PDA

View Full Version : Demetrius Knox de-commmited from the Longhorns

Scoop27
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Austin - Monday’s news, on its own, wasn’t good. Demetrius Knox, the Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal offensive guard who was the highest-rated recruit so far for Texas’ 2014 signing class, de-committed from the Longhorns.

De-commitments are rarely a good thing. For the Longhorns, it will appear as though Mack Brown’s recruiting grip on the Lone Star State, once at full-on kung ** strength, is further loosening. But when you look at Knox’s de-commitment on a deeper level, and analyze the situation for what it is, it’s far from the worst thing that Knox is no longer a part of the Texas class.

Above all else, this shows that Brown’s no-visit policy has merit. What good is a policy if you don’t enforce it? Brown told Knox that he couldn’t take any more visits if he was committed, and so Knox did what he felt was in his best interest.

As the Longhorns try to work their way back among the elite programs in college football, they need guys who are all in and who not only want to be at Texas, but want to give their all to the greater good of the program while they’re on campus.

If they aren’t, what you end up with is dead weight on the roster. We’ve all seen this program go down that road.

Brown’s stance might sound unreasonable given the fact that the Longhorns are a combined 22-16 over the last three years and the perceived leverage isn’t there. It also could be considered unreasonable knowing that recruits today are different than they were 10 or even five years ago.

Social media has given recruits a platform for self-promotion never before imagined. A lot of kids love the attention and want to drag out the process as long as possible. Can it be assumed this policy will cost Texas recruits in the future? Without question it could.

However, be mindful of the fact that what the no-visit policy means, in a nutshell, is that if you’re 100 percent committed to Texas, Texas will return the favor. While Knox de-committed, there are still 13 recruits in this 2014 class who by and large respect the policy and have no intentions of dropping Texas.

If there’s one thing Brown has been great at over the years, it’s managing the numbers by signing day, and as long as he’s the coach, it’s hard to envision a scenario in which Texas tells a kid he doesn’t have a spot in the class come January. Those kinds of things don’t happen when everyone is up-front and honest.

Now, all of that said, losing Knox hurts. He is a talented player. And you hate being on the bad side of a numbers game when it comes to the offensive line. Knox was going to be in a position to crack the Texas two-deep early in his career at guard, and he’s far and away the top in-state lineman in what is a down year at the position in Texas (especially compared with 2013).

When looking at replacing Knox in the class, it’s far from a sure thing that Texas offensive line coach Stacy Searels will be able to find someone with the same upside. Still, with a plethora of young guards either on campus or on the way this summer, he can afford to make a run at a couple of prospects knowing they probably won’t be called upon until 2015.

In terms of in-state guys, Texas is likely to continue to evaluate Dallas Bishop Dunne’s Jovan Pruitt and Van Alstyne’s Connor Mayes. The staff went by the school of each recruit last week.

The offensive line number for 2014 is three at the absolute max, but it could very well just be two. That third recruit would have to be someone the staff really liked, but if there’s anything you can bank on, it’s that Searels won’t leave stones unturned when it comes to trying to find guys who can play.

Also, the 2015 class is already looking to be a much better year inside the state. Texas is in a good position with Keller’s Maea Teuhema, who might be the state’s best, and already has a commitment from Sherman’s Aaron Garza. That’s a class in which the number could easily be four or five, and if those two are the first two, the Longhorns would be off to an exceptional start.

There’s no question that losing Knox hurts. But it’s far from a catastrophic situation for the Longhorns.

TEXAS’ OFFENSIVE LINE

What should Texas’ offensive line look like for the 2014 season?

Tackles — Josh Cochran (Sr.), Desmond Harrison (Sr.), Kennedy Estelle (Jr.), Garrett Greenlea (Jr.), Camrhon Hughes (So.), Kent Perkins (Fr.-RS)

Guards — Sedrick Flowers (Jr.), Taylor Doyle (Jr.), Marcus Hutchins (Jr.), Curtis Riser (So.), Darius James (So.), Rami Hammad (Fr.-RS)

Centers — Dominic Espinosa (Sr.), Jake Raulerson (Fr.-RS), Terrell Cuney (Fr.-HS)

HOOKEM.COM

The American-Statesman’s Internet partner for University of Texas sports has unmatched insight and analysis of recruiting and daily coverage of the Longhorns. For UT recruiting, team news and message boards, visit Hookem.com.

comment(3)
4 1 0 11

More News
More on statesman.com

Longhorns hire Bob Shipley to help with recruiting
Affidavit: Austin woman targeted another woman with fake...
The Blotter: Police release new sketch of East Austin killer
Horns fall to West Virginia in 10 innings
Woman in custody after assault on police officers
Bohls: Nine things and one crazy prediction

From Around the Web

College Football Programs Heading Downhill in 2013 (Rant Sports)
No Closet? Stunning Storage Solutions for Sticky Spaces (HGTV Remodels)
10 High Risk Dog Breeds (Photo Gallery) (DexKnows)
11 Spectacular Landscaping Ideas (HGTV)
Backyard Garden Layouts To Create An At-Home Sanctuary (Lonny Magazine - Accessible Home Design)
ESPN, SEC postpone announcement in light of Boston Marathon tragedy (Sports Illustrated)

[?]
Comments

If you would like to post a comment please Sign in or Register
3 Comment(s)
Comment(s) 1-3 of 3

Posted by OrangeBlood at 8:38 p.m. Apr. 22, 2013
Report Abuse

This wasn't a surprise.
For months now they're have been rumors Knox was looking at other schools.
It's only April, long ways to go before signing day.

Posted by kenman1 at 11:47 p.m. Apr. 22, 2013
Report Abuse

Whatever...it was only a matter of time before he got arrested by APD anyway...Why the smug look Demetrius? You mad? PO'd? Flunk a Pre Cal test?

Posted by Texasbornnbred at 7:52 a.m. Apr. 23, 2013
Report Abuse

@OrangeBlood I agree it wasn't a surprise however I still feel that the No visit policy sends a mixed conflicting and almost hypocritical message. While I understand the purpose of it, I can't say that I agree wih it. I think it's wrong for the program to tell a kid that you can't visit or consider another school, while at the same time the program itself is steadily trying to recruiting kids who've committed to other programs.
3 Comment(s)
Comment(s) 1-3 of 3

Newsletters
RSS Feeds
Mobile

Sports

What do you think?
Which of the following is the best active NCAA Men's head basketball coach?
Jim Boeheim
Rick Pitino
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Mike Krzyzewski
Someone else
I'm not sure
News

Local News
Archives
Blogs
Obituaries
Photo and Page Reprints
RSS
Send us a news tip

Entertainment

Austin Entertainment
Events
Suggest an event
TV Listings

Social Media

Facebook
Twitter
Google+
More Social

Services

Contact Us
Digital Products
FAQs
Feedback
Advertise
Careers
Community Development
ETearsheets
Newsroom Staff
Subscriber Services

A

M

Macarthur
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
UT may actually be fine with this long term. I've seen some internet rumors that Knox isn't exactly the hardest worker, if you know what I mean.

Matthew328
04-23-2013, 11:25 AM
UT may actually be fine with this long term. I've seen some internet rumors that Knox isn't exactly the hardest worker, if you know what I mean.

There's no question a large part of Texas' issues the past 3 years has been the offensive line evaluations...

vtskneb
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
There's no question a large part of Texas' issues the past 3 years has been the offensive line evaluations...

If the young talent on defense comes through and stays healthly this year, Texas will probably win the conference. Baylor will be in the running as well as Okie State. I think Oklahoma and Kstate go backwards a step or two this next fall. Big 12 will be down again this year, nationally.

Macarthur
04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
If the young talent on defense comes through and stays healthly this year, Texas will probably win the conference. Baylor will be in the running as well as Okie State. I think Oklahoma and Kstate go backwards a step or two this next fall. Big 12 will be down again this year, nationally.

How many years does UT get to use the 'we're young' argument?

TCU is the best team in the Big 12 right now, IMO. And they've got the best coach, too.

Old Tiger
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM

But that goes back to the 2007-2009 recruiting classes.

Knox wanted to take more visits and Mack told him no so he decommited.

Old Tiger
04-23-2013, 05:27 PM
How many years does UT get to use the 'we're young' argument?

TCU is the best team in the Big 12 right now, IMO. And they've got the best coach, too.

Texas was just as young as TCU last year.

Matthew328
04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Texas was just as young as TCU and lost to TCU at home, with TCU having their backup QB and RB playing...

vtskneb
04-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I didn't do it purpose but yes TCU has a good shot at the title too. What was it like 20 of 22 returning starters coming back?