PDA

View Full Version : Texas HB1374 & SB929 "Tebow Bill"

Ville-D
04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
What are your thoughts on "home schoolers" participating in UIL activities?

House Bill 1374 and Senate Bill 929: Equal Access for Homeschool Students in UIL Sports.

Info on the Bill:
http://thsc.org/2013/04/call-today-to-pass-tebow-bill/
http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=bill/house-bill-1374-and-senate-bill-929-equal-access-homeschool-students-uil-sports
http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB1374

cotulla
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
If the public school is not good enough for you... why are the extra-curriculars?

What and who makes them eligible? Mom, Dad, neighbor who you're paying?
What about 4 years of eligilibity after enrolling as a freshman? How many credits a year do they have to earn to be eligible next year?

What keeps "stud" from saying their home schooled to alleviate the problem of no pass, no play?

Does my team of "home schoolers" have an advantage of sleeping all day before a big game over the public school team who's players get to school at 8:00 and learn all day?

We have not even touched standardized testing...

Lots of questions...

On the THSC website they tout that 27 other states have Tebow rules as if it's a good thing. Is it really? Why do the other 23 states not?

Macarthur
04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm not in favor. They have their own leagues now and they can participate in club sports.

If you don't attend the school, you don't participate in their extracurricular activities.

Ville-D
04-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Stepp, What are you hearing about this?

cowboyandchrist
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
If he or she lives in the Tatum or Carthage district and they can flat out play, by all means let them play. If they live in any other district, heck no they can not play.

Rabid Cougar
04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
If they pay taxes in the school district why not? If they are the next Tebow Hell Yes!

Macarthur
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
If they pay taxes in the school district why not? If they are the next Tebow Hell Yes!

Everybody pays taxes. Not relevant.

rancher
04-11-2013, 08:07 AM
If the parents pay SCHOOL TAXES, LET THEM PLAY. Why are you so afraid? A lot of parents do not want to send their kids to a failing school system like a lot of Texas Schools have. These feetsball coaches need to realize that change is going to take place in the Government run school system which is failing our kids..

Macarthur
04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
If the parents pay SCHOOL TAXES, LET THEM PLAY. Why are you so afraid? A lot of parents do not want to send their kids to a failing school system like a lot of Texas Schools have. These feetsball coaches need to realize that change is going to take place in the Government run school system which is failing our kids..

No one is afraid of anything.

By homeschooling, they are saying that they are dissatisfied with the school system in one way or another. Why should they get to pick and choose what parts they want to participate? They now have their own leagues that kids that go to public school can not participate in; they also can do club.

I strongly resent the fact that you can disparage our school system in so many ways, but 'oh, I want to play sports, so you have to let me do that.' It is BS.

SCHOOL TAXES, LET THEM PLAY

And everyone pays school taxes. This point is irrelevant.

Aesculus gilmus
04-11-2013, 11:03 AM
This guy who keeps using the term "feetsball" is not in the majority. However, most of the people with money agree with him. As long as Hispanics (now the majority of the students in the public schools) don't vote in large numbers, the money party in charge of the state will remain in charge.

So I'd say the rest of you who don't have money and influence over the process are wasting your time debating the "feetsball" guy out on his ranch. Everything he wants to see happen is eventually going to come about. Notice he's pretty smug. He knows this.

cotulla
04-11-2013, 02:13 PM
a fair level playing field would be nice... is that too much to ask for?

let's have the argument again... who's forced to attend a failing public school in texas?
last i checked schools were based on attendance zones and i could live in any zone i choose to.

panfan
04-11-2013, 02:53 PM
What are your thoughts on "home schoolers" participating in UIL activities?

House Bill 1374 and Senate Bill 929: Equal Access for Homeschool Students in UIL Sports.

Info on the Bill:
http://thsc.org/2013/04/call-today-to-pass-tebow-bill/
http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=bill/house-bill-1374-and-senate-bill-929-equal-access-homeschool-students-uil-sports
http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB1374

Lets consider some of the reasons why some parents decide to home school their kids:
Religous reasons - a vast majority
Education - believe education is subpar
Social or moral values - believe the public schools are too harsh an environment for little johhny or suzy
Learning disability, socially inept, or troublemakers - Some kids either have some real learning problems that the parent is protecting their kid from public school issue by home schooling, have some real social problems, or are flatout on their last leg in the public school system

These reasons come from my own correspondance with a number of parents who homeschool. Why then, would they want to have their child "mix and mingle" with the public school crowd for sports or other extracurricular activities? The have chosen a path for their kids, seperation. If they want their kids to compete, then their are many avenues available in a variety of club and league sports and academic competitions. Or mom and dad can pony up for private school.

BTW - public school are not failing our kids, its the federal mandates that control the purse strings that fail them. Education can no long take place because the fedral rules say no child left behind (or at least did), now it has a new name but the same BS. All kids must get an equal educaton, even though they are not capable of learning at the pace of the majority, thus we slow it all down such that no child gets ahead. Combine this with that proportion of parents who shoulder no responsibility in raising their kids so they can actually be taught something = FAIL.

cotulla
04-12-2013, 08:27 AM
our Texas public schools are not failing.

But... the GOP party wants you to beleive they are... because of their fundamental political views. They view public education as another welfare system.

Sad that education has become a pawn in the Democratic vs. Republican war.

Rancher - whenever you need a service done in your community, demand that the service giver be a private school educated person. Hope that ambulance driver went to private school!

rancher
04-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Face facts out Texas public schools are failing the citizens of Texas. As evident by 27% drop out rate, a failure rate of 59% on state wide AP exams (national rate is 37% failure rate). Majority of Texas public schools fail to meet federal standards. HOWEVER, AS I SAID EARLIER, THE TRAIN IS LEAVING AND THE PLAN to EXPAND CHARTER SCHOOLS CLEARS SENATE BY A 30-1 VOTE THIS WEEK. The Goverment Schools days are numbered.

cotulla
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Rancher, forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm having trouble figuring out what you are trying to say here.

"Face facts out Texas public schools are failing the citizens of Texas"

I mean I am public school educated... And right now I'm thinking you'd fail the English AP exam.

So what's the plan for all these public school kids? Where are they going?