PDA

View Full Version : Hey buckeyebob!

ronwx5x
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Are you aware there is a Buckeye, TX. You guys don't own the name after all!

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb61

waterboy
04-26-2013, 09:10 AM
As far as high school football in Texas we do! Ronnie, you need to make the trip up to Gilmer and watch a game just once. I'll save a seat for you.

buckeyebob
04-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Are you aware there is a Buckeye, TX. You guys don't own the name after all!

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb61

I had never heard of Buckeye, TX...named after the Buckeye State...mmmmm...we were named after the buckeye itself back in 1929 by some guys from Gladewater...we beat 'em 77-0...they had seen some Gilmerites with buckeyes in their pockets for luck...after the game they refered to "those damn buckeyes"...it kinda stuck with us

buckeyebob
04-26-2013, 07:05 PM
As far as high school football in Texas we do! Ronnie, you need to make the trip up to Gilmer and watch a game just once. I'll save a seat for you.

In the new stadium...awsome!

Aesculus gilmus
04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
I've always heard it was Henderson folks who first called us Buckeyes. And they reportedly got beat way worse than 77-0.

By JOE BLOUNT

H.P. McGaughy, John Barnwell and Danily Warren definitely had buckeyes in their pockets as they stood along the sidelines in Henderson and hollered for the celebrated Gilmer football team in the early 1920s. McGaughy and Barnwell were local bankers and Warren, self-admittedly, was a man of many “functionalabilities.”
Henderson fans were aggravated and indignant as they stormed toward the Gilmer rooters following the game’s end. Why shouldn’t they be bitter? Their local team had blown a 0-0 tie at kickoff time and allowed the visitors to score the next 103 points. Day labor was 10 cents an hour in that day and time and a lot of the ole boys had seen a 6-day work week vanish quicker than a hiccup.
What would be your first response when encountered by a highly inflamed rival, especially when nothing was being said about the game, bets, etc.?
Addressing McGaughy, the hottest of the hottest bellowed, “Why all you guys from Gilmer got your hands in your pockets and seem to be juggling something? Heh, heh, heh.
With a grin as wide as the wooden goalposts left standing on the field, the Gilmer financier withdrew a mightily-used buckeye from his pocket and said ...
“It’s a buckeye, friend. Everybody in Gilmer, as far as I know, carries a buckeye in his britches. Ole John here (Mr. Barnwell) has one in each pocket. He’s got a heap of arthritis and it keeps him down. Better’n aspirin. Show ’em, John.”
Mr. Barnwell displayed both of his buckeyes to the man who seemed to be simmering down a little by now. One of the buckeyes was light brown and the other had a slight jade color.
“Why’s one turning green?” His chin rose and mouth turned down as he awaited an answer.
John was thinking he was back in Gilmer behind his desk and in his swivel chair when he shot back, “When they start turning green, Bob, that means they’ve absorbed about all the arthritis they can hold.”
“Can I have one of those things? You say, it’s called a buckeye?”
Barnwell gave the man both of his buckeyes and explained he had some more growing in a back patch.
McGaughy and Warren said their buckeyes brought them luck. You gotta be lucky to give 75 points and win on a football game.
The Henderson fella that got the two buckeyes waved goodbye as carloads of fans headed back to Upshur County. Fighting the dust, he yelled, “See you next year, GILMER BUCKEYES.”
The name stuck! The orange and black clad Buckeyes ruled the roost all over East Texas for over a decade under the tutelage of Henry McClelland.

http://gilmerbuckeyes.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-gilmer-came-to-be-known-as.html

buckeyebob
04-29-2013, 09:13 PM
I've always heard it was Henderson folks who first called us Buckeyes. And they reportedly got beat way worse than 77-0.

By JOE BLOUNT

H.P. McGaughy, John Barnwell and Danily Warren definitely had buckeyes in their pockets as they stood along the sidelines in Henderson and hollered for the celebrated Gilmer football team in the early 1920s. McGaughy and Barnwell were local bankers and Warren, self-admittedly, was a man of many “functionalabilities.”
Henderson fans were aggravated and indignant as they stormed toward the Gilmer rooters following the game’s end. Why shouldn’t they be bitter? Their local team had blown a 0-0 tie at kickoff time and allowed the visitors to score the next 103 points. Day labor was 10 cents an hour in that day and time and a lot of the ole boys had seen a 6-day work week vanish quicker than a hiccup.
What would be your first response when encountered by a highly inflamed rival, especially when nothing was being said about the game, bets, etc.?
Addressing McGaughy, the hottest of the hottest bellowed, “Why all you guys from Gilmer got your hands in your pockets and seem to be juggling something? Heh, heh, heh.
With a grin as wide as the wooden goalposts left standing on the field, the Gilmer financier withdrew a mightily-used buckeye from his pocket and said ...
“It’s a buckeye, friend. Everybody in Gilmer, as far as I know, carries a buckeye in his britches. Ole John here (Mr. Barnwell) has one in each pocket. He’s got a heap of arthritis and it keeps him down. Better’n aspirin. Show ’em, John.”
Mr. Barnwell displayed both of his buckeyes to the man who seemed to be simmering down a little by now. One of the buckeyes was light brown and the other had a slight jade color.
“Why’s one turning green?” His chin rose and mouth turned down as he awaited an answer.
John was thinking he was back in Gilmer behind his desk and in his swivel chair when he shot back, “When they start turning green, Bob, that means they’ve absorbed about all the arthritis they can hold.”
“Can I have one of those things? You say, it’s called a buckeye?”
Barnwell gave the man both of his buckeyes and explained he had some more growing in a back patch.
McGaughy and Warren said their buckeyes brought them luck. You gotta be lucky to give 75 points and win on a football game.
The Henderson fella that got the two buckeyes waved goodbye as carloads of fans headed back to Upshur County. Fighting the dust, he yelled, “See you next year, GILMER BUCKEYES.”
The name stuck! The orange and black clad Buckeyes ruled the roost all over East Texas for over a decade under the tutelage of Henry McClelland.

http://gilmerbuckeyes.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-gilmer-came-to-be-known-as.html

But Joe is a coach (I was friends with Lindy....the Mirrow reported on the Gladewater deal...let's get regaleagle to comingle the two stories and establish the real tru story of how the Buckeyes git their name...and flower it up to make is look smartl, good looking, strong & handsome and the are not...Thanks in advance

regaleagle
04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't think those stories are far off, but probably not exactly what really happened. Back in those days football helmets didn't have faceguards....so it wasn't unusual for a few players to show up with blackeyes after a tough game. So after Gilmer put a whoopin' on whichever team it was that night, one of the men standing on the sidelines said something to the other about the blackeyes of the opposing team, but the the other guy thought he said "buckeyes". He just happen to have a few of those big 'ol white acorns from East Texas in his pocket (he was an avid deer hunter), so he pulled 'em out and said "you mean these "buckeyes"???? So that's more or less how the whole nickname thing got started.....Gilmer became known as a team that put the "buckeye" on opposing teams. Really just a bunch of rabid deer hunters that loved football. And that's what they are to this day. Long live the Buckeye. That's my story, anyway.

buckeyebob
04-30-2013, 07:15 AM
I don't think those stories are far off, but probably not exactly what really happened. Back in those days football helmets didn't have faceguards....so it wasn't unusual for a few players to show up with blackeyes after a tough game. So after Gilmer put a whoopin' on whichever team it was that night, one of the men standing on the sidelines said something to the other about the blackeyes of the opposing team, but the the other guy thought he said "buckeyes". He just happen to have a few of those big 'ol white acorns from East Texas in his pocket (he was an avid deer hunter), so he pulled 'em out and said "you mean these "buckeyes"???? So that's more or less how the whole nickname thing got started.....Gilmer became known as a team that put the "buckeye" on opposing teams. Really just a bunch of rabid deer hunters that loved football. And that's what they are to this day. Long live the Buckeye. That's my story, anyway.

Good job but one little problem...buckeyes are orange & poisonous...even Gladewater deer are not that stupid...Henderson deer probably are.

waterboy
04-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Good job but one little problem...buckeyes are orange & poisonous...even Gladewater deer are not that stupid...Henderson deer probably are.

:spitlol::spitlol::spitlol: Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! The only thing is....., I ain't so sure there aren't of few of them Gladewater deer that ain't that stupid. They're the epitome of copycats, too.

waterboy
04-30-2013, 09:19 AM

:clap::clap::clap: Great story!

It is true, though, that there are a few Buckeye trees in East Texas, and some people around here still carry them in their pockets.

buckeyebob
05-01-2013, 08:33 AM
I carry my wife's & my buckeyes to every game...they are in my carry on luggage along with my horn, rattlers, Buckeye Bugs & stuff of her's like wet wipes, etc