PDA

View Full Version : Bob Shipley hired as football analyst for Longhorns

Scoop27
04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Bob Shipley, a veteran high school coach who spent the past four years at Brownwood, has been hired for the newly created position of “football analyst” in the almost equally new player personnel department, Texas announced Monday.

And yes, he’s the father of two Texas wide receivers — former Longhorn Jordan Shipley and current player Jaxon Shipley, who will be a junior this fall.

“We’ve obviously known him for a long time,” coach Mack Brown said in a statement.

The player personnel department, which will assist the coaching staff in numerous recruiting-related chores, began taking shape when Patrick Suddes was hired from Alabama on March 8 to be the director. According to Texas, Shipley will coordinate the walk-on program and assist in film work as well as the planning and execution of the annual high school coaching clinic and summer football camp. Among other tasks, he will assist in the Longhorns’ dealings with high school coaches.

That should be a strength for Shipley, who has coached mostly on the high school level in Texas since 1984. In his four seasons as athletic director and head coach at Brownwood, he led the Lions to a 39-14 record and four straight playoff appearances.

“I’m very excited about joining the Texas football program and appreciate coach Brown giving me this opportunity,” Shipley said in a statement. “I believe in him. He’s the kind of coach a dad dreams of his son being able to grow up and play for, and my sons have had an incredible experience at Texas. I think I bring a unique perspective to the staff.

“Having been a college coach, a longtime high school coach and having been around the program for almost 10 years with my sons, this is a position that just seemed right for me. Assisting with recruiting is something that I have experience in and love to do.”

From 2001 to 2006, Shipley coached at his alma mater, Burnet High School, posting a 54-19 record and making two straight appearances in the Class 3A, Division I state championship game. His experience as a recruiter came from two coaching stints at his collegiate alma mater, Abilene Christian University, where he served as recruiting coordinator and offensive coordinator.

“I’m looking forward to working with Patrick Suddes,” Shipley said. “It didn’t take long to see that he has a great plan, and I’m looking forward to learning from him. I’m also excited about being involved with high school relations with Ken Rucker. He’s done a great job in that area, and I want to help him any way I can. I’m excited to get to work.”