PDA

View Full Version : Well, today...

Saggy Aggie
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I took my last final exam as a student at A&M.

Graduating on Saturday. I did get accepted to grad school here but I'd rather go make money lol

Anyways, I'm just an old Aggie Alumni now.

Btw, lil pancho is also graduating. So congrats to him and his pops

Macarthur
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Congratulations.

Let this old guy give you some advise. If you can possibly do it, stay in and go to graduate school. It is very very difficult to go back once you've started in the working world.

Bullaholic
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Graduating on Saturday. I did get accepted to grad school here but I'd rather go make money lol

Congrats to you and lil Pancho, Saggy. I wish you both success.

refereedoc
05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Let me give you some different advice from Macarthur. I teach at a university and most students I have experienced that stay and work on a graduate degree usually are not as reflective and productive as students that come back after experiencing the CCW (cold cruel world). They will have real world experience and a new sense of focus. There are exceptions such as those going into medical fields where they will continue immediately, but for most I would highly recommend the path you are following now. My son is an Aggie so Gig 'Em!

Saggy Aggie
05-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Let me give you some different advice from Macarthur. I teach at a university and most students I have experienced that stay and work on a graduate degree usually are not as reflective and productive as students that come back after experiencing the CCW (cold cruel world). They will have real world experience and a new sense of focus. There are exceptions such as those going into medical fields where they will continue immediately, but for most I would highly recommend the path you are following now. My son is an Aggie so Gig 'Em!

This is kinda what I've heard.

Also, the field I'm going into... There isn't much difference between a bachelor and a masters degree and the companies have said that the starting pay/position is the same regardless of your degree and that it's not really worth it.

That said, the company I'll be working for has a program they sponsor they UH's new subsea engineering dept that allows their employees to get their masters degree if they want to.

Gsquared
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Congrats Saggy!!!!!!!!!!!

bobcat1
05-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Congrats to you and lil Pancho, Saggy. I wish you both success.

+1:thumbsup:

bobcat1
05-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Oh no you didn't just disagree with the Mighty Mac. Tell me you didn't. LMAO

defense51
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Congratulations!

Cam
05-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Congrats Saggy!....I always knew you were a smart sumbeech!...:D......I was a subsea engineer once...in a past life......but on the 3rd day on the job I fell over the platform rig and drowned in the deep blue gulf!....That's what I get for tryin' to pee on the seagulls flyin' below!.........:crazy1:......

ccmom
05-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Big Congrats!!!!!!!!

Rabid Cougar
05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Congrates and Gig'em:2thumbsup Class of '86

Txbroadcaster
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Congrats

and I have to respectfully disagree about coming back...I came back to college 3 times before finally sticking with it and graduating and I wish now I would have stayed for graduate school right then because my wife and I both have spent the last 10 years saying this will be the year but then life and bills make us wait...those that come back might work harder, but why wait when you can knock it out now( and still work) and be higher on the ladder younger

Saggy Aggie
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Congrats

and I have to respectfully disagree about coming back...I came back to college 3 times before finally sticking with it and graduating and I wish now I would have stayed for graduate school right then because my wife and I both have spent the last 10 years saying this will be the year but then life and bills make us wait...those that come back might work harder, but why wait when you can knock it out now( and still work) and be higher on the ladder younger

If you refer to my last post, this particular field doesn't care if you masters/phd or bachelor. If you move up, it'll be because you work hard... Not because you went to school for an extra 2 years.

Starting pay/position is the exact same for bachelor and masters students

44INAROW
05-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Oh no you didn't just disagree with the Mighty Mac. Tell me you didn't. LMAO

OMG - clean up on isle 9...............I just spit my tea out....................

oh yea - Congrats to you Saggy............. and Pancho.. please tell your son congrats as well................ woohoo!!

Maroon87
05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
If you refer to my last post, this particular field doesn't care if you masters/phd or bachelor. If you move up, it'll be because you work hard... Not because you went to school for an extra 2 years.

Starting pay/position is the exact same for bachelor and masters students

Same with my field...which is why I never pursued a Master's. I'd kinda like to now but I really don't want to spend a lot of free time having to study lol.

Roughneck93
05-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Congrats SA...:2thumbsup