PDA

View Full Version : Sealy rumor???

Lucky2Coach
05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Heard it's about to open up.... any truth to that?

Tejastrue
05-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Again??? ;)

sTxforlife
05-03-2013, 03:52 PM
There was talk about it earlier in the semester but nothing has come about. I would think that it would be too late in the year to make any move now.

Cam
05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
....I just love rumors......

sTxforlife
05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I stand corrected, word on the street from the school is that he accepted the job at Beeville.

rancher
05-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Word at Tonys this morning he is Beeville Bound. Looks like the Old Coaches net work has the same thing.

Weebe
05-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Sounds like he was run out of town. Other than maybe a slight pay raise, I can't imagine Beeville being an upgrade.

He certainly won't have better athletes to work with.

Gone Fishing
05-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Go for two.......Lol

sTxforlife
05-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Sounds like he was run out of town. Other than maybe a slight pay raise, I can't imagine Beeville being an upgrade.

He certainly won't have better athletes to work with.

Couldn't have gotten much better than what he had the past 5 years at Sealy. The majority in Sealy believed that it was time for a change.

sTxforlife
05-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Go for two.......Lol

We're never going to hear the end of this are we??

Manso/V8
05-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Go for two.......Lol

They went for two and scored!......at least that is what the photos showed from the game at Wimberley.

sTxforlife
05-04-2013, 12:55 AM
they went for two and scored!......at least that is what the photos showed from the game at wimberley.

amen manso!!!!

Tejastrue
05-04-2013, 01:22 AM
They went for two and scored!......at least that is what the photoshopped pictures showed from the game at Wimberley.

fify

PS Manso...I've always wanted to use this acronym..lmao

maestro
05-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Sealy townsfolk should have all taken a deep breath and chilled

Sealy lost a solid winner

And they've got above ave talent coming from 7th and 8th grade groups

sTxforlife
05-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Sealy townsfolk should have all taken a deep breath and chilled

Sealy lost a solid winner

And they've got above ave talent coming from 7th and 8th grade groups

Correction we lost a man that won during the regular season but couldn't produce in the playoffs and never took advantage of the talent he had.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Now maybe Beeville could be competative again in Football, they have had some down years since they lost Soza to Alice. Mitchell should get that program up and going again.

gambler1606
05-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Now maybe Beeville could be competative again in Football, they have had some down years since they lost Soza to Alice. Mitchell should get that program up and going again.

Wish Mitchell the best! There will be a long list of Coaches that apply for this job. I would definitly look at Long from East Bernard and Cherny from Shiner. I hope our School Board doesn't allow our illiterate Sup to make the decision this time. Sealy needs someone who knows how to build a program from the ground floor up.

stxtiger
05-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Wish Mitchell the best! There will be a long list of Coaches that apply for this job. I would definitly look at Long from East Bernard and Cherny from Shiner. I hope our School Board doesn't allow our illiterate Sup to make the decision this time. Sealy needs someone who knows how to build a program from the ground floor up.

You will run into a problem with long as Sealy has been a spread team for 5 years with Mitchell Changing to the slot t will cause headaches the first year and if you listen to the loud mouths in Sealy if you dont make a deep run you dont know how to coach. Could be setting him up for failure

Tejastrue
05-04-2013, 11:16 PM
I know we have had our banter back and forth and I can assure you it was all in fun but I hate to see this happen to any program...especially Sealy. Best of luck in your search for a new HC.

PS..I miss you guys on our schedule. Our last two matchups were some of the most entertaining games I've had a privilege to be a spectator of...controversy or not.

YTBulldogs
05-05-2013, 12:37 AM
I heard Bowman was seen in Sealy today?

YTBulldogs
05-05-2013, 12:39 AM

Not sure the townsfolk would like Cerny's (Shiner) style of offense there.

sTxforlife
05-05-2013, 01:39 AM
As long as the coach knows how to use the talent he has and is wiling to make changes and adapt to the kids he has, I think the townspeople of Sealy will be happy as long as we are winning. That was one of the problems people had with Mitchell. He wouldn't make suitable changes to play to the strengths of the kids he had.

Weebe
05-05-2013, 01:43 AM
As long as the coach knows how to use the talent he has and is wiling to make changes and adapt to the kids he has, I think the townspeople of Sealy will be happy as long as we are winning. That was one of the problems people had with Mitchell. He wouldn't make suitable changes to play to the strengths of the kids he had.

Can't say I can argue that Sealy got the most out of their talent.

Saggy Aggie
05-05-2013, 02:18 AM
Sealy has way too much talent to not be a perennial threat and make runs year after year

YTBulldogs
05-05-2013, 02:36 AM

Steve Cerny would not ever change from the offense he knows I assure you. Regardless of the kids he has. Bowman would be a good fit.

Scoop27
05-05-2013, 07:06 AM
How far is Sealy down the line of moving up to 4A? if at all?
Would it 6-8 years or longer?

speedbump
05-05-2013, 07:52 AM
So when are the fans going to run the baseball coach?

XMan
05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Baseball coaches in Sealy only get run off if they win too much.

Manso/V8
05-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Sealy has way too much talent to not be a perennial threat and make runs year after year

I don't agree.

speedbump
05-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't agree.

And I agree with your non agreement. LOL It's amazing that he got as much out of those kids as he did in that circus atmosphere the last couple of years.

sTxforlife
05-05-2013, 11:47 AM
And I agree with your non agreement. LOL It's amazing that he got as much out of those kids as he did in that circus atmosphere the last couple of years.

IMO 09-10 was the best team he had, way too much depth and talent on that team not to make a deep playoff run. 10-11 was a close second to that team, playoff performance was not a great indicator of how great both of those teams were.

speedbump
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
IMO 09-10 was the best team he had, way too much depth and talent on that team not to make a deep playoff run. 10-11 was a close second to that team, playoff performance was not a great indicator of how great both of those teams were.

Looks like he needed some help coaching the defense in 09 for sure.

sTxforlife
05-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Looks like he needed some help coaching the defense in 09 for sure.
Most definitely, it still baffles me to this day how you can blow a 28-7 lead when your team had all the momentum and was dominating the game.

gambler1606
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I have my own opinions as well as alot of people around Sealy. The Mitchell era is over and now we need to find a Coach who can build a program. You judge a Coach 3 years down the road not day one of 2-a-days. Regardless, of the Slot T, Spread or Pro Style Offense you build from the 7th grade level up. Bellville is going to VERY strong next year and El Campo is always tuff, Wharton is gonna be salty. I just hope our School Board gets it right the 1st time!!

Saggy Aggie
05-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Well all I can see from an uneducated outsiders point of view is multiple D1 athletes.

There are tons of teams that don't even have a single player go D2 yet still produce quality runs.

Idk what the circus atmosphere was... But I know if I was a Sealy fan, i'd expect better performances with players like Davis/RSJ...

rancher
05-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Going to be a good job for someone, I hear that Rusty Nails from Mart is interested when the job opens. I am also hearing a lot of 5a coord. and former head coaches are looking at the job. The list for this job will be 250 plus applicants. I cannot understand how Sealy has not been very deep into the playoffs since Mitchell took over wilth all the talent they have. The district will be very down next year. Bellville lost all the defensive line and linebackers, offensive line and QB. Sealy will be the perfect job for someone to take over and make a deep playoff run. Very very likely for the right person.

sTxforlife
05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Going to be a good job for someone, I hear that Rusty Nails from Mart is interested when the job opens. I am also hearing a lot of 5a coord. and former head coaches are looking at the job. The list for this job will be 250 plus applicants. I cannot understand how Sealy has not been very deep into the playoffs since Mitchell took over wilth all the talent they have. The district will be very down next year. Bellville lost all the defensive line and linebackers, offensive line and QB. Sealy will be the perfect job for someone to take over and make a deep playoff run. Very very likely for the right person.
I'd love to see Sealy go back to a running offense, we have the kids for it, plenty of big linemen coming up, then with the Soph Wallace, if you could get him 20+ carries a game the kid could put up scary numbers. Go back to the Sealy offense of the old days!

Weebe
05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Really?

The expectations for the new coach are to win a district that had a finalist and semifinalist last year and to make a really deep playoff run when your team lost two D1 kids and didn't make the playoffs last year?

Apparently Mitchell figured out Sealy fans are insane.

sTxforlife
05-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Really?

The expectations for the new coach are to win a district that had a finalist and semifinalist last year and to make a really deep playoff run when your team lost two D1 kids and didn't make the playoffs last year?

Apparently Mitchell figured out Sealy fans are insane.
Every year Sealy expects to do well, no matter who is in their district, Sealy fans were just fed up with the constant wasting of great talent that because commonplace when Mitchell was here.

Tejastrue
05-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Rusty Nails? Is he any kin to Squeaky Hinge from Muleshoe?

sTxforlife
05-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Every year Sealy expects to do well, no matter who is in their district, Sealy fans were just fed up with the constant wasting of great talent that because commonplace when Mitchell was here.
became* my bad

Bull's-eye
05-05-2013, 09:34 PM
The district will be very down next year. Bellville lost all the defensive line and linebackers, offensive line and QB. Sealy will be the perfect job for someone to take over and make a deep playoff run. Very very likely for the right person.

I believe Bellville has 2 returning DL starters, one started as a freshman & the other was a Jr that got hurt earlier in the year. The Brahmas return 2 of their starting linebackers & 4 of their offensive linemen. Not sure where you got your information, but I expect Bellville to have a very strong team. We are definitely pulling for Sealy, need them & EC to go big school.

Manso/V8
05-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I believe Bellville has 2 returning DL starters, one started as a freshman & the other was a Jr that got hurt earlier in the year. The Brahmas return 2 of their starting linebackers & 4 of their offensive linemen. Not sure where you got your information, but I expect Bellville to have a very strong team. We are definitely pulling for Sealy, need them & EC to go big school.

Yep, returning 4 OL that now have 3 years of slot t experience under their bel. That group of 4 includes the RT Big Diesel. Big D measures in at 6'1"-310 and had more than his share of pancakes last year despite playing with a torn meniscus from the El Campo game forward. He will anchor the strong side of the line which is so important in the slot t. Don't forget that the 3 kids who have started in the backfield the last two years will be returning for their senior season. We have two very capable potential replacement QB's as well.

You are right about the defensive side of the ball too, but forget about the ultra-quick corner that laid that big hit on the Wimberley receiver that stopped a drive at the goal line in the Area game. He returns for his senior year.

These kids are coming off of a 15 game season, which gave them more game experience and big game experience.
The Brahmas have the potential to big very good this year.

Tejastrue
05-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Yep, returning 4 OL that now have 3 years of slot t experience under their bel. That group of 4 includes the RT Big Diesel. Big D measures in at 6'1"-310 and had more than his share of pancakes last year despite playing with a torn meniscus from the El Campo game forward. He will anchor the strong side of the line which is so important in the slot t. Don't forget that the 3 kids who have started in the backfield the last two years will be returning for their senior season. We have two very capable potential replacement QB's as well.

You are right about the defensive side of the ball too, but forget about the ultra-quick corner that laid that big hit on the Wimberley receiver that stopped a drive at the goal line in the Area game. He returns for his senior year.

These kids are coming off of a 15 game season, which gave them more game experience and big game experience.
The Brahmas have the potential to big very good this year.

That was a nice, clean hit...dang it!

hookandladder
05-06-2013, 06:16 AM

I bet our old coach is kicking himself in the butt about now, Sealy would have been a much better job then Columbus. Timing is everything.

957tiger
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
The end of the Jimmy Mitchell era in Sealy. While I didn't agree with a lot of what he did, he manged to put together some interesting numbers. Since 2007 he was 48-19. In 6 years he never had a losing season. 5 out of 6 years his teams made the playoffs. 4 district championships. Managed to increase particpation in a program that had seen a decline. I personally think the 09/10 teams were the best of his era. A combined 20-3 record. Compared to Coach Mills who was 43-21 and Coach Faldyn 38-32 in their first 6 years ,Mitchell didn't seemed to do that bad. But what happened is the question. Many here talk about talent, coaching decisions, community involvement or lack of and being only interested in the football program. Was he given enough time to make it to a state championship game? Look at District 25 this season Bellville in the semi's and EL Campo in the finals find me a tougher district in the state. Did he make some bonehead calls, you bet he did. Did his loyalty to his coaching staff cause problems, thats obvious. Did he have players who advanced to the next level. Yes he did. How many are still playing today? Like a former player told me last season the "coach does'nt pass ,block, tackle, run, throw or catch.

Today football is year round. Does it really ever end? Off-season workouts leads to 2 a days. Scrimmages lead to an 11 week regular season. Throw in playoff games followed by spring workouts. How about a special class during the day for the players to learn the system. Point is the head coach has his hands full just in football. Look at the other sports. When basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball ends, and its all about next season. Do people call for those coaches jobs? Many student-athletes play club ball to keep up and sharpen their game. Mitchell has been accused of not caring about the other team sports. Does his title as Athletic Director mean he attends every available game played. Is he expected to know every aspect of those teams play book or does he rely on the coaches to keep him informed. Can you imagine the uproar if he chose to micro manage those teams. The SISD needs to look at getting an Athletic Director. Someone who can seperate themselves from any one sport and support all the others. I may be mistaken but there are 8 sports teams, many of those include both a girls and boys teams. That individual would be responsible for scheduling, scholarships, hand shaking and picture taking you know, all those things that appear to make parents upset.

Leave no doubt football in Texas is King. It will always be, even if you have other teams who have good seasons and advance to the playoffs, football still ends up being the topic around the table. Speaking of other teams how many have advanced to post season activity under Mitchells reign as AD. You can argue he did'nt have anything to do with their success, I beg to differ. At the end of the day it all happened on his watch and like it or not the athletic program st SHS has been pretty success across the board the last 6 years. Mitchell has been accused of not being involved within the community. Ask any former coach how big his inner circle of friends was. Go out and socialize and your blasted. Stay home and you're talked about for not caring. Is there a happy medium ? Now the SISD will spend thousands of dollars interviewing possible coaches to fill Mitchells spot. What demands and expectations will be placed on a new coach. Sadly what caliber of coach will want to come to Sealy knowing if you suceed your subject to dismissal. Wherever Mitchell goes will be better then here with all his critics.

Hopefully the SISD and the selection commitee will look back at the three most successful coaches in Tiger history and find someone who has the ability to build a football program and not worry about keeping his job while overseeing a entire athletic program. Athletics have become too big a program to be run by one person and expect positive results. Good Luck Coach Mitchell it was a fun ride.

rancher
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Sounds like a response from the love fest with Jimmy known as the Sealy Tiger Internet Radio, the same ones who forced TJ off when he critizied Jimmy.

speedbump
05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a response from the love fest with Jimmy known as the Sealy Tiger Internet Radio, the same ones who forced TJ off when he critizied Jimmy.

A radio guy gets run by the Sealy folks for criticizing the coach, then the coach gets run by another bunch of Sealy folks. Sounds like ya'll got a real carnival goin on over there.What a great place to coach. I'll bet they'er lining up already and fighting for such a great opportunity to have a bunch of hot dog and nacho munching fans run their team for them.

speedbump
05-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Well all I can see from an uneducated outsiders point of view is multiple D1 athletes.

But I know if I was a Sealy fan, i'd expect better performances with players like Davis/RSJ...

Yea, those two guys were pretty good. Of course both spent considerable time out with injuries and when they did play, I did the blocking for them. LOL

Matthew328
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Rusty Nails? Is he any kin to Squeaky Hinge from Muleshoe?

Rusty Nail is literally the best name for a coach in the state

Manso/V8
05-06-2013, 07:25 PM
That was a nice, clean hit...dang it!

That play made me feel like it was our turn.
The ball seemed to bounce our way in that game.

Manso/V8
05-06-2013, 07:28 PM
A radio guy gets run by the Sealy folks for criticizing the coach, then the coach gets run by another bunch of Sealy folks. Sounds like ya'll got a real carnival goin on over there.What a great place to coach. I'll bet they'er lining up already and fighting for such a great opportunity to have a bunch of hot dog and nacho munching fans run their team for them.

Highway culture.

Tejastrue
05-06-2013, 07:57 PM

I thought Rancher was just messin with people. It is an awesome football coach's name and after reading up on him a bit he is obviously a very good one.

Additup
05-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Better than Lucky Gamble?

Additup
05-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I bet our old coach is kicking himself in the butt about now, Sealy would have been a much better job then Columbus. Timing is everything.
He got a pretty big W over Sealy at LG didn't he?

speedbump
05-06-2013, 08:42 PM

His mother was of Scottish decent and her maiden name was Drambuie.

957tiger
05-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Wow that Rancher guy must be a pretty smart fellow. Maybe he sat in with TJ and Mitchell in all those meetings. Didn't know TJ was "forced" off the program. According to the final broadcast of the season I believe TJ stated he couldn't remain objective as a former coach and it wasn't fair to the kids or coaches. I believe it came as a total shock to the STSN crew. But like I said that Rancher must be a pretty smart fellow. And I believe they have a love fest with all the coaches, along with the student-athletes as well the thousands of loyal listeners. I'll make sure the STSN now knows that Rancher knows what really happened with TJ Mills

pirate4state
05-06-2013, 11:26 PM
957tiger glad Mitchell had you as a fan.

MustangFootball
05-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Wow!!! Jimmy Mitchell to Beeville , that's gonna be interesting as Ingleside has had them on their schedule the last 3 years. It will be interesting to see them running a new system. I think Mitchell will turn that program around and they will be a player in the district 30-4a race. Maybe a strong 3rd place team behind Calallen and Port Lavaca It will be tough to win that district, You never know.

Old Tiger
05-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I bet it has to do with Ricky Seals-Jones dad. Dude seems sketchy

sTxforlife
05-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Probly has absolutely nothing with him, more to do with the townspeople being sick and tired of Mitchell. That andd his consistent disappointment in the playoffs.

Old Tiger
05-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Probly has absolutely nothing with him, more to do with the townspeople being sick and tired of Mitchell. That andd his consistent disappointment in the playoffs.

Maybe cause they just get beat by better teams...

Weebe
05-07-2013, 12:25 AM

He is certainly sketchy.

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 06:09 AM
He got a pretty big W over Sealy at LG didn't he?

Yes, their only loss in their 4 or 5 year run. Tye Gunn and that team was pretty loaded.

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Wow!!! Jimmy Mitchell to Beeville , that's gonna be interesting as Ingleside has had them on their schedule the last 3 years. It will be interesting to see them running a new system. I think Mitchell will turn that program around and they will be a player in the district 30-4a race. Maybe a strong 3rd place team behind Calallen and Port Lavaca It will be tough to win that district, You never know.

I have said it before that I am not a football guy and I am not knocking Coach Mitchell but his play calling on offense will make you scratch your head a few times, maybe he is not calling the plays however with the athlete's in his backfield on short yardage why not just pound the rock instead of going for the long ball. Seen it many times against us and this is just one example, it is almost like overcoaching if that is possible.

tigerball4life
05-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes, their only loss in their 4 or 5 year run. Tye Gunn and that team was pretty loaded.

Tye Gunn? As a player during that run I can assure you that loss had nothing to do with Tye Gunn, the QB that game killed us with his reads and speed that year was Brewer and the RB Dobbins, we were worried about Dobbins breaking the big run we left Brewer 1 on 1 with a bandit.

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Tye Gunn? As a player during that run I can assure you that loss had nothing to do with Tye Gunn, the QB that game killed us with his reads and speed that year was Brewer and the RB Dobbins, we were worried about Dobbins breaking the big run we left Brewer 1 on 1 with a bandit.

Brewer was the WR, Tye moved to QB and threw two long passes to Brewer in that game. Brewer only played QB for maybe two games his Senior year, Tye was sneaky fast even as a Freshman. Tye's move to QB is what made that team, teams could no longer key on Dobbins. Wait till you see Dobbins son at RB this next year as a freshman, he could very well be better then his dad.

Manso/V8
05-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Brewer was the WR, Tye moved to QB and threw two long passes to Brewer in that game. Brewer only played QB for maybe two games his Senior year, Tye was sneaky fast even as a Freshman. Tye's move to QB is what made that team, teams could no longer key on Dobbins. Wait till you see Dobbins son at RB this next year as a freshman, he could very well be better then his dad.

What year/s did these guys play?
Was it during the time LG took the SC?

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
What year/s did these guys play?
Was it during the time LG took the SC?

Tye Gunn was QB after the first or second game in 1997 and then started every game till we won it all in 2000 , you can check out the You Tube video of Sealy - La Grange game in the Astrodome and Tye was our QB. Brewer moved to WR when Tye stepped in at QB , he did a great job at WR.

tigerball4life
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Tye Gunn was QB after the first or second game in 1997 and then started every game till we won it all in 2000 , you can check out the You Tube video of Sealy - La Grange game in the Astrodome and Tye was our QB. Brewer moved to WR when Tye stepped in at QB , he did a great job at WR.

Yes, but the initial topic of discussion was the 1 loss the Tigers had during our 4 year run. 63-1, that loss came in 1996 season.

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes, but the initial topic of discussion was the 1 loss the Tigers had during our 4 year run. 63-1, that loss came in 1996 season.

Yes , you are correct. My bad, was thinking the next year.l

SintonFan_inAustin
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I have said it before that I am not a football guy and I am not knocking Coach Mitchell but his play calling on offense will make you scratch your head a few times, maybe he is not calling the plays however with the athlete's in his backfield on short yardage why not just pound the rock instead of going for the long ball. Seen it many times against us and this is just one example, it is almost like overcoaching if that is possible.He did the play calling for Sinton team that made it to the state championship game and had the players to run it.

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
He did the play calling for Sinton team that made it to the state championship game and had the players to run it.

Well big difference in football as for as Region 3 and Region 4 , just saying.

sTxforlife
05-07-2013, 12:15 PM
He did the play calling for Sinton team that made it to the state championship game and had the players to run it.

So you think he didn't have the players to run his offense in Sealy?

hookandladder
05-07-2013, 12:40 PM

That be funny right there.

MustangFootball
05-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Well big difference in football as for as Region 3 and Region 4 , just saying.

Sinton and Mitchell still had to go through region 3 to make it to the state championship game.

#JS

speedbump
05-07-2013, 03:21 PM

What kind of talent was there before Mitchell arrived? They won 5,4 and 2 games the 3 preceding years. Mitchell turned that into 7,7,11,8,9 and 6 this season, a season riddled with injuries. After the great run in the 90s I get the feeling Sealy folks tend to overrate their talent.

sinfan75
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
He did the play calling for Sinton team that made it to the state championship game and had the players to run it.Mitchell was DC that year. Chris Jones was OC!! Even when Mitchell became HC the following year Chris Jones was OC! Mitchell never called offensive plays while at Sinton. He always had an OC and he called the defensive plays.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Well big difference in football as for as Region 3 and Region 4 , just saying.Yea there was, Region IV Sinton 38 Region III Bridge City 0. Yep big difference lol! Sinton that year had a div 1 qb, Adrian Alaniz was being recruited in football but went baseball with UT. They had a stable of running backs with speed think two got recruited in div 1. they had lineman also play the next level but like SinFan75 pointed it out Mitchell was DC and Chris Jones the OC and he kept Jones as the OC the next season when he became HC. So maybe he didn't know offense but defense lol. Oh well I think he'll be better off in Beeville and help that program return to the playoffs.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Mitchell was DC that year. Chris Jones was OC!! Even when Mitchell became HC the following year Chris Jones was OC! Mitchell never called offensive plays while at Sinton. He always had an OC and he called the defensive plays.

gracias SinFan75 had Mitchell peg as a OC but yep ur right CJ was the OC. Very good staff on that 2001 team.

sTxforlife
05-07-2013, 06:30 PM
What kind of talent was there before Mitchell arrived? They won 5,4 and 2 games the 3 preceding years. Mitchell turned that into 7,7,11,8,9 and 6 this season, a season riddled with injuries. After the great run in the 90s I get the feeling Sealy folks tend to overrate their talent.

There was plenty of talent when Faldyn was the coach after TJ left, they just weren't kids that were fit for the spread offense that Mark's brother Matt wanted to run, Mitchell had great athletes that were perfect for the spread. Sealy always has talent, it's always just a question of if the coach knows how to use it or not.

maestro
05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Sealy had the injuries
Most of their studs were walking wounded

Sadly hs football has the trickle down effect that has engulfed college and the pros

Get rid of coaches way too quickly

I grew up during the age of the LA Dodgers Walter Alston and tommy lasorda

Dodgers did not always win the series, but the plan was solid, consistent, etc.

I just see too many administrators/fans making their athletic departments a revolving door.

Many fans on here speak highly of coach cerny's baseball at Bellville

It's called consistent longevity

Wharton may have had arguments with coach ciruti through those 30 plus years.....but now look how they suffer.

But changing coaches too often can hurt the kids

End of my soapbox

Old Tiger
05-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Sealy had the injuries
Most of their studs were walking wounded

Sadly hs football has the trickle down effect that has engulfed college and the pros

Get rid of coaches way too quickly

I grew up during the age of the LA Dodgers Walter Alston and tommy lasorda

Dodgers did not always win the series, but the plan was solid, consistent, etc.

I just see too many administrators/fans making their athletic departments a revolving door.

Many fans on here speak highly of coach cerny's baseball at Bellville

It's called consistent longevity

Wharton may have had arguments with coach ciruti through those 30 plus years.....but now look how they suffer.

But changing coaches too often can hurt the kids

End of my soapbox

I get what you are saying but seems like that turns into complacency very easily.

hookandladder
05-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Sinton and Mitchell still had to go through region 3 to make it to the state championship game.

#JS

That's one year out of how many, Region 4 is nowhere near Region 3 in football. Plain and simple, ask many teams including us which Region would we rather be in for football. The talent in Region 3 is head and shoulders above Region 4 , year in and year out. This is nothing new for most people.

Johnny Utah
05-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Capt. Obvious!! NICE!! Sealy will do well and if it is true JM is going elsewhere....they just landed a heck of a coach. Lots of great teams in all regions across the state by the way. The teams that benefit the most from going from region 3 to 4 or back again are those along I-10 and around Austin. Winning a State Title is a matter of timing in many cases. No crystal ball.

sinfan75
05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
That's one year out of how many, Region 4 is nowhere near Region 3 in football. Plain and simple, ask many teams including us which Region would we rather be in for football. The talent in Region 3 is head and shoulders above Region 4 , year in and year out. This is nothing new for most people. Off the top of my head Sinton, Bandera, Cuero Burnet a couple times, Liberty Hill, Wimberley and maybe another team I can't think of. So lets see that's 7 or 8 years of the past 12 seasons that a team from Region 4 has made it to the championship game. That's not too bad.

Manso/V8
05-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Capt. Obvious!! NICE!! Sealy will do well and if it is true JM is going elsewhere....they just landed a heck of a coach. Lots of great teams in all regions across the state by the way. The teams that benefit the most from going from region 3 to 4 or back again are those along I-10 and around Austin. Winning a State Title is a matter of timing in many cases. No crystal ball.

Why do you think the I-10 and Austin area teams benefit the most from switching regions?

pirate4state
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
There was plenty of talent when Faldyn was the coach after TJ left, they just weren't kids that were fit for the spread offense that Mark's brother Matt wanted to run, Mitchell had great athletes that were perfect for the spread. Sealy always has talent, it's always just a question of if the coach knows how to use it or not.

or whether or not these talented individuals are smart enough to consistently know where to line up or what play is called and then execute it.

MustangFootball
05-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Off the top of my head Sinton, Bandera, Cuero Burnet a couple times, Liberty Hill, Wimberley and maybe another team I can't think of. So lets see that's 7 or 8 years of the past 12 seasons that a team from Region 4 has made it to the championship game. That's not too bad.

Can't forget El Campo this past season representing region 4 in the state championship.

Old Tiger
05-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Can't forget El Campo this past season representing region 4 and getting slaughtered in the state championship.
fify

sTxforlife
05-09-2013, 01:56 AM
or whether or not these talented individuals are smart enough to consistently know where to line up or what play is called and then execute it.
It actually had nothing to do with that, if you would have ever watched any of those teams you would know that the kids just weren't fit to run the spread. Bottom line is to be successful running the spread like Jimmie does you have to have the athletes first! They could run it from 7th grade on but if they don't have the athletic capabilities and attributes required to run that offense it won't be successful.

Old Tiger
05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
It actually had nothing to do with that, if you would have ever watched any of those teams you would know that the kids just weren't fit to run the spread. Bottom line is to be successful running the spread like Jimmie does you have to have the athletes first! They could run it from 7th grade on but if they don't have the athletic capabilities and attributes required to run that offense it won't be successful.

Not all the way true....you can be effective in the spread with combination routes and such creating separation that way. Build your running lanes with fundamental blocking and etc. While athletes do help you in the spread it's not all that goes into it.

tigerball4life
05-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Off the top of my head Sinton, Bandera, Cuero Burnet a couple times, Liberty Hill, Wimberley and maybe another team I can't think of. So lets see that's 7 or 8 years of the past 12 seasons that a team from Region 4 has made it to the championship game. That's not too bad.

Let us not forget that the best football team of the 1990’s represented both region 3 and region 4 in the big game

tigerball4life
05-09-2013, 07:40 AM

Coach Faldyn had talent his 1rst 3 years and made the playoffs, but then there was a significant drop in talent after that and many felt that was the reason Mills left. From what I am told the seniors and juniors on Faldyn’s last 2 teams were 2nd and 3rd teamers at best. Faldyn brought in his Brother who had success in the 5A level to find a way to utilize what he had, Little Faldyn agreed that there wasn’t much hope for these 2 or 3 classes so they decide to look to the future and put in an offense for the kids on the freshman team and in the Jr. High. The Faldyns even held the very talented class of 2009 back on the freshman team so they could play together which turned out to be his last season because Sealy they went 2-8, as freshman many of those kids were better than the juniors and senior that year and as sophomores they all started in front of the seniors and juniors in Mitchell’s 1rst year.

957tiger
05-09-2013, 08:19 AM
This thread has turned out to be a pretty good read. Voices from all over this part of the state have added their observations pertaining to the situation in Sealy. Seems like most agree, you model your offense on what "appeared" to have worked on the big board. Getting it to transfer to the field is another story. Not a knock on the boys but a reality. Big bodies on the lines open the inside game. Also gives the QB time to find his receiver who must run the route, get separation and catch the ball. At least 7-8 things have to go right every play to gain yardage, let alone score. Most posters appear knowledgable on the game and in particular Sealy Tiger Football. Its always easy to sit back and say what should have happened, the reality is its a lot harder to make it happen every single time. Few teams have had the success Sealy had in the 90's. To see it again will be very difficult.

JUST A FAN
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
we are hearing up here in LT that this is a done deal, is Mitchell gone? Who are they looking at to replace, are there any in house candidates?

The one thing that I observed when I saw Sealy play Bellville was the confusion on offensive play calling, I talked to some Sealy fans and they confirmed that the play calling was suspect at best sighting that the Tigers are a spread offense and a quick strike attack but had more delay of game penalties in most games than most teams get all year. I asked how that could be and was told the offensive coaches don't agree from booth to field and having to signal plays in took way too much time. if that is true how can anybody blame the kids if the coaches have them scrambling at the line, sounds like Mitchell had the wrong coaches calling or too many coaches on the head sets making decisions.
We will try to keep up with the hiring process andwill be leaning on the Sealy fans to keep 3ADOWNLOW updated.

sTxforlife
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
we are hearing up here in LT that this is a done deal, is Mitchell gone? Who are they looking at to replace, are there any in house candidates?

The one thing that I observed when I saw Sealy play Bellville was the confusion on offensive play calling, I talked to some Sealy fans and they confirmed that the play calling was suspect at best sighting that the Tigers are a spread offense and a quick strike attack but had more delay of game penalties in most games than most teams get all year. I asked how that could be and was told the offensive coaches don't agree from booth to field and having to signal plays in took way too much time. if that is true how can anybody blame the kids if the coaches have them scrambling at the line, sounds like Mitchell had the wrong coaches calling or too many coaches on the head sets making decisions.
We will try to keep up with the hiring process andwill be leaning on the Sealy fans to keep 3ADOWNLOW updated.
Right now Goad, who coached special teams, is the acting head coach. Viertel, who was in the booth and IMO should have been the offensive coordinator, is applying for the job as well. But I've heard that the job hasn't even been posted anywhere yet so no one can actually apply for the job yet.

speedbump
05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
sounds like Mitchell had the wrong coaches calling or too many coaches on the head sets making decisions.

Three of his assistants are going to Beeville with him. My guess is he had to many fans trying to call plays.

JUST A FAN
05-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Three of his assistants are going to Beeville with him. My guess is he had to many fans trying to call plays.

Any idea which assistants will be going with him.
Too many fans trying to call plays? surely you don't mean there are fans on the head sets during the game! other wise the delays are all on the coaches at the time the players need a play called, from what I saw it was line up the coaches see what how the defense lines up, then the players look back at the coaches to see it there is a change, this can be done in a timely manner IF the coaches are on thier game and have done their work.

sTxforlife
05-10-2013, 03:26 PM
He's only taking Coach Howard and his brother right now because that's all they're letting him bring for now, they may let him bring more in later. And the fans trying to call plays is far from the truth.

speedbump
05-10-2013, 04:06 PM
He's only taking Coach Howard and his brother right now because that's all they're letting him bring for now, they may let him bring more in later. And the fans trying to call plays is far from the truth.

The Victoria Advocate said three are going with him. I didn't mean calling the plays, literally. LOL Jesus. Obviously there are many who think they know more about the game than he did. Is it true a group would congregate after the games and heckle Mitchell?

sTxforlife
05-10-2013, 04:15 PM
The Victoria Advocate said three are going with him. I didn't mean calling the plays, literally. LOL Jesus. Obviously there are many who think they know more about the game than he did. Is it true a group would congregate after the games and heckle Mitchell?
Oh, I was told by kids who had talked to the coaches that stayed that he took 2 with him. And no that never happened, of course there were people that were displeased and would let him know but he was never "heckled" after the games.

rancher
05-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Hearing they are wanting to hire from within.

sTxforlife
05-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Hearing they are wanting to hire from within.

This late in the game that might be the best option.

tigerball4life
05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
yes I heard there are some on the staff that have been a HC/AD already. Any idea who was on the finalist list when Mithchell was hired, maybe they would be interested? Any former Sealy Tiger players or coaches ready to take on the head job?
Maybe Huey would like to come back to the area. Valastro may have jumped to quick at the first job to come up.

Manso/V8
05-11-2013, 01:37 PM
If Huey coached at Sealy, the rivalry would take on even more meaning.
He would probably still want to life north of Mill Creek though.

Weebe
05-11-2013, 01:43 PM
If Huey coached at Sealy, the rivalry would take on even more meaning.
He would probably still want to life north of Mill Creek though.

Huey is happy where he is.

Manso/V8
05-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Huey is happy where he is.

I'm sure he is, and too wise to step in to a hot bed of turncoat critics.

rancher
05-12-2013, 05:28 AM
No way for Huey, considered toxic by those in Sealy. The hire will come from within, but very possible from outside depending on applicants. I am hearing a lot of interest from 5a and 4a assistants with prior head coach exp. I am also hearing interest in some strong local 2a head coaches. I hope that Rusty Nails is all over this one, he would turn the ship around and make a deep run into playoffs.

catfish
05-13-2013, 07:37 AM
About coaches and talent....Some things that most don't realize...In Weldon Nelm's 12 years in Wimberley,from 2000-2012,he had only 2 athletes sign scholarship offers from d1 schools.I am sure I don't have to tell people that in this time period he and his staff won 2 state championships, and made many deep runs into the playoffs...The last state championship,Argyle had at least 4 players on that team alone that signed d1 scholarship offers...So,even though most people think that Wimberley won with superior talent,it was more Nelms and staffs ability to get the most out of their athletes,and get them to play at a higher level....Coaches can win big in 3a without d1 talent,but it takes a special coach and staff....I am sure Doug Warren and his staff will continue the legacy.

Manso/V8
05-13-2013, 09:24 AM
About coaches and talent....Some things that most don't realize...In Weldon Nelm's 12 years in Wimberley,from 2000-2012,he had only 2 athletes sign scholarship offers from d1 schools.I am sure I don't have to tell people that in this time period he and his staff won 2 state championships, and made many deep runs into the playoffs...The last state championship,Argyle had at least 4 players on that team alone that signed d1 scholarship offers...So,even though most people think that Wimberley won with superior talent,it was more Nelms and staffs ability to get the most out of their athletes,and get them to play at a higher level....Coaches can win big in 3a without d1 talent,but it takes a special coach and staff....I am sure Doug Warren and his staff will continue the legacy.

One of the many great things about Texas HS football. Sure, super talent helps, but the team aspect is what usually wins championships. Many
3A All-State players don't have to have the d1 measureables, but are very good and effective high school players. I'm not sure, but I don't think Navasota's team had any seniors go d-1a this year.

Gone Fishing
05-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Very well said Catfish. I have said similar things several times. Nelms and his coaches were a special group the last 12 years and had very few changes in staff if any year to year. He has a program that starts at Jr high and before (supported our youth league big time) I'll miss him, Warren is a good man and hope he continues most of the Nelm's ideas of how to have a winning program year in and out. Some great coaches went with Nelm's but still a bunch of good ones here. It will be fun to watch this coming year.

StangEm
05-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I wonder what Teetle has to say about all of this. I'm sure the Sealy East Side has theys owns pick in minds about whos theys bees wantins to gets the job.

teetle
05-16-2013, 08:14 AM
I hopes thats Dumont comeses outs of retirements. He bes the ones thats led de Rices to beats our beehines. I thinks thats he mights bes the ones.:dispntd::evillol::o

Manso/V8
05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Any news on where they are in the HC selection process?

rancher
05-17-2013, 06:59 AM
I am hearing that it is going to open and close fast. They are wanting to hire from within because it is so late in the season. My understanding that a hire from within will mean a very short lease and timeframe to make it happen.

tigerball4life
05-17-2013, 07:43 AM
I am hearing that it is going to open and close fast. They are wanting to hire from within because it is so late in the season. My understanding that a hire from within will mean a very short lease and timeframe to make it happen.

Well if rancher says he is hearing it will be an inside hire you can bank on it being somebody from the outside. I hear it will be open nation wide and they are are open to any and all interested.

Scoop27
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
East Bernard's Jerry Long would be a good choice but his son's are still playing football. His older son Trevor ran a leg on the 1,600-meter relay team that wont state. His younger son plays at the 8th grade. Both are great athletes but still not the caliber of Slanina.

rancher
05-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Posting for AD/Head Coach went up on 5/15/13, they will have their man in place by the end of the month. Not much time, you tell me that an insider will not get the job.

sTxforlife
05-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Posting for AD/Head Coach went up on 5/15/13, they will have their man in place by the end of the month. Not much time, you tell me that an insider will not get the job.
Insider will not get the job, word on the street is they want Cerny from Shiner.

rancher
05-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Word from the Brewery workers will not happen. Cerny has too much coming back from a 12-2 team, he is still upset at being snubed the last go round and he just built a new home in Shiner,

bluecat
05-19-2013, 07:51 AM
East Bernard's Jerry Long would be a good choice but his son's are still playing football. His older son Trevor ran a leg on the 1,600-meter relay team that wont state. His younger son plays at the 8th grade. Both are great athletes but still not the caliber of Slanina.

Im sure Jerry Long would appreciate being considered for the HC/AD at Sealy but Jerry has way to many reasons to stay at East Bernard.
He"s got plenty of talent coming back to make a good run next year, even though Ty is moving on to the collegiate ranks. East Bernard has some strong ties to Gregory Portland and George Harris. Jerry was the offensive Coordinator for George Harris at GP and the Girls athletic Coordinator is Karri Slania, (Harris) is Georges daughter.
Jerry is happy just where he"s at and I dont see him wanting to move away from the very comfortable situation that he now enjoys at East Bernard.

Yoe_09
05-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Lexington HC/AD Jason Holcomb.

Buff42
05-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Lexington HC/AD Jason Holcomb.

True story. Big loss for the Eagles- Tigers get a class act.

OldBison75
05-27-2013, 10:18 PM
If this is true, Sealy will be back on top very quickly. Outstanding coach that knows how to use his talent. Well liked coach by kids, parents, and fellow educators. Great choice.

Buff42
05-27-2013, 10:24 PM
If this is true, Sealy will be back on top very quickly. Outstanding coach that knows how to use his talent. Well liked coach by kids, parents, and fellow educators. Great choice.

I agree. The new, touchy-freely Buffs may be in trouble. Assuming we make it to the playoffs in the first place.

SHSBulldog00
05-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Sealy Football hired 2A Lexington's head coach Jason Holcomb to replace Jimmie Mitchell.

http://www.sealynews.com/news/article_790453aa-c7fb-11e2-a44e-0019bb2963f4.html

Good Luck to Coach Holcomb and the Sealy Tigers

Buff42
05-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Best wishes Coach Holcomb.

Old Tiger
05-28-2013, 11:21 PM
hopefully their fans don't go stupid and expect immediate results.

Weebe
05-29-2013, 12:01 AM

Too late. Somebody on this thread had already assumed a late run in the playoffs before Holcomb was even hired.

Manso/V8
05-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Sealy doesn't have the talent or the right kind of fan support anymore for a run.
Things have changed in that town.

OldBison75
05-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Give Holcomb two years. This year will be an adjustment period, but they will surprise some people. Next year they will be back and contend for a district championship.

tigerball4life
05-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Sealy doesn't have the talent or the right kind of fan support anymore for a run.
Things have changed in that town.

Sealy had and still has good talent, the change in Sealy's attitude was about 6 years ago!

957tiger
05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Sealy does have plenty of talent. And Coach Holcomb will do his best to continue a fine tradition of Tigerball in Sealy. But the reality and truth is Sealy has changed. The demographics within the area has also changed. The City council is working hard to make the area more attractive for investors and residents. When BAE left (thanks Obama) it also took an income stream out of the community. While many of the workers lived outside the area their money was often spent in the community. We are a freeway community. People have heard about Sealy, mostly about a mattress and the football team. People tend to follow I-10 from Houston to San Antonio with stops along the way. Look at some of the older towns with deep roots that are about the size of Sealy. They continue to thrive while maintaining a strong sense of community. It also extends to the school system as well. More kids gives you a better chance to get the size and speed you need to compete. Many of the post talk about that fact. And like I've said it "takes a wide range" of things to go your way to win even one football game, let alone a championship.

rancher
05-29-2013, 12:14 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the hire. Everyone that I know but in Lexington and in Sealy says Coach Holcombe is nothing but a class act. With four teams making the playoffs, Sealy will be there on the large school size. With a little luck, they will make it several rounds in a weak region.

maestro
05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Sealy had and still has good talent, the change in Sealy's attitude was about 6 years ago!

Sealy's sub varsity and jh programs were talented.

Sealy kids play tough and with passion and pride.

Qualities that coaches appreciate

sTxforlife
05-29-2013, 06:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with expecting success, that's what happens when your program has success, some people just don't get that.

Old Tiger
05-29-2013, 11:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with expecting success, that's what happens when your program has success, some people just don't get that.

You're program hasn't had true success since the 90s.

From what I see there in Sealy it's a 2-4 year project to turn it around.

You should first worry about

1) Winning District - 1st couple of years
2) Making deep runs - 2-3 years(including the second year mentioned with the district)
3) making it to state(3-5 years)
4) winning state(3-6 years)

Old Tiger
05-29-2013, 11:43 PM
The offensive coordinator/baseball coach that Holcomb is bringing with him is a hell of a guy. I know him and his wife very well.

zebrablue2
05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
I have worked several games in Lexington. Sealy hired a winner!!!

Gone Fishing
05-30-2013, 09:24 PM

2) Making deep runs - 2-3 years(including the second year mentioned with the district)

No offense Tiger, but isn't that about the norm for every 3A school...? Talent comes and goes at this level and it is a up and down regardless of the coach. ... Even Nelms missed the playoffs in 08.. It just happens when there is a bunch of delberts making up your team.

sTxforlife
05-30-2013, 11:10 PM

People don't seem to realize that there is talent in Sealy. Especially with they type of offense Holcomb likes to run we will have success. We have big linemen and a stud rb, and as long as our defense can forget everything the previous regime taught them and actually play in the offensive backfield we will be fine and surprise alot of people.

Old Tiger
05-30-2013, 11:15 PM
People don't seem to realize that there is talent in Sealy. Especially with they type of offense Holcomb likes to run we will have success. We have big linemen and a stud rb, and as long as our defense can forget everything the previous regime taught them and actually play in the offensive backfield we will be fine and surprise alot of people.

They may have the talent but they don't have the between the ears to be successful. That takes a couple of years.