PDA

View Full Version : Rangers

Pages : [1] 2 3

ethsfbnut
04-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Nice win yesterday. Josh`s struggles continue from last couple months of last season. Always liked him, but he does wear on nerves. Angels are on my hated list for AL teams.
Going to game today. A sweep would be nice. GO RANGERS!!!

Tejastrue
04-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Was not a good day to catch a Ranger game. Hope you still had fun.

ethsfbnut
04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Was not a good day to catch a Ranger game. Hope you still had fun.

Was not a good day for Rangers. But we did have a good time. They got to Harrison fast and often. Look for Yu to have better success tonite.

Tejastrue
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Rangers' rookie Nick Tepesch pitched well and picked up the win in his major league debut. Gave up 1 run in 7 1/3. Go Rangers!

waterboy
04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Rangers' rookie Nick Tepesch pitched well and picked up the win in his major league debut. Gave up 1 run in 7 1/3. Go Rangers!

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with Tepesch. A good win in a spot start is always a good thing. A note on Matt Harrison: it seems he's been having back problems. The back problems are causing his balls to stay up in the zone making it easy for the opponents to hit. That would explain his first two starts turning out the way they did. If Harrison gets back to his old consistent self, I don't see any real weak spots in the rotation. It says a lot when your ace has the only two losses of the season thus far, and you know that won't continue. GO RANGERS!

Tejastrue
04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Harrison placed on DL.:(

SintonFan_inAustin
04-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Harrison placed on DL.:(

should of been put there to start the season, two of the losses was when he pitched and didn't look like the same Harrison from last season.

Tejastrue
04-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Rangers won a chiller in Chicago tonight. Cubland that is..and made it very interesting in the 9th. Gentry made a highlight catch to end the game. Go Rangers!

ethsfbnut
04-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Rangers won a chiller in Chicago tonight. Cubland that is..and made it very interesting in the 9th. Gentry made a highlight catch to end the game. Go Rangers!

Holland pitched a pretty good game too. And yes, Gentry saved the win for him.

Farmersfan
04-17-2013, 07:56 AM
The revealing thing about this team right now is that 4 out of the top 5 offensive leaders for this team are new to the team. The big money regulars are struggling to get it done. Beltre, Andrus and Moreland have to hit better or this team will struggle all season. Nelson Cruz cost the team a World Series win with his lax fielding but it was overlooked because of his great offensive potential. He is a power hitter who isn't hitting for power right now................. some say his arm in the outfield is a asset. I say it isn't good enough to offset his poor fielding and if his offense isn't picked up Cruz is hurting the team more than helping. End of rant. GO RANGERS!

1. Birkman
2. Baker
3. Pierzynski
4. Kinsler
5. Carcia

coach
04-17-2013, 09:41 AM
The revealing thing about this team right now is that 4 out of the top 5 offensive leaders for this team are new to the team. The big money regulars are struggling to get it done. Beltre, Andrus and Moreland have to hit better or this team will struggle all season. Nelson Cruz cost the team a World Series win with his lax fielding but it was overlooked because of his great offensive potential. He is a power hitter who isn't hitting for power right now................. some say his arm in the outfield is a asset. I say it isn't good enough to offset his poor fielding and if his offense isn't picked up Cruz is hurting the team more than helping. End of rant. GO RANGERS!

1. Birkman
2. Baker
3. Pierzynski
4. Kinsler
5. Carcia

I actually like what nellie is doing right now. He isnt striking out as much and hitting for average. One of the biggest problems the ranger have is their centerfield play. Their defense is stout, but at the plate it has been awful. Leonys and Gentry have a combined 0 RBI. The only team in the league without their CF having an RBI/.

regaleagle
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
The Rangers are a very formidable team again this season....without Josh and Michael. IMO, they have improved the team with more youth, speed, defense, and the hitting hasn't suffered on the whole. The payroll has been redirected to pick up Berky on a short-term deal, as well as given them some room to make moves before the All-Star break. The pitching will continue to be the area of concern as is the case with most teams. But at least the staff is competitive and the organization now has more breathing room to make a deal or two if needed. Overall....a healthier team with a better financial status.

Tejastrue
04-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I actually like what nellie is doing right now. He isnt striking out as much and hitting for average. One of the biggest problems the ranger have is their centerfield play. Their defense is stout, but at the plate it has been awful. Leonys and Gentry have a combined 0 RBI. The only team in the league without their CF having an RBI/.

I don't believe these guys are there to drive in runs. If they do it's just a bonus. Gentry's speed has already been a great asset, especially with his base stealing abilities. I just wish that Wash would make a decision and choose his everyday CF. I like Gentry a lot.

Tejastrue
04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Harrison to have back surgery. :( On a better note Colby Lewis has been pitching in simulated situations and is on schedule for a return (hopefully) next month and Darvish blanked the Mariners tonight allowing 3 hits through 7. Oh yeah, Gentry drove in 2 runs. Go Rangers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-harrison-back-surgery-next-205746481--mlb.html

Tejastrue
04-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Rangers take sole possession of 1st in the West for whatever that is worth so early in the season. Nice to see though...Go Rangers!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texas-hits-4-homers-11-223158494--mlb.html

regaleagle
04-22-2013, 03:24 AM
The AL West will be a tough row to hoe this season for the Rangers. The Angels are loaded, the A's are just a great young ballclub all-around, and the Mariners are improved over the last few years. Welcome to the AL West, Houston. The only thing the 'Stros can look forward to is improving over last season....and I think they will do that by season's end, regardless of the record. At least the Rangers have some youth for the long ride and some depth to carry them if injuries creep in. The Angels must stay healthy for their team to win it. Look out for those A's.....pretty stout in all departments. Heck, the Rangers will probably win the whole enchilada this season just when Michael and Josh have moved on. That's about how baseball goes.....you just never really know.

Farmersfan
04-22-2013, 07:48 AM
The AL West will be a tough row to hoe this season for the Rangers. The Angels are loaded, the A's are just a great young ballclub all-around, and the Mariners are improved over the last few years. Welcome to the AL West, Houston. The only thing the 'Stros can look forward to is improving over last season....and I think they will do that by season's end, regardless of the record. At least the Rangers have some youth for the long ride and some depth to carry them if injuries creep in. The Angels must stay healthy for their team to win it. Look out for those A's.....pretty stout in all departments. Heck, the Rangers will probably win the whole enchilada this season just when Michael and Josh have moved on. That's about how baseball goes.....you just never really know.

The on again-off again pitching for this Ranger's team doesn't have the big bats and offensive power to protect it that it had last season. I see this as a 8 to 10 game reduction in record. The improvement of the A's, Mariners and Angels will result in another 8 game swing. If Harrison or Holland has one of their many "head up their arse" games they won't have the offense to counter it with. I see some bright spots on this team but overall it is a huge downturn from where we have been in the recent past................I think we probably shouldn't expect more than about 80 wins for this team this season. Right now AJ and Birkman are doing a lot to keep this team in the mix but we all know what normally happens with these guys as the season moves on... I hope I'm wrong!

ethsfbnut
04-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Rangers pitching right now is their saving grace. And that is with all the injuries. Pitching may be a little shaky, but right now believe they are ranked close to top in AL.

Hitting may be coming back. New guys have been great. Hey, it`s a long season. Hope this will be year of the RANGERS.

Macarthur
04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Actually, they are leading the AL in ERA. While I agree with FF that on paper it doesn't look like this team is as good as previous, I'm not sold on your final analysis. An 8 game swing is pretty significant.

First your comment about the improvement of teams in the division is a bit suspect. Do you really think the Angels are better? Can Trout replicate what he did last year? Is trading Hunter for Hamilton really worth that kind of win/loss swing? Have you checked out the Angles pitching staff (BTW, they're 25th in the league in ERA)? The As went on a historic run last year and it still took a Rangers collapse (historic in it's own right) for them to be able to win it on the last day. The As have very good pitching which will keep them in the hunt, but they still have offensive challenges. Do you realize that the As won the division last year hitting .238 as a team!? That's insane. There were only two teams worse last year - Houston & Seattle. The As are hitting a bit better this year, but I still think they have some challenges. Seattle better? How do you figure?

The Rangers - do look to be, overall, a bit less potent offensively than in years past. I say a bit because they do depend on guys like Martin, Gentry and Moreland to take a step up. However, I do think a guy like Berkman will have a profound affect on this club with how he works pitchers. They are leading the division right now and have done very little offensively. Moreland, Murphy & Andrus will not finish the year under .200 as they are now. Beltre is not going to hit in the low .200's. They will be better offensively as the season goes along. I also think the weather needs to be factored in. I remember hearing on the radio that these first couple of weeks are the lowest average temperatures that the Rangers have every played in to start a season.

Macarthur
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
And let's not forget that the Rangers have several good arms coming mid to mid-late season for reinforcements - Colby, Feliz & Soria. If Feliz and Soria get back healthy, imagine a back of the BP with Nathan, Feliz and Soria. Wow.

Tejastrue
04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I was a big Hamilton fan but his demeanor had changed and I believe he did indeed quit on us last year. I'd take Berkman over him in a clutch situation anytime. Kinsler appears to have worked on spreading the ball around, hitting the pitch where it dictates. Great start of the season for him. I also feel good about the pitching staff. Tepesch has been pretty solid as a rookie thus far. Don't know if you guys saw the line drive that took the top layer of his skin off. If you look closely you can actually see the skin fluttering in the air just behind him. It's right at the 15 second mark and is clearly seen when it crosses in line with the black support column in the stands. Ouch!!!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/9194716/nick-tepesch-texas-rangers-leaves-game-injury

Roughneck93
04-22-2013, 08:57 PM
http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/smoking/smileys-smoking-727734.gif

http://gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ron-washington-smoking.gif

Macarthur
04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Thats funny right there.

Tejastrue
04-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Seeing the score and inning..it appears Wash is enjoying a little celebratory puff or two..lol... but why this is news is beyond me. :doh:

regaleagle
04-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Given his past drug abuse history, I don't think Wash should be allowed to smoke in the clubhouse or on the bench during working hours, and in open view for anyone to see. JMO, but a high-profile job like his should have some stipulations given his past history.

regaleagle
04-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Nice win for the Rangers tonite at the Angels house. And to win it on a Pierzynski solo shot in the 9th is double sweet. The Angels faithful will have to groan a little more on the way home.

coach
04-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Given his past drug abuse history, I don't think Wash should be allowed to smoke in the clubhouse or on the bench during working hours, and in open view for anyone to see. JMO, but a high-profile job like his should have some stipulations given his past history.

He isn't smoking. MLB has outlawed smoking in the dugout. If it was legal you would see Jim Leyland light one up every - other inning.

ethsfbnut
04-23-2013, 08:01 AM
I like what AJ brings to the team. He`s got that swagger, smarta$$ness, hard working attitude and is hitting pretty good now. Type of player I`d hate on opposing team, but like on my team.

Farmersfan
04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Actually, they are leading the AL in ERA. While I agree with FF that on paper it doesn't look like this team is as good as previous, I'm not sold on your final analysis. An 8 game swing is pretty significant.

First your comment about the improvement of teams in the division is a bit suspect. Do you really think the Angels are better? Can Trout replicate what he did last year? Is trading Hunter for Hamilton really worth that kind of win/loss swing? Have you checked out the Angles pitching staff (BTW, they're 25th in the league in ERA)? The As went on a historic run last year and it still took a Rangers collapse (historic in it's own right) for them to be able to win it on the last day. The As have very good pitching which will keep them in the hunt, but they still have offensive challenges. Do you realize that the As won the division last year hitting .238 as a team!? That's insane. There were only two teams worse last year - Houston & Seattle. The As are hitting a bit better this year, but I still think they have some challenges. Seattle better? How do you figure?

The Rangers - do look to be, overall, a bit less potent offensively than in years past. I say a bit because they do depend on guys like Martin, Gentry and Moreland to take a step up. However, I do think a guy like Berkman will have a profound affect on this club with how he works pitchers. They are leading the division right now and have done very little offensively. Moreland, Murphy & Andrus will not finish the year under .200 as they are now. Beltre is not going to hit in the low .200's. They will be better offensively as the season goes along. I also think the weather needs to be factored in. I remember hearing on the radio that these first couple of weeks are the lowest average temperatures that the Rangers have every played in to start a season.

I was the loudest groaner in the crowd when i heard they signed Birkman. But I kind of like him now. Every time I watch him bat I am impressed with his vision and patience. I also like AJ and did from the beginning but historically both Birkman and AJ will have a lot of injuries or go through long drawn out dry spells. If it doesn't happen and some of the young'uns start hitting well then i agree with you this team could be a major contender. But if the "NORMAL" takes place this team will have to depend on the pitching to carry it for long periods of time (like it has so far this season) and I don't have a lot of confidence in some of our starters to be consistently quality starters. Holland comes to the ballpark about 30% of the time thinking about the latest XBox 360 game he has been playing instead of baseball. Great arm-weak mind in my opinion. Harrison has a long history of laying eggs at the worse possible time also. Darvish? Don't know yet. And you seem to be counting on the injured arms as if these guys were Matt Grienke or something. Lewis was a homerun machine and Feliz has the mental makeup of a 9 year old and will fold in tough situations. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong but as currently constructed I don't see this team as a likely contender. Mark this down for future reference: <83 wins and 3rd place in the division at best!

Macarthur
04-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Good grief, you're a debbie downer. :( This team still has many of the parts that went to back to back WS.

I certainly wouldn't paint the staff as perfect, but Colby has been nails in the playoffs for this organization. I happen to remember Feliz pitching pretty damn good. In fact, if Nelly doesn't mis-play that fly ball, we have a WS with Feliz getting the final out. And Soria has been a very good closer in the past, so yes, I do think those arms coming back are significant.

As you your comment about 'normal'. What is normal for Moreland? What is normal for Martin? What is normal for Murphy?

I can tell you this, I think with the way he draws walks and works pitchers, Berkman (if healthy), will have a more positive impact on this offense than Josh did last year. Normal is not Murphy hitting under .200. Normal is not Beltre under .250. Normal is not Elvis under .200. Given the bats on this team and the ballpark they play in, the offense most likely won't be the issue.

I certainly agree that the pitching is going to take this thing as far as it goes but that's nothing new. If Feliz and Soria come back well, the back of this bullpen is going to be nasty. When you can go a combination of Soria, Feliz and Nathan at the end of a game, I'm not sure anyone in the league can match that.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the Rangers have kept their powder dry. I fully expect them to make one or two moves. I think they make a big move for Stanton and I would not be shocked to start seeing their name attached to Cliff Lee. There are whispers that Philly is wanting to dump that salary.

Macarthur
04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
And right on cue, Evan Grant chimes in.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/lance-berkman-already-proving-a-positive-influence-on-texas-rangers-offense.html/

ethsfbnut
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Good grief, you're a debbie downer. :( This team still has many of the parts that went to back to back WS.

I certainly wouldn't paint the staff as perfect, but Colby has been nails in the playoffs for this organization. I happen to remember Feliz pitching pretty damn good. In fact, if Nelly doesn't mis-play that fly ball, we have a WS with Feliz getting the final out. And Soria has been a very good closer in the past, so yes, I do think those arms coming back are significant.

As you your comment about 'normal'. What is normal for Moreland? What is normal for Martin? What is normal for Murphy?

I can tell you this, I think with the way he draws walks and works pitchers, Berkman (if healthy), will have a more positive impact on this offense than Josh did last year. Normal is not Murphy hitting under .200. Normal is not Beltre under .250. Normal is not Elvis under .200. Given the bats on this team and the ballpark they play in, the offense most likely won't be the issue.

I certainly agree that the pitching is going to take this thing as far as it goes but that's nothing new. If Feliz and Soria come back well, the back of this bullpen is going to be nasty. When you can go a combination of Soria, Feliz and Nathan at the end of a game, I'm not sure anyone in the league can match that.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the Rangers have kept their powder dry. I fully expect them to make one or two moves. I think they make a big move for Stanton and I would not be shocked to start seeing their name attached to Cliff Lee. There are whispers that Philly is wanting to dump that salary.

All very good points. Was a bummer of an ending last nite, but liked the way Rangers fought back.

Ortiz(sp) did a great job getting out of bases loaded jam. Kendrick seems to be thorn in Rangers side. Seems to me like he`s always getting key hit against Rangers.

Farmersfan
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM

What you call "Debbie Downer" I call realistic. And I'm pretty sure my prediction record would rival anyone. So you can be a optimistic homer if that is what works for you but I see the areas that will prevent success on my favorite teams. You dwell on the strengths and i'll dwell on the weaknesses and i'm pretty sure at the end of the day I will be the one who comes out on top. At least i always pretty much have. I've posted my prediction for this season's Rangers so let's have yours. And time will tell............

Macarthur
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM
What you call "Debbie Downer" I call realistic. And I'm pretty sure my prediction record would rival anyone. So you can be a optimistic homer if that is what works for you but I see the areas that will prevent success on my favorite teams. You dwell on the strengths and i'll dwell on the weaknesses and i'm pretty sure at the end of the day I will be the one who comes out on top. At least i always pretty much have. I've posted my prediction for this season's Rangers so let's have yours. And time will tell............

Don't mistake being negative for being realistic, and just because someone is optimistic doesn't mean they can't be objective also. There's no doubt that the Rangers are not a perfect club. But I think your blanket statement that everyone else in the division is better is unfounded.

I've actually pointed out strengths and weaknesses. You only looked at weaknesses and failed to look at weaknesses of the other teams in the division. The Rangers don't exist in a vacuum.

Txbroadcaster
04-24-2013, 04:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-spring-to-life-after-offseason-lull-044456034.html

Macarthur
04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-spring-to-life-after-offseason-lull-044456034.html

He must be a sunshine pumping homer. :)

regaleagle
04-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Tonite's the rubber match with the Angels. We'll see how the Rangers perform in this one. I'm betting it's another close one.

Tejastrue
04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Not so close it seems.. Angels will need a TD, Xtra pt, and a field goal to win now but it's only the top of the 4th as the Rangers put up 9 in the inning. I think the Angels are on their 4th pitcher now. Go Rangers!

regaleagle
04-24-2013, 11:08 PM
I'll be curious to see how the Angels do against Darvish with such a deficit to make up. They'll be swinging at the fences the rest of the game....instead of just trying to get back into the game. Darvish looks really sharp tonite, anyway. The Angels bullpen is slim pickens right now. I believe the Rangers pitching is much better overall than that of the Angels. Houston beat the Mariners badly tonite. Good for the 'Stros and good for the Rangers.

Txbroadcaster
04-25-2013, 08:23 AM
another series win...both times against Angels they have won 2 out of 3

Macarthur
04-25-2013, 08:44 AM
I'll be curious to see how the Angels do against Darvish with such a deficit to make up. They'll be swinging at the fences the rest of the game....instead of just trying to get back into the game. Darvish looks really sharp tonite, anyway. The Angels bullpen is slim pickens right now. I believe the Rangers pitching is much better overall than that of the Angels. Houston beat the Mariners badly tonite. Good for the 'Stros and good for the Rangers.

And the tough part for the Angles is that they don't have any help coming for the pen. It's not like they have some guys injured that will be back at some point. What they have is what they have.

They could possibly make a trade but I saw a report during spring training that the Angels have one of the worst farm systems in all of baseball so they really don't have many chips to trade. I think they're upper management should really be called into question for how they put this pitching staff together, and specifically their extremely poor bullpen.

Txbroadcaster
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
So according to FF the Rangers are going to go like 66-82 the rest of the way

coach
04-25-2013, 10:12 AM
And he is willing to bet his prediction with anyone else.

Buckeye1980
04-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Am I wrong or are these Rangers who everyone sees a vastly unimproved are tied with Boston for the best record in American League and the second best record in baseball? Many team would ove to be so bad.

ethsfbnut
04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Rangers pick up 3rd straight win. Grimm throws great game. Bats heat up but only produce 4 runs in 4-3 win over Twins.

Kinda like how it`s going right now. Go RANGERS!

Farmersfan
04-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Math isn't your forte' I guess TXB? I think the number you looking for is 64-73 the rest of the way. 9 games under .500 for the rest of the season doesn't seem out of the question to me.

Tejastrue
04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Rangers have lost two in a row..being shut out in both games. They cling to life in 1st place of the AL West. The gloomy prediction begins to unfold. :1popcorn:

Tejastrue
04-29-2013, 04:01 PM
check that..Rangers had 2 runs on Saturday. :doh:

regaleagle
04-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Does this mean I'll hafta wear my Houston hat instead??? I sure hope I can wear 'em both, but methinks the Ranger one will be donned all season long. My Cowboys Superbowl hat of the Jimmy Johnson era is still just sittin' there gaining a measure of dust. And heck, I've lost quite a bit of hair since those days. Thank goodness the Rangers keep me in the shade every summer now, huh? GO RANGERS! My head can't stand the heat, lol.

Tejastrue
05-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Beltre...we need you man.

Farmersfan
05-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Rangers have lost 4 out of the last 5 with Boston on the horizon for 3 games. I don't think they will continue to lose at this pace but is this the beginning of the long slide that I predicted? Stay tuned.....

Tejastrue
05-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Napoli has certainly resurged. :bigcry: Kind of like his 1st year with the Rangers. We'll be okay. Go Rangers!!

Farmersfan
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Napoli has certainly resurged. :bigcry: Kind of like his 1st year with the Rangers. We'll be okay. Go Rangers!!

Seems like every single time I watch a highlight from another team I hear about how great a ex-Ranger is doing. Chris Davis and Napoli to name a few. And BTW: I think CJ Wilson is undefeated on that horrible Angels team right now.

Tejastrue
05-03-2013, 04:08 PM
I really liked Davis. Moreland's success at the time made it easier to trade him. I'm glad he is doing well and sad it's for another team. The Rangers knew what they had and I don't think Wash wanted this to happen. I just hope Moreland can pick it up and make the sting of losing Davis a little easier to bear. We have nothing to show for that trade as it stands now.

A little flashback..

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Chris-Davis-Texas-Rangers-Baltimore-Orioles-trade-Victor-Martinez-Prince-Fielder-Lyle-Overbay-040813

Cam
05-03-2013, 04:13 PM
....how bout that Grimm boy?....:2thumbsup

ethsfbnut
05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Ranger bats are not producing. Beltre and Murphy two of most noticeble. Believe they will come around. Pitching was looking ok but the young`uns have had a little slide. I`ll go out on a limb and say Rangers will come back and win Bosox series.

GO RANGERS!!!

Tejastrue
05-03-2013, 10:49 PM
One down. Holland looked awesome tonight and Beltre came through bigtime. Napoli looked fitter and has slimmed down a bit. He was thankfully not a factor tonight.

Tejastrue
05-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Two down.. Ogando was great. Bullpen did its job...Gentry had a big night and both the Angels and A's lost. Sweet.

regaleagle
05-05-2013, 12:02 AM
The Rangers are now 19-11 on the season so far.....pretty good considering the bats have been dormant. I'm also very aware the Angels and A's both have very good ballclubs. The AL West will prove to be a tough division this season, IMO. The head to heads will be very significant all season long.

Cam
05-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Two down.. Ogando was great. Bullpen did its job...Gentry had a big night and both the Angels and A's lost. Sweet.

.....and Napoli got beaned!...hehehehe......

ethsfbnut
05-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Two pretty good pitched games against Bosox. And the hitting has come back. Man, Kinsler is killing it and Moreland ain`t far behind. Even Beltre is coming out of his unusual slump and Gentry does so many "little" things. Maybe things are getting back to "normal". Need Yu to throw a good one today.

Like was said, the western div games are going to be difference. Got to win div game series.

Tejastrue
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
It's a sweep. Nice bottom of the 9th win!

regaleagle
05-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Darvish strikes out 14 in a battle with Boston's best lefty John Lester as they win in the 9th on a walk-off hit by Beltre. This was a well-pitched ballgame by both clubs, but the Rangers outhit the Red Sox again today for the win. They allowed Boston only 4 runs in 3 games. It was a good game to watch. Rangers closer Joe Nathan struggled in the 9th, but got thru the inning unscathed after 2 batters reached with the game tied. The Rangers are now 20-11, a stellar start that has surprised the proletariate in baseball. The Angels and the A's both won today, also....but gained no ground on these Texas Rangers.

ethsfbnut
05-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Very good series for Rangers. Not winning in spectacular way, but doing it in "grind it out" fashion. Well maybe a little spectacular, but getting good pitching and timely hitting.

Am really enjoying struggles of Angels, but they will probably get it turned around.

Cam
05-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Interesting.....

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/fox-sports-networks/story/Rangers-show-baseballs-best-could-be-in-?blockID=899449&feedID=4519

Txbroadcaster
05-06-2013, 05:02 PM
math isn't your forte' i guess txb? I think the number you looking for is 64-73 the rest of the way. 9 games under .500 for the rest of the season doesn't seem out of the question to me.

shaddup lol

Tejastrue
05-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Not so good in Chicago tonight. Rangers hate the cold.

Tejastrue
05-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Rangers visit Astros for a weekend series. :wave:Saggy

Tejastrue
05-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Rangers take game one 4-2. Nathan gets his 10th save in as many chances.

Tejastrue
05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Tepesch looked back in the groove today as the Rangers sweep the Stros. Hey Farmersfan, you still sticking to that prediction?

lostaussie
05-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Rangers are fun this year. Need to get me a weekend picked out to go enjoy some of it myself.

Farmersfan
05-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Tepesch looked back in the groove today as the Rangers sweep the Stros. Hey Farmersfan, you still sticking to that prediction?

Really? You are aware that the Astro are the worst team in baseball, right? But I do have to admit I was impressed with the way the the Rangers handled business against the Red Sox. I didn't expect that. I also thought the Angels would be coming to life by now but it seems they are actually getting worse. But yea, I am still going to stand by my prediction of a 80 win season for the Rangers. AJ is already seeing time off for physical problems and Birkman's average is going south in a hurry. (hitting 250 in the last 10). Some of the newbies seems to have really stepped up though so it might not be as big a loss to sit those guys as I originally thought. But should make for a fun season.

Macarthur
05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
But yea, I am still going to stand by my prediction of a 80 win season for the Rangers.

You do realize that means they will need to go 55-70 the remaining games for your prediction to be correct? You sticking with that?

Tejastrue
05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Really? You are aware that the Astro are the worst team in baseball, right? But I do have to admit I was impressed with the way the the Rangers handled business against the Red Sox. I didn't expect that. I also thought the Angels would be coming to life by now but it seems they are actually getting worse. But yea, I am still going to stand by my prediction of a 80 win season for the Rangers. AJ is already seeing time off for physical problems and Birkman's average is going south in a hurry. (hitting 250 in the last 10). Some of the newbies seems to have really stepped up though so it might not be as big a loss to sit those guys as I originally thought. But should make for a fun season.

Yes sir, the rookie Tepesch looked good. I don't care who the opposing team is, they are still major league hitters. Stros are a young, scrappy bunch and took 2 of 3 from the Angels (thank you Stros) right before the Rangers came to town. Berkman will be fine. Had a double with 2 rbi yesterday and a couple of hits including a hr the day before. Checked Hamilton's average lately?

coach
05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes sir, the rookie Tepesch looked good. I don't care who the opposing team is, they are still major league hitters. Stros are a young, scrappy bunch and took 2 of 3 from the Angels (thank you Stros) right before the Rangers came to town. Berkman will be fine. Had a double with 2 rbi yesterday and a couple of hits including a hr the day before. Checked Hamilton's average lately?

I just wish that washington would realize how much bemter this lineup would be with elvis leading off and kinsler batting 2nd

ethsfbnut
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
I just wish that washington would realize how much bemter this lineup would be with elvis leading off and kinsler batting 2nd

Agree with Elvis leading off. Thought he`s better lead off hitter for couple years. Kinsler`s power would be better lower in order. Btw Kinsler looks like he`s shaken whatever was wrong last year.

Loss last night kind of troubling just for the fact of what happened last year. But do like this years version more than last. And Wash is playing the back ups more and giving regs rest.

Still a whole bunch of ball to be played. The damn Angels are still back there and can`t believe they are this bad. Loving it for now.

coach
05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Agree with Elvis leading off. Thought he`s better lead off hitter for couple years. Kinsler`s power would be better lower in order. Btw Kinsler looks like he`s shaken whatever was wrong last year.

Loss last night kind of troubling just for the fact of what happened last year. But do like this years version more than last. And Wash is playing the back ups more and giving regs rest.

Still a whole bunch of ball to be played. The damn Angels are still back there and can`t believe they are this bad. Loving it for now.

I can see in hitting no lower than 3. his bat is too good for the bottom of the order.

I like this years roster better when healthy. If we can get our pitchers healthy, watch out!

There is a ton of ball to be played, and i would like to see profar play in the majors.

Red&White_9x5
05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
I can see in hitting no lower than 3. his bat is too good for the bottom of the order.

I like this years roster better when healthy. If we can get our pitchers healthy, watch out!

There is a ton of ball to be played, and i would like to see profar play in the majors.

A lot of what I read now has Profar as trade bait, unless Kinsler or Elvis get hurt. The Rangers have really put themselves between a rock and a hard place on the issue. They gave long term deals to Ian and Elvis while you have the #1 overall prospect in all of baseball sitting in Triple A. If nothing changes by the trade deadline, Profar will be traded off

Rabid Cougar
05-14-2013, 02:02 PM
A lot of what I read now has Profar as trade bait, unless Kinsler or Elvis get hurt. The Rangers have really put themselves between a rock and a hard place on the issue. They gave long term deals to Ian and Elvis while you have the #1 overall prospect in all of baseball sitting in Triple A. If nothing changes by the trade deadline, Profar will be traded off

Last I checked Profar is not exactly burning it up in Round Rock.

Farmersfan
05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
You do realize that means they will need to go 55-70 the remaining games for your prediction to be correct? You sticking with that?

As of right now they would need to go 56-68 for the rest of the season. That seems like a major fall off to go from 10 games over .500 ball to 12 games under .500 the rest of the way doesn't it? But I really felt the Angels would begin their run and take most of the remaining games against the Rangers and I thought the A's were a much better team. I also considered the Rangers have +10 wins over their division foes who I mentioned above. +5 over the Astros, +3 over the Angels and the Mariners. The Rangers are basically .500 against everybody else. But i do have to admit they are performing far better than I expected. But I said it so I will stick by it and take my lumps if I need to. But thanks for bringing it up! :thmbdwn:

Macarthur
05-14-2013, 02:54 PM
As of right now they would need to go 56-68 for the rest of the season. That seems like a major fall off to go from 10 games over .500 ball to 12 games under .500 the rest of the way doesn't it? But I really felt the Angels would begin their run and take most of the remaining games against the Rangers and I thought the A's were a much better team. I also considered the Rangers have +10 wins over their division foes who I mentioned above. +5 over the Astros, +3 over the Angels and the Mariners. The Rangers are basically .500 against everybody else. But i do have to admit they are performing far better than I expected. But I said it so I will stick by it and take my lumps if I need to. But thanks for bringing it up! :thmbdwn:

:p

Tejastrue
05-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Rangers are in a close one tonight. Moreland hits another HR. Dude is killing the ball.

ethsfbnut
05-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Rangers pull it out in 10th despite Nathan getting into big trouble. Moreland`s hr after Beltre`s hr in top of 10th really looked good after Nathan`s struggles. Got to win these kind of games. Wild one.

Tejastrue
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Just heard Rangers are leading after 5 in Oakland 6-0. Ogando must be pitching well.

Tejastrue
05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Detroit in town tonight. Should be a great matchup with Darvish and Verlander. Go Rangers.

Roughneck93
05-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Read that Ogando has been placed on the DL. :thmbdwn:

Tejastrue
05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Read that Ogando has been placed on the DL. :thmbdwn:

I saw that. Not heard who we'll bring up if any. I think Colby Lewis is real close to coming back.

As far as tonight's game...Verlander is already out and Darvish is also struggling. So much for a great matchup. At least the Rangers are leading 8-4..top of the 4th.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-16-2013, 08:46 PM
I saw that. Not heard who we'll bring up if any. I think Colby Lewis is real close to coming back.

As far as tonight's game...Verlander is already out and Darvish is also struggling. So much for a great matchup. At least the Rangers are leading 8-4..top of the 4th.Think it was Cory Burn from Round Rock they brought up.

Didn't like Ogando being use as a starter when they made the switch a year ago and still don't, same thing with Feliz. They're dominating relievers that can go the whole season without going on the dl, it didn't take long for both to have arm injuries once they became starters. Ogando will remain a starter most likely but sure would look much better in the reliever role.

regaleagle
05-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I agree. I think Ogando is the perfect middle reliever type. With his stuff, he can extend the bull pen to greatly benefit the Rangers in the long run. He's good for 3 innings most of the time in this role. Not sure about being a closer, but middle relief to closer is a more natural progression if needed.

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 08:30 AM
The Rangers pull out the win against the Tigers. Good win for sure. I have maintained all along that the Rangers are 10 games over .500 because they have only played 4 games against .500 teams or better. But damn, they are 4-0 against those .500+ teams..................... 3-0 against the Red Sox and now 1-0 against the Tigers. Go Rangers! Make me eat my words................

Deuce
05-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Good win, but not sure why Wash would leave Yu in to throw 130 pitches with a big lead.

Tejastrue
05-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Bullpen has been used quite a bit lately so he was trying to rest a few arms. No off day for a week.

Farmersfan
05-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Good win, but not sure why Wash would leave Yu in to throw 130 pitches with a big lead.

Could come back to bite him in the arse later in the season. those innings add up.

Tejastrue
05-17-2013, 02:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnw/mlb/9285573/texas-rangers-manager-ron-washington-defends-yu-darvish-pitch-count

Tejastrue
05-17-2013, 03:51 PM
The epitome of the head first slide. Thanks Ian

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/ian-kinsler-shows-us-worst-head-first-slide-181541598.html

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ke9FdKAVGOxf6UEK6K9Ygw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTUwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2013-05-17/50f50e81-c085-42a2-ad52-73d82875393b_kinslerslide.gif

Cam
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
When is Neftali coming back?

Tejastrue
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
When is Neftali coming back?

Hopefully right after the all-star break. Saw where Lewis had a set-back a couple of days ago. Not expected back until June.

Tejastrue
05-19-2013, 10:08 PM
See-saw battle so far in Arlington tonight. Rangers lead 9-7 bottom of 7th.

Kinsler put on the DL. :bigcry: Nice though to be able to call up the #1 prospect (subjective) in all of baseball to replace him.

Tejastrue
05-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Rangers take 3 out of 4 from the Tigers..final 11-8. Oakland back in town tomorrow night, no time to breathe. Go Rangers!

regaleagle
05-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Got to hand it to Cabrera, though. He almost single-handedly sunk the Rangers ship tonite with the 3 homers....and that's with most of the team hitting and scoring lots of runs. Looks to me like those Tigers may be around come playoff time, huh? Taking 3 of 4 from them at this juncture is great medicine for the chemistry of this particular mixture of Ranger players. With so many of them in and out of the lineup so early with the injuries, these early series wins against the better teams may make a difference later on.

Farmersfan
05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Got to hand it to Cabrera, though. He almost single-handedly sunk the Rangers ship tonite with the 3 homers....and that's with most of the team hitting and scoring lots of runs. Looks to me like those Tigers may be around come playoff time, huh? Taking 3 of 4 from them at this juncture is great medicine for the chemistry of this particular mixture of Ranger players. With so many of them in and out of the lineup so early with the injuries, these early series wins against the better teams may make a difference later on.

Cabrera is quite a player. Scares the hell out of me every time he comes to the plate. Wanna take odds that he is juiced?

waterboy
05-20-2013, 08:44 AM
I know Cabrera is one of the best hitters of all-time already, but did it not sound like a man-crush by all of the ESPN crew? They were slobbering all over themselves over him. Cabrera this.... Cabrera that...., it got old pretty fast. He does make an opponent anxious when he's at bat for sure, and I'll have to admit that he IS the best offensive player in the league, and has been for the last 2 to 3 years, but geeeesssshh.....give it a rest. Announce the game and stop drooling over him. By the way, Cabrera hits 3 HRs, drives in 5 runs, and his team STILL loses. Give credit where credit is due.....the Rangers are a better "team" right now. That could change before season's end, but I wouldn't count on it.

Farmersfan
05-20-2013, 08:58 AM
I know Cabrera is one of the best hitters of all-time already, but did it not sound like a man-crush by all of the ESPN crew? They were slobbering all over themselves over him. Cabrera this.... Cabrera that...., it got old pretty fast. He does make an opponent anxious when he's at bat for sure, and I'll have to admit that he IS the best offensive player in the league, and has been for the last 2 to 3 years, but geeeesssshh.....give it a rest. Announce the game and stop drooling over him. By the way, Cabrera hits 3 HRs, drives in 5 runs, and his team STILL loses. Give credit where credit is due.....the Rangers are a better "team" right now. That could change before season's end, but I wouldn't count on it.

The same thing I was thinking watching Sportscenter. If I had not watched the game myself I would have thought through the entire segment that the Tigers had won the game. It wasn't until after 2 minutes of the "Cabrera" suckfest that they mentioned in passing that the Rangers had won the game.

Rabid Cougar
05-20-2013, 09:05 AM
The same thing I was thinking watching Sportscenter. If I had not watched the game myself I would have thought through the entire segment that the Tigers had won the game. It wasn't until after 2 minutes of the "Cabrera" suckfest that they mentioned in passing that the Rangers had won the game.

No question he is the "zone" right now. They kept harping on the left fielders defensive misques but pretty much glossed over Cabrera's.

Macarthur
05-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Hopefully right after the all-star break. Saw where Lewis had a set-back a couple of days ago. Not expected back until June.

I think Feliz is probably closer to August. Soria could be back after the AS break. Colby is pitching a rehab start right now, as we speak.

Bob Nightengale had an interesting stat this morning. The Rangers are 10-3 against teams that are above .500. I think we can dismiss their good start due to a weak schedule. The is a very good baseball team that has some health on the horizon and they have their powder dry if they want to make a move.

Bullaholic
05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
That was a non-boring, fun baseball game to watch lastnight--and the good guys won, too.

Farmersfan
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I think Feliz is probably closer to August. Soria could be back after the AS break. Colby is pitching a rehab start right now, as we speak.

Bob Nightengale had an interesting stat this morning. The Rangers are 10-3 against teams that are above .500. I think we can dismiss their good start due to a weak schedule. The is a very good baseball team that has some health on the horizon and they have their powder dry if they want to make a move.

There are only 7 teams in MLB who have had a easier schedule so far this season than the Rangers. And none of them are in the AL. The Rangers are ranked #23 out of 30 teams in opponent power ranking. The last 4 games against the Tigers are what actually moved them from #30 to #23. So although they have done a pretty good job against the +.500 teams in limited games they have also played the exact same record against non .500 teams. And the hardest part of the schedule is coming up.
Just keeping it in perspective for you.

http://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Macarthur
05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
There are only 7 teams in MLB who have had a easier schedule so far this season than the Rangers. And none of them are in the AL. The Rangers are ranked #23 out of 30 teams in opponent power ranking. The last 4 games against the Tigers are what actually moved them from #30 to #23. So although they have done a pretty good job against the +.500 teams in limited games they have also played the exact same record against non .500 teams. And the hardest part of the schedule is coming up.

Understood. You can only play the teams that are on the schedule.

Tejastrue
05-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Bob Nightengale had an interesting stat this morning. The Rangers are 10-3 against teams that are above .500. I think we can dismiss their good start due to a weak schedule. The is a very good baseball team that has some health
on the horizon and they have their powder dry if they want to make a move.

His rehab today had mixed results. I'm sure he hated pitching in the morning.

http://www.lonestarball.com/2013/5/20/4348514/colby-lewis-throws-47-pitches-in-rehab-start

Cam
05-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Cabrera is quite a player. Scares the hell out of me every time he comes to the plate. Wanna take odds that he is juiced?

He juices?.....Wonder if he uses the Jack LaLanne model?......I bought one of them things and didn't like it...too big & hard to clean....:crazy1:

movethechain
05-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Nah. Bonds wasn't juiced either, or so we were told. Neither was McGwire, Clemens, Palmero, and on and on and on and ...

defense51
05-20-2013, 06:31 PM
He juices?.....Wonder if he uses the Jack LaLanne model?......I bought one of them things and didn't like it...too big & hard to clean....:crazy1:

I bought one at Costco, used it for about six weeks and never came close to looking as good as Jack Lalanne did in his eighties and I was 39 at the time. :foul:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Cabrera is quite a player. Scares the hell out of me every time he comes to the plate. Wanna take odds that he is juiced?It's more like he has laser eye vision. Ball must be coming slow motion to him and it's like he's hitting it off a tee.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Washington has no intention in using Profar much while Kinsler is out. Hoping Profar gets hot when he gets his chance to start and force Washington to reconsider Profar spot in the major league roster.

movethechain
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
It's more like he has laser eye vision. Ball must be coming slow motion to him and it's like he's hitting it off a tee.

Certain "juices" are known to enhance time, speed and depth perception.

Tejastrue
05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Rangers get a well deserved day off. See where they released Lowe. Sure liked what I saw from Wolf and Cotts yesterday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-release-lowe-add-teahen-180318588--mlb.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-top-3-1-wolfs-204640465--mlb.html

coach
05-24-2013, 12:55 PM

They have had the worst injury bug in baseball. They have 2 starting pitchers that havebt been on the dl. they are using aa pitchers and beating everybody.

Cam
05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I bought one at Costco, used it for about six weeks and never came close to looking as good as Jack Lalanne did in his eighties and I was 39 at the time. :foul:

Shoot!....I've never come close to lookin' as good as his white German Shepherds much less ol' Jack!............

Tejastrue
05-25-2013, 08:23 PM
They have had the worst injury bug in baseball. They have 2 starting pitchers that havebt been on the dl. they are using aa pitchers and beating everybody.

Seems like whoever they throw in there is getting the job done. I think we all know eventually there has to be some stability with the starting rotation but kudos to our farm system and the bullpen.

Angels are starting to click but have gained little ground so that's a good thing. Holland against 'King' Felix tonight. Go Rangers!

Tejastrue
05-25-2013, 11:46 PM
What's up with King Felix and his hat? Can't believe the league has left this alone for so long.

movethechain
05-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Maybe his head is just shaped funny. Really, I think he is trying to project a 'tude, like with the big tat on his neck.

movethechain
05-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Or, were you talking about the sweat stains?

Tejastrue
05-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe his head is just shaped funny. Really, I think he is trying to project a 'tude, like with the big tat on his neck.

Yep.

Ever noticed when he is pitching well the hat slides a little more to the side. Not so much last night.

ethsfbnut
05-30-2013, 07:51 AM
The sky`s falling. Rangers can`t hit. Can`t pitch. A`s can`t lose. Damn Angels getting it together. Season`s over.

Maybe the two days off will help.

waterboy
05-30-2013, 10:42 AM
It's definitely not the end of the world for the Rangers, but they will have to right the ship quickly to maintain their lead in the AL West. For the first time all season they have lost 3 games in-a-row. It starts getting righted today at 1 PM! Go Rangers!

Tejastrue
05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
So far so good today. Go Rangers!

Tejastrue
05-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Nice 7-2 win tonight over KC. Holland goes 7 complete giving up 1 earned. Just need the double A's to lose tonight.

Tejastrue
06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Those dang A's are knocking on the door.

This guy tries to justify trading Profar. Just fodder if you ask me. I do see the Rangers going after another pitcher though. Will giving up Profar be worth it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/james-shields-joining-texas-rangers-possibility-151500115.html

regaleagle
06-06-2013, 12:45 AM
No, Profar stays a Ranger for this season for sure. They need the depth and want to give him a season before making any move concerning him. There is young talent besides Profar that can be used as trade bait for quality pitching, if needed. The Rangers got by Boston tonite with a good showing by Ogando in his first game back off an extended stay on the DL. The series is now split at (1-1) going into tomorrow's final game of the series in Boston. Both pitching staffs today did well, but the Rangers may have to put Moreland on the DL tomorrow. He's been one of the most productive hitters on the team the last 5-6 weeks, so this comes at a bad time for the Rangers.....whose bats are not exactly "on fire" right now. After hitting another shot against the Green Monster and caroming off for a "would-be" easy triple, he pulled up lame going to 2nd and had to leave the game. Kinsler was similarly the "hot" bat when he went on the DL, and his bat has definitely been missed in the lineup. Now with Moreland injured and an eminent Nelson Cruz suspension for 100 games, things are suddenly looking differently for the second half of the season in the AL West. Stay tuned to the developments. The Rangers may start to struggle after the All-Star break.

Tejastrue
06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
May be a chance to bring Olt back up. I kind of doubt it though. He apparently had some vision issues that was affecting him at the plate. It was said that has been corrected.

Man..it seems we get one back then lose another. Have to tip your hat to the Rangers and Wash for staying focused and still winning through this adversity. I just don't see that changing. After the all-star break is when several key people should be back. There is that unknown factor though. Go Rangers.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Kirkman gets hit hard again, Red Sox make quick work of him. That's one spot in the bullpen the Rangers will need to fill down the stretch.

Tejastrue
06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Absolutely. He has been hit hard consistantly. Still, great ballgame. If you don't like Big Poppy then you don't like baseball.

Tejastrue
06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
The Draft...

Rangers take Alex Gonzales..RH pitcher from Oral Roberts. 23rd overall.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4900319/rangers-draft-rhp-alex-gonzalez-23rd

D'Highlander
06-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Kirkman gets hit hard again, Red Sox make quick work of him. That's one spot in the bullpen the Rangers will need to fill down the stretch.

Will Neffy go to the pen when he returns?

waterboy
06-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Kirkman needs to go back down to AAA and get his act together, in my opinion.

Macarthur
06-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Absolutely. He has been hit hard consistantly. Still, great ballgame. If you don't like Big Poppy then you don't like baseball.

I love baseball and I hate Big Poppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0LmIQnhgc

I don't like that he gets away with this type of thing. Most guys in the league would get drilled for doing this.

Tejastrue
06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Really? Just what exactly did he do wrong there? He knew it was gone and threw his bat aside. Gonna need a little more than that. Seen many a hitter do far worse.

Macarthur
06-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Really? Just what exactly did he do wrong there? He knew it was gone and threw his bat aside. Gonna need a little more than that. Seen many a hitter do far worse.

I've seen worst too. That doesn't make what he did okay. He does it quite a bit too. Nellie Cruz gets hit on a regular basis because he's a guy that is known to take too long of a look. Poppy doesn't because he's poppy. There has been an unwritten rule in baseball for decades that you don't showboat. You almost never see pitchers use emotion when they strike someone out. Sometimes when it's a high tension part of the game, you may get a fist pump, but that's it.

Why is it okay for hitters to flip their bat in a cool way and stare down the pitcher, yet it's poor taste for a pitcher to break dance when he gets a strikeout?

Macarthur
06-07-2013, 12:53 PM
And let's not forget this is a guy that has tested postiive for steroids and did the dog an pony show of I must have taken suppliments crap. All that after he was quoted as saying that anyone that tests positive should be suspended for a full season. Hmmmm.

YOu can certainly think that my assestment of his showboating is nitpicking, but for someone to say that if you don't like that clown, you must not like baseball is way too strong of a statement.

Tejastrue
06-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Are you serious? It was a figure of speech. Do you know what that is? I like the guy. Does not mean you are required to do so. Still putting up the numbers. For you to take that as personal as you appear to have done speaks voulmes of where you are at right now. I'll take this next comment from your own book. Get over yourself.

Farmersfan
06-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Are you serious? It was a figure of speech. Do you know what that is? I like the guy. Does not mean you are required to do so. Still putting up the numbers. For you to take that as personal as you appear to have done speaks voulmes of where you are at right now. I'll take this next comment from your own book. Get over yourself.

Tejastrue! If you don't love the Dallas Cowboys then you can't love football!!! :tongue:

Tejastrue
06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
The unfortunate thing is I do love the Cowboys. It's a curse I think. :bigcry:

Tejastrue
06-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Rangers officially out of the division lead. I think it's time for the A's to cool off..okay, that is my hope anyways.

regaleagle
06-08-2013, 01:50 AM
The Rangers look to have alot of great young players and a fairly bright future IF they can hold on to them. The mix right now of older good players and younger good players will keep them in the playoff scenario for this year....maybe. Beltre is a dadgum anomoly at his position and at the plate for so many years.....what do you do with him in the next few years??? Kinsler is solid at 2nd and at the plate, and he and Elvis work well together. Mitch Moreland at first seems to be coming around better than most expected at first, and his hitting is really improved for the first half of this season. Cruz in right is the weakest of the outfielders, but swings a big bat.....he may not be swinging at all for the rest of the season.....he's trade bait(next year). Murphy is a good player to have on the club, but not really a great bat for an outfielder....there's tons of those guys out there. Gentry has speed and range at center, but his bat is lacking.....other younger talent may push ahead of him. Profar is a star in the making and should be locked down and not traded. this will be Berkman's first and last season as a Ranger if Jon Daniels isn't crazy(he ain't). The Rangers have already given up 2 or 3 good catchers...Saltimachhia & Nopoli the most recent ones....so they need to work on that position. The pitching staff when reasonably healthy looks good for later this season, and into the near future....if you have a crystal ball. I think the Rangers are moving toward a "younger" club similar to that of the A's, but will have some tough choices to make later this year and in the off-season. Their window of opportunity to win a World Series has closed with the personnel they have now, imo. I think JD and ownership are aware of this now, and will work this season to set up a competitive younger team on the field and in the clubhouse for next season if things go sideways after the All-Star break. Any comments???

Macarthur
06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Eagle, there are lots of formulas offensively to getthe job done but one constant to win big is starting pitching. I still think they need another stud to sit along side Yu. I would make a push for cliff lee. Lee and Yu together make them a very formidable playoff foe.

Offense in the playoffs is about timely hitting so averages and that type of stuff really don't matter as much in the playoffs. I think the rangers, when healthy, have enough offense.

Go get cliff.

Macarthur
06-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Rangers officially out of the division lead. I think it's time for the A's to cool off..okay, that is my hope anyways.

No kidding. How the hell are the A's doing this?

Tejastrue
06-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I can name one guy on that team and that is Coco Crisp. Obvious reason for that one. Billy Ball is alive and well in Oakland.

Tejastrue
06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
The Rangers look to have alot of great young players and a fairly bright future IF they can hold on to them. The mix right now of older good players and younger good players will keep them in the playoff scenario for this year....maybe. Beltre is a dadgum anomoly at his position and at the plate for so many years.....what do you do with him in the next few years??? Kinsler is solid at 2nd and at the plate, and he and Elvis work well together. Mitch Moreland at first seems to be coming around better than most expected at first, and his hitting is really improved for the first half of this season. Cruz in right is the weakest of the outfielders, but swings a big bat.....he may not be swinging at all for the rest of the season.....he's trade bait(next year). Murphy is a good player to have on the club, but not really a great bat for an outfielder....there's tons of those guys out there. Gentry has speed and range at center, but his bat is lacking.....other younger talent may push ahead of him. Profar is a star in the making and should be locked down and not traded. this will be Berkman's first and last season as a Ranger if Jon Daniels isn't crazy(he ain't). The Rangers have already given up 2 or 3 good catchers...Saltimachhia & Nopoli the most recent ones....so they need to work on that position. The pitching staff when reasonably healthy looks good for later this season, and into the near future....if you have a crystal ball. I think the Rangers are moving toward a "younger" club similar to that of the A's, but will have some tough choices to make later this year and in the off-season. Their window of opportunity to win a World Series has closed with the personnel they have now, imo. I think JD and ownership are aware of this now, and will work this season to set up a competitive younger team on the field and in the clubhouse for next season if things go sideways after the All-Star break. Any comments???

I think any team needs that veteran presence which we have with Berkman, Nathan and Pierzynski. You can say Berkman is comparable to a Michael Young in the clubhouse. I'm not very familiar with the A's but I doubt they have that and I think it hurts them come playoff time. I agree that we'll need to address the catcher position.

Tejastrue
06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Eagle, there are lots of formulas offensively to getthe job done but one constant to win big is starting pitching. I still think they need another stud to sit along side Yu. I would make a push for cliff lee. Lee and Yu together make them a very formidable playoff foe.

Offense in the playoffs is about timely hitting so averages and that type of stuff really don't matter as much in the playoffs. I think the rangers, when healthy, have enough offense.

Go get cliff.

I agree with all of this.

regaleagle
06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Watching the game today against Toronto, the Rangers have the bases loaded with one out and Berkie on third, tied in the top of the 10th. What's Berkman still doing on 3rd in this situation with all that speed on the bench??? Alas, a fly ball to right and Berkie attempts to tag up and score....the SLOWEST runner on the team, mind you. He was thrown out by a mile to end the threat. These are the kind of decisions that to me as a longtime baseball fan and former player makes me want to throw up. If you want to win, then you HAVE to pinch run Berkie at third in that situaltion....just for a situation that might occur and did in this instance. Now, whether the Rangers go on to win this game or not is not the issue. They've already dropped at least 3 games in the past month I can recall watching on poor base running decisions, not to mention coaching lapses.
'

Tejastrue
06-08-2013, 03:20 PM
No way they send him on that. Rangers are a bit limited at who they can play at first.

regaleagle
06-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Yep, if Moreland was healthy this situation probably wouldn't have come up....but it did. That's what happens when you have starters on the DL and need to depend on your bench. But that's also the answer to your question of how the A's are where they are right now....they don't have as many players injured and are playing quality ball, not making these kinds of mistakes that over a long season can add up....and do add up.

Tejastrue
06-08-2013, 07:05 PM
18 innings and a loss. Tough pill to swallow. That Toronto bullpen has some quality people. Rangers not too shabby. Just too many chances not to cash in for the Ranger hitters. We may officially be in a slump.

Tejastrue
06-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Rangers slip back into 1st. Thank you Jose Bautista and that tantrum. Took the sails completely out of that 9th inning rally. Oakland has lost two in a row now. Here's to a major slide for them A's. lol

Necked
06-09-2013, 10:11 PM
They are in a tough stretch with all these injuries. A good sign is how they bounced back from two tough losses on this road trip to Boston & Toronto with solid wins...

Tejastrue
06-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I hear you. They go with another patchwork rotation pitcher tonight with Lindblom.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Going to try and make it to a game in next couple of days. If i can ever leave CC airport on 3rd delay with plane finally leaving dallas 30 mins ago.

ethsfbnut
06-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Good win last nite. Lindblom pitched pretty good game and got good relief pitching. Also some timely hitting. Lindblom should get another start.

Tejastrue
06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
The Rangers have agreed to terms with nine of their first 10 draft picks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-sign-both-1st-round-002353303--mlb.html

Tejastrue
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I know it's still early. Just having a little fun with this while I still can...

Rangers
Jeff Baker- Utility

Avg. 333 9 HR 16 RBI 13 runs
AB 78 OBP 409 SLG 731 OPS 1.140

Angels
Josh Hamilton RF

Avg. 216 9 HR 20 RBI 31 runs
AB 241 OBP 275 SLG 390 OPS 894

Tejastrue
06-11-2013, 09:28 PM
I think if I see one more Ranger base running blunder I'll be buying myself a new big screen. Just don't know how I could justify to the wife a larger tv is necessary...especially if she sees the remote bullseyed right thru the center of the old one. On to the Spurs game. Hope they can cheer me up. lol...

regaleagle
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
The Rangers seem to be having a little trouble with the Indians this series. The pitching hasn't been that great, but neither has the hitting. They just look a little blah right now as a team....kinda tired-looking with no real zip in their steps. I guess most teams go thru periods like this several times in a season, and we're seeing it right now with the Rangers. I would like to see some of the younger players start picking up the team with some hustle, good plays in the field, and some production at the plate. That's just not happening so far. But if they want to hold on to the division lead, those players that are being given a chance to play need to step up now.

Tejastrue
06-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Rangers lose 5th straight. :ack!: Some consolation is the A's have cooled off just a bit. Kinsler finally back. Hope he can help spark the team out of their hitting funk. Go Rangers!

regaleagle
06-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Right now my main attention has shifted to the US Open this weekend, but I'm hoping the Rangers bats will awaken today on Father's Day out of their slumber to lay the lumber that has been missing of late. The A's had a good run, winning 21 of last 27 games, and the Angels have dropped 14 of the last 18 before coming alive in a big home win against Boston yesterday. The Rangers have Kinsler back, and Moreland will be back on 1st this upcoming week. The pitching is only going to get better with so many different players used so far due to injuries early this season. Overall, I'd say the Rangers may be positioned for a good run here in the 2nd half after the All-Star break considering the A's have already made their BIG run and the Angels have dropped so many they should have been winning for the 1st part of the season. I look for the Angels and the Rangers to eventually be in a battle for the division title, with the A's wondering what happened(their pitching is not that good). Right now, the Rangers are playing lots of personnel but haven't suffered that much, until lately. That's understandable. In the long run I think it will help this team when the long hot days of summer usually takes its toll. Maybe not so much this season, huh?

Tejastrue
06-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow..Rangers end up taking 3 of 4 from the A's with today's game ending in amazing fashion. A's runner thrown out at the plate for the final out. Awesome. Let's keep it going! Go Rangers!

D'Highlander
06-21-2013, 05:51 AM
Need to get on a roll right now...

Tejastrue
06-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow..what a boost Perez was to the starting rotation tonight for the Rangers!!

regaleagle
06-23-2013, 05:53 AM
And how about Murphy running down that ball in Friday nite's game to secure the win.....two big wins against the Cards at their house, yeeehaaaa!!!

Tejastrue
06-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Nice catch indeed. So glad Nathan was less dramatic with the save last night.

regaleagle
06-24-2013, 12:23 AM
The Rangers had a loooong rain delay in St. Louis, but have kept it tight and now have taken the lead with 2 outs in the 7th. It was 1-0 St. Louis, but the Rangers have scored 2 runs on 3 consecutive hits to make it 2-1. Now we are in the 7th inning stretch. The Rangers wanted to get this game in tonite so they can have a day off tomorrow. If it was rained out tonite, they would have played it on the Rangers day-off tomorrow, the last day off for the Rangers for quite a while. Let's hope they can close it out. I'm staying tuned in to see what happens.

regaleagle
06-24-2013, 01:17 AM
The Rangers complete the sweep of the Cards tonite in St. Louis as Nathan comes on in the 9th for the save. With a runner on second and one out, Beltre snags a hard hit line drive, extending high over his head, then doubles up the runner at 2nd to end the game in electric fashion. Beltre's gold glove at 3rd again gave the Rangers another win, this one a sweet one to payback the Cards from the 2010 Series loss....the last time these two clubs met. It was a bitter pill to swallow as the Rangers were ONE STRIKE away from winning their first World Series. For those of you that don't recall, this is the game where Nelson Cruz misplayed the deep ball against the wall in right field, giving St. Louis new life and they eventually won that game and the World Series.

PS>>>>The Cards have the best winning record in baseball right now. This was a BIG series for the Rangers in their quest for another division title, and a sweet payback to the Cards in their own park.

D'Highlander
06-24-2013, 05:43 AM
PS>>>>The Cards have the best winning record in baseball right now. This was a BIG series for the Rangers in their quest for another division title, and a sweet payback to the Cards in their own park.

This is also the first time the Cards have been swept all year. Rangers now up one game in the division.

Tejastrue
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Tepesch pitched like he did early on although he didn't get the win. I didn't think Nathan was going to get through this one. I think he has saved the last 4 games in a row. Good to see the lineup back to normal and as much as I am a Gentry fan Martin came up big last night.

Tejastrue
06-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Great story on the Rangers' AAA pitching coach.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130624&content_id=51625948&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

D'Highlander
06-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Ogando back after the AS break... more good news :clap:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4901290/buzz-ogando-likely-back-after-as-break

Tejastrue
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
What a gem Holland pitched today. 2 hit complete game shutout over those dang Yankees! Just what the bullpen ordered.

regaleagle
06-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Yep, that was a beauty by Holland and well-timed to give the bullpen arms some rest going into a 9-game Rangers homestand. They went 5 out of 6 on the roadtrip against the St. Louis Cardinals and the Yankees. Those are bigtime quality road wins against a couple of the top teams in baseball. We caught the Yankees with some injured players, but the Rangers haven't exactly been healthy so far this season, either. The one loss on the road trip came as a walk-off 9th inning homer by Ichiro on a 2-0 pitch that shouldn't have been thrown. Overall, it was an impressive and badly needed successful road trip for the Rangers as they moved back into first in the AL West with at least a half game lead over Oakland pending tonite's outcome for the A's. The Rangers get Cincy, Seattle, and Houston back in Arlington starting this weekend.

Cam
06-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Headin' to Arlington tomorrow.....I'm gonna try to catch me a foul ball from section 244.....

Tejastrue
06-28-2013, 06:43 PM
You are probably there already. Enjoy...and bring home a Ranger win.

D'Highlander
07-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Good weekend for the Rangers. Really close to a geat one if that ball hit to right on Saturday would have made it out. I guess the Jet Stream wasnt in effect.

Still up .5 on the A's

Roughneck93
07-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I see the Rangers have signed Manny Ramirez to a minor league deal.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/9448699/manny-ramirez-signs-minor-league-deal-texas-rangers

SintonFan_inAustin
07-03-2013, 10:23 PM
I see the Rangers have signed Manny Ramirez to a minor league deal.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/9448699/manny-ramirez-signs-minor-league-deal-texas-rangersmaybe a September call up lol.

Tejastrue
07-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Rangers hanging in there. Curious as to Farmersfan's mid-season analysis. lol...

regaleagle
07-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Manny may be called up before Sept. if Cruz is dealt a suspension soon. They'll need a power bat on the bench....if Manny can still hit.

regaleagle
07-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Rangers and Derek Holland hand Schurzer of Detroit his first loss of the season, 7-1. The Rangers dropped the first game of the series to the Tigers yesterday. With most of the starting pitching on the DL for an extended time, the Rangers have still managed to keep pace with the Oakland A's in the AL West. It has to be disheartening for the A's to win all these games and not be able to put some distance between them and the Rangers while Texas has most of its starting rotation on the DL. Kinsler was also on the DL for awhile, as was Moreland. After the All-Star break, we should see some of these starters returning if not all of them. That should bode well for the Rangers in the 2nd half and give the team more opportunities for wins.

Tejastrue
07-13-2013, 10:55 PM
It sure makes me appreciate even more the Rangers' coaching staff from top to bottom. Mike Maddox must have multiple ulcers by now. Holland continues to improve. He has always had the talent but now it seems he is honing the demeanor to be that top 1-2 on the staff. Rangers sure need him to be that guy, especially now. Nice win.

Tejastrue
07-16-2013, 11:07 PM
All Star Game...Rangers' Joe Nathan gets the save for the AL. I hope that is a good omen.

Farmersfan
07-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Rangers hanging in there. Curious as to Farmersfan's mid-season analysis. lol...

Although I have been pleasantly surprised with the Ranger's ability to hang in there so far through some very crippling injuries and stagnant offensive stretches we still have half a season left for them to go into a slide. I have 2 steak dinner bets with my buddy about the Rangers this season. First one is that the Rangers will not win the division and the second one is whether they will be closer to 80 wins or 90 wins when it's all said and done. Looks like it could be a wash. Although the Rangers played 5 games over .500 after the All Star break last season and nobody thinks this team has more potential than last year's team. Or at least they shouldn't. I need the Rangers to go 31-34 or worse the rest of the way to make the second part of the bet a wash or a win for me. I don't see this as unlikely based on the injuries.

waterboy
07-17-2013, 09:35 AM
The Rangers will be getting some pitchers back off the DL in the second half of the season. That should be a good boost. I think the Rangers have a better than good chance of at least being a wildcard team. If Colby Lewis, Yu Darvish, and Alexi Ogando return to form when they come back later this month (possibly), and Matt Harrison and Neftali Feliz come back in late August (possible), the Rangers will have a LOT of good pitching. The one thing I look for the Rangers to do is go after a big bat by the trade deadline to pep up the offense. The Rangers, with all of their injuries are still only 2 games back in the division. If they can hang close until they get their pitchers back, I think they will come back and win the division. If they win the same percentage of games they did in the first half of the season, they will win 92 games (going 38-29 in the 67 games left), which will at least get them in the playoffs. Hopefully, they can be even better than that.

Tejastrue
07-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Although I have been pleasantly surprised with the Ranger's ability to hang in there so far through some very crippling injuries and stagnant offensive stretches we still have half a season left for them to go into a slide. I have 2 steak dinner bets with my buddy about the Rangers this season. First one is that the Rangers will not win the division and the second one is whether they will be closer to 80 wins or 90 wins when it's all said and done. Looks like it could be a wash. Although the Rangers played 5 games over .500 after the All Star break last season and nobody thinks this team has more potential than last year's team. Or at least they shouldn't. I need the Rangers to go 31-34 or worse the rest of the way to make the second part of the bet a wash or a win for me. I don't see this as unlikely based on the injuries.

Winning the division of course will be a very tough task. Even with this lineup, a sub 500 second half is highly unlikely. The way the pitchers have been dropping who's to say.

I don't get all the hoopla about Profar. He does not look like the #1 minor league prospect in all of baseball. I just can't believe Murphy's way below average hitting will continue and Moreland appears to be coming out of his funk since his return from the DL. We all know we may lose Cruz to suspension somewhere along the way and it appears that Manny will be brought up at some pont if he continues his success at Round Rock. I think he's more of a Berkman replacement than anything. It appears as though Berkman's knee will not hold up enough to swing the bat on a consistant basis. When Wash pulled him (PH) the other day for Chirinos was all I needed to see. Hope this will change. I like Berkman. Andrus really needs to pick it up. Signed a big contract and the production drops. Happens all too often. With that being said...with all the struggles and the injuries and to still be in this position only gives hope to an even better second half. As 'waterboy' mentioned those disabled list numbers should begin to dwindle. How productive they will be upon their return is still up in the air. Should get interesting very soon. Go Rangers!!

A recent update on Manny..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1703950-down-on-the-farm-manny-ramirez-making-strides-with-round-rock-express

waterboy
07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday that any suspensions for PEDs won't be enforced until next season. If this is true, Cruz will get to play the rest of the season for sure. I think the addition of Manny Ramirez was insurance, plus they do have a need for another heavy hitter in the lineup, especially with Berkman's health being an issue. Like I said, if the Rangers original pitching staff makes it back in time for the stretch run, I can see the Rangers trading for an additional big bat in the lineup. The offense has been hit and miss this season, but more miss than hit for the most part. If some of the Rangers come out of their slumps they should have enough offense to win a lot of games, and make the playoffs, but to get over the hump they'll likely need one more big bat in the lineup.

Farmersfan
07-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Seems to be a lot of "IFS" being thrown around on here. I'm looking at trends and history. The Rangers have a long history of fading in the second half of the season and I can't see any reason why to think they won't this season also. The question will be just how far back they fade. If these guys can pull it all together and make a deep playoff run I would gladly give up a steak dinner and admit defeat but even if they make the playoffs i suspect it's a one and done exercise in futility. I don't see the firepower with this team.

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Seems to be a lot of "IFS" being thrown around on here. I'm looking at trends and history. The Rangers have a long history of fading in the second half of the season and I can't see any reason why to think they won't this season also. The question will be just how far back they fade. If these guys can pull it all together and make a deep playoff run I would gladly give up a steak dinner and admit defeat but even if they make the playoffs i suspect it's a one and done exercise in futility. I don't see the firepower with this team.

Your going off a past that is not really relevant now..your doing just as many what ifs as anyone else

waterboy
07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Not to mention RECENT history..., excluding last year, the previous two years before that the Rangers pulled away toward the end of the season. Is there any light in that world? I'm a half-full kinda guy. I like to look at the bright side of things. otherwise there's no hope.

Tejastrue
07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I agree Txb. There will always be ifs, ands, or buts. Darvish, Holland, Perez is a decent post season staff as it is and I'd put our bullpen up against anybody in baseball. You have to think that at least one of those DL pitchers will be a major contributor and that would be more than enough for the post season. I absolutely don't see a late season fade.

Macarthur
07-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree Txb. There will always be ifs, ands, or buts. Darvish, Holland, Perez is a decent post season staff as it is and I'd put our bullpen up against anybody in baseball. You have to think that at least one of those DL pitchers will be a major contributor and that would be more than enough for the post season. I absolutely don't see a late season fade.

I like a BP of soria, Nathan, Ross and cotts.

I think we need a starter but I don't think garza is worth the price tag he will demand.

Tejastrue
07-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Yep. That is a heck of a bullpen. I agree that we could use another quality starter. I just don't see it happening. What else is out there besides Garza?

Macarthur
07-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Yep. That is a heck of a bullpen. I agree that we could use another quality starter. I just don't see it happening. What else is out there besides Garza?

Supposedly Chicago has said Chris sale is available. I'm sure they're going to want a fortune for him.

If you could nab sale and rios from Chicago, that would be a huge shot in the arm. However, it would be a huge price.

Tejastrue
07-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Sale would be awesome. Having locked in Kinsler and Andrus for the next 4-5 years I'm sure they'd be more likely to let go of some major infielder prospects like a Profar. As it stands today, I'd be happy with that.

haha..I came across this about Profar.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1694364-mlb-trade-deadline-reasons-the-rangers-shouldnt-trade-jurickson-profar

Tejastrue
07-18-2013, 08:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-looking-upgrade-star-break-212732492--mlb.html

SintonFan_inAustin
07-18-2013, 08:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers-looking-upgrade-star-break-212732492--mlb.htmlAlex Rios would be a good choice. Toronto continues to fade that team has several good hitters that might become available.

Tejastrue
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
It's heating up..

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/texas-rangers-right-handed-pitcher-matt-garza-chicago-cubs-trade-deadline-deal-071813

Tejastrue
07-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow..the deal for Garza may be off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/garza-trade-to-rangers-falls-through-after-medical-records-exchanged-000611579.html

Farmersfan
07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
wondering how everyone is feeling about our Rangers now? They are 6-10 for the month of July so far and have averaged just 2 runs per game in the 10 loses. The pitching is supposed to be their weakness right now yet it is the offense that is letting them down more than the pitching. Thoughts?

waterboy
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
They are most definitely in a slump. The part that upsets me at this point is the base-running blunders, errors, misplays, and lack of fundamentals. Hitting with runners-in-scoring position has been the achilles heel for this team, and in order for the Rangers to come out of this funk, and compete for a playoff spot, that will have to change. The starting pitching has been spotty, but the offense has been non-existent. Several players will have to get on hot streaks to stay in contention, and at this point that hasn't happened. I'm hoping it's just a cycle and it will all come together. If it all comes together, i.e. starting pitching, hot streaks, defense, good base-running, and hitting with runners-in-scoring position, I see no reason why the Rangers can't go on a prolonged winning streak, or a prolonged winning stretch. Will that be enough with the way Oakland is playing right now? Probably not, but a wildcard spot is definitely a possibility.

Farmersfan
07-22-2013, 10:23 AM
They are most definitely in a slump. The part that upsets me at this point is the base-running blunders, errors, misplays, and lack of fundamentals. Hitting with runners-in-scoring position has been the achilles heel for this team, and in order for the Rangers to come out of this funk, and compete for a playoff spot, that will have to change. The starting pitching has been spotty, but the offense has been non-existent. Several players will have to get on hot streaks to stay in contention, and at this point that hasn't happened. I'm hoping it's just a cycle and it will all come together. If it all comes together, i.e. starting pitching, hot streaks, defense, good base-running, and hitting with runners-in-scoring position, I see no reason why the Rangers can't go on a prolonged winning streak, or a prolonged winning stretch. Will that be enough with the way Oakland is playing right now? Probably not, but a wildcard spot is definitely a possibility.

Yea, it does seem like they are making a lot of fielding and base running errors these days. They can ill afford that with the spotty pitching.

Macarthur
07-22-2013, 10:42 AM
The defense and base running are especially frustrating. It reeks of being unfocused. Hitting slumps are going to happen, but this series with Balt was horrific with regards to focus.

Tejastrue
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
I will say it could have been a lot worse but the A's lost 2 of 3 to the Angels. I'm thinking along the same line with a Showalter comment after the game yesterday. It went something like "the Rangers are a lethal team and I feel sorry for whoever they play next."
My thoughts are they are going to break out of this and very soon. Every player top to bottom needs to relax. They seem to be pressing each and every 'at bat'. That carries over to the fielding and baserunning, and what the heck is Pettis doing over there? Go Rangers!

Farmersfan
07-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I will say is it could have been a lot worse but the A's lost 2 of 3 to the Angels. I'm thinking along the same line with a Showalter comment after the game yesterday. It went something like "the Rangers are a lethal team and I feel sorry for whoever they play next."
My thoughts are they are going to break out of this and very soon. Every player top to bottom needs to relax. They seem to be pressing each and every 'at bat'. That carries over to the fielding and baserunning, and what the heck is Pettis doing over there? Go Rangers!

I don't see anyone "PRESSING" at all. I see players playing grab-ass in the dugout. One camera shot showed Beltre and Andrus laughing and wrestling during the 7th inning stretch when the team had done NOTHING the entire game. I don't think they are focused at all.

Tejastrue
07-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Then I guess we look at it differently.

movethechain
07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Wow..the deal for Garza may be off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/garza-trade-to-rangers-falls-through-after-medical-records-exchanged-000611579.html

Looks like they worked things out.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/9500209/source-texas-rangers-agree-deal-matt-garza-chicago-cubs

Deuce
07-22-2013, 06:17 PM
We still need a big bat!

Tejastrue
07-22-2013, 07:34 PM
dang it. they let Olt go.. I know we need an arm but Olt will come back to haunt us as Davis has done. It will really hurt if Garza does not sign with the Rangers after the season. I thought I read somewhere that Garza did not want to leave Chicago. You have to be excited though to see where this rotation just might end up.

Tejastrue
07-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Nice, focused, win by the Rangers last night. Welcome back YU. :wave:

Deuce
07-23-2013, 02:07 PM
dang it. they let Olt go.. I know we need an arm but Olt will come back to haunt us as Davis has done. It will really hurt if Garza does not sign with the Rangers after the season. I thought I read somewhere that Garza did not want to leave Chicago. You have to be excited though to see where this rotation just might end up.

I have seen 2 different reports before the deal was final that Garza said he could see himself being with the Rangers long term because of their ability to be a contender. I like the trade. Olt could be good someday, but wouldn't be able to play his primary position for a few more years. Grimm at best will be a 4 or 5 starters on most rosters.

Tejastrue
07-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't get me wrong..I like the trade. I know it is always a gamble, especially at this time of year. Several of the Ranger players have been teammates of Garza and highly respect him. That speaks volumes. Olt could start for some MLB ball clubs now. He's had the vision problems this year but has since been corrected. He's no Beltre..at least not yet. This is probably the best thing for him as far as his career.

Here is the article on Garza..

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9491748/matt-garza-says-chicago-cubs-told-agent-traded

Deuce
07-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Olt will never be anything close to Beltre!

Roughneck93
07-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Best friends...:inlove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQUl9izjG-o&amp;sns=em

Tejastrue
07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
"Olt will never be anything close to Beltre!"

lol..obviously I'm pretty high on Olt. I think he'll be a good one. Let's see how all this plays out the next few years. In the mean time it looks like the Rangers are in a comeback mode over the Yankees as I post this. Go Rangers!!

Tejastrue
07-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Best friends...http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/images/emots/biggrinlove.gif

LOL:fnypost:

Cam
07-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Garza vs Pettite tomorrow.....

Tejastrue
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Well damn..that was tough to watch. Talk about a crazy strike zone.:bigcry:

Farmersfan
07-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Well damn..that was tough to watch. Talk about a crazy strike zone.:bigcry:

I have always questioned why umpires aren't reprimanded or suspended when they do things like that. It was obviously a case of a strike zone changing in favor of one pitcher over another..............

waterboy
07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I have always questioned why umpires aren't reprimanded or suspended when they do things like that. It was obviously a case of a strike zone changing in favor of one pitcher over another..............

Yes, and it seems it varies from umpire to umpire. I noticed in most of the games this year that "most" umpires are calling the low strikes, even those that are barely touching the bottom of the "pitch trax" box, while a few can't seem to see the ball well enough to make that judgment even when the ball is all the way in that box (such as happened last night). A pitcher still has to be able to not let it get into his head, and do what it takes to get players out. That's easier said than done, though, and I could tell that it affected Nathan negatively last night. Circumstances like last night are a prime reasons why the league should get together and change their approach, levying demotions, fines, or suspensions for poor judgment by umpires. I believe the Rangers would've won last night's game had it not been for a poor umpire.

Deuce
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a great picture of a pitch sequence by Nathan and Martins AB vs. Rivera but not sure how to post it from my phone. Ridiculous how bad the ump was. They need to start fining these guys for crap like that.

waterboy
07-24-2013, 10:59 AM
I have a great picture of a pitch sequence by Nathan and Martins AB vs. Rivera but not sure how to post it from my phone. Ridiculous how bad the ump was. They need to start fining these guys for crap like that.

I agree. See my above post. I have no doubt it cost the Rangers a win last night.

Deuce
07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
The 2 leadoff doubles that we wasted earlier in the game didn't help matters.

Tejastrue
07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
It does appear the ump was trying to make Nathan throw belt high pitches for strikes and those outside pitches to the Rangers in the ninth :dispntd:...Rivera needs no help but he was handed so many gifts in that inning you'd thought it was his final game and not just season. I agree Farmersfan..calls like that need to be questioned. Oh well. Now we move on and hope Garza continues his dominance tonight.

Farmersfan
07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
It does appear the ump was trying to make Nathan throw belt high pitches for strikes and those outside pitches to the Rangers in the ninth :dispntd:...Rivera needs no help but he was handed so many gifts in that inning you'd thought it was his final game and not just season. I agree Farmersfan..calls like that need to be questioned. Oh well. Now we move on and hope Garza continues his dominance tonight.

Even Tom Grieve said right after that happened that the umpire was taking 50% of Nathan's weapons away from him. Nathan is a ground ball pitcher in those situations and the ump was taking that away from him by making him keep the ball up in the zone......

movethechain
07-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Didn't we see that same guy during the NFL referee strike as one of the replacements? Seems like the same kind of calls, and non-calls. Maybe the heat finally got to him and impaired his judgement, but he sure seemed to suddenly become biased against Texas and all for NY.

Tejastrue
07-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Garza was as expected. Nice win for the Rangers. That dang Pettite can still bring it though..and Neal Cotts has been an awesome find and a great story.

Farmersfan
07-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Garza was as expected. Nice win for the Rangers. That dang Pettite can still bring it though..and Neal Cotts has been an awesome find and a great story.

Rangers should be going into game 4 of this series looking for the sweep.........

Deuce
07-25-2013, 08:27 AM
You have to love the swagger and edge that Garza shows on the mound. Great outing last night. Still thinking we need to add another bat to this lineup for the stretch run.And YES we should be looking for the sweep today!

Macarthur
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Rangers should be going into game 4 of this series looking for the sweep.........

Agreed. I'm still pissed about Tuesday.

Umps missing calls happens but the fact that he totally changed his zone when Nathan cam in and missed multiple calls even after pierzinski called him on it is very frustrating. And on top of that he was calling strikes for Rivera that he had not called all night.

That's not missing a call here and there. Wen a guy makes a complete shift in his pattern in the middle of the game, that reeks of something....not sure what, but something!

Tejastrue
07-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I think we all are still pissed about that game. Hope the season doesn't come down to the last game again.

Cam
07-25-2013, 01:08 PM

:vrycnfsd:......can somebody please tell me what a sweep is?.....I thought the Rangers lost game 2 the other night??.......:vrycnfsd:

Tejastrue
07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Did you watch game 2?

Cam
07-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Did you watch game 2?

yeah, wasn't that one 5-4 Yanks....Nathan blew it??.....cause the ump don't like him and thinks Rivera is a way more handsome man????.....

Tejastrue
07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
haha...not exactly, but it is a blown save nevertheless

Rangers let a 'grinder' pitching effort by Holland go to waste today.

regaleagle
07-25-2013, 11:46 PM
All in all, the team is a well-rounded team that has had trouble with lots of injuries in the rotation and a few of the key players for a short time. Sometimes playing some of the younger players can disrupt the chemistry for awhile until the core of the team is back and playing daily. I think this is part of what has happened to the Rangers, and it has been a struggle to get this team thru all these disruptions so far this season, but they have still managed to win games that they needed to win and when they needed those wins. These kind of hard-working wins can take a toll on the players over time, causing lapses in quality of play and mental mistakes. It's much easier for players to play aggressively when the team chemistry is good and the team doesn't feel like they are working hard for wins. Mistakes seem to disappear, the players play sharper, and the bats swing more freely. Oakland is on a roll like that. Hopefully, Texas can find that feeling again and get rolling....they have the ingredients to do it.

Tejastrue
07-26-2013, 01:00 AM
They have the ingredients but can ill afford to go 2-5 on a homestands like this one. Some of the veterans are the main problem. Beltre is batting 220 with risp. Not very good for a cleanup hitter. That has to change. Murphy is downright awful at a buck 80. I know they have the ability so I'm just struggling along with them on this but something has got to give and soon. Maybe picking up that one extra bat via trade will spark something. I thought Berkman would be an intregral part of this team at this stage of the season but it appears he was damaged goods from the get go.

Deuce
07-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Another quality start by Holland and the hitting just stunk. We need another good stick in a bad way and realistically need 2.

movethechain
07-26-2013, 01:36 PM
On a possitive note, I read where Adrian Beltre has made 78 straight plate appearances without a strikeout (17 straight games) and is leading the majors in that category. Sad about the RISP problem that seems to be holding the team back. Too many opportunities "lost".

Tejastrue
07-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Rangers, Rangers, Rangers, mercy me...:crying:

Tejastrue
07-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Cleveland sucks...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sucker-punch-kept-rangers-reliever-210020424--mlb.html

Tejastrue
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice comeback win tonight. Maybe this will be the game that gets things turned around. Go Rangers!

regaleagle
07-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Surprise, surprise, surprise!!!! The Rangers' two catchers ( Pierzynski & Soto) each homered in the bottom of the 9th in Arlington against the Angels to win it. Pierzynski's lead-off shot to right field tied the score to start the inning, then with 2 outs Soto hit his walk-off winner down the left field line for a solo shot that ended in great celebration for a slumping Rangers line-up. This was the first game in the series against the Angels in a homestand at Arlington that the Rangers desperately need to sweep.

regaleagle
07-31-2013, 01:48 AM
Another Rangers-Angels game decided in 10 innings tonite. Soto hit another key homer, a 3-run one, to bring the Rangers back to within one run 11-10 in the bottom of the eighth. Kinsler walked and stole 2nd in the ninth, then Beltre singled him home to tie it, taking the game to extra innings. In the bottom of the 10th Leodis Martin hits a 3-run walk-off homer down the left field line to win it in 10 for the Rangers. There were 35 hits tonite , and 14 pitchers used between the teams. Toronto defeated Oakland tonite, so the Rangers pick up a full game for the first time in a loooong time against the AL West-leading A's. Perhaps with the hitting last nite and tonite(24 hits total) the Rangers are coming out of their funk. A sweep of the Angels with a win tomorrow nite, esp. if the A's lose again, would do wonders for the team psyche and give them a sense of renewed confidence to make a run at the A's for the AL West title.

Tejastrue
07-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Rangers refused to lose last night. Wild, crazy game. Bullpen finally laid a big-time egg but the offense bailed them out. Looks like Mr. Mo is back in town. Time to make a run!

I don't care who you cheer for...the Angels' Mike Trout is something special to watch. The kind of player every team wished they had.

Tejastrue
07-31-2013, 02:49 PM
A possible Michael Young return?? I like the idea.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1722412-texas-rangers-trade-rumors-michael-young-reunion-would-be-wise-move