PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail from my TX State Senator on SB 573

Matthew328
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Here's my e-mail from Rep Lon Burnham-D out of Fort Worth:

Dear Mr. Stepp,
Thank you for letting me know about your opposition to Senate Bill 573. I also oppose this bill. As a strong supporter of public education in Texas, I have deep concerns about any bill that would put our schools at a disadvantage to private schools.

Unfortunately, there are a number of bills in the House and the Senate that would allow private interests to encroach on our public school system. I am proud to have consistently opposed this encroachment during my time in the legislature, and will continue to do so this session.

I appreciate your interest in education. You may be interested to know that I put out a bimonthly EdAlert newsletter covering education issues in Texas. I've attached a copy of a past issue to this email, in case you would like to check it out. If you would like to receive my EdAlerts, just let me know, and I'll sign you up.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional concerns or opinions. I look forward to working with you to make Texas a better place for everyone.
Thank you for your continued support.

Best regards,
Lon Burnam

Matthew328
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
sorry state Rep

rancher
04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
He is another proud Obama supporter along with the feetsball coaches association and teachers union. This bill is rolling down the track, Good for Texas and Good for the Citizens of the State. Free Choice.

Matthew328
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I could personally care less how much a state senator supports a president or their policies....they dont vote on federal policies, I vote for my state senators based on their statewide policy/platform

slingshot
04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
He is another proud Obama supporter along with the feetsball coaches association and teachers union. This bill is rolling down the track, Good for Texas and Good for the Citizens of the State. Free Choice.Hope you're wrong. Staunch Republican here... but the party is on the wrong side on this issue. If this crap goes through it will absolutely ruin our public education system. And our high school athletics.

Aesculus gilmus
04-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Hope you're wrong. Staunch Republican here... but the party is on the wrong side on this issue. If this crap goes through it will absolutely ruin our public education system. And our high school athletics.

That doesn't matter in an electoral sense, though, because all the sheep will still line up and vote for the "cool" party.

Texans are herd animals politically. It's been a one-party state throughout most of its history.

In this state, the big money interests and the Southern Baptists always make common cause on what is to be considered the "cool" party. That'll never change. This is why I follow Texas sports instead of politics. In most sports (except pro wrestling), there is actual competition.

Rabid Cougar
04-02-2013, 08:32 AM
In most sports (except pro wrestling), there is actual competition.

Oh NOW you have crossed the LINE!

Phil C
04-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Mr. Gilmus has obviously never been in a pro wrestling ring.

Macarthur
04-02-2013, 09:55 AM
He is another proud Obama supporter along with the feetsball coaches association and teachers union. This bill is rolling down the track, Good for Texas and Good for the Citizens of the State. Free Choice.

Rancher, I believe you are truly misreading this issue. This has nothing to do with 'choice', as you put it.

This is about a level playing field. I posed a question to you in the other thread and you conveniently did not answer.

Do you think it's fair competition for Celina to play Allen HS in football?

Phil C
04-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Matthew was mainly giving us information about SB 573. Let's stick to that point for now.

Aesculus gilmus
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Matthew was mainly giving us information about SB 573. Let's stick to that point for now.

The point I got from Matthew's letter and reply is that one of the few legislators who is not a Republican agrees with Matthew and most on this board. The point I made back is that this is irrelevant as there is only one party that is competitive in the state and it is not the one to which Rep. Burnham belongs. Burnham's party has not elected a statewide candidate since 1994. The dominant political party of Texas is not in favor of the public schools as they currently exist.

Also, there are no "teachers' unions" in Texas in the sense that term is used on FOX News, which is where the poster above probably heard it.

Matthew328
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Gilmus is right...most in this state (and country for that matter) blindly vote a party ticket instead of reviewing each candidate and the issues at hand....although I generally classify myself as a republican I have voted for democrats in the past and will continue to do so if I agree with the majority of their platform...

BwdLion73
04-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Emails we send to our politicians are to make us feel better.

I'm sure the Senator did not nor will ever read that email.

Some young office aid pulled out the boilermaker reply chart and took care of it. Unless some type of ground swell of responses come in to trigger the hey we've had X number of voters on this issue SB-573 does not concern him.

Matthew328
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Emails we send to our politicians are to make us feel better.

I'm sure the Senator did not nor will ever read that email.

Some young office aid pulled out the boilermaker reply chart and took care of it. Unless some type of ground swell of responses come in to trigger the hey we've had X number of voters on this issue SB-573 does not concern him.

It's actually not an office aid, I got a phone call from Rep. Burnham this morning about it...maybe my position as "media" got a different response from the office...but I am happy that Rep. Burnham is at least not in favor of this bill...

BwdLion73
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
It's actually not an office aid, I got a phone call from Rep. Burnham this morning about it...maybe my position as "media" got a different response from the office...but I am happy that Rep. Burnham is at least not in favor of this bill...

Oh I think more people should do what you did. I applaud you for your efforts. Keep up with the bill and see how they vote.

rancher
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
He may be against it, but dont look now a DEMOCRAT IS CARRYING THIS BILL IN THE HOUSE. Better find another battle to fight, like how high the insurance rates are going up for teachers and feetsball coaches. This will hit you where it hurts in the pocketbook.

Matthew328
04-02-2013, 03:46 PM
All I can do is speak for my vote in my particular district, whichever democrat is pushing for the bill along with Patrick, the folks in his district if they dont agree with it should let them know...

Yoe_09
04-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Got this from the 2A site:

"Thanks so much for writing to me in your office at the State House about SB 573!
I understand your perspective on the issue of allowing private schools into the UIL. However, I must respectively disagree with your position. Having a smaller student body actually puts private schools in a disadvantaged position on a playing field because private schools have fewer students to pull athletic talent from. Private schools will not be out recruiting athletes. They seek students who are in line with their principles, not so a school can win a few sporting events. In allowing private schools into the UIL, students will have better exposure on the playing field, helping those young athletes get attention from colleges who may offer scholarships. This is the same exposure public schools students garner.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. It's a deep honor to represent you in Austin. If there's anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to call or email any time!
God Bless You and God Bless Texas,"
Pat Fallon, member
Texas House of Representatives Denton County

Yoe_09
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I understand his points, but the main question I have is whether or not ALL private schools would follow in that same path???

Matthew328
04-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I understand his points, but the main question I have is whether or not ALL private schools would follow in that same path???

That rep should take a look at the # of private schools kids signing scholarships....if you can play they'll find you...as for schools getting kids in line with their principles?? Take a look at Grace Prep....as soon the coach left the kids left also guess they all of a sudden didnt fall in line w/the schools principles...

Macarthur
04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Rep Fallon could not be more wrong on this issue.

Aesculus gilmus
04-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Rep Fallon could not be more wrong on this issue.

The people who have money by and large (outside of Highland Park-like settings) send their children to private schools. The people with money control the political process.

They decided we'd have one party in control (makes it easier to buy influence) and so I supposed the letter sent by the Denton County rep could have been boiled down to this phrase: "Suck on that!"

When you don't have a competitive political system, you are just wasting your time with these letters.

Macarthur
04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
The people who have money by and large (outside of Highland Park-like settings) send their children to private schools. The people with money control the political process.

They decided we'd have one party in control (makes it easier to buy influence) and so I supposed the letter sent by the Denton County rep could have been boiled down to this phrase: "Suck on that!"

When you don't have a competitive political system, you are just wasting your time with these letters.

Hard to argue with that.