PDA

View Full Version : Navasota gets 4 star transfer

Weebe
05-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Kid had many off field problems at Brenham including one a couple of weeks ago that led his mother to withdraw him from school instead of dealing with punishment that BISD handed out. Miraculously, his mom quickly found a job in Navasota. Here is the text of the ESPN article.

Darrion Johnson is getting a fresh start at Navasota, and he couldn’t be happier....
Johnson said leaving Brenham was not in his plans this spring, but it was the move his family had to make.
“I had to leave. My mom got a job down here so I had to leave,” he said. “That’s life. You have to deal with how it goes. I thought I was going to Brenham next year, too, but the job came up so fast for my mom that we had to leave.”

marler1972
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
If I am not mistaken which I may be the punishment will follow him to any public school in Texas.

ronwx5x
05-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Does he not lose a year of eligibility?

Weebe
05-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Does he not lose a year of eligibility?

He will be a senior. If he does, he's done.

Matthew328
05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
It all depends on if his PAPF is signed...he was kicked out of the Brenham athletic program but that doesn't follow him to another school...bottom line is did Brenham sign the PAPF...and if they didnt and they appeal then the DEC will decide if he can play

marler1972
05-10-2013, 02:58 PM
It all depends on if his PAPF is signed...he was kicked out of the Brenham athletic program but that doesn't follow him to another school...bottom line is did Brenham sign the PAPF...and if they didnt and they appeal then the DEC will decide if he can play

I was talking more on the line of Alt School or in school Suspension.

Matthew328
05-10-2013, 03:36 PM
He wasn't in alternative school or suspension....he just withdrew from school after he was removed from athletics

Eagle1
05-11-2013, 10:02 AM
He wasn't in alternative school or suspension....he just withdrew from school after he was removed from athletics
Got to respect the Brenham coaches for removing him most places would let a kid of this caliber get away with murder.

Weebe
05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Got to respect the Brenham coaches for removing him most places would let a kid of this caliber get away with murder.

This wasn't the first time. He was suspended from the team last year as well.

Additup
05-11-2013, 10:17 AM
It all depends on if his PAPF is signed...he was kicked out of the Brenham athletic program but that doesn't follow him to another school...bottom line is did Brenham sign the PAPF...and if they didnt and they appeal then the DEC will decide if he can play Brenham is 4a so they will probably sign off on the PAPF unless kid or parent said or did something excessively dumb...sounds like the kid has at least been schooled up on saying "my mom got a job so we had to move". No reference from the kid or parent about athletics and it'll fly...they better not slip up and talk too much or he'll have to TAPPS it as a senior.

Old Tiger
05-11-2013, 10:44 AM
From a couple of sources I talked with he was removed due to an issue with the dealing and use of drugs.

Tejastrue
05-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I would think Navasota does not want or need this problem.

Manso/V8
05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Maybe getting away from his current situation and friends, and fresh start in a smaller town with a new coach will be good for the kid.
I don't know much about the situation in Brenham, but Fedora seems to place a lot of interest in his players off the field as well.

Weebe
05-11-2013, 01:57 PM
...but Fedora seems to place a lot of interest in his players off the field as well.

And finding their parents jobs.

Manso/V8
05-11-2013, 02:28 PM
And finding their parents jobs.

joke, rumor, or fact?

Matthew328
05-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Don't believe it was drugs that was the issue at Brenham...there were other issues, mainly poor attitude and not showing up for school on a regular basis

Weebe
05-11-2013, 03:37 PM
joke, rumor, or fact?

Joke...sort of.

I find it interesting that his mom found a job in Navasota almost immediately after the incident at Brenham.

Matthew328
05-11-2013, 03:39 PM
It's been at least two weeks...not quite immediate...

Weebe
05-11-2013, 03:43 PM
It's been at least two weeks...not quite immediate...

In the job hunting world, I consider that immediate.

Matthew328
05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
In the job hunting world, I consider that immediate.

It all depends on the field...

OldBison75
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't pretend to know the specifics in this case, but I can assure everybody on here of two things they can take to the bank:

Lee Fedora will be this kids worst nightmare if he is a troublemaker. Fedora does not take crap from the kids and demands they are in school and are team players or they will be out of his program.

I would bet his mother found the job in Navasota on her own--without help from anybody associated with NISD. If you don't know facts, don't accuse anybody of recruiting.

On that note, he may not even be eligible to play, and he may not even be able to break the starting lineup. Navasota will be as good as they were last year without him, a little different look, but still good enough to win it all.

Buff42
05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Fedora is a class act, all day, every day. Y'all are barking up the wrong tree if you think he's got anything remotely shady going on.

Saggy Aggie
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Navasota will be as good as they were last year without him, a little different look, but still good enough to win it all.
I wouldnt go THAT far just yet.

Hard to say what Navasota will look like graduating all those all state guys...

They'll be good, but I doubt they'll be as good as the best team that ever came through Navasota.

You know I'm as big of a navasota guy as there is, I'm just keepin it real.

Manso/V8
05-15-2013, 01:48 AM
I wouldnt go THAT far just yet.

Hard to say what Navasota will look like graduating all those all state guys...

They'll be good, but I doubt they'll be as good as the best team that ever came through Navasota.

You know I'm as big of a navasota guy as there is, I'm just keepin it real.

Let's go ahead and rank Navasota #1.
Based on past experience, Saggie Aggie' is always wrong.
So, I now fully expect Navasota be even better next season.

hollywood
05-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Weird

Saggy Aggie
05-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Let's go ahead and rank Navasota #1.
Based on past experience, Saggie Aggie' is always wrong.
So, I now fully expect Navasota be even better next season.

Haha cept I was saying all last year that it was navasota's year.

I did predict the rattlers by 40 or so over the brahmas though... :)

Manso/V8
05-16-2013, 02:50 AM
I did predict the rattlers by 40 or so over the brahmas though... :)

Yeah you did, you also had a couple of other Navasota-Bellville game predictions.......and you quoted the one that was closest in your post game comment.

I am sure that was an honest mistake brought on by finals weariness.

Congrats on the graduation btw. My advice, try to get on with an operator (oil company) instead of an engineering firm.

HEMOTOXIC
05-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Well, I can say this.

When it comes to location, many don't realize how close Navasota ISD and Brenham ISD are to each other.

I've stated this before, but Washington County (Brenham ISD) /Old Washington (Washington on the Brazos) is closer to Navasota. In fact, Old Washington people pretty much do their shopping and such in Navasota. This is how so many people from Brenham and Navasota are familiar with each other. The distance for Old Washington to Navasota is less than 10 minutes versus 20 minutes or so to Brenham. This is another reason for one of the most hated Rilvaries in Texas.

Former Old Washington residents Limas Sweed attended school in Brenham and his sister attended Navasota ISD.

Now, I don't know much about the transfer, but, it is possible that his familiy lives out in Washington Co, not Brenham, but as location goes, are closer to Navasota. So, for his mother to get a job in Navasota, is not that uncommon.

navscanmaster
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
As an added note, I worked with Limas at Brookshire Bros. in Navasota when I was in HS. He was always joking about us protecting him from the Navasota boys that wanted to beat him up. Old Washington is tied to Navasota, I don't know if that is DJ's case though.

gatordaze
05-22-2013, 10:02 AM
On that note, he may not even be eligible to play, and he may not even be able to break the starting lineup. Navasota will be as good as they were last year without him, a little different look, but still good enough to win it all.

Don't be ridiculous! He will be the best player on your team and on the field unless you end up playing Liberty Eylau's Davion Hall. I hate that he can easily transfer in and make a good school so much better instantly. They should play him both ways and let him sell popcorn in the stands at halftime. He is at a completely different level than almost anyone in 3A much less on that team.

OldBison75
05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
IF he is able to play, he will be an asset, but, there is rumor that he is a prima donna type kid and he will not be playing for Fedora if he is not a team player. There have been some really good players that got very little playing time under Fedora because they would not play team ball. That is what I meant about cracking the lineup. It may be a moot point from what I am hearing. Hear he has trouble attending classes.

navscanmaster
05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Don't be ridiculous! He will be the best player on your team and on the field unless you end up playing Liberty Eylau's Davion Hall. I hate that he can easily transfer in and make a good school so much better instantly. They should play him both ways and let him sell popcorn in the stands at halftime. He is at a completely different level than almost anyone in 3A much less on that team.
Jordan Wells would like a word with you.

speedbump
05-23-2013, 05:57 PM

The guy has less than 100 carries in two years and averages less than 6 a carry. Have you and his mom been divorced for a long time?

Old Tiger
05-23-2013, 06:18 PM
The guy has less than 100 carries in two years and averages less than 6 a carry. Have you and his mom been divorced for a long time?

They focus him on defense more. Brenham's offense isn't that good.

speedbump
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM

That makes sense. Still gotta wonder what scouts see in a problem child.

speedbump
05-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Is he a LB?

Old Tiger
05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
is he a lb?

db..

navscanmaster
05-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Besides D-Line anchor Jordan Wells, who was the title game Defensive MVP and TSWA co-defensive POY for 3A, Navasota still returns several experienced players on defense. Jerbrell Lipscomb, Dionte Taylor, Anthony Small, Willie Creeks, Frantericc Powell, Jerbrell Lipscomb, and Coy Imhoff all have a lot of experience from the 2012 season, and some were part time starters as well. The JV and Freshmen were stocked up with good players as well, so I think the Rattlers have a few rounds deep in the playoffs from their defense alone. If Fedora can plug in some talent on offense, which he never seems to have a problem doing, they'll be contenders with or without Darrion Johnson. I for one hope the kid comes in fresh and ready to make an impact in class and on the field.

Manso/V8
05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Besides D-Line anchor Jordan Wells, who was the title game Defensive MVP and TSWA co-defensive POY for 3A, Navasota still returns several experienced players on defense. Jerbrell Lipscomb, Dionte Taylor, Anthony Small, Willie Creeks, Frantericc Powell, Jerbrell Lipscomb, and Coy Imhoff all have a lot of experience from the 2012 season, and some were part time starters as well. The JV and Freshmen were stocked up with good players as well, so I think the Rattlers have a few rounds deep in the playoffs from their defense alone. If Fedora can plug in some talent on offense, which he never seems to have a problem doing, they'll be contenders with or without Darrion Johnson. I for one hope the kid comes in fresh and ready to make an impact in class and on the field.

Wells is real good. The rest of your argument doesn't sound too convincing, but I am pulling for Navasota.
I too hope Darrion Johnson can get on the right track.

Any update on Xavier Creeks?
I hope he has mended and recovering well.

Weebe
05-23-2013, 11:23 PM

Some feel Johnson is the best DB in the state. And this is the best DB class in Texas in 10 years.

Wells may be the more productive high school player because of the position he plays, but Johnson is a far better college prospect(if his off field issues aren't considered).

navscanmaster
05-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Wells is real good. The rest of your argument doesn't sound too convincing, but I am pulling for Navasota.
I too hope Darrion Johnson can get on the right track.

Any update on Xavier Creeks?
I hope he has mended and recovering well.Doesn't have to convince you, but it is just how I see it. Those kids mentioned recorded several tackles, Lipscomb, Wells, and Imhoff with over 55 each if I am not mistaken. They usually played the entire second half. Creeks was a senior.

navscanmaster
05-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Some feel Johnson is the best DB in the state. And this is the best DB class in Texas in 10 years.

Wells may be the more productive high school player because of the position he plays, but Johnson is a far better college prospect(if his off field issues aren't considered).
I know Darrion got hyped up real big a few months back, but has fallen back down a few notches since. This senior season will tell is a whole lot more about that. With Paris, Sumner-Gardner, Harvey et al it is definitely a strong DB class.

Manso/V8
05-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Creeks was a senior.

I knew he was a senior.
I was wondering if his injury has healed, has he been able to return to full activity, etc.

Weebe
05-24-2013, 06:39 AM
I know Darrion got hyped up real big a few months back, but has fallen back down a few notches since. This senior season will tell is a whole lot more about that. With Paris, Sumner-Gardner, Harvey et al it is definitely a strong DB class.

I personally like some of those db's you mentioned better(along with Jamal Adams and Tony Brown), but I will say that a large part of why DJ has fallen off is because of his off field troubles.

gatordaze
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Why, to ask who are in the top 100 players in the state? He is not on that list.

movethechain
05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Why, to ask who are in the top 100 players in the state? He is not on that list.

Must not be much of a list if Wells is not on it.

gatordaze
05-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Wells may be an awesome DT but he is an unranked player that will not play DT at a D1 level unless he grows 2-3 inches and gains 70 lbs. Darrion is a top 100 national talent that could play early in college. He has his issues and may flame out like many before him. He will still be the best player on the field for Nav. If I were a 3A coach I would raise cane about his shady eligibility.

HEMOTOXIC
05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Wells may be an awesome DT but he is an unranked player that will not play DT at a D1 level unless he grows 2-3 inches and gains 70 lbs. Darrion is a top 100 national talent that could play early in college. He has his issues and may flame out like many before him. He will still be the best player on the field for Nav. If I were a 3A coach I would raise cane about his shady eligibility.

Contact Athletics

Mailing Address
University Interscholastic League
P.O. Box 8028
Austin, Texas, 78713
Street Address
1701 Manor Road
Austin, Texas, 78722 Phone
(512) 471-5883

Fax
Athletics Fax: (512) 471-6589
Fax for Orders Only: (512) 232-6471

Department Email
athletics@uiltexas.org

;)

speedbump
05-24-2013, 04:01 PM

How many times have you seen him play?

gatordaze
05-24-2013, 04:51 PM
How many times have you seen him play?

Really don't need to see him play. If he is listed at 6' tall (which means 5'11) he will not be given an opportunity to play DT at a high level.

As an example, I have twins that were both all state players. They are both essentially the same level of HS player. One is 6'5" 280 lbs and the other is 5'10 205 lbs. One was a Rivals 100 4 star recruit and now plays for Texas the other was not ranked at all and had a few D2 opportunities.

Unless this kid can run a 4.6 and move to linebacker he will not play DT in the Big 12, BIG, SEC, or PAC 12. It is about measurables and MOST great HS players do not have them. 1% of all HS players play at the next level. 1% of those guys play in the NFL.

BwdLion73
05-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Twins?

Matthew328
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
yes twins

speedbump
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Really don't need to see him play. If he is listed at 6' tall (which means 5'11) he will not be given an opportunity to play DT at a high level.

As an example, I have twins that were both all state players. They are both essentially the same level of HS player. One is 6'5" 280 lbs and the other is 5'10 205 lbs. One was a Rivals 100 4 star recruit and now plays for Texas the other was not ranked at all and had a few D2 opportunities.

Unless this kid can run a 4.6 and move to linebacker he will not play DT in the Big 12, BIG, SEC, or PAC 12. It is about measurables and MOST great HS players do not have them. 1% of all HS players play at the next level. 1% of those guys play in the NFL.

I was talking about the superman with one interception last year.

Matthew328
05-24-2013, 05:44 PM
He only had one INT because people just dont throw his way.

He's a hell of a player, there's no doubt about that.

BwdLion73
05-24-2013, 05:49 PM
yes twins

I understand dizygotic or whatever it is called, and I'm sure gatordaze knows what he has. Just reading it made me think of Arnold and Danny and made me smile. Carry on. :thumbsup:

speedbump
05-24-2013, 06:00 PM
He only had one INT because people just dont throw his way.

He's a hell of a player, there's no doubt about that.

Well, maybe he can get his head straight. Be a big waste of talent if he doesn't.

gatordaze
05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I understand dizygotic or whatever it is called, and I'm sure gatordaze knows what he has. Just reading it made me think of Arnold and Danny and made me smile. Carry on. :thumbsup:

The doctors think that the big one had a grip on the little one's umbilical chord in the womb and was cutting off his supply of nutrients. He still does not share very well.

BwdLion73
05-24-2013, 07:18 PM
The doctors think that the big one had a grip on the little one's umbilical chord in the womb and was cutting off his supply of nutrients. He still does not share very well.

:D:clap:

icu812
05-27-2013, 04:34 PM

I know the scouts are highly ranking LE's Davion Hall and he's a heck of an athlete but I'm guessing that is based on his potential. He certainly didn't look like an elite player against Van. Having said that he'll probably tear us a new one this year, lol.

Rabid Cougar
05-27-2013, 07:24 PM

There are a lot of D1 schools that are not in the BIG conferences and there are a lot of D1 DT's that are 6'1". Look up TCU's DT's, 4 of the 6 are 6'1" in the 270-300 range. The average size for DT's in the Sunbelt Conference was 6'1" 278 last year.

I have seen Wells play and he is very good. Probably in the 260 range. Very easily can go D1 and play a lot.

Old Tiger
05-27-2013, 10:42 PM
There are a lot of D1 schools that are not in the BIG conferences and there are a lot of D1 DT's that are 6'1". Look up TCU's DT's, 4 of the 6 are 6'1" in the 270-300 range. The average size for DT's in the Sunbelt Conference was 6'1" 278 last year.

I have seen Wells play and he is very good. Probably in the 260 range. Very easily can go D1 and play a lot.

6'1 listing in HS = 5'9 - 5'11 realistically.

Plus you haven't heard his name at the camps.

navscanmaster
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
6'1 listing in HS = 5'9 - 5'11 realistically.

Plus you haven't heard his name at the camps.
Standing next to Soloman McGinty, who is an inch taller than me, he looked to be about a fist shorter, or at least 5'11 by my best guess. He may still grow height, and certainly bulk. I would simply take issue with calling DJ instantly the best player on the field. Best recruit? Maybe. Best player? Definitely debatable.

Rabid Cougar
05-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Standing next to Soloman McGinty, who is an inch taller than me, he looked to be about a fist shorter, or at least 5'11 by my best guess. He may still grow height, and certainly bulk. I would simply take issue with calling DJ instantly the best player on the field. Best recruit? Maybe. Best player? Definitely debatable.

The BEST player on Navasota's D last year was the Middle LB. Watched him in two games (CS and Gilmer). Extremely impressive.

OldBison75
05-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Wells is 6 foot and is at about 245 pounds realistically. He has the quickness and strength to play down or standing as a LB. Remember, he was a LB as a freshman and part time as a sophomore. He has grown from 5'10 190 to his current size in the last 18 months and is still growing. He could easily end up at about 6'1" 265 or so. The key for Wells is keeping the quickness he displays at the current weight as he gets bigger and stronger.

Now, the question about his recruiting status is interesting in that he may not be ranked in the services in the top 100 or whatever, but, he has gotten looks from some division 1 schools and will probably get a chance, especially if he has another great year as a senior.

It might also be a good idea for everyone to remember that before the year started last year, the names on the radar for the Rattlers were Baker, McGinty, and Collins. They were pretty good, but only Collins was a defensive regular and that was a salty defense. Plus, there are six regulars back from that defense and two others that played a lot during the playoffs.

navscanmaster
05-28-2013, 03:50 PM
The BEST player on Navasota's D last year was the Middle LB. Watched him in two games (CS and Gilmer). Extremely impressive.
Heck, he wasn't even the starter at the beginning of the year. That is the thing about labeling players based on the recruiting worthiness. Will Imhoff, the starter that we lost to a broken leg early on, was not going to be recruited at 5'5". But the entire defense knew when he was gone.