bobcat1
04-17-2013, 08:12 AM
That was great!

Cam
04-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Pretty awesome Coog! You should be proud!......:clap:

Rabid Cougar
04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
They are around you everyday and you never know it. Used to my visual image of Vets were of my Grandfathers and my Uncles. Now they are of men my sons' ages. They are men, regardless of how young they are. This needs to be done everytime you see one of them, in uniform or in civies. Very cool!

1971Coogs
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
That was great!He came home momentarily to bring his wife and two children home before he headed off to Afghanistan that weekend. He said he wanted to be in the broadcast booth with me and my crew ( and of course watch his Coogs play football). I had it all planned with the PA announcer, my son never knew what was up. He did get a little suspicious though when I stood behind him with my Iphone. I told him I just wanted to take a picture of him... he soon found out why. I will admit....fathers do get teary eyed in situations like that :smoker:

1971Coogs
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Pretty awesome Coog! You should be proud!......:clap:Yes sir !! thanks Cam

1971Coogs
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
They are around you everyday and you never know it. Used to my visual image of Vets were of my Grandfathers and my Uncles. Now they are of men my sons' ages. They are men, regardless of how young they are. This needs to be done everytime you see one of them, in uniform or in civies. Very cool!good post....my son has been in the Marine Corp 15 years now. I remember when he was deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. My wife and I didn't hear from him for 8 months. We both lost weight.. you understand first hand of what others have been through.

maestro
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
:clap:

defense51
04-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Semper Fi !!!

1971Coogs
04-18-2013, 06:56 AM
:clap::thumbsup:

1971Coogs
04-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Semper Fi !!!Oorah !

firstdown
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
oorah!

My son is a Marine and it never ceases to amaze me of the public reaction he gets when is out in public in his uniform.

ethsfbnut
04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
1971Coogs, firstdown and all parents and families with loved ones serving, God bless you all and thank you.

1971Coogs
04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
oorah!

My son is a Marine and it never ceases to amaze me of the public reaction he gets when is out in public in his uniform.It is quite humbling. My son on numerous occasions has been with his family at a restaurant while in uniform. When he goes to the register to pay the attendant would say..."it's been taken care of" or " that gentleman over there grabbed your ticket". Makes you proud for sure. :cool:

1971Coogs
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
1971Coogs, firstdown and all parents and families with loved ones serving, God bless you all and thank you.:D yes sir !

1st and goal
04-18-2013, 08:55 PM
I am proud and fond of our service men. Especially those who re-up. Thank your son for his service, from my family to yours.

Funny story or not so much maybe.

My uncle was a big guy, and a blue chipper football player. He joined the marines back in WWII. Back in that day the gunny's could hit you if they felt like it. Well, one did hit my uncle while he was crawling on the ground in training. My uncle got up and whipped his @$$. Mind you, the gunny's were hand picked because they were suppossed to be able to whip anybody's rear. Well, he was going through OCS I guess and they bumped him down after that to drive a beach landing craft (after getting in trouble for beating his gunny up). Anyway in the Pacific war on some big island they were invading, they told all the landing craft to drop off their marines and come back out to sea a mile or 2 and all get in a big circle holding pattern. They radioed my uncle and said to go back to beach to pick up 2 POW's and bring them back alive to big ship for questioning. They picked the right man for this operation (guess they do something right every now and then). Anyway, When he gets to the beach, 4 marines load up the 2 POW's and they back off and start towards the ship a few miles off the coast. The 4 marines get the notion that they want to cut the ears off of the Jap prisoners so they can each have a souvenir. My uncle said it aint' happening as he's responsible for the POWs now. The 4 bowed up to him and he had to whip a few of them before they decided they didn't need any Jap ears after all. I think he threatened the 4th with going overboard for shark food. :)

1971Coogs
04-19-2013, 06:54 AM
I am proud and fond of our service men. Especially those who re-up. Thank your son for his service, from my family to yours.

Funny story or not so much maybe.

My uncle was a big guy, and a blue chipper football player. He joined the marines back in WWII. Back in that day the gunny's could hit you if they felt like it. Well, one did hit my uncle while he was crawling on the ground in training. My uncle got up and whipped his @$$. Mind you, the gunny's were hand picked because they were suppossed to be able to whip anybody's rear. Well, he was going through OCS I guess and they bumped him down after that to drive a beach landing craft (after getting in trouble for beating his gunny up). Anyway in the Pacific war on some big island they were invading, they told all the landing craft to drop off their marines and come back out to sea a mile or 2 and all get in a big circle holding pattern. They radioed my uncle and said to go back to beach to pick up 2 POW's and bring them back alive to big ship for questioning. They picked the right man for this operation (guess they do something right every now and then). Anyway, When he gets to the beach, 4 marines load up the 2 POW's and they back off and start towards the ship a few miles off the coast. The 4 marines get the notion that they want to cut the ears off of the Jap prisoners so they can each have a souvenir. My uncle said it aint' happening as he's responsible for the POWs now. The 4 bowed up to him and he had to whip a few of them before they decided they didn't need any Jap ears after all. I think he threatened the 4th with going overboard for shark food. :)Good story...it appears this thread jogged some good memories and reaffirmed the support we have for our young men and women who protect the freedoms we sometimes take for granted. It sounds like your Uncle was perfect for the Marine Corp...Oorah !