PDA

View Full Version : West Updates

Old Tiger
04-18-2013, 02:19 AM
These are from a press conference from Waco PD held at roughly 2:15 am

Fire started approx 6pm, knew that anhydrous ammonia was involved, 50 minutes after firefighter response was the explosion, apartments and nursing home had already begun evacuating but was not complete.

Officer Swanton said he has no idea where the 60-70 dead count came from.

Fire fighters(unsure of specific number) and 1 police officer are unaccounted for.

Still evacuating buildings in house by house search. No estimate yet given for deaths.

Power/Gas is still being cut off.

Old Tiger
04-18-2013, 02:52 AM
As of 2:50 AM here are numbers from Providence Hospital in Waco

65 patients seen
12 of those have been admitted
1 in critical

Those are not all the injuries as patients have been shipped to Hillcrest, Scott & White, and a few hospitals in the FW area.

BwdLion73
04-18-2013, 03:15 AM
The bad thing is that as of now at 3:15 the front just hit Brownwood. High gusting winds are on the way to the West area within an hour or two.

Old Tiger
04-18-2013, 03:16 AM
As of 3:15am

Hillcrest has seen the following

94 patients seen
19 will be admitted
5 trauma related surgeries

As stated earlier more severe cases were probably sent to Scott & White in Temple and a few burn hospitals in South DFW area

Old Tiger
04-18-2013, 03:39 AM
As of 3:40 AM the 1 patient in critical condition at Providence has been upgraded to stable.

Providence is reporting respiratory distress, possibly due to the fumes.

Scoop27
04-18-2013, 04:42 AM
Watching update interviews now on CBS affiliate out of Houston. right now
This is sure a tragic accident.
Prayers to all involved in the explosion

Old Tiger
04-18-2013, 04:56 AM
A seismograph in Amarillo registered the event as a 2.5 on the richter scale officially.

As of 4:45 AM Officer Swanton of the Waco PD has said the following...

5 to 15 people confirmed killed in West fertilizer plant explosion, but officials fear dozens may have died

Over 160 people confirmed injured

West's EMS director, Dr. George Smith, confirms two emergency personnel died in the fertilizer plant explosion

Searching is still going on. Allegedly they are leaving the dead bodies and focusing on those still alive.

Old Tiger
04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
As of 8:15 AM here is the update from Officer Swanton

11:45 am Rick Perry will hold a news conference at DPS head quaters
As of 7:00 am the search and rescue teams efforts have not changed and search is ongoing
Unknown as how many folks are still trapped
There is a significant area that is destroyed and some homes are completely flatened
Fire still smoldering and they are feeling more comfortable about that...all fires under control
Small amount of looting has been seen by rescue teams
No new numbers on fatalities...still fire fighters missing

1st and goal
04-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Old tiger, it's kinda hard to read about a tragedy with kate upton doing a jig....

FB-fanatic
04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Mother-in-law phoned frantically at 8:00. All windows of her home were blown and no lights. Her home is adjacent to the "old" high school, about 15 blocks away from the blast. She had been sitting on the sofa watching TV. By the time we arrived at West (8:35) every EMS within 50 mile radius was there. Multiple Careflights were flying in and out. No flames, but spotlights and media lights lit the scene of heavy smoke from near the interstate. Blew the door off the refrigerator, caved in a roof portion above a bedroom, but came away unscathed. Will not allow us to return to home until probably Sunday.

http://s24.postimg.org/898nn3ol1/west.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
photo hosting (http://postimage.org/)

YTBulldogs
04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
As of 8:15 AM here is the update from Officer Swanton

11:45 am Rick Perry will hold a news conference at DPS head quaters
As of 7:00 am the search and rescue teams efforts have not changed and search is ongoing
Unknown as how many folks are still trapped
There is a significant area that is destroyed and some homes are completely flatened
Fire still smoldering and they are feeling more comfortable about that...all fires under control
Small amount of looting has been seen by rescue teams
No new numbers on fatalities...still fire fighters missing

Shoot the looters on site. Let lay. Move to next building and resume search.

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 12:59 AM
I don't think I would kill someone for stealing...

I know a person who grew up stealing so that him and his brother could eat because his dad was a drug mule and his mom was a crack whore and no one took care of them. I'm not saying this is a similar case at all, but you never know the circumstances for why someone might feel the need to steal (not condoning stealing or empathizing - just saying) and I don't think under any circumstance that shooting them and letting them lay would be an appropriate action but maybe that's just me.

YTBulldogs
04-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't think I would kill someone for stealing...

I know a person who grew up stealing so that him and his brother could eat because his dad was a drug mule and his mom was a crack whore and no one took care of them. I'm not saying this is a similar case at all, but you never know the circumstances for why someone might feel the need to steal (not condoning stealing or empathizing - just saying) and I don't think under any circumstance that shooting them and letting them lay would be an appropriate action but maybe that's just me.

When you take advantage by stealing during someone's heart ache, your SCUM of the earth, and no use of. Officials have to fool with them, while they are trying to save lives. Pitiful.

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I'm not going to put a bullet in someone's head for being a thief. I can think of a lot of worse things to be.

As far as the rescue efforts go, disregard the small amount of looting and continue your rescue efforts. Don't waste time worrying about it and definitely don't murder people over it. Again, just my opinion

YTBulldogs
04-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, I'm sure these bums were not stealing groceries cause they were hungry. More like, computers, flat screens, vehicles, money and weapons most likely being stolen. Don't ya think? Maybe I was little hard saying let them lay after you shoot them. Drag them out of the way, so their victims don't have to deal with them when they can return home from laying their loved ones to rest.

Phil C
04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, I'm sure these bums were not stealing groceries cause they were hungry. More like, computers, flat screens, vehicles, money and weapons most likely being stolen. Don't ya think? Maybe I was little hard saying let them lay after you shoot them. Drag them out of the way, so their victims don't have to deal with them when they can return home from laying their loved ones to rest.

During the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 lotters were shot and tied to trees not to be cruel but so someone could say who they were. Few were claimed.

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM

I mean you can assume that's what they're stealing, but how can you be sure? Pretty sure you can't. You have no idea what they're doing, stealing... IF they're even stealing... Why they're doing it, etc. but eff it... Put a bullet in their head.

I'd hate if someone put a bullet in my head or family's head for bad decisions like that.

YTBulldogs
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
During the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 lotters were shot and tied to trees not to be cruel but so someone could say who they were. Few were claimed.

Would you claim the scum, that would do something like this Phil? This poor West town is trying to still recover their missing, and you have some thugs (probably some druggies needing quick cash for a fix) sneaking in and stealing those poor folks belongings.

Sorry, I have zero compassion for a thief taking advantage of those suffering hardship.

44INAROW
04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
I mean you can assume that's what they're stealing, but how can you be sure? Pretty sure you can't. You have no idea what they're doing, stealing... IF they're even stealing... Why they're doing it, etc. but eff it... Put a bullet in their head.

I'd hate if someone put a bullet in my head or family's head for bad decisions like that.
I will say this - if a terrible tragedy as the one in West happens in Cuero - and someone unknown to me shows up on my property and is stealing from my belongings - I will shoot them.. if they are starving and hungry - knock on my door and I'll help them or lead them in the direction for food but don't steal from me.. period. I probably wouldn't shoot to kill though.... I'd shoot to stop them.. hopefully they can crawl far enough to not bleed on my carpet (ok that was uncalled for) Seriously - looting in a situation as the West situation is grounds to be shot in my book, there are other avenues to get food..I'd bet dollar to donuts those that are looting are NOT stealing food...

**disclaimer, I am talking ADULTS - I wouldn't ever think of shooting a small child who's hungry

YTBulldogs
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
I will say this - if a terrible tragedy as the one in West happens in Cuero - and someone unknown to me shows up on my property and is stealing from my belongings - I will shoot them.. if they are starving and hungry - knock on my door and I'll help them or lead them in the direction for food but don't steal from me.. period. I probably wouldn't shoot to kill though.... I'd shoot to stop them.. hopefully they can crawl far enough to not bleed on my carpet (ok that was uncalled for) Seriously - looting in a situation as the West situation is grounds to be shot in my book, there are other avenues to get food..I'd bet dollar to donuts those that are looting are NOT stealing food...

**disclaimer, I am talking ADULTS - I wouldn't ever think of shooting a small child who's hungry

I agree. If they are stealing for food as someone mentioned--then go to the churches, numerous shelter places they have all over the area, and get your grub on for free.

Rabid Cougar
04-19-2013, 03:15 PM
It was one person for crying out loud. Not like it was rampant. You cannot even hardly get off the Interstate in West now. More DPS vehicles, News trucks, insurance claims vans and restoration vehicles that you can shake a stick at.

44INAROW
04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Mother-in-law phoned frantically at 8:00. All windows of her home were blown and no lights. Her home is adjacent to the "old" high school, about 15 blocks away from the blast. She had been sitting on the sofa watching TV. By the time we arrived at West (8:35) every EMS within 50 mile radius was there. Multiple Careflights were flying in and out. No flames, but spotlights and media lights lit the scene of heavy smoke from near the interstate. Blew the door off the refrigerator, caved in a roof portion above a bedroom, but came away unscathed. Will not allow us to return to home until probably Sunday.

http://s24.postimg.org/898nn3ol1/west.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
photo hosting (http://postimage.org/)

Thank God your mother in law is OK..

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 03:34 PM
It was one person for crying out loud. Not like it was rampant.

Shoulda killed em...

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 03:36 PM
you have some thugs (probably some druggies needing quick cash for a fix) sneaking in and stealing those poor folks belongings

You have absolutely zero basis for what you've said. The best thing you have to go off is pure hearsay.

Nonetheless, kill em.

Old Tiger
04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
You have absolutely zero basis for what you've said. The best thing you have to go off is pure hearsay.

Nonetheless, kill em.It would not surprise me if they were from bellmead/lacy lakeview

Trashman
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
The Sheriff said in an interview last night that they had taken care of the looting problem. I'm thinking that it wasn't food they were stealing by his comments.

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
The Sheriff said in an interview last night that they had taken care of the looting problem. I'm thinking that it wasn't food they were stealing by his comments.

Regardless, kill them?

Old Tiger
04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
I believe I will be heading up there tomorrow to assist anyway I can.

Scoop27
04-19-2013, 04:17 PM
I 35 at West was packed last month when we were on our way to Fort Worth-Lot of construction- This was on a Saturday afternoon as well on Sunday afternoon. Sugar Land off Hwy 59 used to be this way when they were working on it and only two lanes open each way

YTBulldogs
04-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Regardless, kill them?

You appear the harsh one SA. I never said kill them, I said shoot them and let them lay. Let them crawl back to where they came from for help. You talking about head shots and killing. I never spoke of head shots. But, if your wish of death were the result, not sure meaning would lose sleep.

BwdLion73
04-19-2013, 05:55 PM

If it was my home or my family business I would protect it. Are you really that PC or just trying to drum things up. I dont think I would put a "bullet" in anyones head, but I would place my shots where they would effect the necessary force to protect me and mine. I would hope your "family" would make a better decision.

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 06:23 PM
You appear the harsh one SA. I never said kill them, I said shoot them and let them lay. Let them crawl back to where they came from for help. You talking about head shots and killing. I never spoke of head shots. But, if your wish of death were the result, not sure meaning would lose sleep.

Hahaha you interpret my sarcasm as ME being harsh? My 'wish of death' lmao

You "only" said shoot them and let them lay. Hahaha

Yeah.. I'm the one pushing for the violence towards thieves... Clearly I'm the one condoning the shooting....

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Lol I'm the farthest thing from politically correct. I just don't think it's justified to murder someone for stealing. I'm all for equal punishment or jail time... I'm just questioning the whole murder them thing... Doesn't seem necessary.

If they came at me with a gun, then alright...

But if they're looting the remains of destroyed houses... I'm prolly not gonna murder them. Especially since its probably underprivileged teenagers with their entire lives ahead of them.

But yeah... I'm politically correct I guess cuz I don't see the need to shoot thieves

BwdLion73
04-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Lol I'm the farthest thing from politically correct. I just don't think it's justified to murder someone for stealing. I'm all for equal punishment or jail time... I'm just questioning the whole murder them thing... Doesn't seem necessary.

If they came at me with a gun, then alright...

But if they're looting the remains of destroyed houses... I'm prolly not gonna murder them. Especially since its probably underprivileged teenagers with their entire lives ahead of them.

But yeah... I'm politically correct I guess cuz I don't see the need to shoot thieves

I fully understand what you are saying about using deadly force on a misdemeanor charge. I'm talking about protecting my family or my ability to make a living. I also think in a time like this good people have a hard time understanding why someone would take advantage of the injured and suffering. That is a normal first response..."kill em' all and let GOD sort them out". I do see a need to shoot theives that are coming in my house or business. Your a little on the other end of the spectrum if you think that makes me a murderer.

Saggy Aggie
04-19-2013, 08:54 PM
I fully understand what you are saying about using deadly force on a misdemeanor charge. I'm talking about protecting my family or my ability to make a living. I also think in a time like this good people have a hard time understanding why someone would take advantage of the injured and suffering. That is a normal first response..."kill em' all and let GOD sort them out". I do see a need to shoot theives that are coming in my house or business. Your a little on the other end of the spectrum if you think that makes me a murderer.

Looting abandoned destroyed houses is quite a bit different than a straight up burglary. If someone comes into my house when I'm there, I'm going to use whatever means necessary to protect my family.

These people are criminals... Definitely thieves... But they're not looking for violence and aren't burglarizing homes with people in them. Shooting them seems like a very extreme measure given the circumstances.

Sure it makes me sick they'd take advantage of these people in such an awful time, but that doesn't give us the right to shoot them on the spot... Especially since we don't know for sure if they're even guilty of what they've been accused, what they took if they took anything or why.

I'm just saying the whole yeah lemme whip out my pistol and pop a cap in em attitude is stupid. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Screw that, lets shoot em on the spot and let em lay

BwdLion73
04-19-2013, 09:19 PM
...and I think it is normal for good people who see suffering to want it not to happen. "Screw them shoot em on the spot is what comes to peoples mind" I'm not for randomly shooting looters....but as a first thought when you see something like that on TV I have often thought I would love to protect the innocent by shooting the theives! They have no business going in someplace they have no right to be stealing...I dont care if its Steaks or Flat Screens. I bet you and I along with the other posters on this thread are not far apart in our beliefs about this.

Think about it...we used to hang horse theives. :)

Rabid Cougar
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
I believe I will be heading up there tomorrow to assist anyway I can.

DPS will tell you to go home.

Matthew328
04-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Can't say for sure what I'd do in that situation....my logical brain tells me to fire a warning shot, then maybe a shot to wound type deal....I'm sure if I was that traumatized and my house was being looted I wouldn't be thinking logically though

FB-fanatic
04-20-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm not a huge gun guy, but I think a shot to the leg would be warranted here.

We'll find out today if we get in to my mother-in-laws house. Sure hope nothing has been taken.

Old Tiger
04-20-2013, 09:00 AM
DPS will tell you to go home.

It was with a church out of the Dfw area. But it won't be till next weekend. They are going to to just be sitting supplies this weekend

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

Rabid Cougar
04-20-2013, 09:29 AM
It was with a church out of the Dfw area. But it won't be till next weekend. They are going to to just be sitting supplies this weekend

Sent from Heaven using Tapatalk

They are requesting to not bring anymore food, clothing and water as they are overwhelmed with this type of aid. They are requesting financial assistance at this time.

FB-fanatic
04-20-2013, 09:58 AM
My wife and MIL drove out to West this morning and just spoke to DPS. They are going to let a limited number of folks back to their homes today. Will probably allow folks 3 blocks deep from Oak street (the main street feeding from I-35 to downtown). These homes have been deemed safe and probably livable. This does not let us even get close to her home near the football field. If the remaining homes are inspected an deemed "safe", those residents will probably be escorted in tomorrow and allowed to remove a limited amount of contents. Those deemed unsafe will be escorted in, but a DPS official will enter the home and get few things. The rest of the contents will remain and the home will be classified unsafe and possibly demolished. That is what we are hearing today.