PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City and Jasper potent in Baseball!

Old Cardinal
02-25-2002, 05:53 PM
It's comical once again, Buna is rated #4 in 3A baseball Last year Bridge City easily took the District title with a re-building team and will really swamp Buna this year! The polls of 3A keep living in the past, on records of players that are long-gone. Bridge City has won all their scrimmages except Jasper who they tied 5-5 in 9 innings. They won a tough "big school" laden tournament this past weekend. Thier JV placed second in the tournament! Look for Luther Sanders and Derek Blackshear to go straight to the Pros after next year's season... that's getting to be a regular happening for BC pitchers the last one pitches for the Cincinatti Reds. Jasper has a great 4A team this year-look for them to make waves in 3A next year. Coach Moore always scrimmages Louisiana's prepetual baseball powerhouse (Sulphur, La.) and this year is no exception-that's HS baseball at its best. Poor Buna, they were knocked out of District last year and will be again this year-there reign of terror is over.

Matthew328
02-26-2002, 12:17 AM
To me Forney has gotta be the number one team on the diamond...if they don't win it this year with the talent they have especially on the mound then the town of Forney is cursed! LOL

footballfan
02-26-2002, 08:58 AM
Please do not say CURSED very loud. Polysemous may be listening.

[This message has been edited by footballfan (edited February 26, 2002).]

Old Cardinal
02-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Well BC dropped their first game it was to Sulphur La. Although, they had had no trouble with Sulphur before, this time Coach Moore pitched his #4,#5 and #6 pitchers. That's great that he has no fanatic win-at-all-cost attitude and really gave his defense a workout! If you don't allow them to be active on defense because of your good pitching, then you have not prepared for District play. Buna has 4 good lefthanders for the mound; however Luther Sanders and Derek Blackshear from BC are far superior. Last year both BC and Kirbyville beat Buna. They too went far into the playoffs because they did not have to face the best playoff teams. BC will face DeRidder, Louisiana in the big top-team Tournament Classic in Lake Charles, La.- Friday night. Just receiving an invite to that tournament is a real compliment.

Old Cardinal
03-01-2002, 05:15 PM
Bridge City opened up Thursday night at that Big top-team tournament in Lake Charles La. by beating #4 ranked Louisiana Big School-DeRidder 4-1....Both Sanders and Blackshear pitched. Senior, Tyler Hayes, hit a 2 run double to seal it; Hunter Hayes a Freshman went 2-3 They go against Louisiana rated Sam Houston HS next....Coach Moore is hoping for a repeat Championship, like last weekend, when they beat 4A Lumberton 9-0 for the local big school tournament here in SE Texas.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-04-2002, 02:29 AM
i have'nt seen the rankings in baseball, but i was told Sinton was rank 6th. They had Austin Bowie(told rank in 5A) on the ropes before game was called due to weather up 5-4. They were 5-0 after winning Fredicksburg Tourney.win over 4a SA Alamo Heights 17-4, Manor 10-0 and Fredicksburg 6-2.They lost in Consolation Game against The Woodlands 3-1 in a very tough Corpus Christi Tournament. Who should Sinton look out for in region 3 and 4.

Old Green
03-04-2002, 06:24 AM
Sinton fan the top teams out of Region 4 are LaGrange #2, Sinton#6, Bishop#7, and Cuero#8.Cuero is playing a lot better Since Losing scrimage to Sinton. Region 3 Has Buna at #4.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-05-2002, 12:58 AM
Region 4 look like it might be tough to get out of. Old Green do ya'll play or have played LaGrange this year if yes how do they compare against Sinton. Good Luck in baseball and look forward to football season when both teams meet next season.

Old Green
03-05-2002, 05:09 PM
SintonFan. I don,t LaGrange is Scheduled to Play Cuero. Hadn't heard much out of LaGrange so far this season but they should be good again. I beleive they were mostly sophomores and juniors last year.

sinton66
03-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Old Card, who are the top teams out of R3?

Old Cardinal
03-07-2002, 10:35 PM
To Sinton 66: I really think that Bridge City and Orangefield are two of the better ones. Buna has a high rating;however, either H-J or H-F have beaten them this year already. Last year BC was re-building and lost to Buna early only to come back and win the District anyway. Barber Hill graduated heavily; however they have good developmental Coaching. Orangefield's Coach Shane Hanks is about the best of the young Coaches in Texas and will probably move to a 5A in a year or two. Bridge City beat 2A Comesenil (last year's 2A finalist) by 7 runs Tuesday night. Tonight, I watched them demolish a top Louisiana 4A team (Sam Houston) Lake Charles-it was 11-0 at the end of the Third. Jamey Knight, BC's #3 pitcher threw a 5 inning no-hitter! Jamey is BC's possible all state Quarterback next year. They have two aces that will go Pro from HS, but they need a 3td pitcher to advance very far. Orangefield lost to Ozen 12-8 tonight-they have a very good team; however just one top-caliber pitcher. Ozen in a good 4A magnet school-drawing all the athlete's in the greater Beaumont area.....As you know, they won State in Basketball last year and are undefeated by Texas teams in the last 60+ games- and at present are in the State tournament this weekend. Let me think about this question a while, there are several good teams but I am not sure who is the very best.

BH_146
03-07-2002, 11:34 PM
Old Card, I don't know why some would overlook BC. From reading posts from other boards tough, it appears that they are envious of BC's talent. I can't see anyone in your district challenging the Cards for the title. I think you are right about our coaches but they do have a long road to go with this group. So far though, Barbers Hill is 4-1 with a line-up that has basically started a freshmen, 3 sophs, 3 juniors and 2 seniors. We had hoped to be tested in the Sealy tournament and we opened with a 9-3 win against Giddings. But the weather cancelled the rest of the tournament. By the way, BC girls are the only one's to have defeated our softball team heading into the Beaumont tournament. How have the Lady Cards been doing since their tournament?

Old Cardinal
03-08-2002, 12:04 AM
To: BH_146 I really like the Coaching of Byrd and the other one, with the funny name-I look for them to be very tough by playoff time......BC girls lost Laura Gremillion their Ace pitcher to a back injury...She was All-State as a Freshmen, but is having to lay out her Junior year because of two operations....They want go too far this year, but watch out next year-they will be loaded, Laura will be back! What do you think of your football Dist. alignment next year?

sinton66
03-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Old Card, Anybody hoping to get out of R4 has to get by defending champ La Grange. From what I hear, Yoakum is pretty strong too. Sinton and Odem both look pretty strong so far, but it's a long way to go yet. Both are playing this weekend in 4A Corpus Christi Calallen's tournament. Couple of SA area 5A teams in the mix. Will be interesting to see how they do.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited March 08, 2002).]

BH_146
03-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Old Card, most people here are welcoming a change. Personally, I wish Hardin had gone north and we could have been in with BC. Hardin is closer to those schools anyway. I have been at Barbers Hill long enough to remember when we were in the same district with next season's competitors. And though I'm sure that things have changed at some of the schools, like Splendora, I would just prefer competing with H-F, H-J, BC,etc. I guess its just my Golden Triangle background. I would have quickly returned to the area long ago but the wife grumbled something about over a dead body. So, I don't have anything against those schools. But I do remember having a player knocked unconscious with a broken collarbone while playing at one of these schools and being told no ambulance was coming because they were not happy with the host school. A local county deputy convinced them otherwise. Surely, things have changed.

Old Cardinal
03-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Well, I just watched a good tournament final game in Bridge City this evening. Lumberton avenged their 9-0 tournament final, loss to BC two weeks ago, by beating BC 8-7 in the bottom of the last inning. Clay Buckholtzs knocked a two run homer to erase the BC lead. It was a game where the outcome was always in question. Looks like if there is a tournament in SE TX that these two team enter, they will end up playing for the Championship. Lumberton 4A and Bridge City 3A are primed for their Districts to begin.

sinton66
03-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Sinton tried starting a couple of freshmen pitchers in the Calallen tournament, and didn't fare well, lost two games the first day. Came back and beat one of the SA 5A schools something like 17-5 the second day.
District play opens tomorrow vs. Mathis.

Old Cardinal
03-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Bridge City finally beat Lumberton 11-9 in the 10th inning tonight (Tues.). These teams are evenly matched and its always a good ballgame. Clay Buckholtz the SS from Lumberton has to be the best home run hitter in Texas baseball this year! He is more than inpressive.

Old Cardinal
03-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Woodville came into Bridge City riding a 14-2 winning streak tonight, They had beat 4A Jasper twice,thus, dropping Jasper from #6 to #8 in the 4A polls. Bridge City prevailed however by a score of 7-5. Luther Sanders, the BC ace had to come in to a 4-4 ballgame to pull it out. Sanders has a broken finger and was not slated to pitch for several weeks. There were a number of spectacular defensive plays by both teams, in this opening District ballgame.

Birdman
03-23-2002, 12:39 AM
Ditto on the kudos for the Cardinal baseball team tonight, OC! Jamey's monster blast to start the game, Derek's pitching and defensive play, Lanston's timely bunts, Chris's two defensive gems, Kaleb's bat, Luther coming into a 5-4 game for the save....too much to list here. Total team effort against a good Woodville squad. Get after those Wildcats on Tuesday!!

Old Cardinal
03-26-2002, 10:49 PM
B.C. swamped Kirbyville tonight. Derek Blackshear pitched a one hitter into the sixth inning with a score of 7-0 at that point. This is a hitting team similar to the 1992 4A finalist team.