04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
And if drinking don't kill me
Her memory will
I can't hold out much longer
The way that I feel
With the blood from my body
I could start my own still
And if drinking don't kill me
Her memory will -------------------------- George Jones - If Drinking Don't Kill Me, (Her Memory Will)

hollywood
04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
I love this line...

"If we all could sound like we wanted to, we'd all sound like George Jones," Waylon Jennings once sang.

BwdLion73
04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
"I pulled off the head of Elvis...filled Fred up to his pelvis....yaba daba do the King is gone and so am I"

Scoop27
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah now I should of left the day I knew your love was dying
But I passed up every date that I ever set
But I know I'll leave when my heart tells me it's ready
I'll leave someday, but I'm not ready yet

defense51
04-26-2013, 07:02 PM
He Stopped Loving Her Today was my favorite George Jones song. I always thought Jimmy Johnson tried to emulate George's hair style.

bobcat1
04-26-2013, 07:32 PM
He Stopped Loving Her Today was my favorite George Jones song. . I guess today he stopped loving Tammy. He was my all time favorite. No Show Jones!

Scoop27
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Well the "G" men, "T" men, revenuers, too
Searchin' for the place where he made his brew
They were looking, tryin to book him,
but my pappy kept a-cookin'
Whshhhoooh . . . white lightnin'.

Scoop27
04-26-2013, 09:09 PM
This song was the one sung for my wife and mine's wedding dance after the grand march back in 1998. This was my favorite song of his which went No. 1 in 1967. We went to hear him at the Fort Bend County Fair in Rosenberg about 7 years ago

Walk through this world with me,
Go where I go
Share all my dreams with me,
I searched for you so

And now that I've found you,
New horizons I see
Come take my hand,
And walk through this world with me

Come take my hand,
And walk through this world with me..

Tejastrue
04-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Call it eery or irony but I think this video is fitting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3GgoLtlWk

Scoop27
04-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Great video of his
Check out this one at my YouTube Page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMS5vMx4zM&list=UU8acPSt9cS7Ag-afVV77PqQ&index=7

regaleagle
04-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I was 9 yrs old back in 1963, and that's when George Jones and Tammye Wynette were performing together at the San Antonio Livestock Show together. I was in the calf scramble for the Goliad 4-H. They lined us all up as George and Tammye were on before us. George and Tammye shook the hand of every single one of us. I did get my calf and pull it across the line, btw. It was a "big time" for a little boy from Goliad. My county extension agent chaparone was really impressed....20 contestants, 10 winners. I was #6 across the line with a big angus. He outweighed me by at least 200 lbs. and I had to tackle that sucker, halter him, and drag him about 50 yds. Heck, I won $$$ and shook the hand of George Jones and Tammye Wynette. Life is good.:cool:

Tejastrue
04-26-2013, 11:11 PM
awesome story regal...

Manso/V8
04-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I was 9 yrs old back in 1963, and that's when George Jones and Tammye Wynette were performing together at the San Antonio Livestock Show together. I was in the calf scramble for the Goliad 4-H. They lined us all up as George and Tammye were on before us. George and Tammye shook the hand of every single one of us. I did get my calf and pull it across the line, btw. It was a "big time" for a little boy from Goliad. My county extension agent chaparone was really impressed....20 contestants, 10 winners. I was #6 across the line with a big angus. He outweighed me by at least 200 lbs. and I had to tackle that sucker, halter him, and drag him about 50 yds. Heck, I won $$$ and shook the hand of George Jones and Tammye Wynette. Life is good.:cool:

Great story, thanks for sharing. Did the sight of Tammye make your heart skip a beat? Also, you sure you got the year right? Tammye didn't come on the scene until later in the "60's.

Scoop27
04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
What a thrill and great memory for you by meeting two of country music's bests

Vrabird
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
One of the Greats in Country Music!! Had the chance to see him a couple of times in concert, and was happy that "No Show Jones" showed up!! He was definitely a Classic!! That voice will be missed by all of Country music fans everywhere!! R.I.P. Possum!!

defense51
04-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Just a litte info on George Jones, he served in The United States Marine Corps from 1950-1953. Semper Fi George Jones and RIP.

regaleagle
04-27-2013, 08:23 PM
:wave:I'm pretty sure I was 9 yrs old at the time, and Yes it was Tammye Wynette and George Jones playing that gig together. The stands were absolutely packed. At that time, I believe Tammye was a "new" name in the business....but I was just a whippersnapper at the time and didn't really pay that much attention to that sort of thing. All I wanted to do is git one of those calfs so I could go back home a winner. And that's exactly what I did!!! Golly Shucks. I even had my picture and a story on the front page of the Goliad Advance-Guard. I was "somebody".....like being in the phone book, lol.

Scoop27
04-28-2013, 05:47 AM
I was at Gilley's back in 1982 on New Years Eve for a live broadcast on TNN with George Jones and Sylvia/
Everyone was waiting for them to walk in a side door. By The way Tom Wompat, John Schneider were the co host.
I was standing with my then girl friend t here at the small door at the back with only a few people.
This was around 11 p.m. Here come George coming in by himself with no security or with his band.
Being bold as I am with a few drinks in me, I walked up to hi and said Hello Possum and he smiled and shaked my hand graciously and said thanks for coming.
He was actually pretty sober that night and put on a super show

Scoop27
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/jones-died-radio-served-country-article-1.1330367

speedbump
04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
:wave:I'm pretty sure I was 9 yrs old at the time, and Yes it was Tammye Wynette and George Jones playing that gig together. The stands were absolutely packed. At that time, I believe Tammye was a "new" name in the business....but I was just a whippersnapper at the time and didn't really pay that much attention to that sort of thing. All I wanted to do is git one of those calfs so I could go back home a winner. And that's exactly what I did!!! Golly Shucks. I even had my picture and a story on the front page of the Goliad Advance-Guard. I was "somebody".....like being in the phone book, lol.

Tammy was going to beauty collage in 1963 and didn't have her first record until 1966. George was partial to blondes back then. It must have been someone else or it was after 1967.

"Wynette's third child had spinal meningitis, which meant she had expensive medical bills to pay. In order to earn some extra money, she began performing in clubs at night. In 1965, she landed a regular spot on the television program The Country Boy Eddie Show, which led to appearances on Porter Wagoner's syndicated show. The following year, she moved to Nashville, where she auditioned for several labels before producer Billy Sherrill signed her to Epic Records."

Manso/V8
04-30-2013, 06:59 PM

When I was a senior in high school, I was at a racetrack with a buddy. I saw Linda Vaughn, the extremely well-endowed blonde known as the Hurst Shifter girl. She was coming out of building near the pits, I recognized her (duh!), went over to say hi, and we had a nice chat. She put her arm around me so my buddy could snap a photo. He brought his camera to shoot a roll of color slide film that he was supposed to develop for a photography class project. Well, he screwed up the developing process and my brush with celebrity photo never saw the light of day.......there is an image burned in to my memory though!

BwdLion73
04-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Hurst Shifter Girl....Now that brought back memorys.....Ahhh...Linda Vaughn...What is she now 70...75...?