PDA

View Full Version : Longtime Columbia Tennis Coach Charlie Brand passes away

Scoop27
04-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Longtime Columbia tennis coach Charlie Brand passed away Tuesday night. Coach Brand worked at CHS from 1958 - 2005. He touched many lives and made a positive difference in the community. He was a good fellow and will be missed.

I met coach Brand while writing sports for the Wharton Journal-Spectator way back in the 1980s and interviewed him often. He was one of the best in the business and great and friendly person.

mac77
04-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Very sad to hear this earlier today. I have had the privilege of working with Charlie and Mary Brand and knowing them for 15 years. Both are great people. Charlie will be dearly missed. RIP Charlie. Prayers for Mary and the family.

Roughneck93
04-10-2013, 07:23 PM
:(

RIP Coach.

It was an honor being one of the many student-athletes that Coach has mentored.

Thoughts and prayers to the Brand family.

1st and goal
04-10-2013, 07:26 PM
He was a line coach for the football team and an algebra teacher too. Liked by many I'm told. Prayers for his family.

pancho villa
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I coached football with Charlie for 9 years. What a great coach and even better person. He also was an excellent Algebra teacher. My daughter loved his class. I learned a lot of valuable things from that man.

Scoop27
04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
He had several tennis players who played at the state tournament. All his peers admired and respected him

Scoop27
04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Charlie Brand, age 77, passed away April 10, 2013. He was born in Brazoria on August 1, 1935 and moved to West Columbia that same year.  Aside from his college years in Austin, Charlie was always proud to call West Columbia home and it was here he served as an educator, coach, and mentor to so many.   

He was preceded in death by his maternal grandfather, R.R. Farmer, Sr. and grandmother, Kate; his paternal grandfather, Charles Brand and grandmother, Mary; father, Newton; and mother, Katie Lee Brand, of West Columbia; and brother-in-law Jim Lansford of Alvin.