree to some extent, especially when comparing the 2008 team. However, the 1996 team was just as talented. They lost to the eventual champ La Marque while in 4a. This was during La Marque's run. Could the 2012 team faired any better than the 1996 team? Different coaches and players. Kinda hard to say which team was better or if this was the "best" Navasota team that we have seen.

87coog
07-03-2013, 07:19 AM

Really, well that was one h*ll of a La Vega team then if they beat you guys even with turnovers. I am hard pressed to see a Navasota team better than this version but you being a Rattler I give you the benifit of the doubt on knowing your teams history. This 2012 Rattler team could flat out throw the football on a level equivelant to any team in any class I have seen in a long time. They were everything they were billed to be. LM was talented but unorganized and sloppy.

HEMOTOXIC
07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Really, well that was one h*ll of a La Vega team then if they beat you guys even with turnovers. I am hard pressed to see a Navasota team better than this version but you being a Rattler I give you the benifit of the doubt on knowing your teams history. This 2012 Rattler team could flat out throw the football on a level equivelant to any team in any class I have seen in a long time. They were everything they were billed to be. LM was talented but unorganized and sloppy.

The potential of that 2008 team was there. La Vega was good. Could they beat the 2012 Rattlers, probably not. The 2008 team wasn't nearly as focused as the 2012. But, they definitely were as talented. Lead by RB Dexter Pratt and WR B Jackson they made for a very good team. Defensively, they weren't as good. So, I would say 2012 was overall better. Comparing the 1996 team would be a closer matchup with the 2012 Rattlers.

Old Green
07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Look for Cuero to have some Freshmen that will turn a lot of eyes and get some people talking.That's what I'm looking at. If those 19 freshman that were on the 8th grade A-team hang in there, then I look for a very good team when they're sophomores next year.

Farmer Fran
07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
1. Carthage
2. Gilmer
3. Stephenville
4. La Marque
5. Coldspring
6. Kilgore
7. Celina
8. El Campo
9. WOS
10. Argyle

No reason just because..

WOS is not even picked to win the district.

Silsbee will win 21 3A

bird_fan
07-05-2013, 03:54 AM
dont under estimate the Ricebirds ou my out talent them but its not a garantee you will beat thyem