PDA

View Full Version : One-Game Playoff vs. 3-Game Series

regaleagle
05-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Who and how is this determined? What are your opinions on this "option"? I can understand the dynamics of saving pitchers' arms(for the favorite), and for a one-gamer for the underdog. Are these the main reasons for each team using this option?

Matthew328
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
I think its determined via coin flip if the two parties dont agree

Tejastrue
05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I wasn't aware they even did this. It defintely worked against us. One and done. :bigcry:

FB-fanatic
05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
One games determines who has the best pitcher; three games determines who has the best team.

defense51
05-06-2013, 10:30 PM
One game series is dangerous for the favorite, as we all know the old saying "any given Sunday".

Weebe
05-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Back in the 90's, if the teo coaches couldnt agree, it defaulted to a one game.

i think it is the opposite now.

It's ridiculous in softball.

regaleagle
05-07-2013, 03:23 AM
I think you see alot of one-gamer coin flips in the area round of winner vs. third. Past this round, the teams left should be better matched to play a series. It's always a little more difficult and more pressure for the highly ranked team to play those one-gamers, regardless of who they're facing. The big underdog team just throws caution to the wind and gives it their best shot. Sometimes that makes a big difference because the players play "looser" and end up winning the game. I'm not sure I agree with a one-game option after a season earning your way to get to this playoff tournament. I'm of the opinion that ALL matches should be settled on a Best of 3 series to keep all things equal amongst all contenders in the tournament. But that's just my opinion. If a highly ranked team is to be knocked out, I'd like to see it happen in a series, not a one-gamer. By the same token, any "upsets" should also occur in a series basis, IMO. That would legitimize all teams advancing each week, and the tournament in general.

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Back in the 90's, if the teo coaches couldnt agree, it defaulted to a one game.

i think it is the opposite now.

It's ridiculous in softball.

Yes, I am sure El Campo wanted one game with us this year in softball and that got the benefit of the flip. I also favor the series over one gamer, anybody's game in one.

speedbump
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Yes, I am sure El Campo wanted one game with us this year in softball and that got the benefit of the flip. I also favor the series over one gamer, anybody's game in one.

If LG doesn't beat the Ladybirds this year they may find it pretty tough to do the next two. Very, very young team. But they are getting better and better.

Rabid Cougar
05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Pitching is the factor for both cases. If you only have one, or you have two or three. Three game series were favorable to us last year and hopefully continue to favor us this year.